Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this will fit into your database as he is a pre Great War Forester.

William Hurst/ 4716 / 19th july 1894 /1st batt then 2nd Batt in Nov.1895

Maureen

• 4 months later...

Pte. Thomas James Evans 102402 7th Battalion Notts & Derby Regiment, joined from the 8th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment service number 381465 on March 29th, 1918, transferring out and into the Royal Warwickshire Regiment 16th Battalion, service number 52270 on August 26th, 1918.

Thank you to everyone for your recent additions. They are all much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Second Lieutenant Arthur Noel Eyre, Chesterfield Grammar School, 1/6th Sherwoods, enlisted 25/10/1916, promoted Lieutenant 25/4/1918, transferred RFC 25/8/1918, observer 57 squadron, shot down in a DH4 over Cambrai 26/9/1918, Arras Flying Services Memorial, no known grave

Don't know if this helps.

My great uncle David Alexander brown was killed near Le Cateau on 10/10/18. At the time he was serving with 9th Btn Yorks Regt (30004). However in some records he is showen as previously serving with SF's Service number 32797. Don't have any more info - born 07/11/1896 in Newry. Enlistment date is probably late 1915. Any help appreciated. David

Andrew

Have trawled through the forum and found that you are building a database of the SF's. Wondered if you can add some detail to what I have.

Have come across a James William Raynor from the National Archive medal indexes. He served in the Nottingham and Derby Regiment and his regimental number is 1786. I know from this document that he was in France in February 1915 and discharged (or that is what I think it is indicating) October 1915.

It is the only record I can find of this possible ancester that is a complete name match. He lived in Leicester at the time of joining the Army.

Any detail you have would be really helpful.

Regards

Paul

DMannus - not much to on, I'm afraid but using the Silver War Badge list I have (nearly) finished transcribing, I'd estimate your Great Uncle's enlistment as on or around the 15th or 16th November 1916 as the numbers close to that are all of those dates. Other than that, not much else appears. He isn't in the British War Medal list either for the Notts and Derbys at all.

Raynorscruples - James William Raynor, 1786, Private 1/7th Battalion Notts and Derbys.

Enlisted 19/05/1913 and was discharged due to Wounds 21/10/1915 and awarded Silver War Badge number 7179. He entered France on 28/02/1915 along with the rest of the Division.

The 1/7th Notts and Derbys was a Territorial battalion focused around Nottingham City itself. Having joined in 1913, I would suggest that if this is your man, he either lived or worked in Nottingham. There is no absolute in that statement but if he didn't have a connection with Nottingham I would have thought that living in Leicester he would have joined a more local battalion.

John Matthews / 5895 (later 242131) / 7th Oct 1916 / 2/6th Bn

The above information taken from his diary.

Best wishes

Reuben

No problem Gavin. If you ever get the answer please let me know - especially if I'm wrong!

Andrew,

It's taken me over two years to prove you right, but I can now confirm that 8488 Charles Coomber enlisted on the 4th November 1902!

Regards

Gavin

Thank you everyone for recent additions.

Paul - unfotunately I am unable to offer anything more than what is in the service records.

Gavin - thanks!!

Hi Andrew I Have A copy of my Great uncles attestation ,unfortunately It is too big to upload,however he signed 16/12/1915 and was approved on 4/2/1916 his regimental no. was 35182,but he was transfered to the labour (transf. to (116420) 195th Coy). corps before his death on 7/8/1917

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been doing some research for a friend......

685 Joseph Green

Enlisted in the 2nd Bn Notts & Derby Volunteers 16 Aug 1897 (think with Service number 4834)

Left 30 Nov 1902 (Wife expecting)

Rejoined 21 Mar 1904 (think with Service number 6803)

Attested into 6th Bn Territorials 30th May 1908 for 1 year Service Number 685

re-engaged 21 Dec 1908 for 3 years

re-engaged 23 Mar 1911 for 2 years

re-engaged 26 Jan 1913 for 1 year

re-engaged 24 April 1914 for 1 year

Papers show date of 5th Aug 1914 in Embodied Service section

papers post 1917 show number 240056

Disembodied on discharge 13 Mar 1919

Interestingly his MIC shows 25th Feb 1915 as date entered into Theatre of War, although all of the paperwork shows 6th battalion. I assume he was used as a replacement for men lost by the 1st or 2nd battalions.

Hope it's of use... papers are on Ancestry for anyone interested (30+ pages)

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, and to everyone else who has been posting the occasional nugget. It is all very valuable stuff.

Hi, I've just been given the Discharge Certificate and Protection and Identity Certificate for my gt-gt-granddad

Sjt John William Learoyd 104110, 21st Notts + Derby Regt

enlisted Leeds on 5/9/1914

discharged 14/12/1918

~ It does however say on his discharge that he was first posted to the West Yorkshire Regt although the West Yorks isn't mentioned on his medal card.

hope this is useful

Amanda

Just had a closer look and where it says unit and corps I could have misread 2/Notts + Derby Regt as 21.

Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that queries regarding SF numbers crop up quite frequently. As a result I began, a while ago, developing a database containing information on number, date of enlistment and battalion. From this I have already been able to significantly narrow down the likely time of enlistment within some number ranges and in some cases can now give a precise date (or close to it). However, I've now run out of my own raw material so I'm asking if anyone else can add to it.

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

If you can help, could you provide information in the following format, either below or via PM:

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi

Just one at the moment, Private George Henry BRYAN, 70652, 7th Bn Nots and Derby Regt. enlisted 27th January 1916. Regards Michael

Hi Andrew - a strange one for your records

Pte Isaac Smith, his Pension Appeals Tribunal papers show his service record as

18.1.16 Sherwood Frsts - service number 49315

His service with them seems to have ended the same day (but they don't say why) and he re-enlists on 22.5.16, this time with the Connaught Rangers where he stays until he's transferred to the Labour Corps on 28.12.18

Kind regards,

Trevor Bayley

Thank you for the additional info everyone.

Trevor - an odd one. The great Mike Briggs had a theory about that kind of service number, but I can't remember what it was!

Not as much as it's puzzled me ! In and out of the army in a single day !

The link confirms his Notts and Derby service number together with his Labour Corps service number (which appears on his MM Medal Index Card), and the copy of his Pension Appeal Tribunal front sheet confirms his one days enlistment -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=99

post-11359-1226519819.jpg

post-11359-1226520370.jpg

Good Morning Andrew,

I have some information for you on the two Sherwood Foresters on the Anstey memorial.

120061 Cecil Sheppard Slingsby 4th Btn. enlisted 10.12.1915.

I have been informed by the local historian that Cecil had a gun shot wound to the head and died from the effects of this in 1920. Cecil is buried at the Anstey cemetery. I'll attach the Casualty Form - Active Service from his records with the enlistment date shown along with a service reckons from date of 1.7.1918.

CasualtyFormActiveServiceMedium.jpg

The other name with the Sherwoods is 202039 Harry Botterill 2/5th Btn. formerly with the Leicesters 24848. I believe that you may already have Harry on your database as you have kindly helped me with information before.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Regards. Llew.

18358 Pte (acting unpaid Cpl) Richard Chatten attested on 31/10/1914.

3rd Battalion until 14/11/1915 when he was transferred into 9th Bn. Oct 1918 - Gassed and demobbed.

Steve M

Private GEORGE HENRY WINDLEY

41885, 15th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

who died age 26 on 20 October 1917 The Salient, Ypres, Belgium

Serjeant JOHN WINDLEY

265025, 1st/7th Bn., Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

who died on 14 July 1917

My cousins 3 times removed. I dont have an enlistment date, if anyone can help Id appreciate it.

Guest edward@scottsrus.co.uk

Bert Jobson, Sherwood Forresters 12th Batt Notts & Derby Regiment, regt no. 16596, entered France 29.08.1915, discharged 10.05.1916. Medal record shows him (from the top down) as L/Sjt and Cpl.

Hope this helps.

According to my father in law, he was discharged due to being wounded at Ypres.

Is there a way to gain more info on this?

I have tried to find the diearies at Kew & failed.