Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Forester Enlistment Date Database

Andrew Hesketh

I have his date of death as 27 September 1916 not 30th.

If you have other details on him, I would love to have them.

There was no certain proof that he was wounded during The Battle of Thiepval 26-28 September 1916 but as with the others - highly probable. He is mentioned on page 71 with the other men buried at Puchevillers.

Steve m

I have his army service record and some background family history (he was my grandfather's brother) which I will e-mail to you.

You are right he was killed on the 27th (still learning how to interpret the records - this is all new to me - part of researching the family history for my father).

If you have a photograph of the grave it would be gratefully recieved - it would delight my father who is too frail to travel.

Thanks again for your help in this thread Mike, I have received a lot more information today and have started a thread in the 'Soldiers' section. :)

Guest pollyriley

Hope this works:

This is my grandfather's medal card.

He enlisted in 1911, at the age of 18 (the numbers on his attestion forms are four digit numbers). I have these if you would like those numbers.

He served again in WW2.

post-43903-1237592547.jpg

• 1 month later...

Andrew

Do have 13696 Private Arthur Arnold 9th Suffolk

Enlisted at West Row on 8th Sep 1914

Sep 22nd 1916 GSW L Leg + Arm

Transferred to 52nd (Grad) Battn Training Res (Bedfordshire Regt). TR/917121

Transferred to Sherwood Foresters 7th Apr 1918 103419

Killed in Action 22nd Apr 1918 http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=72616

I'm sure he is the one listed on the plaque to those who served from the parish of Mildenhall Suffolk but I can't find where he was born do you have any info on him.

Regards

Ray

• 1 month later...
Anthony, any that you've got will be welcome.

Ken, thanks for that. 9793 (if my databse thus far is working) would suggest an enlistment date of no later than the end of 1907 - probably 1906. I don't have too many men with definite dates in the 9*** range so every new one is useful. Quite a few 9*** men appear to have been reservists recalled to the colours in August 1914 and all thus far appear to be 2nd Battalion, like your man.

Keep 'em coming please! :)

Hi Andrew,

Your estimate of 1904/5/6 for my grandfather Samuel Smith s/no. 9727 1st N&D could be correct, I've the 1911 census for the 1st, & he's there in Trimulgherry India, he's aged 24 with his Brother Charles aged 21.

Samuel died with the 2nd Btn in Nov 1914, but Charles survived.

His medal card only gives his 2nd Btn service no. could he have kept the same one?

Details of who was also in the 1st at Trimulgherry can be found here:- 1st Btn N&D India 1911

Andrew,

Here's another one for you ...

Pte Horace BOWERS, 1st/7th SF (Robon Hood Rifles), number 1943, renumbered in TF re-numbering to 265253

Enlisted 10 Dec 1913

Embarked 28 Feb 1915

Disembodied 17 Mar 1919

Here's the full info:

Help for a newbie needed ....... please :), Horace Arthur Bowers

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that queries regarding SF numbers crop up quite frequently. As a result I began, a while ago, developing a database containing information on number, date of enlistment and battalion. From this I have already been able to significantly narrow down the likely time of enlistment within some number ranges and in some cases can now give a precise date (or close to it). However, I've now run out of my own raw material so I'm asking if anyone else can add to it.

If you have a Forester, his number and known date of enlistment I'd like to hear from you, even if the enlistment date is not precise - a known month would still help (however, any dates must be known, not merely assumed!)

If you can help, could you provide information in the following format, either below or via PM:

Name / Number / Enlistment Date / Battalion /

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Andrew I have a Prvt William Spencer Reg No 13529 enlisted in Derby 26th August 1914. Not sure of Battalion but think it may be the 1st.

Bunt.

Hi Andrew I have a Prvt William Spencer Reg No 13529 enlisted in Derby 16th August 1914. Not sure of Battalion but think it may be the 1st.

Bunt.

According to the Silver War Badge records he enlisted on 26/08/1914 which falls into the sequence of numbers around his, however, it was all a muddle at that time which may cover the discrepancy. He served in the 1st Battalion until he was discharged on 09/08/1917 due to wounds and received SWB 235194.

James O'Hara

Bunt, Just to add a little more information already given, he originally joined the 3rd Battalion which was a holding Btn serving in 'H' Company.

It shows in the 1st Bn Roll as joining the 1st Battalion Notts and Derby Regt on 23rd December 1914 and served with "D" company, date of entry into the war was near the end of December 1914, a draft of 165 men was sent out from home under Lt Weigall which arrived at the front about Christmas Eve. Entitled to the 1914-15 Star, BWM/Victory medal and Silver War Badge (SWB) No 235194. BRONNO.

According to the Silver War Badge records he enlisted on 26/08/1914 which falls into the sequence of numbers around his, however, it was all a muddle at that time which may cover the discrepancy. He served in the 1st Battalion until he was discharged on 09/08/1917 due to wounds and received SWB 235194.

James O'Hara

my husbands great uncle was Ernest Pilkington 2nd/5th Battn no 42048. He was born 1896 and died 21 March 1918- He is listed as killed in action, but strangely the theatre of war is listed as Aldershot.....

My great-grandfather George William Gimber was transferred (as 2nd Lieut.) to the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters 26th April 1917. I believe he spent some time at the front in Italy, but not much else. I'm hoping that his service record from the MOD will give more details...

Guest PThornton

Hi

I am not sure about military stuff but here goes.

My grandfather William Town b 12/08/1893 was in the 1/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry No. 1631. He enlisted at Church Gresley Derbyshire in 1914. Do not have the exact date but he was in Egypt 27/04/1915. Transferred to the 1/6 Notts & Derby Regiment (Sherwood Forresters) No. 242472. D.O.W. 30/04/1917 and is buried in Wimereaux Communal Cemetery France. Unfortunately this is all I can find out about him.

Also my step great grandfather Patrick Igo enlisted in the Derbyshire Regiment Foot at Chesterfield on 01/07/1887 No. 1950. Transferred to the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers 29/05/1901 No. 7983.

Hope this helps your cause.

Cheers

Pam :rolleyes:

Hi Andrew,

Here is one I hope you haveny already got.

Ben Gundry Pte 22515 Enlisted 18th Jan 1915 9th Bn KIA 9/8/15 - Source newspaper report

Richard

My grandfather William Town b 12/08/1893 was in the 1/1 Derbyshire Yeomanry No. 1631. He enlisted at Church Gresley Derbyshire in 1914. Do not have the exact date but he was in Egypt 27/04/1915. Transferred to the 1/6 Notts & Derby Regiment (Sherwood Forresters) No. 242472. D.O.W. 30/04/1917 and is buried in Wimereaux Communal Cemetery France. Unfortunately this is all I can find out about him.

Pam

William probably joined the 1/6th Battalion around January 1917 in what I think was the 29th reinforcement. The was a whole bunch of ex Derbys Yeomanry and Notts Hussars that were transfered to the 1/6th at the time

Mike

My great-grandfather George William Gimber was transferred (as 2nd Lieut.) to the 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters 26th April 1917. I believe he spent some time at the front in Italy, but not much else. I'm hoping that his service record from the MOD will give more details...

Some information on your Great Grandfather.

GEORGE WILLIAM GIMBER served as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 11th Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters 26th April 1917, Lieutenant 26th October 1918. He became the Signals Officer 4th June 1918 and then left the Battalion on the 29th June 1918. He was admitted to Hospital 11th September 1918 later rejoining the 11th Battalion on the 13th November 1918 from Italy. He was accidentally wounded on the 27th November 1918 being sent home to England for Demobilization on the 10th February 1919. Extracts from data base and war diary. BRONNO.

Hi

I am not sure about military stuff but here goes.

Also my step great grandfather Patrick Igo enlisted in the Derbyshire Regiment Foot at Chesterfield on 01/07/1887 No. 1950. Transferred to the 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers 29/05/1901 No. 7983.

Hope this helps your cause.

Cheers

Pam :rolleyes:

Hi Pam, i can add a little more.

William Town served in the Mediterranean with the Derbyshire Yeomanry and was invalided home.

After convalescence he was sent to Ireland and in December 1916 was drafted into Sherwood Foresters.

To France on 4th January 1917.

Some information i hold also shows him as with "C" Company and was wounded on 23rd April 1917 during the attack on Fosse 3 at Lievin.

The Burton Chronicle dated 3rd May 1917 also shows that he was seriously wounded in the legs, arms and jaw.

In civilian life he was a stoker employed by Messrs Sutton and Company at their works in Overseal, South Derbyshire.

1950. Patrick Igo in the Regimental Journal "I'm 95" of January 1899 it shows that he was a Lance Corporal with the 2nd Battalion, The Derbyshire Regiment and was awarded a 2nd class Schools Certificate.

BRONNO.

Some information on your Great Grandfather.

GEORGE WILLIAM GIMBER served as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 11th Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters 26th April 1917, Lieutenant 26th October 1918. He became the Signals Officer 4th June 1918 and then left the Battalion on the 29th June 1918. He was admitted to Hospital 11th September 1918 later rejoining the 11th Battalion on the 13th November 1918 from Italy. He was accidentally wounded on the 27th November 1918 being sent home to England for Demobilization on the 10th February 1919. Extracts from data base and war diary. BRONNO.

Thank you so much BRONNO! I didn't know any of that.

He was in England on 14th August 1918 - because on that day he married my great-grandmother in Whitwell.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather, Walter Foster Ryder 15460 enlisted on the 6th September 1914 and served with the 10th (service) Battalion until being discharged as no longer fit for service on the 8th July 1916.

Hello Andrew.

I have been researching my family history in England from over here in Australia and have found the following which may be of interest top you.

My G Uncle George Proctor, b1886, (George's mothers surname was Hyde but not sure why he used his grandmothers maiden surname of Proctor - still trying to work that one out!) but he was born in Fairfield, Joined Notts & Derby SF 11th Bn, enlisted in Chesterfield (date unknown). His service number is 17965. He died on 4/4/1917 at home in Buxton from wounds recieved in France at Fleurbaix on 6th March 1916. There is newspaper article in the Buxton Advertiser, pg 4 dated 14/4/1917 commemorating his death (copy attached). He is buried at St Peters Church in Fairfield

Regards.

Lindsay H

post-46021-1250833485.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew

I have a 2689 Pte Sidney Enser, 7 Bn. Sherwood Foresters. Landed in France 28 Feb 1915. He later served with 10 Bn. In January 1917 was commissioned into Northumberland Fusiliers. He had family connections with the regiment going back to the early 19 century. Any infomation you have on him would be gratefully recieved.

Ian

Andrew

Another Sherwood Forester - my wife's paternal grandfather.

Frank Bestall

enlisted/attested 11 Dec 1915

mobilised 23 Oct 1916

joined 3rd Btn

He was subsequently posted to 245 coy MCG on 14 April 1917. I'm assumng that his no. did not change when he transferred to the MCG.

Regards

Chris