The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

found on the somme

SHARONCMAUD

Cheers mate. Mystery solved.

Rgds

Tim

Sharon,

be assured that thanks to your efforts a few Pal's from the Forum will now put Pte Wilkinson and Gunner Aspden on their 'to visit' lists. their memories will live on.

If you are going over on the 1st July I believe there is a planned meet of Pal's being organised elsewhere on this site.

On my last visit over I was very interested in a wonderful farm building and outhouses for sale at Beaumont Hamel, just a pipe dream however.

Regards,

Scottie.

i know what you mean we saw a beautiful house next to Dantzig Alley, would have made a beautiful english tea room and museum, i rue the day we didn't get the telephone number, can't wait to go back and see if it's still for sale, I would be eternally grateful, if you Pals visit, once a year is just not enough, Tim was thrilled when he read your message, very touching. We live in Accrington - and we all know what that means, we have a huge hill, and the council have recieved a grant to put something on the top, you wouldn't believe the things they have come up with, so I am working very hard on getting something to remind us of all those that left this mortal earth on the 1st July, even suggesting my husband becomes a town councillor !!! We visited Beaumont Hamel, aren't the people there lovely, got a lovely photo of our grand-daughter with a Canadian Guide !! I have never been on a holiday that has affected me so much...but people really must visit to understand just what we mean...met a lovely man in Tommy's Bar, whose father had wrote a book on the Sheffield Pals, and he had moved out there permanently last year, and has offered us a place to stay, unfortunately he wasn't on the internet, and I have no way of contacting him - If anyone out there knows this man - PLEASE let me know - it's a long shot, but then again so was returning this to the family !!!! Never say NEVER !!!

post-10587-1141870072.jpg

Sharon,

be assured that thanks to your efforts a few Pal's from the Forum will now put Pte Wilkinson and Gunner Aspden on their 'to visit' lists. their memories will live on.

If you are going over on the 1st July I believe there is a planned meet of Pal's being organised elsewhere on this site.

On my last visit over I was very interested in a wonderful farm building and outhouses for sale at Beaumont Hamel, just a pipe dream however.

Regards,

Scottie.

post-10587-1141870553.jpg

post-10587-1141870706.jpg

Sharon,

You're right again - time difference plus work has prevented me from posting until now.

I'm so glad the GWF has helped fullfil you goal. It's amazing what can be achieved when such a dedicated group of like minded people get together from every corner of the world.

I must admit, this quest got under my skin as well and there was no way I was going to let it go until we had success. And isn't that moment of success so satisfying.

I'll email or PM you both Len Wilkinson's address and mine. If you like, you can forward the plaque with photos to me and I'll organize a copy of Andrew Wilkinson's Service Record and then forward the whole lot on to Len. Ok, I'll admit to a bit of selfishness here - it's also because after this search I've just got to have a look and actually hold the plaque at least once!!!

But if you wish to send it to Len directly, please do so - I understand how it's become almost a personal issue that you feel only you can complete.

Tim L.

Sharon,

Got the details Tim , thanks a lot - To be on the safe side, your right I shall post it to YOU forthwith, you deserve that much, shall post out on Monday recorded, no problem doing this as it really never belonged to me in the first place, To everyone else, thank you so much for taking this emotional journey with me. GOD BLESS YOU ALL. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK .

Hello Sharon

We got a photo of Andrew James Wilkinson's grave for you this afternoon.Glad to be able to help.

You are too late for the house though. It's been sold!!!

Dawn and Philippe

Dawn and Phillipe,

Could you post a copy of the photo here and possibly email me a copy. When I receive the plaque from Sharon, Id like to put it together with Wilkinson's service record and a photo of his grave before giving it to his nephew, Len.

Tim L.

Dawn and Phillipe,

Could you post a copy of the photo here and possibly email me a copy. When I receive the plaque from Sharon, Id like to put it together with Wilkinson's service record and a photo of his grave before giving it to his nephew, Len.

Tim L.

HI THIS IS SHARON, I HAVE JUST GIVEN THEM MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND AS SOON AS I RECIEVE PHOTO I SHALL POST ON THIS THREAD - PROMISE.

What an amazing story. Well done all round. Don't know how I've missed this one till now, must have been asleep!

This forum never ceases to amaze me!!

One of my relations is buried in Dantzig Alley Mametz Cemetery

I'm hoping to visit soon

Caryl

i know what you mean we saw a beautiful house next to Dantzig Alley, would have made a beautiful english tea room and museum, i rue the day we didn't get the telephone number, can't wait to go back and see if it's still for sale, I would be eternally grateful, if you Pals visit, once a year is just not enough, Tim was thrilled when he read your message, very touching. We live in Accrington - and we all know what that means, we have a huge hill, and the council have recieved a grant to put something on the top, you wouldn't believe the things they have come up with, so I am working very hard on getting something to remind us of all those that left this mortal earth on the 1st July, even suggesting my husband becomes a town councillor !!! We visited Beaumont Hamel, aren't the people there lovely, got a lovely photo of our grand-daughter with a Canadian Guide !! I have never been on a holiday that has affected me so much...but people really must visit to understand just what we mean...met a lovely man in Tommy's Bar, whose father had wrote a book on the Sheffield Pals, and he had moved out there permanently last year, and has offered us a place to stay, unfortunately he wasn't on the internet, and I have no way of contacting him - If anyone out there knows this man - PLEASE let me know - it's a long shot, but then again so was returning this to the family !!!! Never say NEVER !!!

THANKS TO PHILLIPE AND DAWN, I HAVE MADE CONTACT WITH MY SHEFFIELD PALS MAN, EMAILED AND GOT A RESPONSE TODAY - WONDERFUL - SHALL SEE THEM AGAIN SOON, DAWN AND PHILLIPE I SHALL CALL AND SEE YOU AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY, TIM L YOU WILL LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS IT ARRIVES WON'T YOU, I HAVE SENT IT RECORDED DELIVERY - AIR MAIL SO FINGERS CROSSED ? THE ROYAL MAIL, DO A GOOD JOB. HAVE YOU HAD NO LUCK WITH THE PHOTO OF A J WILKINSON,? WILL YOU POST THAT ON THE FORUM AS WELL. I'M WORKING ON WHAT ALL YOU GREAT FORUM INVESTIGATORS CAN DO FOR ME NEXT........HAPPY, VERY HAPPY.

Sharon,

I'll keep an eye on the mail and let you know when it arrives.

For your information, I've found out that Andrew Wilkinson was seemingly accidentally killed during trench mortar firing practice at Mametz. I would imagine that the mortar has exploded whilst firing.

I happened upon a reference to 4493 Private (Pte) Lindsay William Elphinstone who was wounded during the same incident and when I re-checked Wilkinson's records at the AWM it shows him as Acc.Kd.

Tim L.

Sharon,

I'll keep an eye on the mail and let you know when it arrives.

For your information, I've found out that Andrew Wilkinson was seemingly accidentally killed during trench mortar firing practice at Mametz. I would imagine that the mortar has exploded whilst firing.

I happened upon a reference to 4493 Private (Pte) Lindsay William Elphinstone who was wounded during the same incident and when I re-checked Wilkinson's records at the AWM it shows him as Acc.Kd.

Tim L.

POOR LAD, DO WE KNOW HOW OLD HE WAS - I HAVE JUST REALISED THAT IT WILL BE THE 89TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH IN 10 DAYS, HAD YOU REALISED, I HOPE THE PACKAGE REACHES YOU BY THEN, WOULDN'T THAT BE LOVELY - DO YOU EVER GET THE FEELING THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS MAKING ALL THIS HAPPEN - DO YOU KNOW WHO OR WHERE LINDSAY WILLIAM ELPHINSTONE IS DID HE SURVIVE THE INCIDENT.. OH I'M OFF TO CWGC SITE TO CHECK.... STILL DELIGHTED...SHARON

undefined[/b5

ELPHINSTONE, LINDSAY WILLIAM Private 4493 25/09/1917 23 Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Australian VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL ] - GUTTED...

I presume Elphinstone would have been killed with the Anzac's somewhere in the vicinity of Polygon Wood in September 1917. I think the light trench mortar boys were pretty mobile and were often in fairly close support of the infantry. That said Tim points to him being killed accidentally just before the dates of some big attacks , so it may have been another mortar premature this time during a pre-attack bombardment . Unlucky to be the victim of 2 such incidents, although I suppose with the number of rounds they fired, accidents must have been a pretty regular occurence. He unfortunately has no known grave. May he rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...
I presume Elphinstone would have been killed with the Anzac's somewhere in the vicinity of Polygon Wood in September 1917. I think the light trench mortar boys were pretty mobile and were often in fairly close support of the infantry. That said Tim points to him being killed accidentally just before the dates of some big attacks , so it may have been another mortar premature this time during a pre-attack bombardment . Unlucky to be the victim of 2 such incidents, although I suppose with the number of rounds they fired, accidents must have been a pretty regular occurence. He unfortunately has no known grave. May he rest in peace.

Just 26 hours to go, I shall remember him, please remember him with me, 89 years ago almost...hopefully my parcel has arrived or will do before his anniversary date. 24/03/1917.

Sharon,

I received the parcel today - safe and sound. I'm still in the process of organizing a copy of his service record. The National Archives have it's status as "Not Yet Examined' so I've requested it be examined for release and digital copies then posted on their website. Hopefully it won't take to long.

I too will be thinking of Andrew tomorrow.

Tim L.

• 3 months later...

JUST GOT BACK FROM THE SOMME - AND OF COURSE A VISIT TO A J'S GRAVE WAS A MUST -- I ATTACH PHOTO - WONDERING HOW THINGS ARE PROGRESSING IN AUSTRALIA - AND DID LEN GET THE THINGS YOU PUT TOGETHER - ALL HAS GONE EXTREMELY QUIET - AND I REALLY DID WANT AN END RESULT - FINGERS CROSSED.

post-10587-1152105029.jpg

Unfortunately Len never found a photo but I've now got a copy of A.J's service documents. I'd like to give this all to his family in person but having a bit of difficulty finding enough time to get down there to do it. I'll make another call in the next day or two and see if we can't organize it.

Don't despair - all will be done (I've just got to find a bit of time to myself)

Tim L.

Good news,

Len's coming to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks and will give me a call when he's in town. We'll meet and I'll finally give him the plaque along with Andrew's service record.

He told me on the phone that he's been telling all his brothers and sisters and they're all very excited and chuffed.

Tim L.

Good news,

Len's coming to Melbourne in the next couple of weeks and will give me a call when he's in town. We'll meet and I'll finally give him the plaque along with Andrew's service record.

He told me on the phone that he's been telling all his brothers and sisters and they're all very excited and chuffed.

Tim L.

WONDERFUL - Take lots of photos for me won't you, I hope every thing goes to plan, I still can't thank you enough for making all this possible, I await news in anticipation, thank you so much Tim.