Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

found on the somme

SHARONCMAUD

Thought readers may like to see this, found on a newly ploughed field at Dantzig Alley - October 2005 - researching the soldier 3968 as above 24/3/1917 this would have been on the original wooden cross, special thanks to those helping me in my quest.

post-10587-1141646599.jpg

post-10587-1141646803.jpg

If this is the case there is a strong possibility he is still buried nearby. Is there any indication he has a known burial? Was he removed at any time? Do you have any details on his service and subsequent death? Please let us know a bit more, thanks.

Ralph

If this is the case there is a strong possibility he is still buried nearby. Is there any indication he has a known burial? Was he removed at any time? Do you have any details on his service and subsequent death? Please let us know a bit more, thanks.

Ralph

HI RALPH, YES I SEARCHED ON CWGC AND HE IS LISTED THERE, AND I KNOW WHERE HE ENLISTED AND WHEN -THANKS TO A GT WAR MEMBER, I HAVE JUST POSTED SOME LETTERS TO AUSTRALIA IN MY QUEST

I am fascinated but dont quite understand what was found. Can you translate/decipher it for me please.

Thanks

Kathie

I think this is who you may be looking for. His service records are on file at the National Archives of Australia but not yet digitized. If you request them online it should only take a couple of months until they're available to view.

Wilkinson, Andrew James

Service Number: 3968

Rank/Calling: Private

Unit: 28 Infantry Battalion - 9 to 18 Reinforcements (February-December 1916)

Ship Name: HMAT Miltiades

Ship Number: A28

Date of Embarkation: 12/02/1916

Place of Embarkation: Fremantle

Wilkinson, Andrew James

Number: 3968

Unit: 13th Australian Light T M Battery

Service: Army

Conflict: 1914-1918

Date of Death: 24/03/1917

Place of Death:

Cause of Death:

Memorial Panel: 21

Cemetery or Memorial Details: FRANCE 397 Dantzig Alley British Cemetery Memetz

Next Of Kin:

Place Of Enlistment: Broome Hill, WA

Native Place:

Notes: WILKINSON, Pte. A. J., 3968. 13th Australian Light T.M. Battery. 24th March, 1917. IX. E. 1.

Tim L.

By the way, it appears he is remembered on a memorial panel at Danzig Alley so therefore his grave must have been lost and his body was never recovered.

What chance is there that the area near where you found this item could be searched in the hope of finding Wilkinson and giving him a deserving final resting place.

Tim L.

By the way, it appears he is remembered on a memorial panel at Danzig Alley so therefore his grave must have been lost and his body was never recovered.

No, he has a grave, see note: IX E1. Never understood what that memorial panel info is about on the Australian website. Memorial panel at Canberra?

Regards,

Marco

What chance is there that the area near where you found this item could be searched in the hope of finding Wilkinson and giving him a deserving final resting place.

Tim L.

See photo's - hopefully if I have done it right

post-10587-1141654342.jpg

ONLY FOUND HIM IN THE MEMORIAL BOOK ON THE LAST DAY LATE AT NIGHT, SO DID NOT HAVE TIME TO SEE IF THERE WAS A GRAVE, NOW YOU HAVE ME WONDERING. GOING BACK ON THE 1ST JULY THIS YEAR, IT SHALL BE MY FIRST PORT OF CALL.

I am fascinated but dont quite understand what was found. Can you translate/decipher it for me please.

Thanks

Kathie

THE METAL STRIP SHOWN ON PHOTO

Ralph

HOPE PICTURE COMES THROUGH

post-10587-1141657007.jpg

Never understood what that memorial panel info is about on the Australian website. Memorial panel at Canberra?

Regards,

Marco

Marco

You are correct. The panels at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra are located in the cloisters, on the mezzanine level either side of the pool of reflection. See here.

The role of honour data base includes the panel number for the bronze panels located in the cloisters. See here.

Chris

Hi Tim, I have just looked on the website and notice there is a picture of a Sapper Wilkinson of the Australian Army stood next to a cart - what was a sapper - or am I just clutching at straws, is there an easy way to find out if Relatives of this soldier still exist, do they have census returns for Australia.?? I am not familiar with your country and Australia is so BIG...it amazes me how they managed to get to France in those days, he was only one of (I think) only three people to die that day near Dantzig Alley, our Gt Uncle who is buried in the same graveyard was originally buried in Bottom Wood and was one of only 15 British Soldiers whose grave was moved to Dantzig, i have tried in vain to find out where Bottom Wood was, but it must have been somewhere close by I would think, Thank you so much for your reply, this site is amazing thanks to people like you. Yours appreciatively,, Sharon and Tim

I notice that he is from Western Australia.

The state paper 'The West Australian' has a free section in ever Monday's edition where researchers can post a request for information.

If you want the details I can e-mail them through.

Also this links takes you to the Broomehill council site where Wilkinson was from.

http://www.broomehill.wa.gov.au/

Regards

Andrew

Marco, you are absolutely correct - I was just having a 'slow' moment. It does appear that Wilkinson has a grave in Danzig Alley and obviously this item is from the original timber cross placed there.

Information from the NAA shows Wilkinson was born in Bordertown, Sth Aust and his mother was Elizabeth Wilkinson.

Title

WILKINSON Andrew : Service Number - 3968 : Place of Birth - Bordertown SA : Place of Enlistment - Blackboy Hill WA : Next of Kin - (Mother) WILKINSON Elizabeth

Series number

B2455 Control symbol

WILKINSON ANDREW Contents date range

1914 - 1920

Access status

Not yet examined Location

Canberra Barcode no

When soldiers were located/reinterred after the war the CWGC initially placed wooden crosses on the graves. This metal strip was placed on the cross as a grave reference number, which could be cross referenced to CWGC lists.

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-1141726956.gif

When soldiers were located/reinterred after the war the CWGC initially placed wooden crosses on the graves. This metal strip was placed on the cross as a grave reference number, which could be cross referenced to CWGC lists.

Rgds

Tim

HI TIM, MY QUEST HAS STARTED, HOPEFULLY SOON THIS STRIP WILL BE RETURNED TO A FAMILY MEMBER,

THANKS TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS, HELP IS ON IT'S WAY, PLEASE PRAY THAT A J WILKINSON HAD SURVIVING RELATIVES, ALTHOUGH A FATHER IS NOT LISTED AS NEXT OF KIN, AND BROOMEHILL STILL SEEMS TO HAVE A SMALL COMMUNITY, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW, I SHALL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED !!!! YOU SEE I THOUGHT AUSTRALIA WAS A MILLION MILES AWAY AND IT TOOK LESS THAN 24 HOURS FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION TO COME THROUGH. AMAZING ISN'T IT.

I notice that he is from Western Australia.

The state paper 'The West Australian' has a free section in ever Monday's edition where researchers can post a request for information.

If you want the details I can e-mail them through.

Also this links takes you to the Broomehill council site where Wilkinson was from.

http://www.broomehill.wa.gov.au/

Regards

Andrew

ANDREW EMAIL ME WITH ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HELP, I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL.

I've done some hunting on the internet and I've found a possible connection to Bordertown SA.

I have an email address for Tania Wilkinson who is related to the Bordertown Wilkinson's but it's a hotmail address from 2003. I'll give it a go and hopefully it's still current.

Cross your fingers.

Tim L.

I've done some hunting on the internet and I've found a possible connection to Bordertown SA.

I have an email address for Tania Wilkinson who is related to the Bordertown Wilkinson's but it's a hotmail address from 2003. I'll give it a go and hopefully it's still current.

Cross your fingers.

Tim L.

They are crossed. xx

Further to my last email, I've just checked the NAA and found there were three Wilkinson brothers born in Bordertown SA who enlisted - Robert, Frederick and Andrew.

Frederick and Andrew list their next of kin to be their mother Elizabeth Wilkinson

Robert lists his father William Wilkinson

Records show that William Wilkinson and Elizabeth Wilkinson of Bordertown were husband and wife

Both Robert and Andrew enlisted in WA

Frederick enlisted in Adelaide SA.

These facts tie together and would strongly indicate that all three were brothers.

Tania Wilkinson, who's email address I found, is the GGrand-daughter of William and Elizabeth's daughter, Annie (Andrew's sister).

Therefore Tania is Andrew's G-Grand Niece (if my calculations are correct).

Tim L.

Further to my last email, I've just checked the NAA and found there were three Wilkinson brothers born in Bordertown SA who enlisted - Robert, Frederick and Andrew.

Frederick and Andrew list their next of kin to be their mother Elizabeth Wilkinson

Robert lists his father William Wilkinson

Records show that William Wilkinson and Elizabeth Wilkinson of Bordertown were husband and wife

Both Robert and Andrew enlisted in WA

Frederick enlisted in Adelaide SA.

These facts tie together and would strongly indicate that all three were brothers.

Tania Wilkinson, who's email address I found, is the GGrand-daughter of William and Elizabeth's daughter, Annie (Andrew's sister).

Therefore Tania is Andrew's G-Grand Niece (if my calculations are correct).

Tim L.

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE STAR !!!! IS THERE ANYWAY SHE CAN BE CONTACTED, AND WOULD SHE LIKE THIS ITEM. THANK YOU SO MUCH. ETERNALLY GRATEFUL

are you working on it, all seems to have gone quiet - or is the time difference????

I am too excited for words. Everything is crossed, this would just be the icing on the cake.

post-10587-1141770640.jpg

Yes, it was the time difference. I sent the email to Tania Wilkinson at about 1.00 am Australian time so I didn't expect her to be sitting at the computer right at that moment.

It's now nearly midday and I've just checked my emails - no reply as yet. I'm not getting my hopes up due to the age of the email address and the fact it was a hotmail one.

In the meantime, I've found a phone number for a Wilkinson who still lives in Bordertown so I'll give it a call and see if it happens to be a descendant - you never know your luck!!

Tim L.