Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

found on the somme

SHARONCMAUD

BINGO!!!

Telephoned the number in Bordertown and it turned out to be Rex Wilkinson (72 yrs old) who is Andrew's nephew (via Andrew's brother Les). He said if there were no other family members interested then he would gladly accept the plaque and donate it to the Bordertown RSL (Returned Services League). Unfortunately, Rex has never married and has no children.

He then gave me the number of Len Wilkinson (75 yrs old) who is Andrew's Grand Nephew (via Andrew's sister Annie) and told me Len and his family were the one's most interested in the family history and perhaps it was more appropriate that they have the plaque.

So....I called Len and he was most chuffed to hear about the find and was very keen have the plaque. He also confirmed that his niece was Tania Wilkinson (the one I've tried to contact) and that she was very interested in the family's history.

As a result, I would suggest that Len and his family are the most appropriate to receive the plaque. I have both Len's phone number and address so if you would like to send the plaque to him you can do it directly or alternatively via me.

Now to put the family into perspective:

William Wilkinson married Elizabeth Leitch

They had the following children:

Annie, Frederick, Maude, Robert, Andrew and Les.

Fred, Robert (Bob) and Andrew all joined up for WW1 but Les didn't because he was the youngest and the family thought three sons was enough.

Bob and Andrew originally joined the 28th Battalion in WA and Fred joined the 9th Light Horse in Adelaide.

Fred and Bob both returned to Australia however Fred was a cripple as a result of wounds and required a walking frame for the rest of his life. Bob also died in the years following the war as a result of wounds received from it.

Feels good to have success!!!

Tim L.

Oh, forgot to mention that Rex said he thinks he might have a photo of Andrew with his football team, prior to the war. He's going to hunt around and see if he can find it and then let me know.

Tim L.

Great work Tim. You are obviously in the right job! ;)

Would love to know how the plaque got into the farmers field. Is this close to the cemetery itself? It may be the case he was re-interred and moved into Dantzig Alley after the war? Perhaps when they placed proper headstones the wood from the crosses was disposed of?

Rgds

Tim D

Sharon:

Having exchanged some info with you in your initial January posting mentioning Wilkinson, I am so pleased to see that you came back to the Forum and renewed your pursuit of him. A hearty congratulations are in order on your success, as well as a glass hoisted in honor of Tim for his yeoman's efforts here in bringing your quest to fruition. Australia was certainly at the top of its game on this one!

Chris

Well done Sharon and Tim, this post has gladdened my heart to see the effort put in to reunite plaque and family.

Ditto to Spike's words above. Amazing story, amazing outcome.

Tim - glad someone with your tenacity is on the right side of the law!

What a great result. Well done to all concerned. I am sure the family will be delighted to receive this link with the past. Quite cheered me up on a wet Wednesday morning !

There must be numbers of these original grave marker plates buried. Let's hope more are found.

Great work Tim. You are obviously in the right job! ;)

Would love to know how the plaque got into the farmers field. Is this close to the cemetery itself? It may be the case he was re-interred and moved into Dantzig Alley after the war? Perhaps when they placed proper headstones the wood from the crosses was disposed of?

Rgds

Tim D

Well done all - an interesting story.

Tim - I have heard about the original crosses being offered to the soldiers' families and some are displayed in churches around the country. However I suppose that most of them would have had to be disposed of. I once read an account which described a huge pile of wooden crosses being burnt in the field next to Delville Wood cemetery when they were being replaced with headstones. One day a few years ago I was in the area just after ploughing and noticed a dark patch right by the cemetery wall. I looked around on the surface there and found two bits of aluminium tape. Here's part of one which once said "Unknown British Soldier."

Tom

post-7-1141807343.jpg

Wow - incrediable story. Just goes to show how amazing this forum can be.

Kate

HIP HIP HIP HOORAY - FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW, FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW, FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW AND SO SAY ALL OF US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COULDN'T ANSWER SOONER - CRYING MY EYES OUT, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS TO ME !!!

EMAIL, EMAIL, EMAIL, WOULD LOVE TO SEE A PHOTO.

TO EVERYONE ELSE - THANK YOU ALL, THIS HAS BEEN TRULY AMAZING.

IT ALL STARTED AFTER LOOKING THROUGH THE PRESTON PAPER TO FIND ANY DETAILS ON GRANDAD (TIMOTHY MAUD), ON LOOKING THROUGH ALL THE PAGES I NOTICED A DEATH OF A SOLDIER FROM THE SAME ADDRESS GRANDAD LIVED AT ONLY TO DISCOVER IT WAS HIS BROTHER ARTHUR ASPDEN WHO NOBODY LIVING KNEW ABOUT.

THEN AS YOU ALL KNOW THE JOURNEY STARTED.... AND I KNOW IT WILL NOT END...!!! HE WAS BURIED AT DANTZIG ALLEY, SO OFF WE WENT ON THE CHANNEL TUNNEL, THE A1, AND STAYED IN POZIERES, OPPOSITE TOMMY'S BAR, WITH MR LOUCHARD AND HIS FAMILY - (HIS SON PLAYS THE REVEILLE AT THE POZIERES REMEMBRANCE DAY SERVICE), OFF UP TO DANTZIG THE DAY AFTER, TOOK AGES TO FIND IT, BUT HOW BEAUTIFUL IT WAS WHEN WE DID, A VERY SECLUDED, SCENIC SPOT.

I COULD NEVER EVER THANK THE CWGC AND THE BRITISH LEGION ENOUGH, THEY HAVE CERTAINLY BEEN TRUE TO THEIR WORD.

GUNNER ARTHUR ASPDEN -ALL THE WAY, FROM PRESTON, ENGLAND TO THIS HILL IN FRANCE, A GRAVE THAT NOT ONE MEMBER OF HIS FAMILY HAD VISITED UNTIL NOW, THE EMOTION THIS BROUGHT WAS IMMENSE, YOU CANNOT BELIEVE IT TILL YOU EXPERIENCE IT - IT NEVER LEAVES YOU, A MAN WHO WE NEVER KNEW, LAIN HERE IN THIS FOREIGN LAND, ARE WE LOOKING AND SEEING THE SAME LANDSCAPE HE SAW?, ARE WE DRIVING OVER THE SPOT HE SAT AND ATE HIS BULLY BEEF?, THE SAME SKY, THE SAME AIR, IT WILL NEVER LEAVE US, THAT FEELING.

WE VISITED EVERY DAY KNOWING WE WOULD HAVE TO LEAVE HIM THERE. - BUT HE WAS NOT ALONE.

AROUND THE CEMETERY WALL IS A LANE OF GRASS (SEE PLOUGHED FIELD) I STOOD LOOKING OVER THE LANDSCAPE, TAKING IT ALL IN, WHEN I SAW THE METAL STRIP, I CALLED MY HUSBAND, AND HE RETRIEVED IT FROM THE MUD, HE SAID IT WOULD BE A STRIP OFF A BULLY TIN, IT WAS COVERED IN MUD, I PUT IT ON THE DASHBOARD, THINKING NO - THEY DID NOT HAVE SELL BY DATES IN 1917!!!!, WHEN WE CALLED INTO TOMMY'S BAR - A LOVELY MAN - LOTS OF THINGS RELATING TO THE WAR - I UNWRAPPED MY TISSUE TO SHOW HIM THE STRIP - HE WAS ECSTATIC AND SHOWED ME PICTURES OF THE WOODEN CROSSES - AND SAID HOW LUCKY WE WERE TO FIND THIS ON OUR FIRST TRIP TO FRANCE - WE THEN SHOWED IT TO A LOVELY COUPLE WHO WORK AT THE ULSTER MONUMENT, AND HE ALSO GOT VERY EXCITED AND I GOT THE DISTINCT FEELING THAT HE WANTED IT FOR HIS MUSEUM, BUT I COULD NOT JUST GIVE IT AWAY - THIS MAN- T.M.B. 24/3/17 HAD POSSIBLY GOT FAMILY - THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WHO SHOULD HAVE IT - ALL SORTS OF THOUGHTS RAN THROUGH MY MIND - WAS I BEING MEAN NOT GIVING IT TO THEM - FIRST I WAS TOLD TO GO BACK TO THE CEMETERY AND LOOK THROUGH THE BOOK, FOR SOLDIERS WHO HAD DIED ON THAT DAY, THERE IS NO NAME ON THE STRIP, JUST T.M.B. 24/3/17, SO ON OUR LAST DAY WE GOT THE BOOK OUT OF THE SAFE, AND STARTING AT ' A ' WE WORKED OUR WAY THROUGH, IT TOOK FOREVER- I DOING ONE SIDE OF THE PAGE AND MY HUSBAND THE OTHER, HALFWAY THROUGH AND NO LUCK, ALL SORTS OF DATES, HUNDREDS OF NAMES,A...B...C....D... GETTING HALFWAY THROUGH, 24.03.17-YES - UH NO - NOT LIGHT TRENCH MORTAR BATTERY, SHUCKS, KEEP GOING, L...M....N.....ANOTHER 24/3/17 YES....NO...SHUCKS, WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT - DO YOU KNOW WHATS COMING - IT WAS DARK BY NOW- ....R...S....T.........!!!!!!..WILKINSON A.J. 13TH LIGHT TRENCH MORTAR BATTERY - BINGO - !!!!!! TAKE A PICTURE QUICK, THERE WERE ONLY 3 SOLDIERS DIED THAT DAY - OTHERWISE WE WOULD PROBABLY STILL BE THERE NOW !!!

I HAVE RELATIVES IN AUSTRALIA, AND THEY WERE VISITING AT CHRISTMAS - WHO KNOWS, FINGERS CROSSED, TO BE HONEST WE WERE THAT RUSHED AND BUSY DOING THE USUAL CHRISTMASSY THINGS, AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE UNFAIR TO ASK THEM KNOWING THE SIZE OF AUSTRALIA, TO DO MY WORK FOR ME, AND ANYWAY WHAT WOULD BE THE PLEASURE IN THAT - AND THEN CAME THE GT WAR FORUM !!!!

THANK GOODNESS FOR THE GT WAR FORUM AND ALL ITS MEMBERS, IT WAS A LONG SHOT, AND SO I MENTIONED IT AS A SUBSCRIPT TO A QUESTION ON GRANDAD AND YOU YOU LOVELY MAN CAME UP WITH ALL THIS INFORMATION, I WAS UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY GOBSMACKED.

A. J. WANTED HIS STRIP RETURNING TO HIS FAMILY - I AM SURE OF IT, AND NOW HE WILL-, I CAN NEVER EVER THANK YOU ENOUGH - HERE COME THE TEARS AGAIN - OOOPS - NEVER.

I SHALL AWAIT INFORMATION REGARDING ADDRESSESS AND SHALL POST OUT AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY, WITH PHOTOS OF HIS FINAL RESTING PLACE.

UNCLE ARTHUR ASPDEN, WAS ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES, HE WAS BURIED IN BOTTOM WOOD, NR AN AMBULANCE CLEARING STATION IN 1916 AND HIS GRAVE SURVIVED FOR OVER 4 YEARS, FORTUNATELY TO BE RE-INTERRED IN DANTZIG ALLEY, I HAVE YET TO FIND OUT JUST HOW FAR AWAY DANTZIG ALLEY WAS FROM BOTTOM WOOD. GT WAR FORUM MEMBERS?????????????????

TIM L - I SHALL BE THANKING YOU IN MY PRAYERS

ETERNALLY GRATEFUL - GOD LOVE YOU - AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS JOURNEY WITH US.....ALL OF US......XXX

post-10587-1141826154.jpg

Well done Sharon and Tim, this post has gladdened my heart to see the effort put in to reunite plaque and family.

IT IS REMARKABLE ISN'T IT !!!

post-10587-1141826820.jpg

Sharon,

Congratulations on your success and well done, many people would have just discarded it and not had your perseverance and dedication to follow it through.

I think your post at '3.57' sums up how a lot of us started with a mild interest in family history and soon became hooked on the Great War, it seems to me that you have reached 'anorak' status very quickly. I also found out that my Grandfather had two brothers killed during WW1, visited one of the graves just outside Arras on a day trip and then I was hooked.

This Forum is priceless and full of many helpful and friendly people, I look forward to keeping up to date with this thread, I bet you are already planning another trip to the Front?

Once again well done,

regards,

Scottie.

40# I'll second that.

A site which never ceases to amaze me.

Its not necessary what you know its who you know, and again the Forum has excelled itself well done to all concerned.

What an outcome.

Rob

Sharon,

Congratulations on your success and well done, many people would have just discarded it and not had your perseverance and dedication to follow it through.

I think your post at '3.57' sums up how a lot of us started with a mild interest in family history and soon became hooked on the Great War, it seems to me that you have reached 'anorak' status very quickly. I also found out that my Grandfather had two brothers killed during WW1, visited one of the graves just outside Arras on a day trip and then I was hooked.

This Forum is priceless and full of many helpful and friendly people, I look forward to keeping up to date with this thread, I bet you are already planning another trip to the Front?

Once again well done,

regards,

Scottie.

YOU BET I AM, I WANT TO UP STICKS AND LIVE THERE, I ADORED IT, WHEN WE GO IN JULY, I SHALL VISIT ANDREW JAMES WILKINSON'S (SO NICE TO PUT FORENAMES TO IT) GRAVE TO PLACE FLOWERS, AND TELL HIM THE STORY AND THANK HIM FOR GETTING TO KNOW ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE OUT THERE - ALL THEY ASKED IS THAT WE DIDN'T FORGET - AND WE WON'T.

Sharon,

be assured that thanks to your efforts a few Pal's from the Forum will now put Pte Wilkinson and Gunner Aspden on their 'to visit' lists. their memories will live on.

If you are going over on the 1st July I believe there is a planned meet of Pal's being organised elsewhere on this site.

On my last visit over I was very interested in a wonderful farm building and outhouses for sale at Beaumont Hamel, just a pipe dream however.

Regards,

Scottie.

HI TIM L. IT'S ME AGAIN, I THINK IT'S THE TIME ZONE AGAIN, I THOUGHT THIS WOULD INTEREST YOU AND MAYBE YOU COULD PASS IT ON TO THE FAMILY WHO MAY WANT TO DO A LOOK UP - IT COMES FROM THE CWGC WEBSITE 1916- THE SOMME - AND IT CAN BE PRINTED OUT

DANTZIG ALLEY BRITISH CEMETERY, MAMETZ

Dantzig Alley is a typical concentration cemetery built up around a battlefield burial ground after the war. Named from a German trench near mametz which saw hard fighting on 1 july,1916, the cemetery was begun later that month and used by fighting units and field ambulances until November, with a few graves added in 1918. the original 183 burials now form the long continuous rows of Plot 1.

Graves brought in after the armistice from the battlefields north and east of Mametz are almost all of 1916 and include many of 1 July from the 7th Division who attacked here, and the 18th (Easter) and the 30th Divisions who went forward on their right to take objectives around Montauban. Some of the more substantial battlefield cemeteries brought into Dantzig Alley include Aeroplane Cemetery,Bulgar Alley Cemetery, hare Lane, mansel Copse and Mansel Copse West cemeteries. The cemetery now contains 2053 burials and commemorations. of the Burials 518 are unidentified, but ranged along the back boundary are 17 special memorials to men known to be buried among them.

There are also special memorial headstones to 70 men whose known graves in two other concentrated battlefield cemeteries were destroyed by shell fire later in the battle. 55 from Vernon St Cemetery (110graves), made at 'Squeak Forward position' in the valley between Carnoy and maricourt, and 15 from BOTTOM WOOD CEMETERY, a field ambulance cemetery of 104 graves, between Mametsz and Fricourt Woods. these two groups are each fronted by a memorial carrying an explanatory inscription known as a Dulhallow Block, so called because the first were erected in Dulhallow ADS Cemetery near Ypres in Belgium.

the Montauban Communal Cemetery memorial, which is shown on the cemetery plan published with the first register of burials, commemorated an officer whose grave was later discovered in London cemetery and Extension at Longueval and the memorial has since been removed.

The Cemetery is large enough for both a Cross of sacrifice (seen in all Commission cemeteries with 40 burials or more) and a Stone of Remembrance (more than a 1,000 burials).

More unusual is the memorial seat set into the back wall, a gift of the 14th Welsh Fusiliers, placed in the cemetery in 1929.

An original photograph of the wooden crosses in situ and a post with dantzig alley written crudely is also shown, the family may want to look this up. I am now wondering if he is the only Australian buried here !!

I shall investigate further - here I go again. I am awaiting in anticipation your next correspondence.

It's been said a dozen times already - but this thread deserves it to be said a dozen more times - WELL DONE!! :D

Well done all - an interesting story.

Tim - I have heard about the original crosses being offered to the soldiers' families and some are displayed in churches around the country. However I suppose that most of them would have had to be disposed of. I once read an account which described a huge pile of wooden crosses being burnt in the field next to Delville Wood cemetery when they were being replaced with headstones. One day a few years ago I was in the area just after ploughing and noticed a dark patch right by the cemetery wall. I looked around on the surface there and found two bits of aluminium tape. Here's part of one which once said "Unknown British Soldier."

Tom

Cheers Tom,

Well there you go...the original cross is probably propping up the farmers shed! I thought the plate that Sharon has was a grave reference number, but obviously refers to his unit and date of death. The photo I have of a relatives cross (previous post) has a reference number on one plate, his name and number on another, and his unit on the third. There is a fourth that I cannot read, perhaps his date of death. Four plates in total. Perhaps Wilkinson's others are still out there in that field?

The attached photo shows:

1. Unreadable.

2. Reference Number (2346?)

3. Name and Number (5700 Zeller)

4. Unit (26/A.I.F.)

Rgds

Tim

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-1141848778.jpg