Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Collectors

Tim Brecknock

Hi Colleen, Welcome to the GWF.

Do you know which medals he/they were entitled to? e.g. did he fight in WW1 before 1916?

If you post his name, regiment & service number we could find out for you. We could then post photos of similar medals.

Best wishes,

Ivor

1 hour ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hi Colleen, Welcome to the GWF.

Do you know which medals he/they were entitled to? e.g. did he fight in WW1 before 1916?

If you post his name, regiment & service number we could find out for you. We could then post photos of similar medals.

Best wishes,

Ivor

Thank you I appreciate that I will look up info and send tomorrow 

is for Andrew Burnside he was with the Connaught Rangers 18th 1898 served in Africa Boer war then India, WW1 in France I think then with 1st regt Connaught Rangers , then Turkey.

I will have to check for his number tomorrow.

Andrew born in 1857-1941 

thank you  Colleen

Just now, Colleen Clancy said:

Thank you I appreciate that I will look up info and send tomorrow 

is for Andrew Burnside he was with the Connaught Rangers 18th 1898 served in Africa Boer war then India, WW1 in France I think then with 1st regt Connaught Rangers , then Turkey.

I will have to check for his number tomorrow. Medals DCM- Queens Medal ++
others I don’t know? 

Andrew born in 1857-1941 

thank you  Colleen

Colleen

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/first-world-war-service-medals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_South_Africa_Medal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_South_Africa_Medal

there was an andre Burnside 6286 1st Connaught Rangers in WW1 as a sergeant then Warrant Officer class2, presumably as these were 1914 records probably ranked as served in the Boer war. If he had the 5 then they would look like the picture

group 5.jpg

Edited by chaz

On 24/01/2022 at 10:56, 58 Div Mule said:

I’ll second that. I know of a number of dealers and collectors who have actively sought to reunite families with their medals.

As for museums, don’t bother!

58 DM.

I know a couple of dealers that have out bid me and then offered them to me at an inflated price, 

that said, the majority are fair.

1 hour ago, Colleen Clancy said:

Andrew Burnside he was with the Connaught Rangers 18th 1898 served in Africa Boer war then India, WW1 in France I think then with 1st regt Connaught Rangers

He seems to have won a Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1917? In addition to his 2 Boer War medals, 1914 star, BWM & VM?

His service record is on Ancestry too: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=145160&tid=&pid=&queryId=4df066991022b33df43d038ece68b69a&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WWn277&_phstart=successSource

image.png.29993263b1e177e9a22ac31dceb3cdd1.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

8 hours ago, Ivor Anderson said:

He seems to have won a Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1917? In addition to his 2 Boer War medals, 1914 star, BWM & VM?

His service record is on Ancestry too: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=145160&tid=&pid=&queryId=4df066991022b33df43d038ece68b69a&usePUB=true&_phsrc=WWn277&_phstart=successSource

image.png.29993263b1e177e9a22ac31dceb3cdd1.png

Thank you so much , I wanted to see what the medals looked like 

appreciate your efforts best wishes 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Colleen Clancy said:

wanted to see what the medals looked like 

They were sold in 2011. Here is the photo of the medal group.

"Lot 971, 30 March 2011 | Dix Noonan Webb" https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=198485

Have you seen this old thread about Andrew and his brother Robert?

"Robert Burnside DOW Gallipoli Interred Sligo - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum" https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/187550-robert-burnside-dow-gallipoli-interred-sligo/

Edited by charlie962

Thanks Charlie

i have photo if Andrew and Robert but Andrews pic is difficult to see medals so great to see what they looked like. I assumed they were in a military museum .

thanks again ☘️

7 hours ago, charlie962 said:

They were sold in 2011. Here is the photo of the medal group.

"Lot 971, 30 March 2011 | Dix Noonan Webb" https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=198485

Nice work Charlie. Now Colleen can frame a photo of his actual medals :) A fine collection by one man:

Internet Image 1.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

I am so pleased and yes I will frame and put under his picture .

thank you also Ivor for your help ☘️
great site 👍🏻

Thanks Charlie

if you ask the people at DNW they might pass on a message to the buyer 

some museums have been know to sell medals so they might have been once upon a time

On 18/11/2005 at 03:07, Chief_Chum said:

I have quite a few medals although my real passion has always been for uniforms and equipment.

However, I remember as late as the 1980s, antique dealers with buckets full of British War Medals which they used to cut from the pairs and trios as the silver scrap was worth more than the medals themselves. It is so easy to forget just how 'worthless' these medals were considered to be up until very recently.

If the family has chosen to sell them and someone is foolish enough to pay hundreds of pounds for a set of medals the dead soldier never saw, good luck to them both...

Quite recently the local RBL put a lady onto me who was in her 90s and wanted to 'put her things in order before she died'. She gave her late husband's medals, including his TA medal; paperwork and photographs to me as she said that her children and her grandchildren were 'not in the slightest bit interested' in them. I may not be able to put them on public display, and they may have to spend quite a bit of time in a drawer, but no one will ever be able to say that I am not interested in them. It certainly gave the old lady a great deal of pleasure to know that they were going to a good home - and I shall never sell them.

Sadly I do know collectors who are unscrupulous and put photographs of anonymous soldiers with medals along with cap badges and crucifixes and all manner of other artifacts. Fake scrolls stained with tea and all fixed into an old frame and sold as original. This is despicable; not only is it fraud, it robs soldiers of their true identities as, in years to come, no one will know the truth - and all for the sake of a few extra pounds. Likewise, the habit of breaking up groups of medals, documents and photographs which have been together for 90 years - just because a medal collector may not want the paperwork and an ephemera dealer won't want the medals.

As Andrew says... Parasites...

A very well known medal collector has an MM group won by a relative of mine. He says he will let me have it... eventually!

Cheers,

Taff

This site managed to find medals and sent me a photo of same I know the story of this GG uncle and so far every member of family will see photos and history as I have several in family tree who will be remembered. This gives a sense of history from close up and pride. But I am grateful as I have never seen medals but the photo and relevant information  now available with documentation for family near and far. 
I sincerely thank all the help from this site ☘️

On 26/01/2022 at 09:00, Ivor Anderson said:

Nice work Charlie. Now Colleen can frame a photo of his actual medals :) A fine collection by one man:

Internet Image 1.jpg

Those are very colorful, nice photo.

Medals are part of history and the trace of a single soldier; for example I own a Kinght's Cross of Vittorio Veneto Order and Italian War Merit Cross, which remember my great-grandpa, Private in the First World War:D... I am researching if he was wounded or not

On 26/01/2022 at 12:56, Colleen Clancy said:

Thanks Charlie

i have photo if Andrew and Robert but Andrews pic is difficult to see medals so great to see what they looked like. I assumed they were in a military museum .

thanks again 

2 hours ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

Those are very colorful, nice photo.

Medals are part of history and the trace of a single soldier; for example I own a Kinght's Cross of Vittorio Veneto Order and Italian War Merit Cross, which remember my great-grandpa, Private in the First World War:D... I am researching if he was wounded or not

love your reply and respect your service, agree the memory should be shared to all family near and far this can be done with a picture and a little history 

it is the a choice who would like to know more 💛it is a joy to pass on that researchers information for all family who are interested. 
good luck 🙏🏻