Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

Roy,Ken

No diary exists for 1st - 9th Novemeber 1914. At this period of time the Btn had received 80% casualties and existed in name only. Of the 1,100 men making up the Btn when they landed in October,only 78 remained,every officer had either been killed or wounded and only one NCO was left to bring them out of action. A large price was paid by the Staffords at 1st Battle of Ypre,barring the Germans march to the coast.

Regards Doug.

Doug

Many thanks for the information, it explains a lot for me!

Cheers

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Bill Longmore and my grandfather was Joseph Longmore of Kingswinford/ Brierley area. He enlisted 7-10-1914. He went to 'theatre of War 1' which I believe was france, on 3-9-1915. I'm told this was with reinforcements for the South Staffs. His Reg. number was 14794. He appears to have been wounded in 1916 (possibly the Somme). At a later dare he was transferred to the Notts & Derby T/R I think the 14th Batt. his number changed to TR/6/13097. He was then medicaly discharged on 13-12-1917. Is there any way of you knowing what Battalion of the South Staffs he was in or what battles he took part in.

My email address is w.longmore@onetel.net

Roy,

can I ask for (another) favor.

Does your copy of the 1/6 Battn. war diary include:

28-31st December 1917, including casualty returns/signature

October 1918 casualty return / signature (I have the whole month, but not the final page)

November 1918 casualty return / signature (I have the whole month, but not the final page)

These pages are missing from my copy - it may be they disappeared years ago, or the NA did not copy / no longer have this.

No hurry for this, I am slowly working through the diary.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Stuart,

I have those pages - I'll scan and post when I get ten minutes.

Roy

Stuart,

I have those pages - I'll scan and post when I get ten minutes.

Roy

Roy,

thanks,

Stuart

Roy,

can I ask for (another) favor.

Does your copy of the 1/6 Battn. war diary include:

28-31st December 1917, including casualty returns/signature

October 1918 casualty return / signature (I have the whole month, but not the final page)

November 1918 casualty return / signature (I have the whole month, but not the final page)

These pages are missing from my copy - it may be they disappeared years ago, or the NA did not copy / no longer have this.

No hurry for this, I am slowly working through the diary.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Stuart,

Two pages in my transcript for 28 - 31st December 1918. He is the first;

Second page for Dec. 17

No returns for Oct. 18 but here is the page;

Ditto for Nov. 18

If you still want me to e-mail let me know.

Roy

Roy,

thanks for these.

The images are fine.

Stuart

Hi, My name is Bill Longmore and my grandfather was Joseph Longmore of Kingswinford/ Brierley area. He enlisted 7-10-1914. He went to 'theatre of War 1' which I believe was france, on 3-9-1915. I'm told this was with reinforcements for the South Staffs. His Reg. number was 14794. He appears to have been wounded in 1916 (possibly the Somme). At a later dare he was transferred to the Notts & Derby T/R I think the 14th Batt. his number changed to TR/6/13097. He was then medicaly discharged on 13-12-1917. Is there any way of you knowing what Battalion of the South Staffs he was in or what battles he took part in.

Bill,

First the bad news......

Your GF does not appear in any of the Battalion war diaries but then very few O.R.s do.

I've checked SDGW for South Staffs men with number close to his but they belong to several Batt'ns, so no help there.

Now the good news, (maybe).......

There is a possibility that he was with the 1st South Staffs since they had a draft of men on 3-9-15 but I have some more checking to do yet so don't count any chickens.

Roy

• 1 month later...

Please note that I will be unable to answer any further queries until early in March.

Roy

• 4 years later...

Captain Vallentin is mentioned on two dates, 08/10/14 and 18/10/14.

08/10/14

18/10/14

Found this Picture in the Great War Mag

CaptJFVallentin1stSouthstaffs.jpg

Regards

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hello my name is Eric

Would you be able to get me copies of the following details regarding private John Hinton 13949 1st Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment in Italy.He was my Wife's Grandfather

The battalion war diary mentions that the Croce di Guerra was presented to John Hinton MM by the divisional commander at S. Marco on 10 October 1918. The entry for 11September 1918 mentions that he been awarded this honour for his part in operations at Canove, Asiago Plateau, on 8-9 August 1918. The entry for 8-9 August says that he was awarded the MM for this same action.

Kind regards

Eric White

23 Ryder Drive

Muxton

Telford

Tf2 8SX

ericwhite947@btinternet.com

• 3 months later...

hello roy,

can you post a copy of the war diary of 1/5 south staffs 28/29.9.18 which mentions the wounding of 203352 l/cpl tuck

thanks enoch

Hi Enoch,

I am very reluctant to 'highjack' Roy's thread but, due to his previous response, he may not be in a position to reply.

I have copies I can send you, PM me your e-mail address and Ill forward,

Hope this is OK with you Roy !!!

Graeme

Graeme

I was busy with the grandchildren last night so have brought the copies to type out at work and will post the entry for 28th & 29th this morning. The 15 pages of operation orders and casualty lists I intended to send by snail mail myself but am quite happy for yourself to do so.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Glad all is OK, I thought something had befallen you and that was you in your Avatar !!

I agonised over whether to reply or not, its your thread. If I can help let me know.

Any news on your web site ??

Regards,

Graeme

Enoch,

Daily entries as promised. I can copy and send the two appendices by snail mail or you can take up Graeme’s offer if you wish.

28th ‘D’ Company, under Captain BALL was counter-attacked; some enemy got into our trenches but were ejected, leaving two prisoners in our hands. This was at 6.00 a.m. but the fighting continues.

At 11.00 a.m., by a fresh counter-attack, ‘D’ Company was driven out of their trenches to the trenches og the 1/6th Bn. North Staffordshire Rgt. who were holding the outpost north of ‘D’ Company. Under orders from Lieut. Colonel A. WHITE ‘C’ Company, under Captain E.J.H. MEYNELL counter-attacked the enemy but were unable to drive him out of the Outpost Line. Fighting was very severe indeed. Our casualties amounted to one officer killed (2nd Lieut. E.C. BRACEY) and a number of men.

Orders came to withdraw to the main front line at dusk. This was done without any further casualties. ‘A’ Company, under 2nd Lieut. L.L. TYLER, who were in Reserve, were ordered up, and were to carry forward the special stores required for crossing the canal on the 29th instant. These were brought forward and work carried on all night.

29th At 5.30 a.m. which was the Zero hour, the Battalion, in conjunction with the 1/6th Bn. North Staffs Regt. And the 1/6th South Staffs Regt. started the attack on the ST. QUENTIN Canal. 1/6th North Staffs on the left, 1/5th South Staffs in the centre, and 1/6th South Staffs on the right, the whole Brigade advancing behind a barrage, which was very intense. At 6.10 a.m. a heavy fog came on which made the whole attack very difficult. A narrative is attached which gives the whole detail, marked Appendix XXII. Appendix XVII is Operation Orders. The whole objectives were gained and we were leapfrogged by the 13th Infantry Brigade, at 10.50 a.m. The whole show resulted in the capture of four field guns, and 50 machine guns, and numerous other stores by the Battalion alone. The Battalion slept on the ground they had won, Battalion Headquarters being in the Canal Bank.

Graeme,

I have no issue at all with your helping out, it’s not ‘my’ thread but is forum property, as far as I’m concerned the thread is open to all, in fact the more the merrier!

As for my website, it is almost finished but has been sitting inside my laptop and the laptop has been in for repair since January. Hope to get it back soon.

Roy

thanks roy :D

i will take up graeme's offer(i have his email somewhere!) and forward it to the chap who is looking for the information and keep a copy for meself ;)

enoch

Guest eansmiff

Graeme / Enoch / Roy, many thanks for your help with this, it is my Great Grandfather that I am researching and this information will be of enormous interest to my family. I look forward to seeing the appendices once forwarded on from Enoch.

Thanks again.

Graeme / Enoch / Tilton,

If you PM your postal addresses to me I'll copy and mail the other stuff on Wednesday.

Roy

Sorry, I've just weeded out some old messages so you should get through now.

Roy