Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, it looks like his service papers were lost as a result of a fire in WW2.

His Soldiers Died record says that Thomas enlisted in Walsall. 

Service papers for some near-ish Staffordshire men show:

7971 Britton - Joined up 29.4.1907

8058 Langley - joined  up 12.8.1907

8249 Jones - joined up 17.1.1908

The 'terms' that the 3 men originally signed up for were:

image.png.9fb0bc61ce64cca32b0c56a7aa69b176.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

His medal roll records (link) say that he arrived overseas with the 1st Battalion on 4.10.1914. However, that is shown in the Bn war diary (Ancestry here/TNA here) as the date that they sailed from Southampton to Dover.

In 1919 his mother was living at 12 Essex Street, Birmingham

image.png.6eaa20f98b9431a784f90bac5c05a0f1.png

Image sourced from Fold3

His bother, James joined the Dorsetshire Regiment as a 'Boy' in 1911 (#9140). His papers are here. They should also be available on Ancestry.

There is good advice on how to research a soldier here.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks to Peter, Graeme and Chris. This has massively increased my knowledge of how and where my Great Uncle fought and died. Thanks are also forwarded from my brother, who shares my interest in genealogy and fascination about the Great Uncle we didn't know we had a few months back (a long story!). I have been fascinated by the Great War for 30 years but other than another of my mum's uncles, was not aware of family who served. That uncle Leonard Watkins was a telegraphist, survived the war and emigrated to Canada. He visited his niece several times and I met him as a child but sadly before I developed an interest in WW1. Of course, like many he may not have wanted to discuss it anyway. My father's father and his brother were too old and in any event both in reserved occupations. So discovering more about Great Uncle Thomas and his brothers has been wonderful. Thanks to you all for the quick and fact filled replies.