Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

David Boothby;

Sorry I've been very busy of late and not been able to get to the museum as yet to ask about the narrative - hope to do so this week.

Iona;

I have your copies and have sent you a PM.

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for the update, your time is much appreciated.

If you post any info over the next few weeks, don't think I've not bothered to reply. I'm going on detachment for a few weeks, so my internet access will be limited.

Thanks

Dave

Roy,

Thanks for the update, your time is much appreciated.

If you post any info over the next few weeks, don't think I've not bothered to reply. I'm going on detachment for a few weeks, so my internet access will be limited.

Thanks

Dave

Dave,

I'll get there soon and post your stuff (honest) :rolleyes:

Roy

Roy

Could you tell me the whereabouts of the 1/6th on 26/9/1915 please.

Ta very much

Dave

Roy

Ta very much

Dave

David,

Just got back from a few days on the Somme, I'll post tomorrow evening.

Roy

Roy

Ta very much

Dave

Dave,

On March 26th 1915 the 1/6th South Staffords had just been relieved from the trenches at Hill 60, outside of Ypres.

There is no further entry for the 26th.

Roy

Hi Roy

I wondered if you would be kind enough to check your war diaries for any references to the following names.

2nd Lt Cecil Harvey Denham, I believe he served with the 2/5th S.Staffs Possibly Ireland.

Pte 43748.Thomas Edward Turner Bn not known.

Pte 46671.E.E.Barley again Bn not known.

if you could help i would appreciate it,many thanks.

David.

Roy

Please could you tell me the position of the 1st Btn on November 7th 1914. I believe they were at or near Zillebeke but perhaps you could confirm this or even give me a more exact location.

I'm interested because my great uncle, 8643 Pte William Mallard 1st Btn South Staffs was kia on that day, along with most of the battalion from what I can gather. He is commemorated on the Menin Gate and I'm making my first visit to Ypres later this month to pay my respects.

Kind regards

Jan

Jan

I can give you information from The South Staffordshire Regiment by Jones.

Roy will then give you info from the diary on his return.

Zillebeke

“On the right of the British position, General Houssy, his troops of the 9th French Corps, was struggling hard to keep the line intact towards Klein Zillebeke. He had come to the British assistance in the nick of time, but could make no advance to relieve the sorely-pressed Brigades on his left.

For five days the battle slackened into an Artillery duel, and our war-worn and weary men had a brief breathing space. On November 5th the line was readjusted, and some relief was given to the 7th Division, which was now reduced from 12,000 men and 400 Officers, to a little over 3,000. The 1st South Staffords had lost quite 80 per cent, of their effectives in this fighting. They had been relieved for a few days, but were back in the line again on November 7th, when they and their comrades of the 22nd Brigade, made a brilliant assault at Zwartelen, taking and holding a German trench. In this attack, Captain J. F. Vallentin, who had been slightly wounded and was in hospital at Tpres, on November 6th, hearing that his Regiment was going into action that night, obtained permission to rejoin. He was again wounded while leading his men, but in spite of his two wounds, pressed on until he was killed by five or six machine gun shots. Thecapture of the trenches which followed was in a great measure due to the confidence which the men had in his able and courageous leadership. For this exploit Captain J. F.Vallentin was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross "for conspicuous bravery on November 7th at Zillebeke.

This was the first V.C. won by the South Staffordshire Regiment in the war, and the first one ever awarded to the 1st Battalion, the old 38th. After this fight the remnant of the 1st South Staffords were relieved, and went to a rest camp for refitting. Of the 1,100 Officers and men comprising the Battalion when it landed in Belgium on October 7th, only 78 remained. During this terrific fighting in front of Ypres when they helped to "bar and bolt the door" to the coast against the German hordes, practically every Officer had either been killed or wounded, and only one N.C.O. (C.S.M.F. Bytheway) was left to bring the men out of action. Owing to such a heavy casualty list among the Officers, few reports

or recommendations could be given, and probably, for this reason, the decorations awarded to the 1st Battalion for this month of terrific fighting, are so few in number. Unfortunately,all the records of the Battalion's work since they landed in Belgium, had been captured by the Germans during the night of October 20th-21st, when they were retiring on Ypres.”

Regards Doug.

There were three Holmfirth men who died with the South Staffordshire Regiment, two of them on the same day. I would be grateful for the diary entries for those two days.

2nd 5th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment, on Sunday 23rd September 1917.

James William Cartwright, Private (40761), KIA no known grave, and, George Kaye, Private (40786), he died of wounds.

2nd 6th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment on Thursday 21st March 1918.

Alfred Beckett, Private (42120), killed in action, no known grave.

Thanks,

Tony.

Doug

That's brilliant info, much more detail than I knew to date. Many thanks for that.

Captain J F Vallentin also gets a brief mention in The Story Of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment by Kingsford for the same action.

Thanks again and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jan

David, Jan, Tony,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've just got back from a few days R & R. I'll do your look-ups over this weekend.

Roy

David,

A result.

46671 E. (Edward) E. Barley was transfered from the South Staffords (not sure which Batt'n) to the 6th Leicesters as Pte. 42247 and was KIA 27/05/18, France and Flanders. additional info is that he was both born and enlisted in Hull.

Still trying on your other two men.

Roy

Hi Roy

Many thanks for the information on Pte Barley,I have many odd medals to the S.Staffs most of which i Have not even looked at researching,my collection is now into a couple of thousand in Number not all Staffs.

Thanks again for your hard work I owe you one.

Regards

David.

David,

No luck with your two other men I'm afraid. No mention of either of them in the war diaries.

Roy

PS, Have you thought about coming to a meet of the South Staffs Pals? Next one is Tuesday 2nd May at Wolverhampton.

David,

No luck with your two other men I'm afraid. No mention of either of them in the war diaries.

Roy

PS, Have you thought about coming to a meet of the South Staffs Pals? Next one is Tuesday 2nd May at Wolverhampton.

Hi Roy

Thanks for the look up,I would love to come to the Staffs Pals Next meet,If work permits I will Be There.

Thanks again.

David.

Tony,

Diary entry for 2/6th South Staffords 21/3/1918 (Page 1 of 2)

Diary entry for 2/6th South Staffords 21/3/1918 (Page 2 of 2)

Diary entry for 2/5th South Staffords 23/9/1917 (Page 1 of 2)

Diary entry for 2/5th South Staffords 23/9/1917 (Page 2 of 2)

Jan,

My copy of the 1st Batt'n South Staffords war diary jumps from 26th October to 10th November! I will check with the Regimental Museum during the week to check if there is an entry for this period in their copy.

Roy

Roy

There is no diary from 27th October to 9th November 1914. The battalion took so many casualties in this period the Btn existed in name only, of the 1,100 other ranks who were present at the start of the First Battle of Ypres only 78 remained. There was noone to write the diary

Regards Doug.

Roy

Thanks for looking. I've got a vague feeling (moderate memory failure) now that you mention those dates that maybe there are no reports. Basically no officers available to write them, but I can't remember where I read that.

Regards

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Is there any mention in the War Diaries of the following soldier from the 1/5th South Staffords?

Name: BURNS, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 9683

Additional information: Son of John and Susannah Burns, of 22, Cherry Orchard, Old Hill, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. L. 12.

Cemetery: FONCQUEVILLERS MILITARY CEMETERY

Many thanks

Graham.

Hi,

Also, if you wouldnt mind, could you post the 1/5th South Staffords war diary extract for the 1st July 1916 (1st day of the Somme).

Members of my family are visiting France in a couple of weeks and are wanting to visit the trenches, etc. where he fell.

Many thanks,

Graham.