Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

Graeme / Enoch / Tilton,

If you PM your postal addresses to me I'll copy and mail the other stuff on Wednesday.

Roy

Graeme / Enoch

Copies now in post.

Roy

thanks roy,

mines arrived too :thumbsup:

enoch

• 2 years later...
I am new to this forum and would be very grateful for any help.

My Grandfather enlisted on 10th Aug 1915 in Tipton, West Midlands and may have been assigned initially to the South Staffordshire regiment. He left Folkestone for Etaples on 19.4.1916 as desctribed in his British Army WW1 service discharge record. (which I've attached)

Herbert Charles Harding

1/6 Battalion South Staffs Reg.

Regiment Number 19881

Rank Private (Bugler?)

First joined for duty 10-8-1915 at Tipton

The record is different than a lot of the ones I looked at on the same website, rather than a enlistment record, it appears to be a "Z" discharge record from 1919. It shows he was gassed on 19th Oct 1918 and treated at the 3rd North Midland field ambulance.

The record shows he was posted to the 1/6 South Staffs Regiment on 13th October 1917, I'm trying to find out where he was from his arrival in April 1916 until October 1917.

A couple of the record entries are hard to read. I am hoping that you may have more experience in determining what these words say and in the terminology used.

There is an entry on 26.9.16 "with the #$# at #$@" Do you have any idea of what this says? It appears to possibly say "With the 5th at buly" or "With the 6th at 1/July" or some other permutation. Can you commment on that this says?

The top of the form also has a faded stamp "10th (Reserve) Bn So Staffs. Regt." In the "Regiment or Corps" entry. Which agrees with his postings to Lichfield Harrogate and Rugley before departing for France.

I would be extremely grateful for any help, as I 've come to a bit of an impasse, regarding

(i) Which regiment he actually initially enlisted in

(ii) If you could post the war diary entry for 19th Oct 1918 and a day or so either side for the 1/6th S.Staffs which might show where he was when gassed

(iii) Where the 3rd North Midland field Ambulance was (I saw on a map a town called "Frensnoy le Grand" which agrees with what he wrote on the record, but any more information would be great to have).

I realise that is a lot of questions. I shall be most grateful for any help you can provide, if I have asked the questions in the wrong area of the forum, I would appreciate it if you tell me where I should post it.

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher Haddock

Charles Herbert Harding's Grandson.

enclosed

"Z" discharge war record for

Charles Herbert Harding

Medal sheet

My grandfathers medal sheet (copy enclosed) has him listed in the both the "9 / S. Staffs R" and also the "Worc R".

Looks like the files I have exceed the upload size, I can send a zip file to your email address if you would like to see the whole record.

post-110148-0-96005000-1399557464_thumb.

Hi Chris

I feel you have made a big mistake posting at the end of a thread which is over 2 years old. My advice is to start again in the 'Soldiers' thread.

Re the 26 September, I think that he was 'wounded, stayed at duty' ie the wound was not severe enough to warrant going for treatment.

Good luck with your research,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Many thanks for the information, and the advice to post in the more appropriate section. What a great forum this is.

regards

Chris

• 2 years later...

looking at seeing the war diaries for the 2/6th south staffords

my father James William Price TF  No 554 later 40020 served with them.

37 minutes ago, ren134 said:

looking at seeing the war diaries for the 2/6th south staffords

my father James William Price TF  No 554 later 40020 served with them.

Go to Stu Briscoe's 'Black Country Territorials' website. You'll find the diaries there.

Roy

• 8 months later...
On 28/09/2005 at 17:33, Roy Evans said:

I have just been fortunate enough to get copies of four more South Staffs war diaries. Should anyone want look-ups I now have the following in full;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th and 8th Battalions.

Roy

Dear Roy,

I'd be immensely grateful for details regarding the wounding and death from wounds of L/Cpl Bertrand William (Billy) Charles, 200593(?) 1st/5th Batt S. Staffs.

He died 23 Mar 1917 (aged 21, on his birthday) and is buried at Etaples. I'm researching him for a friend.

Regards,

Jamie.

mailjamievans@gmail.com.

Edited by Barnbarroch
Missed a bit!

• 5 months later...

Hello Roy

I wonder if you have anything in your files regarding 2nd Lieutenant GERALD STANWAY who died on 5th October 1917 and is buried in the Dozinghem Military Cemetery near Poperinge, Belgium. According to his CWGC record he was 5th battallion attached to 7th Batallion so not sure whose records, if any, his death may appear in.

Thanking you in advance

Claire

No mention of him in the 5th Battalion diaries but he gets 3 mentions in the 7th Battalion diary.:

1st November 1916   MAISON ROLLAND

Training in open warfare. Weather still adverse.

Following officers returned from duty with 32nd Bde:-

2/Lts. A. BONNER, G.C. WEST, W.B. STEELE, J.R. COTTERILL, J.E. DUMBLETON, F. HOYLE, G. STANWAY

19th November 1916  VARENNES

2nd Lt STANWAY attached for duty to D.H.Q. as Assistant A.P.M.

PM me your email address and I will let you have details of the battle in which he received his fatal wounds. (3rd entry)

Roy

• 3 months later...

I am researching Serjeant Alfred Cleveley Service No: 9627, South Staffordshire Regiment, 1st Bn. Honors: M M  He died on 12 May 1917, and is remembered on the Arras memorial, panel 6.  I surmise that he died at the second battle of Bullecourt.  His medal rolls index card states that he served first in the Balkans, from 21/07/15.  It is unclear where he was awarded the Military Medal. Newspaper reports about him state that he served in Gallipoli.  The unit history of the South Staffordshire Regiment on http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk  mentions Gallipoli only in relation to the 7th Battalion South Staffs, and says "July 1915 Mobilised for war and embarked for Gallipoli from Liverpool. 07.08.1915 Landed at Gallipoli and engaged the Turkish forces in various actions."  My question is: can it be possible that he could have been in both battalions: the 7th then the 1st, as it appears that the 1st Battalion did not serve in Gallipoli?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Celia Drew.

Photo added by Iain MacFarlaine

Add Photos Request Photo

Advertisement

Hi Celia,

10 hours ago, CeliaDrew said:

My question is: can it be possible that he could have been in both battalions: the 7th then the 1st, as it appears that the 1st Battalion did not serve in Gallipoli?

Yes. His medal roll records show that his overseas service was with the 7th Battalion, then the 1st. His Soldiers' Died record shows that he was born in Powick, and enlisted in Lichfield. His Soldiers' Effects record (incorrectly under the name of Arthur) shows that the amount of war gratuity paid to his mother (Mary A) was based on a rank of Corporal. The amount shown as paid can be used to calculate war service counting from circa August 1914. He might have been serving pre war, but given the history of the 7th Battalion, I suspect that he may have enlisted in the very early days. His Military Medal card shows that he was an acting Sergeant with the 1st Battalion when he earnt the award, and that it was announced in the London Gazette of 12th March 1917. There is advice on researching a Military Medal here

The war diary for the 7th Bn in Gallipoli is here on Ancestry. For their time in France (prior to the LG date) it's here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. Unfortunately, I don't know when and why he transferred to the 1st Bn. Their war diaries are here at the National Archives, or (for the period January 1916 to November 1917) here on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris

• 10 months later...

hello there !

I am also researching a soldier from the the 1/5th battalion south staffordshire regiment in june 1916....anyone's got the war dairy of the battalion for that month ? That will be great Ta

Gitou,

Thats the problem attaching a request to the end of an old thread, no-one sees it.

What date are you after ??

Regards,

Graeme

• 9 months later...
On 10/02/2020 at 16:28, Uncle George said:

I’m researching Sidney Welchman, a Major in the 1st Battalion.

have you seen this thread which has extracts of war diary and mentions his wounding ? Also mentions his groom and Welchman going to MI5 in 1915. Since founding head of Army Section was also South Staffs (Vernon Kell) then this is presumably not a coincidence ?

Charlie

12 hours ago, charlie962 said:

have you seen this thread which has extracts of war diary and mentions his wounding ? Also mentions his groom and Welchman going to MI5 in 1915. Since founding head of Army Section was also South Staffs (Vernon Kell) then this is presumably not a coincidence ?

Charlie

Thank you. Very helpful indeed.

• 5 months later...

Am researching Private Thomas Patrick Cassidy, kia 26th October 2014 in 1st Battle of Ypres. We know he was a regular solider in 1st Battn South Staffordshire Regt. No known grave but name is on Menin Gate. Fighting was heavy with large losses from the original BEF. Discovered quite recently through ancestry research, that he was my great uncle. Have been unable to discover any more info or photograph, newspaper reports etc. Anyone able to help please?

2 hours ago, Bob Cross said:

Am researching Private Thomas Patrick Cassidy, kia 26th October 2014 in 1st Battle of Ypres. We know he was a regular solider in 1st Battn South Staffordshire Regt. No known grave but name is on Menin Gate. Fighting was heavy with large losses from the original BEF.

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully one of the admins will spot this and split it off into it's own topic so it gets a bit more attention.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission website shows him with service number 8056.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1606151/THOMAS PATRICK CASSIDY/

Soldiers died in the Great War, an HMSO publication from the early 1920's, shows him as Killed in action, born Lichfield, Staffordshire, resident Birmingham and enlisted Walsall, Staffordshire.

Paul Nixon's Army Service number website shows 8056 being issued by the Regular Army battalions of the South Staffordshire Regiment between the 29th April 1907 (7971) and the 17th January 1908 (8249).

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/12/south-staffordshire-regiment-regular.html

The standard term of enlistment was 12 years but by those dates the spilt that was being pushed by the Army was 3 years "in the colours", (i.e. in uniform under full military discipline) and 9 years in the reserves. Other splits were available, and a man could always extend the time in the colours and reduce the time in the reserves. There was also the option of signing up for 21 years to qualify for a pension.

Thomas may well have extended his time - on the 1911 Census of England & Wales taken on the 2nd April 1911 there is a 23 year old Thomas Cassidy, born Lichfield, an unmarried soldier who was recorded as a visitor in the household of a 48 year old widow, Elizabeth Rochelle, at 10, Wisemore, Walsall, Staffordshire. It remains a possibility however that he was a recalled reservist at the outbreak of the war.

FindMyPast has a couple of pages of surviving service records for Thomas - over 60% of other ranks service records were destroyed during the blitz, and much of what survives has been damaged. Both relate to the disposal of his personal effects, which should go to his mother, Mrs Mary Cassidy, of 12 Essex Street, Birmingham.

His Medal Index Card, (literally an index card prepared post-war at the records office to document the issue of medals) shows that he qualified for the 1914 Star with clasp, having landed in France on the 4th October 1914 with the 1st Battalion. He was also entitled to the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

Our parent site, the Long, Long Trail, has this to say about the 1st Battalion.

August 1914 : in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
Returned to England, landing Southampton 19 September 1914.
Came under orders of 22nd Brigade in 7th Division. Moved to Lyndhurst.
6 October 1914 : landed at Zeebrugge.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/south-staffordshire-regiment/

(I think the dates of landing are sometimes when the Battalion first officially paraded and was taken on the strength of the British Expeditionary Force - it would seem likely that even if Thomas was a mobilised reservist he would have joined up with them while they were in England)

The National Archive is currently offering free downloads of items like War Diaries, subject to registering an account. While it is very unlikely to mention him by name, it might be worthwhile getting a copy to get a feel for what they were up to during his three weeks of campaigning. I believe this is the one you need:-

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352439

The old version of the Long Long Trail used to host a critical response online to a general statement that the British Officer class were tactically naive schoolboys. The response focused on this particular battalion.

"Most of the junior officers who landed with the original contingent at Zeebrugge in early October 1914 could hardly be described as schoolboys and whilst their war history is short, their performance reveals Gudmundsson’s description to be inappropriate. All regulars, the company commanders were Major Sidney Welchman, who had twenty years pre-war service including combat experience in South Africa; Captain John Vallentin, nineteen years a soldier, had also faced the Boers. Captains Charles Green and Clem Ransford, with thirteen years each, were experienced only in peacetime activities. Even so, a quarter of the subalterns were young and inexperienced. Second Lieutenants Charles Limbery, Dudley Twiss, Charles Burt and Henry MacGeorge – all of whom would develop into good Captains – each had less than four years in the army. Frederick Tomlinson, commissioned on 26 August, had received practically no training when he went to war and had to learn “on the job”.

The battalion was all but destroyed within a month of arrival. Many of the officers of the BEF might be justifiably described as tactically naïve at this time, for few had anticipated the realities of entrenched defence against the weight of artillery fire experienced at Ypres. Some behaviours seem naïve in retrospect but are wholly understandable in the context of contemporary training and values. Battalion officers expressed concern when ordered to loophole the walls of farm buildings in order to hold the Ghent canal crossing at Swynaerde. After all, their training had deprecated damage to civilian property. Under intense pressure a few days later at Kruisecke,

“The line held under the deadly destruction of shell and machine-gun bullets for three hours, when by a ruse of the enemy behind them shouting ‘Retire!’, a few of the South Staffords obeyed”.

Although Arthur Conan Doyles' The Great War The British Campaign in France and Flanders, can be a bit jingoistic at times, this bit for Volume 1 is worth a read for setting out the basic chain of events.

At this time the 20th Brigade, being the extreme right of the Seventh Division, held an extended line. from Kruiseik cross-roads, about a mile east of Gheluvelt village, to near Zandvoorde, with a salient at the village of Kruiseik. On the night of the 25th the Germans planned a furious attack upon the whole salient. The assailants, who were mostly Saxons, broke through the 2nd Scots Guards just north of Kruiseik and got behind the line, which was pushed back for some distance, though Captain Paynter, with the right-hand company, held his position. A counter-attack by the Guards retook the line, together with 200 prisoners, including 7 officers. On the morning of the 26th the Germans were back on them, however, and began by blowing in the trenches of the Border Regiment south of Kruiseik. The German guns had found the exact range of the trenches, and the defenders had the same terrible and intolerable experience which had befallen some of their comrades two days before. It was simply impossible to stand up against the incessant shower of shattering shells. So great was the concussion and the nervous strain that many of the men exposed to it got completely dazed or even became delirious. Grenadiers, Scots Guards, and South Staffords, of the 20th Brigade, held the line until the front trenches were carried by the Germans and many of the occupants made prisoners. It was pitch dark, and it was impossible to tell friend from foe. Major Fraser of the Scots Guards, going forward to reconnoitre, was shot dead and his party was destroyed. A house in a field taken by the Guards yielded no fewer than 200 prisoners, but in the confused fighting in the darkness our losses were greater than our gains. It was in this night-fighting that Lord Dalrymple, Colonel Bolton, and other officers, with some hundreds of men, fell into the hands of the enemy after a most heroic resistance to overpowering numbers and to a weight of artillery which was crushing in its effect. The King's Company of the 1st Grenadiers was isolated and in great danger, but managed to link up with the British line. The 1st South Staffords also lost some hundreds of men, and was only saved by fine handling on the part of Colonel Ovens. Kruiseik was abandoned, and a new line taken up half a mile farther back. It was a critical night, during which the energy and firmness of General Capper were splendidly employed in reforming and stiffening his sorely tried division. On the 26th the 20th Brigade, which had been so heavily hit the day before, was drawn out of the line for a rest, and the two other brigades closed up to cover a shorter line. The work of the 20th at Kruiseik had been magnificent, but their losses were appalling, including their Brigadier, Ruggles-Brise, who was wounded. Here, for the instant, we shall leave the Seventh Division, though their ordeal was by no means done.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks12/1202551h.html#chap8

It doesn't look like the International Committee of the Red Cross received a missing person enquiry for him.

On page 9 of the edition of the Walsall Observer, and South Staffordshire Chronicle dated 2 January 1915 there is a photo gallery "The Toll of the Brave" which includes a picture of a Private T. Cassidy (1st South Staffords Killed)

991741687_WalsallObserverandSouthStaffordshireChronicle02January1915Page9sourcedFindMyPastTCassidyCropped.png.5bf53f82722c55ce4187d0e8b4e5c887.png

(Source FindMyPast but should also be on the British Newspaper Archive).

Elsewhere on the same page there is reference under the heading "Army Boxer Reported Killed" that a Private Thomas P Cassidy, (27) who returned from South Africa with the 1st South Staffords in September and had then gone out to France was reported by a comrade home wounded as killed. There is more on the family, (parents late of Walsall, now moved to Birmingham) and a mention of the other brothers who were serving.

1385612961_WalsallObserverandSouthStaffordshireChronicle02January1915Page9sourcedFindMyPastArmyBoxerReportedKilled.png.c8de9d6da6828afcee15752205258b31.png

(Source FindMyPast but should also be on the British Newspaper Archive).

Hope that helps,

Peter

Hi

I have this on him,

Thomas Patrick CASSIDY

Private 8056

1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment

Died in Belgium on Monday 26 October 1914

Thomas was born in Lichfield, the son of Martin and Mary Cassidy of 1, Frederick Street, Walsall, his father being a building labourer. The family resided in Birmingham at the time of his death.

Thomas enlisted in the Army in 1907 at that time employed as a caster’s helper at Gill and Russell Limited, Pleck Road, Walsall.

Drafted to France on Sunday 4 October 1914, his regiment was in constant action against the Germans to thwart their attempts to reach Calais. On Sunday 25 October 1914 they moved from Polygon Wood to new positions at Kruiseecke, north east of Gheluvelt where they held a ridge of ploughed land. They were constantly subjected to artillery barrage during the following two days.

Casualties for the two days are recorded as 4 officers killed and 8 wounded and 440 other ranks killed, wounded or missing.

The War Diary (in part) records,

“25 October 1914 - At 4am the regiment moved off towards Kruseik where we were attached to the 20th Brigade. “D” Company was left…..the rest of the battalion entrenched at the bottom of the hill behind the Grenadier Guards section and near the Brigade H.Q.

26 October 1914 - “B” Company were used on patrol in rear of the Grenadier Guards trenches, where they patrolled all night and retired from there at 7am on the 26th going into our original barracks. We remained there until 10am about which hour we received orders to reinforce “C” Company. Two platoons were sent forward under Lieutenant Hume for this purpose and during the heavy firing several men were killed and wounded including Lieutenant Hume who did so well.

“C” Company advanced at 7.30pm to reinforce the Border Regiment under very heavy rifle fire.

About 2pm a party under Colonel Ovens and Captains Bonner and White took up a position along a ridge of ploughed land, also along a road and wood running north east to Gheluvelt….. enemy were then were bursting their shrapnel beautifully on this ridge and Jack Johnsons were falling beside our hasty entrenchments dug with the small entrenching tool and even hands alone.”

Thomas has no known grave and is commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial on Panel 35 and 37. He was 26 years of age.

Thomas had several brothers who also served in the war and survived.

Martin served in the 1st Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment with regimental number 8027 and was drafted to France on Sunday 4 October 1914 with his brother. He must have been serving with Thomas when he was killed. He later served as a Sapper in the Royal Engineers with regimental numbers 32767 and 344815.

John served in the Royal Field Artillery, William served in the Royal Marines and the youngest, James, served with the Dorsetshire Regiment.

Regards,

Graeme 

cassidy t.jpg

Hi again,

Full War Diary  entries for 25 - 26 October '14;

The whole Battalion were in the wood near the Brigade Headquarters just off the Ypres Road. At 4 a.m. the Regiment moved off towards KRUSEIK where we were attached to the 20th Brigade.
‘D’ Company under Captain Ransford was left under Colonel Earle who commanded the Grenadier Guards and who was a son of General Earle who was killed with Colonel Eyre at the Battle of Kirbekae on the 10th February 1885. Here you see that history repeats itself again. Of course to those who do not know, General Earle commanded the force at the battle of Kiebekae, Colonel Eyre was the Colonel who commanded the 38th Regiment at this battle and who had risen from the ranks being granted a Commission for distinguished service in the Crimea.
The rest of the Battalion entrenched at the bottom of the hill behind the Grenadier Guards section and near the Brigade Headquarters. ‘A’ Company dug trenches along the road and ‘B’ and ‘C’ occupied the bomb-proof shelters near the Battalion Staff H.Q.
On the night of the 25th, about 7 p.m. ‘D’ company who were in Reserve with the Grenadiers were ordered to go up and reinforce the firing line and after they had been there some considerable time they captured 19 German prisoners behind the Grenadiers trenches. As ‘D’ Company entered the village behind the Grenadier Guards trenches they surprised a German patrol of snipers and took them prisoners. Captain Ransford and Lieut. Twiss moved on with two platoons and, having moved forwards about 250 yards, came under very heavy rifle fire from the Scots Guards trench which was now in the possession of the Germans. At about the same time the Scots Guards behind commenced firing thinking they were the enemy.
It was here that Captain Ransford, I am informed by an officer that was present, told Lieut. Twiss to carry on. Captain Ransford, who had already been wounded a second time in the arm, went forward alone to reconnoitre the enemy’s position and has not been seen of heard of since. This officer, I am informed by all ranks, did excellent work, both on this day and many other days previous to the one described. This detachment was practically wiped out to a man.
Before midnight Lieut. Twiss who had also done very hard work, had been wounded. Orders were brought back to reinforce the party under Lieut. Twiss. This was being carried out when they came under heavy fire unexpectedly from the front, being under the impression that they were being fired at by their own men, they moved 70 yards to their left flank and got into the Grenadier Guards trenches and remained there until one hour before dawn.
In the course of the night a party of Germans came up to the front of the trench saying “Don’t shoot we are Scots Guards and South Staffords.” but when within about 10 yards the spikes of their helmets were plainly seen and the troops of course fired on them, and those that were left beat a hasty retreat.
Late this night, which was a very miserable one of continuous heavy rain the whole night through, ‘A’ Company under Major Welchman reinforced the Border Regiment. They had to advance to this position under a terrible hail of bullets. With reference to this advance, No. 2 Platoon under Lieut. McGeorge was ordered by Major Welchman to lie down in extended order. The Major moved forward to a farmhouse to see if he could see anybody there, and he shouted back “There is only one wounded”, and he was immediately returning when No. 4 Platoon under 2nd Lieut. Tomlinson came from the farmhouse and caught 6 German snipers. He brought them to Major Welchman who gave the order for them to be taken away to the 22nd Brigade Headquarters, immediately after which he ordered the N.C.Os. and men to get into the Border men’s trenches, after which they remained there until 8 a.m. on the 26th. The casualties here were very heavy. Major Welchman was wounded during the night or early morning. Lt. McGeorge was wounded about 7.15 a.m. on the 26th. Lieuts. Tomlinson and Bean, about 7.30 a.m. on the 26th, were both hit in the leg by a bullet; the latter two have not yet been heard of.

‘B’ Company were used on patrol in rear of the Grenadier Guards trenches, where they patrolled all night and retired from there at 7 a.m. on the 26th, going into our original barracks near the Battalion Headquarters. We remained there until 10 a.m. about which hour we received orders to reinforce ‘C’ Company. Two Platoons were sent forward under Lieut. Hume for this purpose and during the heavy firing several men were killed and wounded, including Lieut. Hume who did so well. He was undoubtedly one of the pluckiest and cheeriest of Officers and was smoking a cigarette at the time he was hit, and had previously been directing his men where to fire.
‘C’ Company advanced at 7.30 p.m. to reinforce the Border Regt. under very heavy rifle fire. They had instructions under Major Loder-Symonds and Lieut. Shore that the position was to be held at all costs. Early next morning a message for reinforcements was sent to the Colonel, who dispatched Lieut. Hume and party of ‘B’ Company. Major Buckle was also with this party.
It was this day that Colonel Ovens and Captain Bonner were ordered by the Brigadier of the 20th Brigade to hold the trenches or position in rear of the Gordons and the remainder of ‘B’ and ‘C’ Coys.
It was here that Colonel Ovens, who was fearfully pressed for men, saw a sort of general retirement. Captain White was sent to ascertain the reason of it and found that a message or word of command “Retire” had been given by, I think, a German. All Corps, numbering about 250 men and Officers were making a retirement in a disorderly mob. Captain White explained the retirement had not been ordered: he got the men together and with difficulty brought them forward to the firing line under fearful shell and rifle fire. This was of course what was badly wanted, as every man was urgently needed at this critical moment, and as these men were brought forward, Colonel Ovens and Captain Bonner, who had worked trying to cope with one of the most critical situations, managed to reinforce the most dangerous positions and kept the general line intact.
The 25th and 26th of October were the most trying days the Battalion had seen during the campaign to date. The Germans had been pressing hard all day to push through our very weak trenches, which had been very much reduced by fearful shell and rifle fire.
About 2 p.m. a party under Colonel Ovens and Captains Bonner and White took up a position along a ridge of ploughed land, also along a road and wood running N.E. to Gheluvelt, where we held the road until nearly dark, in view of, it was thought, a forced retirement of our Brigade who had suffered so severely. The enemy then were bursting their shrapnel beautifully on this ridge and Jack Johnsons were falling beside our hasty entrenchments dug with the small entrenching tool and even hands alone.
The following Officers and total men were killed and wounded during the days of the 25th and 26th October: -
‘A’ Company
Major Welchman wounded.
Captain de Trafford, prisoner.
Lieut. Bean, wounded and prisoner.
Lieut. McGeorge wounded.
Lieut. Tomlinson, wounded and prisoner.

‘B’ Company.
Lieut. Hume, killed.

‘C’ Company.
Captain Green, wounded.
Lieut. Shore, wounded.
Lieut. Moore-Radfield, wounded and missing.

‘D’ Company.
Captain Ransford, wounded and missing.
Lieut. Twiss, wounded.
Lieut. Bower, wounded.
Lieut. Riley, prisoner.

About 80 killed and 360 wounded and prisoners.

Regards,

Graeme