Gone, but not forgotton Guy Graydon 1894-1915 kia Gallipoli

jimmy

28 Second Ave

Kings Park

Cathcart

Jan 15th 1917

Monday

My Dear Margaret,

What do you think, here I am sitting in the dining room in front of a big fire enjoying a nice smoke, well dearie it seems to be too good to be true, but anyway I’m here just now. I got home this morning about 10 o’clock. I left Warwick last night and traveled over night, and as I haven’t commenced any “work” yet & don’t like to leave a nice fire, I just said to myself, “I don’t think Margaret would object to a letter” so here goes.

Yesterday was my day for writing, but with getting ready to go & squaring my papers etc, I didn’t really have a moment, but I think you will be all the more pleased to get it from Mount. I am not in a position to give you any news yet dearie, as I have not seen anyone yet out side the family. I am very pleased to say that they are all well, altho’ there is a vast difference in all. Father & Mother are both looking a lot older, but what can one expect, one thing I am glad about is that mother is wonderful considering, and I am trying to be as cheery as possible, for I don’t believe, altho’ it is a bit hard, in making it any more dull than possible. Winnie is a lot older too, and is really “blooming” out beautifully and I am going to take her under my wing till the proper little dear comes along herself.

Now aren’t you pleased at that? I will do as John has done to you, and it will always keep my knowledge etc of young ladies up to the scratch. Then if I do wrong you needn’t be afraid, but Winnie will soon let me know & tell me exactly how it should be done. Yes dear I got quite a pleasant surprise when I saw the “kid”; she has turned out quite decent, and with a little patience I think I should make quite a good job of her.

Well darling the old Mount is still looking the same old place. When I came through, I had to have a look a Garnet, it too is still there & the window, you used to so often look out at for me. Oh! If we could only go back to these days once more, and pay our weekly visit to the Carmunnock Road etc.

I am keeping quite well now Margaret, but was really intended to go to a convalescent home at Epison near London, however I managed to get round the doctor and he let me get home. I didn’t fancy going away there.

I have not had any letter from you yet dear, but I think there should be one any day now. Now my dear I hope you will excuse the wee note this time I have really nothing to say yet, but will be able to give you all the news in my next. I didn’t want to miss a week & so I think you will excuse the short one this time. I hope you are keeping well darling and all the others too. Mother wants to be remembered very kindly to you all. By the way Margaret, mind & send on any letters that are returned to you from France, I’m so greedy, I was so sorry at missing them all. Well sweetheart, I will stop now and will give you the news next time. With all my love dear girl.

Ever your own loving

Arthur

I can imagine Arthur & Margaret meeting up in happier times, at the Mount Station.

post-3199-1143306476.jpg

Hut 12 B Battery

5th Reserve Brigade RFA

Scotton Camp

Catterick Yorks

Jan 28 1917

My Dearest Margaret,

Here I am back soldering once more, and feeling more or less generally fed up. But what more could one expect after a nice quiet time at home again. I had a most enjoyable time darling and although very quiet compared to the last leave; I must say I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I did very little visiting indeed; the only night I spent at any house was up at Mary’s. There was only a few there. Miss Joye, the noble Hugh & yours humble. I went up about 8 PM & we sat & talked for most of the time, & had about an hours cards, then supper. It was a very nice quiet evening; Mr. & Mrs. Harris are so nice & are most tactful in choosing the way of spending an evening. Joye F seems to be improving quite decently, and is a great more sensible than previous. Hugh B although a perspective son in law, has rather a poor time of it, and I must say I don’t in the least envy him in his present position. I don’t suggest anything against Carrie, far from it, but he has no look in as far as Pa & Ma are concerned.

I had Mary on Tuesday afternoon at the Pictures then we had tea before going home. She’s a right decent wee soul, and I enjoyed my short time with her very fine. But dear Margaret, I simply can’t put into writing, how I missed my own little girl. When I saw other boys whom I knew, out with their proper girls, oh! It did make my teeth water. I simply don’t know how I’ll get on when I get home and have my little time to wait for you coming back to me. I suppose I’ll just need to console myself by planning for that great event. It makes me more & more grateful to you darling, for if your feelings & longings are anything like mine, it must be very brave of you. For you know it’s so different when one is mixed up with & sees only boys from morning to night, that when at home & seeing the young ladies also.

I was up at the Bairds for a little one night, a difference from the old days when we used to stay till all hours. I was the only visitor & we had quite a decent little time. I took Winnie & her little chum to the Alhambra on the Wednesday afternoon & we saw quite a decent little show. Least they enjoyed it & that was the main thing. The rest of my time I spent in the house except one night at my cousins, of course it was more formality than anything else. There’s nothing like the old fireside after all darling and although I think none the less of it for that. I did enjoy the quiet evenings at home, and you have no idea how much brighter mother was after about two days. We did not form what you would say a mournful party, and altho’ poor Andrew was in our thoughts most of the time, we did not talk a great deal about him, and mother is still in hope of him turning up. Of course I sided with her, but darling, after what I have seen, I am afraid there is very little hope for the poor boy, but we must not give up hope till there is some definite word.

What a difference in the old church. I was the only boy of the old lot there bar the two Browns, I really don’t know how they can show themselves in public the way they do. I saw one of Geo Henderson’s one day & she was telling me that Jimmie is expected home shortly, you know he has had one of his legs amputated, & is at present getting his artificial one adjusted.

When I got home of course I had to explore the house and when I went into the drawing room, what do you think was the first photo that caught m eye, well yours. The one you had taken just before you left Mount. It is a lovely picture of you dearest girl, I truly think I like it best of all, you see all the others I have got of you are small ones & your features are not so distinct as on it. The day before I left home I got your dear letter of 11th Jan, and so when I am in “Blighty” I seem to be nearer to you darling well I am sorry to say that to me it’s rather the reverse. When I was in France, it seemed as if you were just in the same old place, but I realized more fully how far away you were from me. You see before, I seemed to be still writing to Mount instead of far over the sea. Still we mustn’t grumble, some day we will be able to make up for it all, darling.

We are having very severe weather just now; it is the most prolonged period for sixteen years. There is about three or four inches of snow, & everything is frozen hard & has been for nearly three weeks. However I am jolly well off, I have a good hut, brick, and a straw bed & four blankets, a difference from sweeping away the snow for a bed. Would you believe it dearie; I haven’t slept under a roof since last May till I got into the hospital. We have had to scrape away two & three feet of mud to make a bed & then put down some stones to try & make it a little more dry.

Well darling I don’t think I have any more news just now; its just lights out & I don’t want to leave this unfinished. I hope you are keeping well dear and the same dear little Margaret as of old. Mother wants to be very kindly remembered to you, she thinks you so thin from your latest photo. With all my love dear girl, ever your own loving,

Arthur

Catterick

Feb 12 1917

Monday 2 AM

My Dearest Margaret,

I have indeed been the lucky and happy boy yesterday & today, rather Sat & Sunday for its now Monday morning as you will see from above, for I am on guard & as I think I once told you before the Corporal of the Guard dare not risk a sleep at night, and although its not actually fighting here, things are most regimental & we have to be very careful.

Well on Saturday I got your delightful long letter of 21st Jan and yesterday I got another dear little letter of 18th Jan. When I got the one of 21st first saying that you hoped I got the little extra, I could not quite understand what “extra” meant, however the mystery was solved alright today when I received it. Funny that they should arrive in the wrong order, I think they must have come over in the same boat, but got mixed up in the post office here. Well darling I can’t say how please I was at getting these two dear letters, it was some go, getting two, two days running. That was some letter you sent to Mary, and would you believe it, I am greedy enough to wish I was Mary on that occasion. No it’s just as you say I won’t raise any objections to that “extra” and never will, so you can fire away with as many extras as you like. I am sure that auto run was very enjoyable; you must be getting to know that part of the country very well by now.

I did not know that your mother was such a great Burnsite, no wonder she got the job of making the Haggis & I hope it was served up more like the real thing this year. I remember you telling me last year about some chef dishing it out in blocks & you not knowing when it was actually served up. Yes it’s a pity that ladies can’t partake of a Burns supper; I think its one of the very few festivities that the fair sex is barred from. No I don’t know that song “My laddie” Margaret, but I expect it will be a very nice one or else you wouldn’t have it. I am glad to hear that your cold is now gone, I am afraid you sent it over to me, for I have the most awful cough just now, one of the real old ones. It’s rotten & makes one feel sop tired & fed up. You do seem to be kept busy between your practicing & lessons dearie, but see and don’t over do it and knock your self up.

I saw that basket ball played once at Hughes Circus when I was a wee boy, oh! About thirteen or fourteen years ago. Doesn’t that sound an awful long time darling, it almost makes one feel a bit old to say it. Anyway I thought it a jolly good game & can quite understand Jim being crazy on it. You didn’t think of asking that Air Johnnie to give you a flight at Black Point. That’s one thing I would like to get, an aero plane journey even just for ten minutes or so, it must be a fine sensation. Then you finish up by saying you are feeling AI, “but do want to see me”, darling I wonder if you want to see me as much as I want to see you. I know how hard & seemingly wrong it is, but it is indeed very brave of you my little dear, for I think it is a lot harder for you in civil life than for me here, when I rarely see a lady. Least that was always my experience when home on leave. Its not so bad among all boys, but when one sees other couples enjoying themselves, I think it says a great deal for you sweetheart, for I know fine the ideals of a young lady like you. Needless to say dearest, I will never be able to thank you enough for remaining so true to me under these circumstances, its just the old thing, will make up for it all some day.

Well so much for that letter dear, but your one 24th Jan, just about breaks the record, whole 17 pages, and as you say sweetheart, it does contain some eventful happenings. I am glad you got the two letters ok Margaret even although one on top of the other. Just a little irregularity on part of the mail, but we won’t grouse about that. Now fancy meeting that young man in that peculiar way. I am sure you would be pleased to see him, but of course-er-ahem-, don’t like him too much, you see, I might get fearfully jealous and then there is no saying what might happen. Anyway see and give him a good time Margaret. I am sure it would be fine talking your voyage over and hearing how all the other passengers were getting on. It’s just like me here meeting a pal who left the battery after I did, and hearing all the latest about the different boys.

So you don’t want a photo of me clothed in mud, well if I get the chance again I will get one taken sure and send a copy on to you, so there. Yes dear my “stache” is off again and is still off, but it you want it on again, you only need to say the word and I am at your services. Now don’t forget, will you? It’s a good job dearest that you too, are not superstitious about that bachelor’s button I got at Xmas. Things would look black for you, as you say, if you were, but then you’re not darling and neither am I, as it’s a mere nothing, eh!

Yes it’s the talk at home that Carrie did not choose a very good partner, if it had been in ordinary times, it would not have been noticed so much, but when they are the only two left at home and are the talk of Mount generally, I think its rather a pity for Carrie & yet she has herself to blame entirely. And just a wee bit more between you and I, sweetheart, secret now, I don’t like her ring one bit. I’m making no mention as to its probable cost or anything like that, but just I don’t like it, its not the usual engagement ring shape like, I think you will understand me, and I may as well be frank, which style do you like Margaret?

That was jolly hard lines about Jim’s alligator & turtle, isn’t it rather that they should both wander away so soon. I’m afraid he will need to chain his kitten & so make sure of it anyway. So you have to watch over Jim when he is practicing & you think he takes advantage of you, wish I were in Jim’s place, I’m afraid there wouldn’t be very much music done, eh! Well so much for the two lovely letters dear and I must just thank you again very much for them, and mind, I never raise any serious abjections about “extra’s”. You dear girl.

I am still sticking out here and getting along fairly well, although I am a bit fed up with it. As I said before I am on guard just now. I stopped about page four & finished the rest this afternoon. It is now 3 PM, so I have only another two hours then my 24 hours are “n’a plus” (finished), and I won’t be sorry at all. It was very cold during the night, about four degrees of frost & it was no easy job keeping warm, however it’s just finished now. I am getting along pretty well & feeling nearly ok now, only this rotten cold makes me feel worse.

Mother was telling me Winnie had such a beautiful present from you, it was really far too good of you darling and I am sure she appreciates it very very much. I expect she will be writing you soon & thanking you herself. I don’t think there is any news from home that I can give you, do you know that Elphie Gillespie & Jean Cullen are being married before he goes back to the front. I wonder if they will take up a house meantime, you would think not. She could quite easily stay with her people till more normal times.

I have never been out of the Camp yet so can’t say much more about here yet. You see its five miles to the nearest village & nearly twenty to a town (Darlington), but next Saturday I think I will try for a pass there. Tomorrow I am a batch of recruits out to the rifle range to fire their musketry course. We are leaving camp at 5 AM & have a six mile march over moorland. I can tell you I’m not extra keen on it after being up all night; however the army doesn’t consider these things so here luck to it. I expect to get back about 4 PM, quite a decent days work, eh! The weather is still much the same; the snow is lying thick and the frost as severe as ever. It’s about time we had a change, nearly three months of it now. Well dear, I must stop now, here I am at nine of these pages, really I’m getting awful, and I hope they won’t bore you darling. Do you remember my first letter written on ship on my way to Liverpool, two pages I think and that took about a whole day, and its you to blame too. Now I hope you are in the pink dearie & remember me very kindly to all. With all my love dearest,

Your own loving

Arthur

Taken at Ashton, a ramble.

Left to right, front row

Winnie Sloan, Tom Fogo, Mary Watt

don't know them all.

George Bell first back row

poor lad, he is quite deaf,

the doctors can do nothing.

post-3199-1143306679.jpg

Catterick

Feb 19th 1917

Dearest Margaret,

I am a wee bit disappointed this week, dearie, you see, I have had no dear letter to answer, but I must not complain, for they have come so regular since I came home, that I should rather consider myself lucky. But you know how it feels yourself don’t you dearest, what a difference it makes when no mail arrives. Well I suppose I’ll just have to gather my wits and make up, instead of part answering. I think last week I told you that the snow was still to the fore, it’s all gone now, and left place to some beautiful mud. It makes one feel quite at home after being used to it so long. Another month and we should be getting some nice sunshine and warmth.

Last week I wrote my epistle while on guard and you bet I didn’t half sleep when I came off at 5 PM. I got my tea & wrote a wee note home, then went straight to bed, and woke up in exactly the same position as I feel asleep in. I think I told you too, I was taking a batch of recruits to the rifle range the next day. Well we sat off next morning at five thirty and arrived at the range at 8:30 am. It was some march, I can tell you dear. Right over Yorkshire moors and in some places the snow took us well over the knees. We marched in Indian file, (that one after the other), those leading had the worst of it for they had the soft snow to contend with & by the time the last man came it was fairly well trampled down. It was hard going & by the time we reached our destination, we were all pretty well “peched out”. It was the first of its kind I’d done since being in hospital, so I wasn’t in too good form. However I was not much the worse of my days stroll, 13 miles.

Charlie McCallum is away home for the weekend, and I had a letter from mother today & she had a visit from him & it quite bucked her up. I was three weeks here last Saturday, but I am considered due for leave, so have a bit to do yet. Mr. & Mrs. Wilson of Largs are staying in Pollokshields just now, Mr. W. has not been very well lately and was finding the traveling just a wee bit too much. They have got a very decent furnished house, three public rooms & seven bedrooms, it seems a wee bit big for just two of them, but, well you see what it is to have some hard cash handy.

The routine here is much the same as usual, only this week we had our first exam, it was on map reading, and considering I had only been at it over a fortnight and competing against others who had been at the same thing for months I was quite satisfied my results I got 82%. It’s rather an intricate subject, a lot more in it than I previously supposed. Dealing with magnetic variations angles etc, but it’s a dandy school for one with a little previous education, especially in maths. You know what I mean, there are such a lot of the boys, common working men (nothing against them) but they can’t possibly, or be expected to, have much of a knowledge of figures etc. It is the like of this that shows up the use of algebra & Euclid etc. I used to think they were useless affairs. The other work is also becoming very costly & delicate instruments to manipulate, and really it makes one feel rather an important personage. For in the common training of Terriors in peace time, its only officers who are instructed in them.

We have here, what is called a Composite Battery, they are all supposed to be trained men & ready in case of an emergency. Well on Saturday we had a field day; by the way they are nearly all BEF men. I was put into what is called the Battery Commanders staff and posted as “Lookout” or “Ground Scout Mounted”. My job was about half a mile in front of the battery. I had a telescope for my weapon, a horse holder, and a mounted runner accompanying me to carry back my reports; it was great sport, only we hadn’t the real “mackay” of live shells to trouble us. I enjoyed my days outing fine and was blessed with a half decent mount.

Now darling I have done nothing but blether about soldering, and I am sure you must be tired of it, but is rather difficult to get some “matter” to put down. How are you yourself, dear girl, I hope you are still keeping in the pink and as happy as ever. I’ve been thinking so much of you lately darling, I was dreaming, I think three nights ago, that I was beside you and talking to you. I cant remember just exactly what was on, or where we were, but when I woke up, there I was in my old straw bed as usual, it was only a dream, one of the many in which I see you sweet one, but cant just make out where we are. I have been thinking so much more since I came home, darling, of how this is actually going to settle up. I got my account settled up partially on Sat, and got another L 20 to sink in my little fund, it will always help, I think there’s about another seven or so to come yet, but I won’t get defiantly fixed till the end of the month. When is that little home of ours to come into being dearest? How much has to happen before then? Things are beginning to look rather more hopeful nowadays and if things go right we should see a vast difference this summer. Let it only get finished quickly dear, then we can get set too and make up, for the long lost time, in preparation, for that great would be place. It’ll be some place eh! Dearie. Do you ever think of what’s to be here, there and everywhere?

Did you hear about George Watt, he was submarined off Spain, but was one of the lucky ones & got safely landed after a rather & trying experience. It must have given them rather a nasty shock. They have given pretty well to the old country in Charlie, then John, you remember who was drowned some years ago in South America. Well dear Margaret I think I’m about exhausted now, I do hope I get a letter from you soon. This submarine business maybe to blame. Did you get any of the ones sent to France, back yet? Remember me very kindly to your mother & all the rest including Teen & baby. With all my love, dear girl, ever your own loving

Arthur

I am growing more daily to love you dear, a love that only time can make, when in Mount we could love each other, partly with the beautiful chances we had and the love of first getting to know each other, but now darling, with all reverence, I think that you and I are another two that are meant to be bound together and be companions for our after life”.

Catterick

Feb 25th 1917

Dearest Margaret,

I am a wee bit anxious about you this week. In last weeks letter I told you I had not received my usual letter, well darling I have received nothing this week either, and am wondering what is wrong. I am putting the blame on those submarines, and hope I am not doing wrong, surely if there is anything the matter with you sweetheart, I would have got a PC or something just telling me what was wrong, but I hope that you are quite well dearie, and that it is these subs that are to blame, the horrid things, causing us unnecessary alarms.

Well dear Margaret, I will have a bit of a job to scrawl off a decent letter, but will just need to do my best. Yesterday I got an afternoon pass and went into Darlington, for the afternoon and evening, and had a very nice time, Darlington is about sixteen miles from here and is the nearest big town. I daresay you will recognize the name alright. I left here about 1:30 PM and got to Darlington shortly after three. I had a short stroll round the town, sort of getting my bearings, and made a few minor purchases including the pen I am using now. It’s a Stylo and a jolly tidy little one too; it only cost me 3/6 and was well worth it. You will likely get more decent epistles now dearie, I was so long with the pencil that it was a thought to start and use a pen again, but this is a sort of half and half and will gradually break me into the proper pen before very long.

About half past five I went to have a right good feed, and did it in style’ by tackling a tophole hotel. I had a jolly good feed thank you, it consisted of, Fried Plaice and chips with hot buttered toast, it was the business, then I got hold of some bread butter & jam and it was as nice as any part of the banquet, then some fancy cakes etc and custard. It does not seem so much on paper, but I can tell you Margaret it was just about as much as I could tackle. Wish I was just at the same lot now. After tea I had another little stroll and seeing the pretty shops, I said to myself, “Wouldn’t this be a good chance to get something for Margaret’s’ birthday, even although it’s nearly two months too late”. However I went into a jewelers shop and had a bit of a look round. I finally fixed on a lovely little broach with some diamonds and a sapphire, and got it packed up & sealed and ready to post, but alas dearest when I went to post it, they wouldn’t accept it at the post office, & told me that no precious stones were allowed to leave the country; I don’t know when I felt so disappointed, really dearest girl I can’t tell you how I felt about it.

There has been so much going on at home with marriages and engagements & dear knows what not. I thought well its about time I was giving you something decent dear, just to show you that I still care for you and love you, darling, as much as ever, if not even more, but that’s not quite possible sweetheart, it can grow more and more close, our mutual love but darling, if I didn’t show it very much, when we were together it was there alright, and now, that we are so far apart and can only speak to each other by means of writing, I am growing more daily to love you dear, a love that only time can make, when in Mount we could love each other, partly with the beautiful chances we had and the love of first getting to know each other, but now darling, with all reverence, I think that you and I are another two that are meant to be bound together and be companions for our after life.

However dear Margaret I thought “There’s no use crying over spilt milk” and made my mind up and went bravely back to the shop and asked them to change it for something else, I was sorry I can tell you dearest. I didn’t know what to get, but latterly choose on a little trinket box, its not nearly so good but I didn’t think it advisable, under the present day circumstances and everybody economizing, to spend so much when I didn’t get what I wanted, and later when things are more normal, I can ask you to accept something else and so make up for that which was not allowed.

Now dearest I think you will agree with me, that I did right under the circumstances, but I was sorry dear, I can’t say how disappointed. Darling you understand? Don’t you. I hope you will like the little box and you can pair it with the one I sent from Rouen. There’s not very much happened here since I last wrote, the snow has all gone now, and today was quite Spring like, it will be fine to have the good weather here again soon. I have been detailed to conduct a draft to the front on Wednesday. I don’t know whither it’s to France or not, some say Salonica, but I will let you know in my next letter all about it. (Of course I’ll come right back again).

I hope you are quite well dearie and that there is nothing wrong and that I will have a letter very soon. With all my love, ever your own loving,

Arthur

Catterick Yorks

March 18th 1917

(Sunday)

My Dearest Margaret,

I expect you will be wondering what in all the earth has come over me for it is a three weeks today since I wrote my last letter to you, that is two I have omitted to write. Well my darling, I will just explain how it happened & you will excuse my apparent neglect.

On Sunday the 4th March about 3 o’clock in the afternoon, (that’s the first date I missed) I was going into my hut, with the intentions of starting your letter. I had just got into the hut, when an orderly came in & told me to report at the office at once. I went and was informed that I was to pack up & conduct a draft to France at 5 PM. Well as you can guess dearie, I had a queer old rush, to change & get cleaned up in time. We left at 5:30 PM & arrived at the coast the next (Monday) morning. We went straight on board & were in France by dinner time. I handed the men over to the required party there, & had a walk around the town, had dinner in a nice French Café & was on my way back to “Blighty” by 3 o’clock. We landed at 5 PM, and I was in London at seven; now how’s that for a quick continental tour, I really think that beats a Yankee tour to Britain, hollow, as far as speed goes.

Well Margaret, I went straight out to my cousins at Crouchend, and spent the night there. They were greatly surprised to see me, but we had a fine night & I had a nice soft bed once more. The next morning I left with my cousin Nan & accompanied her into the city, to her work. My other uncle works quite close to her, so I had her company most of the way. I went into my uncle’s place, spent an hour or so with him and then went out to Essex to my Aunts there, the one you saw when I was mobilized. I spent the day with her, and managed to beg my dinner off her & later afternoon tea; we had a very nice time, and she was asking very kindly for you, she remembers seeing you fine. I left about half past three & went back to the city & met my two cousins there, Hilda& Agnes. We had a stroll round the swell parts. Oxford St. Bond St. Regent Street etc & saw the toffs etc out shopping, it was fine.

We had tea in the “Maison Lyons” a beautiful place, an orchestra on each floor & most handsomely done up. After that we went in the Tube to Piccadilly & after another short walk, went to the Shaftsbury Theatre. “Three Cheers” was on, and the chief character was Harry Lauder. It was the first time they had seen him, so we all enjoyed it all the more, I like Henry Lauder very much myself. One of his songs was a patriotic one & as his only son a Captain was killed about a month ago in France, he seemed to have his heart at his mouth ere he had finished, oh! He did put feeling into it, and got a great cheer but no encore was given, I think it was too much for him. It was a fine show & being a semi-war play, it is the craze of London, it has been on for about four months now, & the place is still packed every night.

After the show, we went to Kings Cross Station and I got the 11:30 PM train back. I got back to camp the next morning in time for breakfast. But oh! Dear, the like of a wee trip like that makes one awful fed up for a whole week after. Leave etc is fine, but when one comes back it takes a bit of settling down again, before you are back to your usual again.

Well sweetheart, that’s my excuse for missing the first mail, but when you hear the next, you will laugh. As I said I got back on the Wednesday morning, at night I was politely told that my hut was isolated, one of the boys being ill & it was supposed to be Spotted Fever. So we were shut up & all our correspondence stopped. The next morning a Bacteriologist & two doctors arrived, the former took swabs? Of our throats, which was rather a funny sensation, a wee bit painful & caused them to bleed a lot. He put samples of all our throats under the microscope, to see if the germs of that disease were present, and a week later we were released, it being a false alarm, that was three days ago (Thursday). The disease that the fellow had was pneumonia, something entirely different eh! Still it was better to take the necessary precautions in case. The poor chap died last night from double pneumonia, I felt very sorry for his people, he was such a nice chap.

Now darling, that I have explained the cause of the non-letter writing, I am sure you understand & will just need to try and make up for lost time in my next few epistles. In my last letter Margaret, I told you I had not had a letter from you that week either, well, I have had two dear letters from you since, they are dated 2nd Feb & 15th Feb, in the first you tell me about missing the previous week, so they are all accounted for except the one of the 9th & I am rather afraid it must have been on the “Laconia” the Cunard boat that went down, however it can’t be helped, I’m lucky at getting so many as I do.

In the first one darling, you acknowledge my first one from home, I am so pleased dearie, that you liked it so much, being from Mount, I just thought you would like it, even altho’ I had just got home that day, I didn’t want to miss the mail, and as I told you already, I made as much of the fireside as possible, & so had every chance of writing in comfort. Yes it was fine to sit smoking in a big chair in front of the fire again dearie, it all just passed too quickly, all good things are the same.

Yes dear, my “big” sister and I are quite chummy, we have a regular weekly correspondence & really she writes some funny letters. She is quite a young lady now & as you say, can keep me in my place beautifully. She is learning the “maiden” etiquette splendidly, the last time I saw her she was only a little school girl. What a difference a year away from school makes. She will make a splendid “Locum tenens” till you come back, dearest. Then in your lovely long letter of 15th, you say that your last one was “rather a miserable affair”. What was wrong that week? Dearie, eh! However I am glad you are alright again, & back to your usual.

I didn’t tell you how Mary was looking, well Margaret, she was looking AI, of course she was always rather a delicate looking wee soul, but not so pale as usual. She hadn’t grown anymore yet, but that wouldn’t make any difference, she would still be the same, as you know her of old. No, it’s alright dearie, I didn’t show mother all the little snaps you sent me, I am too sagacious (oh! What a whopper) for that, I know you sent them for me alone & they still are mine & quite private too, don’t you worry dear. It was the one with you and John that she remarked on your thinners, and really you do look thin in it, whether it’s the photo to blame, I don’t know.

If you get your picture taken “daintily”, you can send it to 28 please, for I am always shifting from one part of the camp & I don’t want to run any chance of it going astray. What about Mr. Kennard, you never mention him now, is he still in Jax? Now sweetheart, I must stop now, here I am at my eight pages; I’m getting an awful blether in my old age. Still I hope it doesn’t spoil you. I must write something. Remember me very kindly to all at 2126 & Teen & Joe, ever your own loving,

Arthur

Catterick

March 25th 1917

My Dear Margaret,

I have no letter to answer this week yet, last Sunday I answered one of the previous week & one of a fortnight before that, so that is two still to come, one for last Sunday & one for today. I wonder what has gone wrong this time dearie, they usually arrive on a Sunday & seeing I got none last Sunday I was almost certain there would be one at least, however I was doomed to disappointment, and so will just need to try my best and compose my yarn on the spur of the moment.

Well darling, I started a special month’s course at the beginning of this week, an instructor’s course, so you can bet that I am having a very busy time. I finish about 7:30 at night and then have all my notes etc to write up, this takes me sometimes well on to eleven o’clock. I have finished with one subject already and that is equitation, in other words riding. We had been at the riding school a week yesterday (Saturday) and the Officer i/c Equitation was there, he picked out two or three of us & made us do a few tricks on our own, then put us over the jumps, three in succession first time with reins & stirrups, second time, with reins & no stirrups & third time without reins or stirrups & the arms folded. We all three got over them beautifully & he chased us out of the school, saying that it was a place for learners not for amusing others. He was trying to be funny by his way of it, but anyway it’s always a start & full marks in the first subject at least.

The rest is not quite so sportive, its pure hard stewing, and a bit more than I bargained for, still its pleasant word Margaret, and quite to my liking. It includes ordinary gun drill, which is a cake-walk, but the mathematical part is the bit that’s “the cause of all the trouble”. But I am sticking in for all I’m worth dearie, for if I manage to pass this lot, & get a job as instructor, it will help to keep me here all the longer. Things here are jolly comfortable and I mean to stick it out as long as possible. No more fighting if I can get a better job.

Well Margaret, I expect you will have been reading of the Allies latest work, its some Advance isn’t it, I would have liked fine to have been in at it, just for the novelty; if we will only keep it up & shove the old Boch right to the Rhine & a bit further, it will help things considerable. Then things in Mesopotamia are going fine too & Egypt also. In fact I almost think that the last lap has got well started this time, I hope so anyway.

Now dearest I think that about enough for this place, I don’t know whether it is very interesting or not, but there is nothing else to talk about here. How are you getting on yourself sweetheart. I hope you are still keeping well & cheery darling, how I would like to see your dear face again, just for a wee while. Margaret dear, I often wonder how I have got along, so long without you, if it wasn’t for your dear letters, I don’t know what it would be like. I have been so busy lately that I haven’t had much time to think, but when I go to bed, I can always get a few minutes & wonder what you are doing & think of some of the happy little times we used to have together. Still there’s a good time coming & we will just need to wait & then, well we’ve said enough about that “then”. Mother was asking very kindly for you all, & was asking what had come over your letters. Remember me very kindly to all, darling & with best love & wishes. Always your own loving,

Arthur

Catterick

April 1st 1917

Dearest Margaret,

I had a letter from mother yesterday, and in it she said “It never rains but it pours”. Now what do you think she meant, well because I got three letters from you in two days, and three such dear letters as I have received from you, oh! You are a dear. The first is dated 25th Feb & it explains missing the previous mail, the next is one of these lovely little extra dated 27th Feb & the third 9th March, my wasn’t that a haul, I will start & answer them in succession & if I have any paper left I will tell you any news going.

So you too dearie can find a great deal of consolation in looking over the little photos taken in “the good old days”. They really are beautiful to look at & they bring back such happy memories too. Now Margaret, that little extra was just a treat & I thank you very much for all the nice things you say in it. I am so pleased that my first letter pleased you, you must have been happy surely when your mother thought you a wee bit “off” as you say, oh! Yes, poor Arthur, he’ll have a terrible time, its very good of John sympathizing for me & please just thank him for it, however darling, I’m not scared, not in the least. I just wish that terrible “poor” time would hurry up & come.

Your are right dear, it was strange that I should leave Scotland first, but it did make things so much easier for us both, I should have hated seeing you off from the docks, of course I was a real soft hearted boy then, although I have still a weakness that way, I really think myself absolutely hard hearted at times, but when you think of the things I have seen & worked with, its bound to harden on up. What worries me most is about poor Andrew, but I think the cause of that is that I haven’t even yet realized that he has gone, in won’t till I go home that I realize things fully.

So you thought is queer talking about snow, well if you only saw this place today dear, this is 1st of April. It has snowed continuously for the last fourteen hours & is now lying well over a foot deep. It’s getting the limit here, we have had snow almost continuously for the last three & a half months & in Glasgow there is hardly any snow at all, funny isn’t it.

Yes I remember fine dearie, the rushes I used to have for the 8:33, but if I were to go back to civilian life tomorrow, in a week I would have the same old runs, & perhaps worse. And you think I have a weakness for the ladies, well isn’t that awful. What ever makes you think that, dearie. However I’ll own up, I am never happier, than when I am beside some very nice young ladies, especially if she is good looking & preferably one who is Scotch & spent a little time over the pond. Still there’s absolutely nothing doing here, it’s a five mile walk even to see one. Then your beautiful letter of 9th, it is a treat, & no mistake. Well I am very pleased you got two letters from me together dearie & if you are as happy with them as I have been with your three this week, you’re alright. Whole eighteen pages, I think that is about a record, isn’t it? Dear.

Yes thank you Margaret, my cold is quite gone, it did not last very long, and I think it was the excessive cold that was the cause of it. You ask how the years go this birthday, well its no less than 24 dear, getting on, eh! I remember the day I was 21, I thought myself a man, nothing like it, but I must say I feel anything but 24, its only when one goes home & sees what were school kiddies before the war, are now quite young ladies & some of them, regular flappers too, & all getting their boys etc, well I hope they will have as good a time as we had & they will do jolly well, what do you say sweetheart. I don’t think many could beat our little time. And you don’t want me to go up in an aeroplane, eh! Don’t worry dear, there’s little hope of getting the chance.

Then the next part of your letter darling, is more what I like to read, than answer, I know what you mean fine, by “hundreds of things that you can’t put on paper” & I think I can safely say the same. These are things that will need to wait, till that happy time, when you & I are together again. They are too precious to put on paper, and as I once heard a minister tell a congregation of soldiers in France, “too holy for our closet friends to hear, yea, the very angles”. He was talking to these men, on the evils of being away from home & kindred & tried to show that the union between man & wife was Gods doing, to have absolute passion one for the other. I think I once told you about that lecture before darling, it was when I was in Rouen, and I think it was one of the best lectures I have heard for a long while, and certainly the first of its kind. It has help & kept me in the right many a time.

It’s so nice that things have been made so happy & easier for you dearest, and although I never for a moment had any fear for you, I prayed that you would be kept from all harm when you left home. Oh yes, you have been brave in remaining so true to me dear, even with all the care taken of you, you are bound to have your longings, which is only natural, and it says all in the world for you for continuing the same. Now we don’t need to think for a moment about the mutual agreement made before we parted, and when I go home I will always be the same, you have become too much “part” of me for anything to happen now, & even if for honors sake alone, I couldn’t do it. Its quite Ok about this Mr. Gray, if I said anything about him, it was only fun, you know by now dearie, I take turns of teasing, can’t help it, & its good for the complexion too.

Now of all the funny coincidences, I think this one takes the bun. Do you remember in one of my letters about five or six weeks ago? I told you I was posting you a little broach, but owing to the Post Office refusing it, I had to get it changed to a little box. Well the broach was a little circle of pearls with an opal in the middle, & in your letter you remark that you prefer these stones to others, was that a coincidence or what eh! No Margaret Mr. & Mrs. Wilson have not given up their Largs establishment, it was only for a bit change, you know Mr. W is getting on in years & the winter traveling was just a little too much for him. They went back down to Eldershire yesterday, to prepare for Easter.

Now I just think that was more than good of your mother about that pretty library scarf, sweetheart, I am so glad you told me about it & I will be sure not to breathe a word to a soul, but its makes me so happy, these little things, between you & me. Oh! You little dear. Yes Margaret I visited A L & Co when home, did I forget to tell you, & got a very good reception too. They were all very nice to me & Mr. Hepburn dotted me with L15 to keep me cheery during my sick furlough. It was jolly good of him, & of course it went where the last lot went, & is very safe & ready for use when required. Mrs. Jack (Miss M) is still with them, but was thinking of leaving, it’s a wonder to me she stuck it so long, I thought it rather a funny arrangement, still, still they know their own business & position. David (the commissionaire) is still in Germany & alive altho’ not having too pleasant a time.

Well that’s some answer to your dear letters, I am getting worse than ever. Things here are still going along fine & I am quite happy & content under the present circumstances. I am at a special course on gunnery etc just now, with the hopes of qualifying as a gunnery instructor. It finishes at the end of this week, then the examines & I won’t be at all sorry when they are over. I have had a terrible lot of stewing to do & writing notes at night. I am exempt from all parades, guards etc till it is over, to give me a chance at night, but it’s no easy job. Starting at 6 AM & it is usually ten or eleven before I finish at night. Still I like it very well & it’s most interesting & I only hope I come through alright. But when one is examined by a Brigadier General, it’s apt to knock one of the balance a bit. I hope to tell you more about it next week. All at home are well & things going fine & I hope you are all well too. I must stop now darling its time for lights out. With all my love, ever your own

Arthur

Jimmy,

Very glad to see your additional postings in the last fews days. They are marvellous reading. Your last posting where Arthur mentions 'Eldershire' I think that is probably meant to be Ayrshire (a county in Scotland) in which the sea side town of Largs is situated. It was then, and still is, a popular place for Glasgow folk to go to at holiday weekends and the like, being about an hour's drive away.

Anyway, keep up the good work. It must be difficult transcribing the letters after all this time.

Cheers

Roger

Roger

Its very nice to see that you're keeping up with the dialogue of the letters, and seeing that you brought up "Eldershire", I went back and noticed that I had misspelled the word, it actually says "Elderslie", but I am not sure if he meant this or not? I did read that this may be the birthplace of William Wallace, that's interesting to me.

The fact is the letters are written so well that transcribing them isn't a problem; Arthur was a prolific writer, as in the sense of the abundance of letters he had written to Margaret. As it may not be a rare occurrence, Arthur does provide a lot of detail to Margaret as to what he does at times, but also due to the fact of censorship, Arthur is careful not to put much detail (horrors) of his life while at war unfortunately, but I can understand this fact.

Jimmy

Roger

Its very nice to see that you're keeping up with the dialogue of the letters, and seeing that you brought up "Eldershire", I went back and noticed that I had misspelled the word, it actually says "Elderslie", but I am not sure if he meant this or not? I did read that this may be the birthplace of William Wallace, that's interesting to me.

Elderslie is in Renfrewshire, just up the road from me. About ten miles from Glasgow, and William Wallace's birthplace. It's a tiny little place but has a monument to Wallace.

Marina

Catterick

April 8th 1917

My Dear Margaret,

I was just beginning to think that I was going to have no letter from you to answer this week, but sure enough darling it arrived this afternoon. It is dated 15th March and is just a lovely letter dear & whole fourteen pages too. I am glad you got one to answer OK, its fine just when you are giving up hope of having one to answer & it turns up at the last minute. It was funny Margaret, how I should be so long without a letter from you, but my letter of last week would tell you how I got the three all in one, so it’s OK, and the subs got none of them after all.

That is very good of you darling, not objecting to letters written in pencil, and you are getting another this week, for I was clever enough to break my pen last week, but I must try & get into town & have it repaired. Yes, sweetheart, I was very disappointed about not being allowed to send you that broach, but it can’t be helped, war’s war you know, and I hope you have got the little box by now, it will just need to do meantime & you can mate it with the Rouen one. I am so pleased darling that you looked at it in the same light, as I did. And I didn’t even offer you “Happy returns” for your birthday, well dearest it was entirely an overlook on my part, for I remembered alright, and I put it in, or intended so, a letter so as to just reach you at the proper time, unless it is one of the letters that has gone astray. You must have been disappointed & it does seem a wee bit neglectful, but I hope you understand darling, I’m awfully sorry.

So baby can walk now, well I expect you will all be mightily proud of him eh! and he will be just as proud too. I remember when my little sister Anna was just that length, we used to have such sport with her, but the poor wee soul died with rheumatic fever a month later. I am wondering if I ever told you about her dear, I don’t think so, that would be nearly ten years ago if not more. So you had another fine day at the beach, that must be some car that Mr. Hurk has, I guess it doesn’t half feel fine to be driving down there in beautiful sunshine, my word but I would like to be my own boss again & the good weather coming in and have a right high old time again. Oh, wouldn’t it be grand.

Well it does seem strange for you to talk of the heat & sunshine dear, this is the eighth of April & the snow is lying all over the place, I never saw the like of it. On Wednesday last, it snowed continuously for 14 hours & when it went off, it was lying about a foot deep & some of the drifts were easily eight feet deep, can you imagine it, Margaret, I don’t think so, after being away from it so long.

Then I never told you what I thought of the photo of “Gleniffer”, well darling, I think I must be getting absent minded, in my old age. I have got it in my pocket now, with all the other little photos you sent me. I showed it to mother too when I was home, & she too thought it just lovely. It is indeed a very pretty house dear & your room seems to be in a fine airy part too, and plenty of windows too.

Glad to hear you are doing the “Red Cross” work Margaret, but I suppose by now you will be like others, busy helping with the USA work. It has not come as a great surprise that the States have entered the war & I hope it helps to finish the thing all the sooner. How will it affect John & Joe, I hope they won’t have to tackle it too. It looks as if some of the South American states will follow, before long, too.

My Cousin Frank, is still alive & well, thanks dearie. He is still in France with his original Battalion, still serving with them in the Firing line; his brother Jim is away out last week, he has just turned 19. Well dearie, I think I told you once before that I was attending a special course on gunnery with the view of being passed as an instructor. Well its over at last & I’m not one bit sorry for it was getting just too much of a strain; the practical work 5:30 AM to 4:30 PM & then stewing & writing notes till 10 PM for a whole month. Anyway our examines came off last Thursday, Friday & Saturday & it’s a thing of the past now. The results of Thursday are posted, and what do you think your wee boy got, well 100%, I came out first, the second has 98% & third 89%. Not bad eh! It makes up for the hard work anyway, & is quite satisfactory. I hope to let you know about the other two days results next week.

We are rather busy just now cleaning things up for an inspection on the 12th next Thursday by General French, I will be able to tell you about it next well. Well dearest I think this is about all my news just now. I hope you are feeling well & as cheery as ever. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

“You are my one rose, my own rose, that’s you”

Catterick

April 15th 1917

My Dearest Margaret,

It is Sunday once more & time for my weekly epistle, how the time flies, it seems only yesterday since I wrote my last letter to you, still they say it’s a good sign when the time passes quickly. Well dear, I got your welcome letter of 22nd March yesterday, they always seem to arrive just in nice time, & I can usually have them the day before I want to write.

So glad you had a nice time with Mr. Gray, although it was so short; it must be fine for you away out there, meeting some of your own country folk, & even if they have not been home lately, you can talk over old “Blighty” together. It will be something like me meeting some of the Mount lot in my travels.

So you didn’t have a letter from me that week, that is the week I was over at France and the next week I was isolated, so I am afraid your next letter, you will be wondering what has come over me, well darling, my next one explained it all and you will likely have got it by now & so relieved your mind once more.

I am so glad the little trinket box arrived alright and that you liked it, it wasn’t much dearie, but you know it was meant to convey. Isn’t it fine we understand each other so, dearie, if we could only get a chance of a little talk, to say these hundred and one things, that can’t be written on paper. It’s a good job I didn’t send the broach & risk it, seeing the censor examined it, he would likely have collared it, and then, well there’s no use blethering about what didn’t happen, I am glad he packed it up again & that it was none the worse.

It must be a bit alright down in Miami, fancy bathing every day at this time of year, it makes me feel quite comfortable even just reading it. Would you believe it dear, we are in the middle of April just now, and there has been snow every day this week, on Wednesday it was lying about eight inches deep, I don’t know when I saw such weather for the time of year. The papers have all got articles in about it, & trying to tell when the same was last experienced but none of them seem to be able to trace back correctly, for no two are alike.

You seem to be doing plenty of singing just now Margaret; you will be quite in your glory with them all. I hope you get on alright at the Snyder Memorial Church concert. Don’t you let the professionals worry you dear, I think you can hold your own with them now; perhaps they are worrying more about themselves because you are going. You know dearie you never know these things. Anyway, I hope you get on alright and are in your best form.

I bet you had good fun with these bantams of Jims; he seems to be a great boy for pets. I hope his endeavors at breeding them are successful. I think the bantams are such neat little animals, & such pretty colors too. And so you have got buds on your roses already, well it does sound so strange. I wish you would send some of your good weather over here for a little, it will seem odd; when we get some proper sunshine, I expect it will be in the extreme when we do get it, after this long serve spell. Yes darling I remember when I used to “rob” the garden in order to give you a rose, but I think that was quite a permissible robbery. I only wish I could just do the same now. I wonder if you ever thought any of things I thought when I gave you a rose, eh! Dearie, I think I sometimes thought myself a bit romantic; still it always made the giving more pleasing. “You are my one rose, my own rose, that’s you”.

You ask what I think of the war now Margaret, well, as you know America is in it now, and a number of the South America provinces too. The British are advancing for all they are worth just now, the cavalry are in action once more & that is a good sign, the trench warfare is starting to ebb, and it’s high time too. In the last five days, we have captured over thirteen thousand prisoners, and nearly two hundred guns, including four big, eight inch ones, and if that’s not a good sign, I don’t know, what is. Old Fritz is getting a lot more than he likes this weather. I think another month or so will show some bigger changes yet. Then in Mesopotamia we have joined up with the Russians, so cutting off the Turks completely, and in Palestine we are making very good head way. The French too are doing very well, and from what the papers say it looks as if they will be making another big push in the Champagne district shortly. In all the news just now are great.

Now isn’t that quite a unique affair, Baby Guy having a party to celebrate his first birthday. I hope he will have a very good time & that he appreciates it, and more. Jim & Teen will be proud of him. Well Margaret dear, in last week’s letter, I told you about the examines to come off last week. It’s all over now, and I’m not at all sorry, I am now a fully qualified instructor of gunnery. We got the results last Wednesday, and what do you think I did, just came out first, with an average of 98%. We had six subjects to get up and I got first in five & second in the six, not bad eh! They included Riding & jumping, gunnery practical and theory, Laying (aiming a gun), Signaling, Map reading & field sketching, and Directors Plotters and compasses. I came out first in the lot bar the signaling in which I got second. Funny to say that I am more perfect in it than any other subject. I think I must have been just too cocksure of myself when the exam came off.

These last three instruments are used in Artillery work, but are only used by the observing officers, and are really not part of the work of NCOs, but as you will likely know, Margaret, one has got to know a lot more than necessary, when it comes to instructing others, and some of the recruits coming up now, are real scholars & are apt to ask some awkward questions, and one has to be ready to receive such. I laughed at one the other day. One of the instructors was showing a batch the “ins & outs” of a gun & one of the recruits was very awkward & clumsy & when told to wake up and use some common sense, he replied that he was a baker to trade and not an engineer. All the little wheels & instruments fairly puzzle them to start with. I have not yet got a regular class yet, as there is no vacancy meantime and I am hoping I am not sent away in a draft before getting an appointment, as there is a better chance of staying at home once being appointed an instructor.

There is not very much news from home just now. Daisy Gillespie is away to France as a nurse and Elphie is back in the trenches once more. It’s a good lot out of one family at once, and rather hard lines on Elphie & his young wife, being so shortly married. Guy Black has been posted missing, that’s another of the old crowd away perhaps.

In mothers last letter she was saying that they had got official notice from the war office that poor Andrew has been presumed “killed in action”. I feel very sorry for mother, but really Darling, I’m not surprised, after what I saw of that battle I expected not other result; still I can even yet realize that he is gone. It won’t be till I go home for good, that I will miss him really. Well I think this is all my news just now sweetheart. I hope you are well and happy, my own little dear. Remember me very kindly to all. With best love & wishes, ever your own loving,

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...

Catterick

April 23rd 1917

My Dearest Margaret,

I got your dear welcome letter of 29th March today for which many thanks. Again it arrived just in nice time for answering. Well dearie you have still not a letter from me to answer, but I do hope you will have one by next mail, and fully expect that your next letter will be a nice long cheery one. I now fine how you will be feeling a wee bit anxious, it was most unfortunate sweetheart, that you should have to do so long without one although an unfortunate mistake, but it was better to have the preventative than the cure; don’t you think so, dearie?

I am glad you had one from Winnie, it would help to make up a little for your disappointment, still I know what it is, and I do hope your next letter will be in answer to one of mine. Oh! Yes dear, its an awful thing to be in love, but still I must confess from my point of view, I don’t think you can beat it, what do you think? Eh!

Joe & you seem to have excelled yourselves at that concert, I am afraid when the time comes for me to hear my “little Margaret” singing I will be quite dumbfounded I do hope I don’t feel shy. I am sure it must be all very exciting for this weather, all these preparations for war & by now war has been declared. I wonder how it will affect things, the entrance of America into the war. If it only helps in hastening the end, it will do one splendid turn anyway, we are all getting quite tired of this state of affairs, and oh! Won’t it be a grand day when hostilities are ceased? I’ll have some blow out that day, you bet. I hope the “Boche” doesn’t manage to stir up any ill feeling among the natives beside you Margaret; it would be awful if anything like that were to happen.

We here, are all doing the same as you, cultivating vegetables instead of flowers this year, all odd bits of ground are made out in allotments and given out to house holders to cultivates their own vegetables. A large part of the Queens Park opposite the Cricket ground that used to be used for grazing sheep is now divided up and, I suppose, every Saturday and Sunday, there is a regular procession of gentlemen with spades etc, going to dig their little portion. It’s ‘back to the land’ nowadays and no mistake, and is quite permissible on a Sunday. Father has got all the back garden vegetables this year in place of the usual show of flowers. Mother was telling me in her last letter that the little bit of grass in front is one cluster of crocuses just now; she says everybody stops to have a look at it, in passing. Well I think that’s your letter about answered dearie, with a bit added.

Since my last letter I have had rather a nice little trip, I had another draft to conduct, I did not require to cross the channel this time, & so had all the longer time to my self in London, on my way back. I left here on Monday afternoon at three PM, arrived in York at six, we had four hours to wait there, so I had a nice little stroll round, and by the way, a right good “tightener”. York is a strangely built town; there is not what one could call a decent main street in the place. The cathedral is the best part of the town, and really is a very fine building “York Minster” it is called. There is also the old wall round the old part of the town. After tea, I went to one of the Picture Houses, and saw a really good show. The principal picture was partly comedy & partly drama. The just of it was a young couple at home & she left with her family for New York & prospered very well, correspondence ceased somehow between the two, and a few year after, he went to the States on his own & met a fair damsel there, & was very nearly engaged in the matrimonial part, when he spotted his old fiancé; of course things altered, his Yankee lady turned out a fraud & the original two lived happy ever after. It seemed so funny seeing a picture like that dearie, so like our circumstance &, I am glad to say, so different too. How I thought of my own little girl that night in the train, I can’t sleep in the train much dear, & you can imagine my thoughts, very very pleasant, altho’ a wee bit sad. I can’t even yet understand why things should be as they are. Oh! My darling, when is our “Perfect Day” to come, do you know that song.

We arrived at Folkestone next morning & after a spell for breakfast, got the boys on board. I gained from my last trip & experience, & went about things in a different manner, getting my papers signed straight away, and so saved my journeying over. I got up to London in fine time for lunch, which I had in town. I rang up my cousin Nan & met her there & together we had a very pleasant lunch. After seeing her back to her work, I went out to my Aunt’s in Essex, the one who was in Glasgow in 1914. I remained there over night, and had a very nice time, it was nearly tea time when I arrived & my Uncle arrived shortly after. He was on his travels Bedford way, & did not intend coming home that night, only he missed a connection & thought he would just go home & spend the night there. Wasn’t it lucky, we would both have been disappointed. I had a real hot bath too, you will think it funny me telling you the like of that dearie, but if you could understand what a luxury that is to us nowadays, it’s a thorough treat.

I didn’t get up next morning till half past nine, with breakfast in bed, now how does that sound, a bit alright eh! You can bet I enjoyed it immensely. I waited till after dinner and then went out to my other Aunts in Crouchend, and arrived in nice time for tea. None of the girls were in, but it wasn’t long before they started to come, the first was Lila, about Winnie’s age, then Anna about seven, & the other two Hilda & Nan were practically on their heels. After the feed the three of us went into the city, we booked seats the previous day at the “Gaiety”. Theodore & Co. was the show, a musical comedy & it was as good a show as I have seen, the staging & dresses etc in London are marvelous, no other place has a look in.

We got home about 1 AM & after supper & the usual blethering, got to bed about three o’clock, a difference from here, going any time between eight & ten o’clock. I left the morning with the ten o’clock train, after a most enjoyable time. Strange it was a Glasgow train, but poor me, had to come out half way. Hard lines eh! Well Margaret dear, I think I have blethered enough this time, I hope you won’t tire of all this detail, but you know how it feels to see ones own again.

I hope you are all keeping well & that the entry of USA won’t affect business very much. Remember me very kindly to all & with best love & good wishes, ever your own loving,

Arthur

Margaret playing her piano

post-3199-1143306982.jpg

Jimmy & Jonathon,

Many thanks Jimmy for keeping posting the letters. They are wonderfully evocative of the period, and there is a lot of useful, interesting information about some of the families back in Mount Florida at that time.

A piece of news for you both and a particular thank you to Jonathon, regarding your visit last year to Helles. Through another member of the church, I only just discovered that Laurence Dalglish's niece - Vera Dalglish - still lives in another part of Glasgow. I copied the photo you took of his memorial at Pink Farm, and I understand that she was delighted to recieve this. She is going to see if she has any further information or documents lying around.

Also through this other member of the church (John Paris), he passed on to me a copy of the 1914 Annual Report which includes accounts but also small reports on different aspects of church life for 1913. Athur's father is of course mentioned as Treasurer, but also Guy Graydon as Secretary to the Minister's Bible Class, Secretary & Treasurer for the Choir, and his sister Maragret as Secretary for the Girls Auxilliary. There is also a complete list of members of the church with their addresses for 1913 - the total numbers being 631.

I am currently trying to read through the Kirk Session Minute Book for the period 1912 - 1924, and transcribing it too. As and when I come accross anything relating to the topic I will post it.

Once again, many thanks, Jimmy.

Roger,

For my own small part in having taken the photo I am happy to have made some contribution.

The 1914 Annual Report sounds like an excellent find.

Jon

Roger,

Thanks for the kind words, and for your time in researching. I've been going through & re-editing a lot of my previous post's, as some pictures were lost. I'm trying to add a picture to every post, hopefully they will give some sort of an impression overall. I don't have picture's of all, so in place of an actually photo, I'll have something else from that person instead.

Jimmy

Catterick

April 29th 1917

My Dearest Margaret,

I got your welcome letter yesterday, dear, but am so sorry that again you have had no word from me. There’s one consolation anyway darling, that you will have had a few letters by now. I fully expected that your letter this week would have acknowledged my first one after the blank space, but it was not to be, however I do hope your next one, sweetheart, will be it’s nice cheery self again. I know how fine how you will be feeling Margaret, but its fine when the first one does arrive & we know that nothing serious has been wrong after all.

Yes, dearie, the papers here have been nothing lately, but USA from top to bottom. They are saying all the good things about President Wilson and his colleagues, and what the States are going to do and all the rest, it’s the sensation just now and I just hope it helps to bring a quicker peace. It will be a great pity if John has to go, still beloved, I am sure you will do your best to make it a wee bit easier for him to go. I sincerely hope he won’t however, and if he does, that he may be kept safe & spared to go back to you all after it’s all over. And you, my own dear, I know how hard it will be for you, but try & console yourself, darling, things may not be so bad as it looks & seems just now.

I hope the authorities manage to put down these petty disturbances that are likely to occur in Jax & that there is as little trouble & strife as possible in doing so. I am so pleased the “Sea Fairies” was such a success; it would repay you well for all the trouble practicing etc. I would have liked fine to have seen it. I hope the second “giving” was every bit as successful. Fancy little Gavin a year old already, how the time passes, he must be an awfully interesting little chap, & I bet he tickles you all with his antics etc. How is Jeen keeping, I hope she is well & you can give her my kindest regards.

Chicken seem to fairly thrive with you Margaret, 12 out of 13 is some going. I hope the next lot will be as successful. I can see you having chicken broth etc. & roasted chicken to your dinner, it fairly makes my teeth water. That seems quite a nice song, your new one; have you heard one called “absent”. It’s very short and is really meant as an encore; still it is lovely & sweet. It is usually sung in co-ordinance with “A Perfect Day”, have you heard it dear, it’s a beautiful song too.

You will be alright when Jim is ready to play your accompaniments dear; it will put you in form for me, oh! What a hope dearie, I don’t think I will ever be able to play again, I tried a wee bit y’day, but it was absolutely no use. I am done as far as that’s concerned, without music at least. Maybe with a lot of practice I might be able to pick up a wee bit. Well dearie, I think that’s about all your letter answered now, and I suppose next, should be my own news, but that’s rather a big job, for there’s nothing to write about, happens here, it’s so sort of dead & alive and nothing occurs out of the usual from Sunday to Saturday. Last week I told you about my trip to London, and since then nothing unusual has occurred at all.

Things at home seem to be fairly quiet too. I had a very nice letter of sympathy from Mary last week; she does write a very nice letter, and no show or unusual affection at all, I think she’s about the best of the old crowd, as far as remaining the same. I wonder if I ever told you, the last time I was home, I almost felt shy among them all, they almost seemed different, I don’t know why; and as you know & have said before now, that’s a bit unusual for me. Still it’s a fact and I can’t account for it all. I wonder if I will be shy with you dear? Perhaps not.

Mary was telling me that Mr. Ogg spoke very nicely about Andrew, I would have liked to have heard it, it all seems to strange to me darling, I can’t understand it, simply can’t. However I suppose it will dawn on me some day what has actually happened when I get back to dear old Mount. Mother told me in her last letter that Mr. Wilson had asked Mr. Ogg for a copy of what he said & mother thinks he is going to have a few copies typed and if so I will send you one, if you will keep it to yourself. Father is getting a photo redone up & enlarged & if it is good at all I will send you a copy.

I hope to get home on Friday for a week & if it comes off my next letter will be written from 28. I sincerely hope it is, but one is never sure till actually home. If it comes off it will be for six days which includes the traveling, so isn’t so very long when you come to think of it. There’s still another two weddings coming off, the first, I understand is Victor Vall and Lizzie Hunter, high time, isn’t it, still I think seeing they have left it off so long, they might have left off till after the war. I seem to be prejudiced against these things just now, fellows having a good time at home and making a little mint, & generally having a top hole time, while others, well enuff said. It’s not right for me always getting on this subject, but can you blame one darling. The other is some Winnie Mackie, I don’t know her, but perhaps you will, Margaret.

Well dearest, I think this is about all my news just now, I hope you are now your old self, my own love, cheer up, & perhaps it won’t be long till we are all “happy” once more. I hope you are all keeping well and remember me very kindly to your mother, with all my love, ever your own.

Arthur

I'm very pleased to post the following pictures sent to me by Roger Gann. I'll post them here at the end, for those that might be interested in seeing them, and later I'll re-edit them to a more appropriate place.

Laurence Dalglish, taken 23rd November 1914; Died 3rd July 1915, Dardanelles.

post-3199-1144118869.jpg