Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gone, but not forgotton Guy Graydon 1894-1915 kia Gallipoli

jimmy

Hi to all,

On the 90th Anniversary of his death, I post the following.

Guy Graydon was killed while serving at the Dardanelle's (August 8, 1915, age 21) he's listed on the Helles Memorial. The Helles Memorial stands on the tip of the Gallipoli Peninsula. It takes the form of an obelisk over 30 meters high that can be seen by ships passing through the Dardanelle's. It holds the name's of 21,000.

A copy of the letter notifying his parents of his untimely death. I'm sure that such a letter, that had been delivered to so many a parents, must have been an article of mail all parents feared ever having to receive, one can only imagine the thought process a parent must of had when seeing such a letter.

I include the eulogy spoken on behalf of Guy Graydon, by Rev Ogg

My dear friends, of Guy Graydon what shall I say? He was known to all of us; as a boy in our Sunday School, as a great helper in the Bible Class of which he was secretary, while he was also in the choir. He was cheerful, companionable and beloved by all who knew him.

There is a certain pathos in his death which does not belong to any of the other deaths we have recorded. His father and mother have gone to a far-off land where they have been anxiously waiting for the completion of this terrible war and longing for the time when their family circle would be complete.

To think of Guy Graydon, so lovable and so bright, being taken from our midst is indeed hard, but we will not think of him lost or prematurely taken from us, for let us remember that God has another place for young lives than this world.

I am sure I may write Guy Graydon's father and mother in the far-off land and tell them how very much we feel for them in their great loss, and how earnestly we hope that God will lead them to see that their boy is not lost but in God's presence where his life of unselfishness and sacrifice is being fulfilled, and we offer to all his friends- and especially her whose life was linked so tenderly with his - our great sympathy, and pray that God will comfort them and bless them and give them the consolation which we would fain give but cannot.

A letter written to Guy's sister from the front,

France

9-20-1915

My Dearest Margaret,

I received your dear, but also sad letter yesterday, with the news of Guys death. Darling I am so pleased you are taking it so bravely, and oh! keep it up for your dear mothers sake. I am sure it must be a terrible shock to her. Yes dearest, you are far better out there, than if you had been at home. It would not have helped matters at all, and you are saved the task of breaking the news to the rest of your family, if you had been separated.

Mother was telling me that there was a memorial service for Guy, she said it was very impressive & Mr. Ogg was very good indeed. Mother usually keeps away from services of that kind,but she said she felt she must go, when it was for one like Guy.

Don't you worry about me, dearie, I'm alright and although I have a number of rather risky jobs to do, I always take care to do nothing foolhardy. It's not a paying job, to run unnecessary risks, and too look at the future I have to look forward to. You will think me a bit callous & selfish bring up this at this time, but Darling when I say that, I just want you to know that you are never out of my thoughts, my one hope of the future is you dear.

There is a fair amount of work going on just now, and some very heavy shelling on the part of the Germans, but on the whole it is not what one might call lively. I got my photo taken a short time ago while in a large town,in which I spent a few hours, but I am not at all pleased with it. The satchel below my right hand is my smoke helmet. It is for use when the enemy uses the awful gas, but I am pleased to say I have not had to use it, and will be quite satisfied if it has never to be used. The chap Arthur Thomson, was in the same billet as me in Bedford, and we still very chummy.

I have not been having much news from home lately. Winnie is back at school, much against her will, but she seems to be settling down alright. Mother is keeping fairly well & wishes to kindly remembered to you all & sends her most sincere sympathy to you at this time. She was going to write to your mother, but I am not sure whether she has done so yet, or not. Otherwise things at home seem to be very quiet indeed, all entertainments seem to be stopped this winter. The church organizations are starting as usual & I expect there will be a busy work party this season.

I will now close dearest & get ready for guard, a pretty monotonous job, out there, and rather cold too.

Now my darling, keep as bright as you can for your mothers sake & always remember I am continually thinking about my own dear sweetheart.

Goodbye just now darling

With all my love

Your own Arthur

Having such documents, brings complete realization to me, of a era of such fine young men, so many souls whose life's were cut oh so short, an unforgiving statement of the world that proceeded us 90 years ago.

Gone, but not forgotten. Guy Graydon 1894-1915

post-3199-1143337875.jpg

Having such documents, brings complete realization to me, of a era of such fine young men, so many souls whose life's were cut oh so short, an unforgiving statement of the world that proceeded us 90 years ago.

Gone, but not forgotten. Guy Graydon 1894-1915

And so say all of us.

Thanks for posting this beautiful tribute.

Evelyn

Thanks for the kind reply's,

Though the tribute is for a member of the family, I believe in this day and time one should share instruments, that can speak for all of the brave souls that sadly fell before their time. I am always in remembrance of all, and just by chance I can share examples of what life was once like, how genuinely nice, pleasant, decent, and brave to mention a few, the attributes of the young lads that once walked upon the ground we may walk now. Anything that I'm blessed to share, hopefully are only reflections of most all that served with dignity, and a saying I read often "were always more than willing to serve when needed".

As for family memories, unfortunately they have not been mentioned since the time that has passed since they happened. There are cases where something's are too painful to think about, let alone speak of, it's only until recently that the memories are now spoken of again. It's important that they are, as in what I have written above.

Thank you for your time,

jimmy

post-3199-1143337954.jpg

I have researched many men that died in WW1 and whilst the odd rogue appears in general summary their goodness, moral fibre and sense of community never ceases to obtain my respect or leave me with a sense of frustration that so many good men lives ended prematurely.

I hope the life of Guy Graydon's sister ran a much happier path.

I hope the life of Guy Graydon's sister ran a much happier path.

Jonathan,

"Margaret" it's difficult to say if she had a better road in life, as the War must of provided an everlasting impact to her mind and soul. Losing her brother was hard, losing many of her childhood friends, nearly the complete "Gang" of lads she grew up with, all gone. The realization of being a women and having most all your male contemporary's being lost to a senseless war, I cannot imagine how she or any women in such similar cases could have felt.

Yes, she was fortunate in the sense of being taken away from her childhood homeland, when her family migrating to America from 1909 to 1915 when she arrived. It's not known for sure what her exact feeling's might have been, for no one has been around for a long time, generation's have come and gone, nobody is left to say. I am the benefactor of these memory's, and only in time have I been able to uncover the events.

For you see, she had a love of a lifetime, a soulmate, a memory that probably haunted her the rest of her life.

"Forever yours, your own loving Arthur"

XXXXXXX's and OOOOOOO's

Jimmy

I cannot find Guy Graydon on CWGC but these is a Gavin Shearer Graydon, Royal Field Artillery - 4 Lowland Div. Date of death 9 Aug 1915, aged 21 and remembered at Helles. Is the CWGC wrong or was he just known as Guy in the family?

Did Arthur die as well? Did Margaret find another love and have a happy family life in the years that followed?

I am at Helles in a couple of weeks and intend to pay my respects.

Jonathan

Yes, the name on the CWGC is correct, and Guy was his nickname, I've never seen it as Gavin, other than on his CWGC page. It's a nice gesture for you to look him up, and if you run across his name, and speak it aloud, I'm sure you will be the first for such an occurrence.

Thank you

jimmy

As for Arthur and Margaret, it's hard for me to sum up their story in a line or two, and out of respect for the two (especially of Arthur) I cannot. Their story is not so simple as you might think, it would not be fair to them, for one would have to go along with them, from beginning to end, to realize the ultimate fate in the end.

Oh so sad, it will make one cry. :(

Margaret has a full life, she does meet someone and marries, but know one will ever know what could have happened if things would have turned out differently.

Jonathan

This is the last known letter written by Guy, dated July 15 1915, just weeks before his death.

My Dear Margaret,

I got your fine letter along with the invitation to Joey's wedding with the last mail. I got all the letters together and I had a big bunch 13 letters in all. I am glad the wedding passed off alright and that Joey has got his house. I suppose they will be as happy as the day is long. I got Mothers note too and you must tell her I was so glad to get it. She must not worry about me too much, for I'm alright I think. I'm glad you got word from Arthur, and I suppose he will be doing exactly the same as we are. Our guns have done splendid work here and we have made a good name for ourselves. I'm pleased to hear about Jim doing so well at school. He always was a brainy kid and I'm proud of him. Tell him I was asking for him and would be delighted to get a wee letter from him. I am terribly short of note paper, or I would write to him. Every time you write you might enclose a couple of sheets so that you will be sure of a reply. Every mail is eagerly looked for here for we all like to hear from home. Well Margaret, you mentioned something about the minstrels, you will be sorry to hear that Laurie Dalglish has been killed. I was speaking to him just before he went up to the trenches and an hour later he was dead. He was shot through the heart by a sniper and I was deeply grieved at the news. John Bushel is going to lose an arm, so Mt. Florida has been severely hit this last few days. It is bad news indeed. We are doing pretty well here, and I must say our battery has been pretty lucky. We have had a few wounded, but I think they will be all right. I was standing beside an officer when a shrapnel burst just above us and I'm sorry to say he was hit in the leg, but I got off Scot free. The Turks pretty often shell us, but they don't do much damage and they do waste a lot of ammunition. Our division the 52nd has done good work since they came here. The heat is still very bad and the flies!!! they are much more of a nuisance than the Turks. The only time we are free of them are at night and they waken you up in the morning at an unearthly hour. Some times a warship comes and gives the Turks a bit of a hit up and I'm thankful I'm not in their position. They do get an awful hot time from our artillery and when our infantry advances, they fire till the boys get to within 10 yards and then they drop the rifles and put up their hands. Their war cry is Allah-Allah and our boys say that is about all they can do is shout that. One thing we miss here is the water supply. It is pretty poor and we don't get too much, but we can put up with that. Otherwise we are fairly well off, and we get bread every day which is baked at the base, and brought up to us. We get fresh meal and have cheese and jam, so we are pretty well off to be in the firing line. You would be tickled to see our little under ground houses, and I can tell you we are pretty swig in them. They are fairly safe anyway. The sea bathing is A.I. and I don't know what we would do without it. Well Margaret this is about all I have room for, as my note paper is done, but I will write again soon. Give my love to all at Jax. Mother, Jamie and Dad and John and don't forget the newly weds, and of course your own sweet self.

Your loving brother,

Guy

Jonathan

While at the Helles, might you look up Laurie Dalglish.

Thank you

jimmy

Name: DALGLISH, LAURENCE

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1915

Service No: 1624

Additional information: Son of Robert and Annie Dalglish, of 30, McLennan St., Mount Florida, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. 139.

Cemetery: PINK FARM CEMETERY, HELLES

post-3199-1144375621.jpg

Jimmy,

Thanks for the additional info. I will find Guy Graydon's name at Helles and also look for Laurie Dalglish at Pink Farm - CWGC states it is a Special Memorial which means he is believed to be buried in the cemetery at Pink Farm rather than his known grave.

I can make a guess to the fate of Arthur and Margaret's dream.

All the best,

Jon

Jonathan

Arthur and Margaret were "courting" prior to his enlistment, but Margaret's father had already came to America 5 years earlier, and as it would only be natural, the remaining family members followed, including Margaret. Arthur and Margaret thus communicated thru the mail over a 4 year period, it's impossible to describe 4 years in a single page. Yes, Arthur is killed, but only after many events had transpired, he died a little less than 3 months before the war ended, which makes his story so sad. After all that time, how could his life be taken away? I have a letter from the Battle of the Somme, with the candle wax still upon it, as Arthur wrote it, candle and paper in one hand, and the pencil in the other, it's covered with the mud of the Somme. I have a copy (written by Arthur's father) of the letter from the Major, that explains to Arthur's father to the fact that his son had been killed, and the saddest letter of them all, the one written by Arthur's father to Margaret's father, telling him that hopefully Margaret won't take the news of Arthur's death too hard.

I post the very first letter written by Arthur to Margaret.

jimmy

S.S."Teucer"

Port of Liverpool

Sunday 14th June 1914

7:30 A.M.

My Dear Margaret.

We arrived here this morning “all well”. We left Glasgow at 1:30 P.M. on Saturday, dropped the Pilot at Greenock at 3:53 P.M., passed Ailsa Craig at 7:19 P.M., went to bed at 11:15 P.M., weather hazy, calm, cool. Up at 4:50 A.M. Sunday, passed the bar at 5:15 A.M., had coffee & hot buttered toast at 6 A.M., and dropped anchor off Liverpool at 6:53 A.M., where we are now waiting for the tide, to go into dock about 2:30 P.M. How’s that for a log?

We had a lovely sail round, the wind was with us and it was fine just “sprawling” all over the deck. The Officers are all very decent especially the Chief Engineer a Scotchman, the only one. He is always pointing things out to me, and giving me various “tips”, such as how to sleep, I mean the way to go to bed, you know what I mean and a host of other things, all of which I appreciate very much. Liverpool seems not a bad place from what I have seen of it, although one can’t judge very much from the ship here. Liverpool is very low lying. I am going to stay here tonight & go down to New Brighton tomorrow morning & look for a barn to sleep in?

Well I will need to stop now as the breakfast bell is going & you know well I could not miss that. I will let you know as soon as I fix digs.

Arthur J Sloan

P.S. Mind & behave. xxx

P.S. I am quite sober.

post-3199-1143337809.jpg

It wasnt what I expected - I had assumed Arthur had come back forever changed by his experiences - a different man, possibly a broken man but wracked by guilt for having survived.

I looked on CWGC. Is this Arthur?

Name: SLOAN, ARTHUR JAMES

Initials: A J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 315th Bde.

Date of Death: 30/08/1918

Additional information: Son of Arthur F. and Marion G. Sloan, of 28, Second Avenue, Cathcart, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 7.

Cemetery: BUCQUOY ROAD CEMETERY, FICHEUX

Have any photos of Guy, Margaret or Arthur survived in your possession?

I am really gutted to learn that Arthur did not survive the war - to fall so close to the end - not an uncommon fate, unfortunately.

But the human spirit will not be extinguished and life went on.

Thanks for their story.

We will remember them.

Jonathan

Yes, the same Arthur, he trained for nearly a year (1914-1915), going to the Front in May of 1915, stayed till he fell ill from trench fever in December of 1916. Went home in the beginning of 1917, and went to Cadet school and in early 1918 went back to the Front as a 2nd Lieutenant.

As a side note, Arthur had a twin brother (Andrew H), who unfortunately saw his first action at the Somme, and was killed on the 1st day of the Battle of the Somme (July 1st) 16th Highland Light Infantry.

A picture of Arthur

post-3199-1143253744.jpg

What an extraordinary (but pretty commonplace) family story from the Great War.

I am sure Margaret thought of those young men regularly until the end of of her life - which I hope was a happy and fulfilling one.

Letter from Arthur's father

9-5-1918

Dear Mr. Graydon,

As I have sad news to send I thought I would write you instead of to Margaret. This morning I received the sad word that Arthur had been killed in Action. I send you a copy of the letter I received from his Major, I thought Margaret would like to see it. We value it all the more as his Major was an old soldier, some twenty years or so in the Army. Mrs. Sloan is bearing up well, but it is a terrible blow. We cannot realize that both our dear boys are now gone & all the hopes we had in them are perished. We have however the consolation that they have fallen in a great and noble cause, and that they were only too eager to place their services, & lives if need be, at their Country's disposal. I trust Margaret will not grieve overmuch, she has our sincere sympathy. I hope you are having good news from your son who is away & that all the other members of your family are well.

With kindest regards from Mrs. Sloan, Winnie & myself

Yours sincerely

Arthur F Sloan

Copy of the letter from Arthur's Major

8-31-1918

Mr. A J Sloan

Dear Sir,

It is with very deep regret that I have to inform you of the death of your son who was serving in my Battery. He was killed by a piece of shell whilst leading his Battery into Action on the 30th of August. I cannot express the sympathy we feel for you, but it may ease you a little to know that your Dear Boy was loved by all. His men thought the world of him & so did I. He was my pal and I feel his loss greatly. I always found him so brave, willing and everything that an Officer should be in dealing with & leading men. Your loss, my dear sir, is my loss also. I had his remains moved to a back area & buried with Military Honors & perhaps later on I will be able to let you know the exact spot of his grave. At present I cannot inform you. I shall be only too glad to give you any further particulars you may require. As we are on the move a great deal these days I regret that I cannot give you a fuller report at present. Hoping, dear sir, that you will all have the strength to bear the blow of the loss of your Dear Boy. Believe me to be

Yours Sincerely

JJ Bell, Major

The last word by Arthur's mother

3-30-1919

My Dear Margaret

This is the precious little thing at last, we don't need anything to keep us in memory of our loved one, but they are so nice to have. I think he would like you to have them dear. This time last year the dear one was just putting in the time until he sailed, our poor boy, 7 months today since he was killed, Oh it's cruel. 3 years on Friday last since poor Andrew sailed. As you say dear, the world seems to go on the same, but Ah not for us. I hope you are feeling a little better dear, you did look thin in your photo. I do hope the dear little thing arrive safe to you. Love to your Mother and your dear dear self.

Yours lovingly,

Marion Sloan

Jimmy,

Isnt it strange how the fate of a group of people, most of whom died long ago and whom I had not heard of until a few days ago, I can still find upsetting.

I dont suppose there was much to comfort Arthur and Marion - although there is hope in the introduction of Winnie (a sister to the twins?) but please tell us Margaret married a good man, had a family and found happiness.

Jon

Jonathan, Marina, ianw

When I read thru the letters, I became extremely attached to Arthur, his personality was unlike any I've really have been around. I guess the fact that it was in an era when a hand shake was a contract, when common men & women had morals, it was a time that I personally have a feel for, I'd could have very easily have had lived at that time (without wars of course). But as I came across the last few letters that I have posted, I was upset, and nearly as mad, as to the fact that "Wars" serve one purpose, to extinguish good lives, and for what reason, the greed of a person/persons who seeming are able to caused such destruction. Where as the end result, Mother's and Father's become childless, and are left to bare the burden of "what could have been". Most all parents envision a better life for their children, many hopes, and dreams.

I feel humbled to write anything at all, I am not comfortable in writing and posting. To share a story such as above is somewhat difficult for me, volumes can be filled with the names and story's of such men, so to add another seems irrelevant.

History is important, a lot of people think that history isn't particularly needed to be, let's say a doctor, the lawyer, the police officer, or the guy fixing your plumbing, but in reality history is something that we all need and that is very important. Bad things have happened in the past, and similar occurrence's should be avoided, to ensure and help future endeavors. But what about now, why is history important right now? History is about remembering and honoring the past, and with that thought I can't help but to share.

Thanks for your time

jimmy

Picture of Margaret

post-3199-1143266079.jpg

Jonathan, Marina, ianw

When I read thru the letters, I became extremely attached to Arthur, his personality was unlike any I've really have been around.

I know exactly what you mean. On this Forum, I have faithfully followed the diary entries of Lt. John Pitt of the AIF, and the letters of Robert Vernede, shared with us by two more Pals who feel lke you. I certainly felt I got to know the men and they were both remarkable. If you have anyhting else about Arthur Margaret and the family, please post!

Marina

Tomorrow will be the anniversary (August 30th) of Arthur's untimely death. I post the following letter, it was written the day before.

BEF

8-29-18

My Own Dear Margaret,

I am afraid you will be wondering what has come over me darling, but it's quite ok. I am AI & feeling in the very best of health. As you will see from the papers, we have taken the offensive & are getting on wonderfully well, altho' we are kept fearfully busy & I have had no time for letters at all. This is just a spare half hour & I am writing in an old Boche dug out or what's left of it. I have had three such dear loving letters from you darling & oh! how they have cheered me on. They are dated 11th 19th & 25th July, & please accept my very best thanks for them dear. So pleased to hear you are still well & happy sweetheart & having good news from John. I wish I could run across him. We are all well at home except Mother, she was not so good for a week or so, in bed, back to her oneself again. I think she is worry too much. Now dearest girl, I will have to cut this letter short too as I must write home too. Don't worry darling I'll be ok & am always thinking of my own little girl, loving her more than ever. Cheerio just now darling.

With all my love

Ever your own loving

Arthur xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

Ironically, I don't recall Arthur ever saying "Cheerio" before now. Arthur's words just bring on a sense of the day to follow, "Don't worry darling I'll be ok" "loving her more than ever", like this may be the last time he'll be able to tell her. :(

post-3199-1125286577.jpg