Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gone, but not forgotton Guy Graydon 1894-1915 kia Gallipoli

jimmy

France

Oct 16th 1915

My Dear Margaret,

I received your lovely long letter yesterday & again I am answering it on Saturday, in the morning this time. It is 2:30 am just now & I am in charge of the Guard. I always find it helps to keep one awake, writing letters. You see the Corporal of the Guard must not go to sleep at all during the night & keep continually visiting his guard & piquet's. I have just mounted a new relief & will have half an hour or so at your letter before I go on my rounds again. It is a bitterly cold night & there is a kind of Scotch mist on & altogether it is anything but pleasant. I was out riding all day & I can tell you it is taking me all my time to keep my blinkers open. The Guard Room is composed of the remains of a roadside cottage & the rain is drip drip dripping through the various holes in the roof. You can form your own ideas as to how these holes came to be there. Well dearie I have really no War news to give you. It is quite correct as you say. We have made great strides a fortnight or three weeks ago. It was then that Jim Brown was wounded & Hugh killed. Jim Brown is still in France, his condition is too bad to allow his removal over the channel, but he expects to get over before very long now. I was very pleased to hear that your father has benefited so much already & I do hope his treatment will prove a complete cure. Yes dearie you must miss your mother very much indeed, you & she have been so much together that I am sure she will miss you quite as much as you are missing her. Never mind Margaret you will be making all the more of her when she comes back. I had a letter from Mary about three days ago, poor girl she does not seem to be right at all, I do feel sorry for her. She does not say very much, but I can read between the lines, how very much she is feeling things. It is now three in the afternoon, I managed to keep my eyes open all night & had a sleep this forenoon, & am feeling a bit more lively....

France

Nov. 1st 1915

My Dearest Margaret,

I received your short, but sweet letter the day before yesterday, & am very glad to hear that your father & mother have got back safely, and that both are feeling so much better. It is nice dear that you have got so many letters from home, it shows that you are not forgotten by Mount Florida anyway. I am glad too dearie you got one from Mr. Ogg. I wrote to him about four months ago, but he has never replied, & between you & me dear, he will wait a while before he gets another. I think it is the least he could do to answer it, especially under the circumstances. I am feeling a bit rotten tonight, it has been raining for three days continuously, & I got socked the first day & am not dry yet, & it is a fortnight since my feet were dry. It is now dearie that we are missing our nice warm fires & beds. The mud is terrific & in some places the water is lying six inches deep, we are simply wading all day long. We are having a rather hot time just now & there has been some very narrow shaves, but we seemed to be a charmed corps as far as casualties go, we have not had a single one yet, in the column at any rate. I have hopes of getting home in about a fortnights time, but Oh! Darling, it seems too good to be true. I think I'd go "dopey" if I got back to civilization again. It would be great to get home, but the coming away again would be rather miserable. It seems more like a dream to think of seeing everybody again, but dearest, everybody won't be there. I will see father & mother, & Andrew, Winnie & all the old crowd, but my own dearie won't be there, Oh! can't you pay a flying visit Margaret just for one day. I would take you any place you want & stand you as many sliders as you want. A roundabout relation of mothers, her cousins daughter, who stays in Ayr, is getting married next week & Winnie is to be bridesmaid, while father is giving her away. Winnie seems quite excited over the affair. It will be her first public ceremony if you may, put it that way, but I rather think it is to be a quiet affair. Do you remember "your" wedding last year? Well dearie I don't think I have any more news just now, I hope you are keeping well & still quite happy. I am standing it all rights so far & think I will stick it out alright now. With all my love, Your own loving,

Arthur

xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxx

France

Nov. 7th 1915

I received your delightful letter of 14th Oct yesterday & very many thanks for it too. I am so glad you liked the photo dearie. I will try & get another taken with my fur coat & winter cap & give you a slight idea of what like boys look like out here in winter. We are having a great deal of trouble just now with our mules. They can't bear our fur jackets. We nearly had a stampede the other night, some of the boys went up to the mule line with their coats on & whether they have been used to bears or not, they nearly went mad. It will take time to get them used to them. The weather is still very bad & it is exceedingly cold. I have given up hope of getting my feet dry before the spring. The rain keeps off perhaps for a couple days & the mud gets a little dryer then the rain comes on again & the mud is as bad as ever. There is one thing I am thankful for & that we are not in the same district as the one we were in when we came out here first, It is not quite so bad here. Darling you will need to excuse me if I seem to be wandering from one subject to another. I am writing this in the NCO's writing room. it consist of a big stable without stall divisions & there is the most awful rack & going on, the gramophone is going in one corner, another chap is playing a concertina, some are trying to harmonizes & others are arguing about the Dardanelles, & between one & the other , it is rather a big job, however I will do my best dearie. Mother was telling me, she had such a nice letter from your mother, she seems very pleased to have received it. I hope to get home a week on Wednesday, if all goes well & I will get on Andrews top, about not writing & will try & get him to drop you a note before the New Year, but I won't promise that my attempt will be successful, however I will do my best dearie. Yes dear, I am quite interested in your winter garb, & am willing for any tips that may be gain & can assure you darling when the times comes that I must & I don't think it will be a hardship. Well dear Margaret this is Sunday evening & is five minutes to eight, the time when you & I used to be so happy. I wonder what you are doing just now. Of course it won't be so late with you, you will probably just have finished your evening meal, & perhaps you might be writing me a letter eh? Well dearie there's the trumpet for roll call giving us five minutes warning & then to bed, so I will need to be closing now. I am still keeping well only for a slight cold, but that is nothing worth talking about. The prospect of a visit to Mount keeps away all troubles. I hope you are well Margaret, & hope your father is still improving & will soon be quite well & strong again. As usual sweetheart, I send you all my love & tons of kisses, your loving

Arthur

xxxxxxxxx

France

Nov. 14th 1915

My Dearest Margaret,

I have been the happy happy receiver of a whole two letters this week, & on days running. Darling I can tell you I was pleased. It is such a treat receiving one regularly every week, but when two arrive, it is like receiving bread for breakfast, but perhaps you can realize what a treat that is. Your first letter dearie was dated 21st Oct. and thanks very much for all the good things you have said in it. I am glad you had a note from Miss Lowart. I must say I had forgotten all about her, that is the first I have heard about the Gillespie's, as car conductors & so far as I know they have not started their duties yet, & I must say Margaret "I had my Doubts". I wouldn't like to see them at it anyway. There is plenty of other good work, I think that they could get. Mother in her last letter mentioned that "Elplne G was now in France & Daisy was about to start her nursing duties". I think that is more in her line, don't you dearie. I am glad that Joe & Ernestine (hope I'm not taking too much liberty in calling her that) are fixed up in their new house all right & may they be always as happy. You want, sweetheart, we'll be the same some day. Well Margaret your other letter was dated 26th & I got it the day after your other. That was unfortunate about those sand spurs, I wish I'd been there to remove them. That was only too true about "hundreds of men leaving the county to escape the army", but they were all Irish, & the crew of the boat refused to sail if they were allowed to sail, so the whole lot had to come ashore & the Cunard line have now issued a notice that they will not issue tickets to any men of military age & fitness, and I think it is the best thing that has been done for a long while. That's what's going to win this war Margaret, nothing but hordes of men. Well dear I didn't manage to finish this letter last night. This is Monday morning & the ground is covered with snow, & by Jove it's not half cold. I am not sure whether my feet are on or off. We are now finding out those who are not going to be able to stand the winter. I am alright so far, but better not say too much, I may be the next to go, for all anyone knows. I wonder what that secret is that you mention & see & don't forget to tell me when the time arrives. I have not the slightest idea of what you are driving at. However I will wait dearie. It is now 1:45 PM, you see I am just writing this bit by bit as I get the chance. I haven't very long just now, as I have to take up some ammunition & am just waiting on the wagons. We have just finished dinner, the usual old stew, only without any potatoes, & a couple of biscuits. How's that for a growing boy, eh? Well dearie I don't think I have anymore news & I don't want to miss the mail & my wagons are now ready, so I need to be off. With all my love, your loving,

Arthur

xxxxxx

xxxxxx

France

Nov. 19th 1915

My Dearest Margaret,

I really don’t know what I am going to write about this week at all, I have no letter to answer from you since your dear letter of 11th Oct. The one with the lovely little photographs in it. I think I have said so much about them already that if I were to add still more I might flatter you too much, eh! Dearie. But that one, that you got enlarged is simply beautiful & one day when I was having a wee squint at it, one of the boys snatched it out of my hand, saying “Let’s see the photo that’s always coming out”. Anyway he was quite pleased with it & remarked “Jolly nice bit of stuff”. Now that remark may not exactly please you darling, but you see when boys have been so long together as we have & never see a bit skirt at all, our manners & phrases are apt to lag a bit, so you can rest content that it was one of the best complements that could have been given you.

We had a bit of a concert in our dug out last night; by the way did I tell you last week that I am having my turn at the guns just now. Well the concert took place after we were in bed, we have rigged up bunks there, one on top of the other, and each bunk holds two, so you see Margaret, we had rather a unique concert hall to begin with. Then this morning we had a bit of a joke, when one of the boys told us that I was singing “Egypt” in my sleep. I don’t quite believe him myself, but anyway if I was, it just proved the loving mood I was in last night, for I was feeling very much that way last night, I am always, too, when I hear some good singing & harmonizing. One of my gunners sang “Margaret”. Oh! Darling how it reminded me of the old days. The days when I could do a bit more than write to each other. Doesn’t it seem a terrible long time since then sweetheart? How things have changed since then Margaret dear, one thing hasn’t changed at any rate dear, I still cherish you as much as ever, only a bit more. It’s grand when one feels a bit fed up or sort of home sick just to think there’s a little girl still waiting and as true as ever. I am afraid I never put my feelings, towards you sweet one, very often in my letters, but it’s not the want of my love for you dear that does it, I just can’t put them into words as I would like to. Never mind darling I’ll be able to make up for it all some day. I am going to have a bit of a novelty this week; metaphorically speaking, I am going back to school.

I am going on a month’s course to the School of Artillery. It should be a nice change from the usual routine. It’s usually just sergeants who get on this course, so I am taking it as a sort of feather in my cap. So I expect my next letter will be from there. It might not be an extra long one as I will have a great deal of stewing up to do, but I will do my best at any rate to give you my usual. I suppose you will know before this epistle reaches you Margaret, but will chance that, Annie Watt is now Mrs. James Dougans. I wonder how she likes her new name, eh! However I think she will make quite a good wife to Jimmie and him a good husband to her. We must just wish them a good luck & that the sun may shine brightly on them. I have not heard from Mary for a long time now. I don’t remember when her last letter arrived, but it seems ages. I hope she is still alright, I often feel rather sorry for the wee soul. I always seem to think of her as lonelier than most people at home just now. How’s all the millinery etc. getting on, I suppose by now you will have made umpteen more articles.

In mother’s last letter, she was telling me that Winnie is coming away fine that line. She made a hat for herself & mother also a blouse each. Mother says she (Winnie) is a lot inclined that way than towards house work, but all the same from what I hear, she does not, bad that way either. Well derie I didn’t manage to finish my letter yesterday. I spent my spare moments this morning in getting ready for my course. I got a new tunic and have got my stripes sewed on, after three attempts, I couldn’t get them on straight for the life of me, but they are ok now after a bold effort. Then I was sewing on buttons and generally repairing my coat too. Well Margaret I think I am about exhausted now, I don’t know how I have managed to fill up this amount, it’s so hard knowing what to put in. I hope you are still keeping in the best of health and as cheery as usual, also that your mother is well and all the others too. I am still getting along fine and sticking it pretty well, although there is “some” mud & no mistake. Well goodbye just now darling, I hope to have a letter to answer next week. With all my love, always your own,

Arthur

France

Nov. 22nd 1915

My Dearest Margaret,

Once more I am having the pleasure of answering one of your dear letters. This time the one dated 2nd Nov. First of all darling, I must apologize for that unfinished letter. I can’t understand it & have never come across the last page. It wasn’t opened at the base & sealed with an official seal, was it? If so perhaps the censor has collard it, but again I take great care not to put anything in them, that might lead to their being destroyed, & anyway I don’t want to get six months for abusing them, that would hardly do eh! I am sorry dear to have put you a little about, but I am sure I will be forgiven, won’t I. Well Margaret it is only two days, & you can bet your boots, that I am fairly looking forward to it. Do you think you could guess what I am wanting to get away from most? It’s not so much the war, but the MUD. Oh! It won’t half be grand to get out of it for a little. I have never seen the like of it before & don’t ever want to see it again, after the war is over, but when is that to be, dear only knows.

Yes it was very hard on Jim Brown & I am sorry to say dear, that he is by no means out of danger yet. He has had his back opened up twice, but is doing as well as can be expected. His mother & father went down to London hospital to see him, but they did not recognize him, Mrs. Brown got a bad shock. He was hardly able to speak to them, but seemed quite pleased to see them. The doctor says it will be six months anyway before he is out. Poor chap; he has had a rough time of it. Do you remember a boy Willie McEwan, a chum of William Young, he was at the Erskine Ferry ramble, well he has a months leave for resigning on, his time being up & intended waiting till Christmas, but yesterday he got a telegram from his father, to try & get home now. His brother was in that big advance & got wounded. He seems to have been pretty badly struck, as they seem to be in doubt whether he will live or not. I am sure there is about half our corps with brothers who have been either killed or wounded.

I was very pleased to hear of you getting that nice letter from Isa Autken & I am sure you will appreciate it very much indeed & then that piece of poetry is just beautiful. It is some kind person trying to comfort you a little dearest, and I am sure you will treasure it very much. The lines are just perfect. There has been a number of poems written in memory of those who have fallen, but I think that one is the best I have read. Well Margaret I have not very much in the news line, things have been rather quiet this week, you see our Inf. Bde. Has been out of the trenches for rest, the main topical subject just now is the MUD. We have also had a lot of snow & it is bitterly cold. It doesn’t seem to matter how much clothes you put on, the wind seems to get right through the lot. We have got sheep skin jackets & they help a lot. It is funny to see the whole crowd on parade with their hairy coats, more like a parade of teddy bears. Well I think this all just now dearie. I hope your father & mother & all the others are keeping well, and you, yourself darling, I hope you are well & getting along alright. Oh! I wish I could see you when I am home, with all my love dearest, your own,

Arthur

France

Dec. 13 1915

My Dearest Margaret,

I am a day late in writing this week, & my excuse is “want of paper”. I usually write on the Sunday evening, but had to miss it this time, I managed to get this pad so here goes. To begin with dearie I offer my humblest apologizes for returning the stamps you so very kindly sent me. When I went to bed last Sunday night, it dawned on me that I had sent back your stamps in the envelope. I felt so ashamed of myself, Margaret, & of what you would think of me, I am afraid you will think me very negligent, darling, but I can assure you it was a pure mistake.

I forgot to tell you in my last letter that Andrew is now a “soldier” in the “High Light Infantry”. When I got off the train at St. Enoch, the first thing he said was “I’m in the kilties, the A & SH”. He passed the doctor & got a week to help father a bit, it being his busy time & was to be sworn in the night after I left. He went in to town on the evening I was to leave & came back with a face as long as the moon, with the story that the 15th Argyll’s has been ordered to stop recruiting. I did feel sorry for him Margaret for he was so delighted at getting in at last. Well he wasn’t in ten minutes when he rose up & said “I am away into the town to try another regiment”. He came back about 7:30 looking as different again; he had just got into the 19th H.L.I. & was to go off to Ripon Yorkshire the following week. I am sending you his first letter Dearie, I am sure you would like to read it. I have laughed over it a dozen times. He seems to have enjoyed his first day at any rate, and I am glad he has got hold of someone he knows, it makes such a difference, if one is a complete stranger. I am at a bit of a loss for news this week Margaret, as I received no letter this week. I have nothing I can answer, however I was not expecting one, you see I got two last week, but I will try & give you a little about this lamentable place.

The old friend, the weather is in the best of winter form, this morning there was a good layer of snow which melted to form in to the best form of porridge I have seen for a while, and if you can imagine yourself wading about in two feet of that stuff for twelve hours dearie, you have a very good ideal of what like it is. I am mud from head to feet & feeling just about as rotten as I have felt for a long while. I wonder when it’s going to finish dearie, & I for one won’t be very sorry, when it is, I think when I get home Margaret I’ll stay in every night & sit & read in front of a nice fire, it will make us all appreciate our good homes ten times more when we do. I was just thinking the other night of some of our minstrel practices, what reminded me of it was, we were sitting round a brazier, about six of us, and one of the boys started humming “The Sergeant of the line”, It reminded me of the times when we had finished & were having the banquet. When are you & I to have a nice cup of tea together again dearest, will we go to the Picture House for it, do you remember the day of the Kings Visit, or will we have the couch in the drawing room with a nice coke fire & the key inside. I think I would prefer the latter. What do you say sweetheart? Oh! That will be a great say. I had hoped to send you my photo this week with my Christmas greeting, but I am sorry to say they have note arrived yet, but I will send them as soon as I receive them. I got them taken when I was home, and am just hoping they turn out fairly decent. Well I will need to stop quickly now as “lights out” has gone & I don’t want to be causing trouble. Please give my heartiest greetings to all your dear ones & a very merry Christmas & a happy New Year to your own dear self & very very many of them. My own dear Margaret, with my very best love & kisses, your own loving,

Arthur

Private A H Sloan

E Boy Hut 34

19th {R} H.L.I.

South Camp

Ripon Yorks

Dear Arthur,

I have just about finished my first day of “soldiering”; it has been anything but exciting. Well I may as well start from the time I landed. I got here about 5 PM yesterday in time for tea and when I was taken in to the dining hall, two chaps shouted out “Hello Sloan”, one was Alan Robertson who used to stay beside the Gillespie’s –Highbury - & the other was a lad who stays in Hampden, called Buchan. I think he was in 2 P School. Well after tea I came back to the hut & I can tell you I got in beside a great crowd of boys & couldn’t wish for better. A Robertson & I went out to a concert in the dry canteen, which was very good, but as it was a rotten night, snowing hard with about 3” on the ground, we went straight home. Well the truth is, I never laughed as much as I did last night, it was the limit, but I did manage to get to sleep after what seemed a long time. Then this morning I got up with the rest and loafed about till breakfast, after which I swept out the hut & then I was finished for the time being (till dinner). We got stew & potatoes for dinner, but by the time our huts turn came there was no pudding left. Then in the afternoon I cleaned the windows of one side of the hut, and that’s all I have done today. I am not posted up yet, & I got to pass the Batt doctor, so that’s all that’s worrying me. To night was pay night and when I went up & saluted I got nothing, thanked them and saluted again, they are very considerate in the army, I must say, but I got a bob or two with me, so it does not matter. We are now preparing for a kit inspection, but as I’ve move it does not worry me. You will be wondering about this salubrious place called Ribon, well it seems all right, but not as good as Bedford. I’ve only passed through it on my way to the camp, so I don’t know just what it is like. I think this is about all at present, so, so long for the present.

Yours,

Andrew

Jimmy

I have read all the letters with great interest and respect. Thanks for posting them.

Is there a pciture of Andrew Available at all please? I notice he was originally with the 19th Highland Light Infantry, but moved to the 16th Highland Light Infantry. Is there any mention of his transfer or details of his service with the 16th HLI?

Best Wishes

Gary Wood

Jimmy - sooner or later I am going to really need to know more about how Margaret's life turned out and how you are connected.

There is another burning question I have to ask - do you think Margaret would have returned to Mount Florida to marry Arthur or was their future set for a new life and fresh beginning in the U.S.A.

Why these questions are important to me I cant quite say but they keep reoccurring with each new set of letters you post.

Jonathan

Thanks for your continual interests in Arthur & Margaret, as it's my intent in sharing his/her story. I feel my connection is unimportant, I am a humble person, & only wish to direct any & all attention towards Arthur & Margaret, and of those from the "Gang", so bare with me on this subject.

I sense that Arthur's & Margaret's story would've ended in sadness, no matter if he'd lived. Once Andrew was killed, I feel Arthur's fate was sealed, he would come back home after the war, and be the father's son, doing what he may have felt obligated to do in his position, (with the loss of the other son). Margaret was fixed in America also, because of her father's dreams, and her being the only daughter, she felt obligated to her family also. Without having Margaret's words, we really don't know how she really felt on this subject, but if Arthur's words are an indication of how she must of felt, then maybe the families would have made certain they would be together. I am certain that Margaret was Arthur's soul mate, and even the fact that Margaret did marry (to a wonderful man), some 9 years after the death of Arthur, may show that she indeed had devotion for Arthur, long after his death.

In my mind they were never apart, they spent all the rest of their days together.

Jimmy

France

Dec. 19th 1915

My Dear Margaret,

I told you in my last letter that I had received no letters that week. Well to make up for it, dearie, I have got two lovely long ones this week, the first of 25th Nov & the second of 1st Dec. In your first one you say it is “Thanks-giving Day & that you had turkey, well I am glad you enjoyed it, Margaret, but you might of sent me a slice.Excuse me please, you must be a regular taff in that new garb of yours & your Napoleonic hat & your new boots. Do you remember when we used to compare the size of our boots out the Carmunnock Rd on a Wednesday evening & how I managed to beat you in size, well if you only saw them now, I am wearing size nine just now, of course I have two pair of socks & a pair of soles to contend with, so you must not think my "tootsies" have been growing too much. My boots are long legged ones, lacing with a broad piece of leather overlapping the top of the lace & fastening with three buckles. The tongue is attached all the way up on both sides & so the water cannot get in. These kind of boots are being gradually issued so that every man will have a pair, & I being an NCO got the privilege of the first lot. They help a lot to keep the feet dry, but even with all the sox etc. the cold still gets in. I was out from early morning today & am just newly back 6 PM & as I said once before darling, I didn't know sometimes whether my feet were in the stirrups or not, or if they were there at all.

Today has been simply beautiful, bright sunshine, but a biting cold wind that seems to piece everything. I often think when I am out on a Sunday like that, & look at my watch about 10:45 & imagine I see the people going to church, today about that time, there was very heavy gunfire & it made me think dearest of the great difference between this Xmas & two years ago. It was just about then when you & I were beginning to understand each other & be a little more than friends, it was just about this time when I as you in a most strange & uncommon way if you accompany to the Mt School Dance. Oh! these were the happy days sweetheart, how little did we think then what was in front of us both. Do you remember I used to say to you, I would like to see a year or two ahead, and you told me not to say or wish so, & I see to well how correct you were darling, but I must confess, I have still got that yearning, at times. What will the next two years bring to you & me, my own dear girl. May it be better times that the present.

I am glad you are still keeping up your music both singing & the piano. You tell me of you & Joe singing a duet, but you felt so nervous, well that is nothing to be ashamed of darling; I would far rather have you that than like some; that was one of the attractions that made me love you as I do, at first I used to think you sang so little at parties etc, but as I got to know you Margaret I saw that beautiful shyness, which not very many people are the possessors of. You are one saying I am flattering you sweet one, but I have never told you half the good things I see in you, I was always backwards that way. Like Miss Kneebone, the lady who was so good to me in Bedford, it was in her house we had the office, she often asked me about my young lady, & when she could not get much out of me, she said "She must be different from the usual, to suit you, my son", that was her phrase Margaret, to a word. I visited her when I was home, she is an old saint, I don't mean anything by "old" for she is well up in years. You will all be quite pleased, that Mr. Benbow is to have his house so near you, is there to be a lady as well? Yes Margaret, you can flatter yourself that your two letters on two days running accounts for that letter, one makes me so happy, but to get two so close was better than six bottles of medicine & did me more good, not that there was anything wrong with me bodily. You are surprised at bread being a treat & ask me what do I get for breakfast, well yesterday we had, breakfast: tea? bread & cheese, dinner: stew without potatoes, Tea: Tea? bread & jam. (tinned)

Today we had biscuits & cheese for breakfast, dinner stew & two potatoes, tea: bread & jam - & black bun, shortbread, sardines, fresh butter, walnut cake & lemon cheese, of course the latter portion was from home. It was not half a feed. I am pleased to say our commissionaire is still alive & keeping fairly well. He is still a prisoner & gets to write to his wife about once per month, of course he does not get to say very much. His wife is getting his office pay & is staying with her mother, so he is fairly comfortable, although perhaps not very happy.

I will look forward to these duets Margaret, that are in your new book, but I am afraid you will need to start & teach me my music over again, I tried it a little when I was home, but was absolutely no good. The only piece I could do half decently was "Rose D' Or" I think it was your favorite, well it was the only one that went at all passable. I supposed you will have heard by now, that "Our George" tried to enlist, but went up with a special bandage on his knee & was failed, much to his pleasure as he told a mount chap. He is now on munitions work & getting L2 per week. That is the funny thing just now Margaret. "Stay at home & get big wages or join & get a bob a day". You are asking if conscription is to come in. Well it is not certain yet what is to be done. Lord Derby gave them till 30th Nov to enlist & between 28th & 30th, thousands enlisted, but nothing has been done yet, so we don't know whether it was bluff or whether the authorities intend calling up the unmarried men or not, I expect it will need to be another case of "Wait and see", but anyway it has fairly helped recruiting.

You say I am one of the lucky ones, well perhaps I am, I am not sure whether I told you last week or note, but my cousin has been wounded at last. I have had no word yet whether it is dangerously or what, but I think it is hard lines after sticking it so long. I am glad it did not happen before I was in London, & would not have been the same at all, and my aunt is of a nervous disposition. That sounds rather selfish, but I think you understand me Margaret. I had a letter from Andrew yesterday, he is doing fine & has received his uniform, he seems quite pleased with him self & as the old saying goes "Wonders never cease". He asked me to send on your address, he says I must write & tell Margaret "I am a soldier". So that is a treat for you to look forward to, eh! I am sending you my latest pose & you can write & tell me how you like it Margaret. I got it taken when I was home. Well I think this about all I have got to say just now darling. I received the stamps & will not do as I did with the last, it is very kind of you indeed & they are very welcome. I am quite well & getting along tip top. I hope you are all well & have a very prosperous New Year. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

Dec. 27th 1915

Monday

My Dearest Margaret,

I received your dear letter of 9th Dec last Thursday & your most delightful Xmas Card today. The post mark on it is the 10th, so you see the way the mail varies. Your letter darling is a dear dear one, but I feel so sorry to hear that Guy was buried at sea, but darling what difference will it make to him, he has received his great reward & no more of the troubles & worries of this strange life will bother him now. When I know that you are in trouble or worried darling it makes me feel so helpless, I can't comfort you as I should like, I try my best in letters, but if I could only have you beside me, but again perhaps I could not give you much help even then, you must just put your faith in God, darling & pray for him to comfort you, I am finding out more & more what prayer can mean to one when things seem to be wrong, but then it is all planed out for us & not as we might think, going wrong.

Well Margaret, Xmas has come & gone, now & we have had a very very busy time too. I was delivering souvenirs for the Germans all day. We had an impromptu dinner at night & it came off very successfully. We had cold roast & mashed potatoes, peas & sauce, 2nd course sausages & sauce & third course tea & cake & shortbread, so you see we can do it a little when the occasion arrives. On Sunday we had church parade & do you know what happened, the Chaplin managed to get a piano from the mayor of the village & the pianist failed to turn up & asked for a volunteer, well I did it, but thought there was music & when I went up I discovered there was none. I didn't know what to do, as I can't play hymns without music, however I managed to play two, "Duke Street" & Onward Christian Soldiers", fairly well. Margaret, it reminded me of the old day of the Bible Class. I am sorry that Joe has had a cold, but hope by now he is quite better & back to his old form.

It is my turn to tell you my troubles this time, the part of the column I am in, is being broken up, I am rather worried as to what I will be put into now. We are supposed to know by the New Year what's what, so I will perhaps be able to tell you in my next letter what I am in. I wish I knew, then again I can be reduced to Bombardier as promotions on the field are only temporary & if necessary NCO can be reduce to the rank they held when they left England. Some of the boys are taking it very hard, it seems a bit hard too leaving the old brigade & our horses after being so long together out here. One thing, I know who has got my horse & know it will be well treated. You have no idea how attached one becomes to a horse when it has been so long with one, even the mules, some of the boys have got their two mules to know them so well, they will follow them & do practrially anything for them & that is saying a lot, for a mule is, as a rule very thick indeed. Don't think too much of this darling, but it is like leaving ones best friends. However darling we must just "wait & see" as Mr. Asquith said. I saw Elphie Forrest & Frank Dougans the other day, they are both looking very well & Elphie Forrest is getting a terrible height. He is well over six feet now.

My chum here Corpl Campbell has got his commission in the 3/4th Lowland Bde & goes home this week to take up his new duties, he is a very decent chap & stays in Giffnock. I have just been thinking that if I don't get a job to suit me, I might go in for one myself, but it is only a thought so far, what do you think of it dearie. I really would prefer being a common Tommy myself & would need to be very bad I think before I would go in for one. There are so many "nibs" officers nowadays that it kind of puts one off the notion. I expect you will have heard from Andrew by now, he is still doing fine & liking his new life A I. I will need to close now sweetheart, lights out have gone & I want this to go tomorrow, I am a day late already, we have been busy. I hope to be able to tell you more next week. Give my kindest regards to all & my very best love to you, my own dear girl. Your own loving,

Arthur

Jimmy,

The letter dated 27th December is interesting as Arthur states " Guy was buried at sea". I dont recall having seen that in any of the other letters or facts you have posted.

Presumably this information regarding the circumstances of Guy's death had been written to the family from one of Guy's company - whether officer or OR, and then from Margaret to Arthur.

Can we assume from this that Guy was on a hospital ship when he died? Do you know did he die from wounds or from disease?

All the best,

Jon

Jonathan

On page one, post #3 is a picture of Guy's death certificate, he died of wounds, you are probably correct as to the likelihood of Guy being on a Hospital ship when he died.

Last night I was reading thru a couple letters dated around the month's of Nov./Dec. 1917, and I ran across the following written by Arthur, I felt the need to share it. I'm posting only a paragraph from one of the letters.

Artillery School

R.H. & R.F.A. (#14 camp)

Durrington Camp

Salisbury Plain

Dec 17th 1917

...There's not very much in the news line from home. Mother is very upset just now; they have been re-burying the dead on the Somme battlefield, to try & trace all the missing & to bury them decently. Well darling, they came upon poor Andrew remains, they knew by his identity disc & the War Office sent it on to father. His name etc is quite distinct, but it is all rusty & dirty with lying in the earth so long, nearly eighteen months. I do feel sorry for mother, dear, it has opened the wound once more, so keenly, but in a way I am more satisfied now, it let's us know that he is really dead & did not become a prisoner & perhaps have a lingering death in their hands....

Jimmy

France

Jan 3rd 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I have got fixed up for the present at the base & am fairly comfortable. We are in tents & are on the coast, it is just delightful. We go for long marches along the shore of the Atlantic. It is such a change Margaret, I feel as if I were on holiday. The weather is absolutely perfect, beautiful sunshine & not at all cold. I often go for a stroll on the sand at night & think, when I look over the sea, that you are away in the distance, darling how I long that I might have you beside me on the shore there & just have a nice walk along the shore and talk things over or I think we could enjoy it quite as well if there was never a word spoken. The sunsets are just beautiful, it reminds me very much of the coast at Portrush. We have plenty of canteens in the camp, run by different societies, YMCA, Church Army, Salvation Army & a number of others run by private people, & last of all there is a cinema & very good too. We get plenty of hard work by day, but are free about four o'clock & it is not dark tell about 5 PM, so we have an hour of daylight at least. The grub is not so good as up the line, but with plenty of canteens we can buy plenty of food. I don't know yet what is to happen to us, but on the whole I think I would prefer going back to the firing line. One may think what one likes, but to me it seems as if we were of no use at all in being sent down the line.

There are rumors we may go home to the 2nd or 3rd line, but I won't believe it till I am on the boat, and even then I would prefer going back to the front. After being up there so long one takes bad with all the restrictions of base life, which is just the same as in peace. I am afraid I am going to be stuck for news, you see I have had no letters or anything since leaving the brigade & it may be some time before I have one of your dear letters, but then again I may get two or three when they do arrive & what a treat that will be. I am nursing missing my letters very much indeed, I used to hear regularly from home & Andrew & then yours too, so you can see what a difference it is. I think you should address my letters to the house till I get fixed up, just send them to Corpl AJS 28. & I have told mother to send them on, you see I don't want to miss them on any consideration. I have got your last letter & Xmas card with me, but I had to leave all my Xmas parcels behind & most of them were only opened & had never touched. Your Xmas card was just delightful, dear Margaret, how I treasure the reading inside, it is just what I wanted to get from you.

Your letter is of the 9th Dec. & you tell me about poor Guy being buried at sea, it seems very hard dear one, but I think what an honorable grave & death he had. Put your trust in God Margaret, I am sure he will comfort you all in your sad times. I am going to try & get to Communion next Sunday, I have never been at it, since leaving Bedford, there was a special one the Sunday before we left there, & if I am spared I may get next Sunday. It is held in the YMCA Canteen. You see there is no opportunity for such up the line, but down here there is every facility. I am sending you a PC I got from Miss Joahana Strang, it shows Wiers New Office & part of the Column with their mobilization wagons or rather lorries. I think you might like to have it, as a souvenir of our few happy evenings together before we were parted. I am not sure whether I am in it or not, but just imagine I am. Well dear girl I don't think I have any more to tell you just now. I hope to get your next letter soon & will let you know what's what in my next letter. I hope you are well dearie it always remember I am still waiting for my own Margaret. With all my love, ever your own loving,

Arthur

France

Jan 9th 1916

Sunday

My Dearest Margaret,

I have one of your letters to reply to this time alright. I got it yesterday morning & can tell you dearie, I was pleased to get it. That is strange about the USA Post Office examining letters, but I suppose they have much right to open mails going in as Briton has to open out going ones. However I don't think they found anything offensive in mine anyway. Yes, Jim Brown is keeping a little better, but last week he got a rib removed from his right side. Poor chap he has had a sore time of it. He is still confined to bed, but was to get up into a bath chair this week if he kept improving. You/ask what I mean by Wm McEwan getting a months leave, well you see we sign on for five years & his five years were finished & he could have got his discharge if he desired so, but like a lot more he signed on for the duration of war & for doing so, he got a months leave.

I got your paper cutting alright dear & it is very nice indeed, I am glad the young man didn't mean anything by giving you it, he'd better not, eh! It was very very kind & thoughtful of you sending me something for my X'mas darling, & I can tell you I will appreciate it very very much, It has not arrived yet, but I hope to get it very soon now. I have still got the dear little present you sent me last year, it has been in my pocket all the time & is no worse of the wear at all. It continually keeps you in my mind darling, but I think I hardly need to say that you would be there always even although I had not your keepsake. That was so kind of your Aunt Maggie remembering me, I almost feel so if I know her darling, although I have never met her. I am still at the base Margaret & in my opinion having a ripping time. At first it wasn't quite so nice, we got plenty of hard work of all kinds, from digging to loading & unloading railway trucks, but now I have struck. I was "fun oot" (found out) as we say here. You will perhaps remember I was pay sergeant at Bedford & for a long while out here. Well some way or another the pay master here found it out & yesterday I was called into the pay office & asked if I wanted a job, of course I did not need to be asked twice, & I started this morning as "assistant paymaster" sounds quite swell doesn't it dear. I preferred being a line corporal up the line, but down here I must confess I have got the better of the two. My office consists of a tent, all the way from India. It has double walls & is as warm as one could desire. I have got a brazier in it when required & with burning coak in it, it gives off no smoke at all, I can have hot buttered toast for my breakfast & tea every day. I think I told you last week that there is a picture house in the camp. Well I am usually at it every evening & then after it we go to one of the YMCA huts, which is packed every evening. You perhaps ask what the attraction there is. Well darling it is "Merely" to sing three hymns & have a prayer followed by the Lords prayer. I am sure you would like to see into that hut some evening. It will hold about 1500 & they are of all sorts & types of the British Army. There are huts run by various societies, but there is absolutely not to compete with the YMCA, for eatering, civility & anything else one might mention.

Today we had church parade as usual, in one of the YMCA huts & had an exceptionally fine minister. I don't know who he was, but he is Scotch anyway. Then tonight I was at communion, the first since coming to France.There were only about twenty there, you see it is held here every Sunday, as there is always some new lot down the line & they might only be here for a few days, so arrangements are made for everyone who may be here on a Sunday to attend it. The weather just now is simply charming. Although it is rather cold at night, through the day, it is just like summer, a clear cloudless sky, with beautiful sunshine & not at all cold, and although I would like to get back up the line, I would not object to staying here a little longer yet. Well sweetheart I don't think I have any more news just now. As I have already said, I am AI. I hope you are well dearie & keeping a bright spirit. Please thank your Mother for her good wishes & give my kindest regards to all including Ernestine, I feel sort of shy writing that word. So goodbye just now darling & mind there's a good time coming, with all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

Jan 16th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I have not received any letter to answer this week yet, but I have received your most most delightful & appropriate present. I do thank you sweetheart & if you had seen me when it arrived I think you would have received some idea of how I appreciated it. I did not open it for quite five minutes, I looked at the wrapper & smiled on it like a kiddie with a new toy. One of the boys sleeping next to me, said "Come on, open it & let us see what's in it". You see, by some way or another, they know who it is that I have in America, least they don't know your name or anything, but what relation you are to me. Fancy you a relation of mine, sounds strange doesn't it? You/are not one yet, but for for better than that darling, and may be if we are both spared, it will be more than relationship.

Well dear Margaret your brushes & comb were just the very thing that I was wanting, my present tooth brush is just about done & I have no hair brush nor nail brush, so you see how you just sent the very thing I was requiring, how did you know it dearie? eh! I can just send you my very best thanks & oh! I will make up for all the good things, you have done for me since the war started, later on. I have not the opportunity now sweet one, but you just wait till the time comes, when I can. I am still at the base Margaret & getting along fairly well, although it is becoming a little bit stale. We are getting all sorts of fatigues, some of which, in their way, are quite a novelty.The latest one was unloading a steamer. It was not a bad job at all & the day was beautiful too, which made all the difference in the world. Then yesterday we had another long route march, I am becoming used to them gradually, but at first my feet & legs did ache after a whole days march. Today we had church parade as usual & had a fairly good sermon, but not as good, I think as last Sunday, it seemed more mixed. The forenoon was beautiful, but about dinner time the rain started & has been coming down since. Just now it is simply pouring & there is a bit of a row in the tent. One of the boys touched the canvas with his head. Perhaps you don't understand dearie, so I will explain.

When it is raining & the canvas has become thoroughly wet, if one is to touch it, the rain immediately starts to drip through at that particuilar spot, and the only way to stop it, is to run the finger down the canvas from the affected bit, right down to the bottom of the tent, but sometimes that doesn't even stop it. So you will understand me now Margaret, when I say there is a row, for if every one was to touch the canvas, ten to one in five minutes we would be getting as good a shower in the tent as outside. Then again when it starts raining, we have to slacken all the guy ropes, as the canvas shrinks very quickly on becoming wet & if not slackened, the pole would go right through the top & ten beauties would have to toll up for a new tent. Well darling I did not manage to finish off this letter yesterday, so I will do so now. I have just finish my dinner, the famous bully beef was what they inflicted on us today. We had a route march along the coast this morning & on our way back, the rain started & poured all the way home, and to complete things, someone left the tent door open & the rain has been blowing in for about two hours, so you can imagine what kind of a mess the floor is in & some of the blankets have got it too, but luckily mine have escaped. Tent life is alright in good weather Margaret, but when the rain starts interfering, it spoils the show completely. Everything gets so damp & wet.

I received a letter from mother last night & she tells me that Mr. Ogg is probably coming out here to help in the YMCA's. He won't have uniform, however; I would like to have seen him as a Chaplin with his uniform. He would look rather odd, don't you think so dearie. Andrew is still getting along very well, he seems to be liking the life alright, but he say's he is just commencing to get used to the grub. He makes me laugh the way he takes things. Last week they had a false fire alarm & to make up for their disappointment at getting turned out for nothing, he say's they just turned the hose on each other & gave one another a good drooking. Rather a good idea eh! Well dearest I don't think I have any more news just now, I must again thank you for your dear present; I will always cherish it with all my heart. I hope you are all well & that your mother is keeping quite strong. Goodbye just now sweetheart, ever your own loving,

Arthur

post-3199-1143304786.jpg

Arthur was in the 3rd Highland Ammunition Column, attached to the 51st Highland Division.

Summary of 1915

The 51st Highland Division departs Bedford and sent to France, between 30 April and 3 May 1915

The 51st Highland Division is sent to help in the defense of Ypres, May 12th in Action

The 51st Highland Division relieves the 2nd Division near Festubert, May 19th

The 51st Highland Division attack at Rue d'Ouvert, near Givenchy (the Second Action of Givenchy ) June 15th

Late June 1915 Division move south to the area north of the River Somme. They relieved a French Division near Hamel

July/Aug 1915 Arthur is in or near the town of Albert, sends postcards to Margaret (1914 destruction of Albert)

THE

51ST (HIGHLAND) DIVISION.

INTRODUCTION.

BY NEIL MUNRO

No division of the line in the British Army that fought against Germany in the Great War came through the years of campaign in France and Flanders with more renown than the Fifty-first. From the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel, on the Somme, in November 1916, till the taking of Greenland Hill and the fighting from Iwuy to Famars in October 1918, its name was on every lip, not only in the army, but at home, where its exploits and its reputation made it unquestionably the star performer among all our infantry divisions. From every war some unit of command---a regiment or brigade---comes through with popular laurels, a name for ever after to be illustrious. In this greatest of wars that glory went to a whole division, and that a Scottish one, composed entirely of Highland territorials.

They had been, in the bantering fashion of the army, known as "Harper's Duds" months after they had gone to France--- a nickname inspired by the distinguishing mark "HD" on all the Division's vehicles. Though their record at Festubert, High Wood, and the Labyrinth was evidence enough of the stubborn and enduring stuff they were made of, a ridiculous underestimate of their quality, due to their purely citizen composition, kept them more or less in the background till the great offensive found them thrust into the most furious battling on the Somme. General Harper had never had any doubt of how his tartaned corps would bear themselves when their blood was up. He must have smiled at times at the wonder and the praise of his chiefs as gradually but swiftly they awakened to the truth that his "duds" were among the most intrepid and audacious units of the army !

The Fifty-first paid dearly---in toils, in trials, agonies of endurance, wounds, and death---for that eminence of renown that henceforth came to it. Thereafter it was chosen for the posts most critical; without intermission it was used in every menaced situation, hurled into the bloodiest attacks. Season after season passed, and Scotland knew her heart's blood streamed in the tracks of that kilted corps d'élite. Again and again its personnel was changed beyond recognition; its component regiments were repeatedly cut down by casualties to little more than cadres; there were desolating roll calls that seemed dreadful to the survivors of the shattered lines assembled after fierce engagements, and meant, for Scotland, anguished valleys, stricken little towns. But the terrible blanks were filled as soon as they were created; Scotland, to the last, sent drafts of gallant manhood from the same shires to uphold the reputation of a Division that was now her special pride.

"Wherever the battle rages hottest, there is the Fifty-first," wrote an English correspondent. "The French now talk of it with almost religious fervour." In July of 1918, said the same writer, "it walked across a valley swept by a thousand machine guns, stormed Marfaux, and clinched the German defeat." Not once or twice in the war he had heard officers say, "Thank God, the Fifty-first are next to us!" Another correspondent reported that in a document captured "the Germans placed the Fifty-first first in formidableness on a list of hard-fighting British divisions."

There was for our Allies, the French, no more famous British division; for the peasantry behind the lines no more portentous appearance than that of those kilted troops, whose presence in any quarter, they had learned to know, meant imminent battles, critical hours. Even the enemy seemed impressed by the Fifty-first's ubiquity and stubbornness; their aviators one time dropped a message over it---"Good old Fifty-first ! Still sticking at it."

For a while it was not in any close engagements, though it met with some serious casualties. It was in reserve for the Second Battle of Ypres, and at Richebourg in May 1915. At Festubert the Division, which had moved into the neighbourhood of Estaires to be ready to support the operations of the First Army, was attached to the Indian Corps for operations at La Quinque Rue, with the Canadian Division on its right. In that battle the enemy was driven from a position which was strongly entrenched and fortified, and ground was won on a front of four miles to an average depth of six hundred yards. It gave Field Marshal French his first experience of territorial divisions, and he found them thoroughly trustworthy and efficient. The Fifty-first at Festubert lost 1,500 men.

For a month thereafter it took over the sector in front of Laventie, and on 26th July started on a long journey via Calais and Amiens to Méricourt on the Somme, where Lieutenant-General G. M. Harper took over the command from Bannatine-Allason in September.

It was the first time the peasantry of Picardy had seen the jupe courte---the kilt; it was destined to be almost as familiar to them as breeches long before the war was over. Round Bresles, and spread over a great area of the countryside, the Highlanders found billets in villages and farm steadings. Instantly they took a great hold upon the imagination and fancy of the inhabitants. There may not be much in the popular theory that the days of the "Auld Alliance" are still affectionately remembered, but the cordiality between the French people and these Highland troops was marked enough to be attributable to any kind of romantic sentiment. Probably it arose less from a knowledge of history books than from the freemasonry, so to speak, which must ever exist between all essentially country folks.

Picardy soon became rather knowing about the different tartars---Black Watch and Argyll, Seaforth, Gordon, or Cameron; it quickly learned to distinguish them more readily than do many folk at home.

But, after all, the most obvious reason for the unquestionable popularity of all the Highland corps was that they were quiet, sober, well-behaved, honest, and cheerful fellows. Their pipes brought up the dawn to the tune of "Johnny Cope," and at evening hamlets echoed with old mountain airs; wherever were the Highlanders there were, in hours of leisure, volunteers for the labour of the fields, and even for the humblest domestic offices of the simple Picardy people.

It was the most bitter period of the Somme offensive, and the Fifty-first, for all its grim earlier experiences, was at the very top` of its form, still largely composed of pre-war, non-conscript, old Scottish territorials. Its hour of éclat -came in the attack on Beaumont-Hamel, when, to the surprise of the Higher Command, it did what had not been expected of it.

The Battle of the Ancre, whereof the storming of Beaumont-Hamel was a vastly important operation, opened on November 13, 1916, at six o'clock on a foggy morning, after two hours' intense bombardment, which destroyed the greater part of the German wire entanglements. Behind a terrific artillery barrage three divisions advanced t o the attack, the Fifty-first being in front of Beaumont-Hamel, with the 63rd Naval Division on its right and the 39th Division on its left.

This latter fact, no doubt, accounts for the Fifty-first being the only Division to go back immediately into the line again.

In the end of November it took over from the Canadians trenches at Courcelette, between Albert and Bapaume, that were the worst it had ever experienced---up to the waist in mud throughout the whole period of occupation. Then, finally, the Highlanders left the valley of the Somme. Their task in that stricken plain was done. Well might their pipes play vaunting airs as they turned their backs upon it; to many, however, "Farewell to the Somme" was a lament---for comrades young and gallant to be left behind commingled with the soil of the France of whose beauties they had witnessed nothing, only great fields unspeakably foul and mutilated, the débris of towns and villages. No fewer than 8,000 men of the Fifty-first were lost in the struggle for this dreadful valley; their graves are thick in Picardy.

"We all know the Fifty-first !" said King George with significance, when visiting his troops at the front in March. His Majesty on that visit paid many compliments to those men whom the Germans had placed at the head of the list of British divisions most to be feared as Berühmte. H.D."Its deeds will be memorable in the history, not only of the war, but of the world," said the Prime Minister.

After the Armistice, until reduced to cadre and sent home for disembodiment, the Division remained around La Louvière, in Belgium, between Mons and Charleroi

Speaking in Glasgow University in 1919j the French President, M. Poincaré, took the opportunity of making special reference to the Division.

"The 51st Division," he said, "which had won everywhere the admiration of the Allies, signalized itself in 1915 at Festubert, where it lost 1,500 men; in 1916, on the Somme, where it lost 8,500 men, and on the Ancre, where it lost 2,500 men; in 1917, at Roeux, where it lost 3,000 men; in Flanders, where it lost in two battles 2,500 men; round Cambrai, where it took Havrincourt, Flesquières, Fontaine-Notre-Dame, and lost 2,500 men; in 1918, in the section of Morchies-Bapaume, where it lost 5,000 men and was honourably mentioned in the dispatches of the Commander-in-Chief; and, lastly, in the month of July 1918 amidst the French armies of Champagne, where it bravely attacked the Huns before Reims, and lost again 2,000 men. How many valiant Scots are thus lying on the soil of France, after fighting for the common ideal of both our nations ! To the mothers and widows of those heroes I give the assurance that their image will ever be engraved in the memory and the heart of my country, and that the French women will take care of their graves as if they were those where their husbands and children are sleeping". From: http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/memoir/docs/51st/51st1.htm

DIVISIONAL AMMUNITION COLUMN

LOADING UP AT DUMP.

THE ammunition dumps in France and Flanders were carefully chosen, with special regard to accessibility and protection from enemy observation. On a demand for ammunition being received from a battery, the Divisional Ammunition Column wagons, which were always full, proceeded to deliver the ammunition to the battery concerned, returning to the dump to refill, and proceeding then again to the guns or to the Divisional Ammunition Column. The work was usually done at night, especially in Flanders, where the absence of hills rendered observation possible at considerable distances. The work was at all times hazardous, and especially so when a "strafe" was in progress, as the ammunition had to be delivered at the guns at all costs.Names of Men appearing in the Sketch:--- Brigade Sergeant-Major F. Shepherd; Sergeant A. M'Dougall; Drivers A. Duncan, R. Douglas, J. A. M'Phail, W. Thomson, F. Murray, and T. Cairns. From: War Sketches by Fred A. Farrell, http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/memoir/docs/51st/51st1.htm

post-3199-1129257864.jpg

Jimmy,

I am assuming the Base Camp was at Etaples or Paris Plage. Early training for the 1916 offensive?

Arthur also gives a view of how easily pleased a soldier could be after life up the Line ... "My office consists of a tent, all the way from India. It has double walls & is as warm as one could desire. I have got a brazier in it when required & with burning coak in it, it gives off no smoke at all, I can have hot buttered toast for my breakfast & tea every day." He must have felt like a Lord. It is also obvious his strong faith is never far from his thoughts.

Also I thought his words underlined how important the YMCA were during the Great War in offering something a little different in way of recreation.

Keep up the good work in bringing Arthur back to life.

Jon

Jonathan

Arthur was fortunate for a time, in respect of the fact he was RFA/Ammunition Column, yet it could be a very dangerous job. "The work was at all times hazardous, and especially so when a "strafe" was in progress, as the ammunition had to be delivered at the guns at all costs". Seems his good fortune would continue, as noted by him on the letter 2/20/1916.

Jimmy

France

Jan 21st 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

As you will see from above, I am writing two days ahead of my usual time, but since receiving your dear dear letter of 30th Dec today, I feel that I must write you tonight. You say that you "can't help feeling terribly disappointed in me". I deserve your reproach Margaret, but oh! darling you have "struck one of my tenderness chords" if I may put it that way; I did not mean to be neglectful, dear one, & I pray you to forgive me. After I had said "Good bye" to you at Cathcart Margaret, when I got up stairs, to my bed in Weirs works, I vowed because of your dearest promise to me that you were coming back to me, I made up my mind that I would never be the first to cause pain of any kind & here I am; just over the head of being careless; I have offended you. Then in the next page, you refer to the bit in my letter about us having ices at the Sale of Work & you say I wonder if you will ever see me home again? Who knows? My love! have I offended you & seemed to forget about you. Oh darling, if you only knew what your faithfulness means to me, I am simply living in your dear letters & the very thought that I may have done wrong to you, makes me feel wretched. Darling it's the last thing in the world, I would do, is to offend you. You take too big a part in my life, for anything like that to happen. I felt guilty at the time Margaret, but as I explained, I started on more than one occasion, but between visitors & visiting I got no chance at all.

Now darling I have perhaps written a little bit foolishly, but with being here, away from the boys, I have been a bit "bluish" & your letter has made me feel as if I had been really wicked, but I can only ask your pardon sweetheart, & if I have managed to make it up at all, it will be a long long time darling before I ever give you cause to be same again. I am more than pleased that you appreciated my taking Mary out & it was very pleasant for me too, I felt that as well as pleasing her, I was doing your wish & it is that I am always trying to do. It is you, dearest that keeps me straight. There is many & many a time, I have not done a thing, just because unconsciously, Margaret has told me not to. Oh! dearest if I could only put into words, how continuously you are in my thoughts. Yes, I too was very pleased about Mr. Hepburn giving me that money & with the rest I took home it is "sunk" & it is for your benefit darling that I hope & wish to make use of it. I got the stamps back alright Margaret & will take good care, I am not so careless with them this time.

Glad you are "friends" with Andrew once more. I had a letter from him a few days ago & he was telling me he had received one from you & he seemed to be very pleased too. By the bye, I will tell you a secret, mind now. I have an idea Andrew has spotted someone, but I am not quite sure yet, but the joke is, that her name is Margaret too. She is an Oban girl & a great friend of Isa Bissett. He met her about four or five years ago, when we were first time at Oban & she was in the same house as the Bissett's. When I was home, he asked me to go to the theatre with Isa Bissett & "a chum of hers", after a bit, I quizzed I B & found out what I have told you, of course don't say a word, it may be my imagination, but I don't think so. Yes, mother is taking it a little bit hard now & I am sorry to say she has not been keeping so well lately, but I think it is just worry & thinking about us. That is the only reason I am glad I am at the base. It has relieved her a bit; however I hope she will soon be alright again. I am glad you had a nice Xmas dinner, but it was very unfortunate, you catching cold on the way home & I hope you had quite recovered in time for your New Year dinner. These were very nice & handsome presents you got from your people & I am sure they will be just what a girl would wish for, and you say "they will look very nice in that "palace of ours", you dear dear girl, they will look simply charming.

Yes Margaret you are nineteen now, getting on gradually, but look at me, another four months & I will be 23, doesn't it seem to getting on too, and by the next May, let us hope & pray that the present state of affairs will be a thing of the past. What are the Americans thinking of the war now. I suppose you will have heard that Gallipoli has been evacuated & that we have landed an army at Salonica. We don't get any news here at all, except through the newspapers & there seems to be nothing very special doing just now at all. Dear Margaret I didn't manage to finish your letter last night. I have been thinking of you all day, & wondering what you were doing; the lore I have thought over my omitting to write to you, dear, the more I have felt I have wronged you. Now sweetheart I am not going to say anymore about it, and if you will just tell me that you forgiven me, it is all I ask & oh! darling you will, won't you? I don't think I have any more to say this time & I have really no news at all. I am still at the base & doing fairly well, altho' it is becoming very stale. I hope you are keeping well dear & have quite recovered from your chill. Give my best respects to all your family; goodbye just now dear Margaret, ever your own loving,

Arthur

France

Feb 6th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

Once again it is letter day & I have your most delightful letter to answer. I am so pleased you liked my photo. You seem to take to the mustache alright, but don't worry dear, it comes off as soon as I return to civilian life. My reasons of having it here are two in number, in the first place it is rather a job shaving every morning in cold water & out in the open every day, & perhaps you don't know, but the upper lip is the most difficult part to shave & in the second place one wants to look as old as possible, in the present position. It is very pleasing for me to read about your father being pleased too, Margaret. It is little things like that a chap likes to hear. Although you say you would not tell me too much in case I might get conceited, but I am quite well pleased with what you have told me. Then you say it is the first time I have told you I love you; well darling that's just terrible to think I have never done that, but oh! you know well dearie that I do & although I have never perhaps said it directly, I have done it tons of times indirectly & every other way possible & I will,for luck, just tell you again. I do love you Margaret & a great deal more than you will ever realize. Does that please you now, for it's a fact. I have had dinner since writing the above & have also got your dear letter of 19th Jan. It is a day or two early, but I have absolutely no objections to that. The worst of it is I will need to wait all the longer for the next one, but that sounds rather selfish, eh! That is a rather odd position to be writing in, Margaret, & I am much the same, but minus the fire. It is rather chilly too, the weather lately has been quite boisterous & we have had some very heavy rains.

You ask about a commission Margaret, well, between you & me, mind it's a secret, Mr. Wilson of Largs is trying his best to get me one just now. It is a complete secret outside the family & I am just waiting to hear how he has got on, & I will perhaps be able to tell you more later on. It does not bind me to be a soldier for good. I am so pleased you were pleased with Winnie's little gift, but I am not quite sure whether it was Winnie's or Mother's idea, I rather think it was mother, for she told me about it & hoped I was please. Of course I was, & it just let's you know dearest how you are thought of by Mrs. S. When I was home, mother was more interested in you than ever she was before. She was asking all about you & every thing else, and I can tell you I was more pleased than I can tell. My cousin Frank is back with his regiment once more & didn't even get home. Jim Brown has not been doing so well lately, poor chap, he's having a hard time. I don't think I have any news at all just now. I hope you are all well & happy. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

Feb 15th 1916

Dearest Margaret,

I have just five minutes to catch the post & so you will please excuse this short note. I have been shifting again and will tell you all about it next week. I am a day late in writing & hope it will be in time for the American mail. I am in a big town & enjoying life emenesly. Best love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

Feb 20th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I have had a regular treat this week. I got your letter of 26th Jan on Tuesday & today I got one - no/date - but the envelope is marked 3rd Feb & they are both addressed to No 28, which is quite ok. The first one, father put on in blue pencil, "Passed by Censor" J M Tavish 08406. I thought it was very smart, of course he didn't open it. What if he had? eh! dearie. Well as I told you in my very short note last week, I am shifted again. On Thursday the 10th, I was out with the rest on a route march & we did 12 miles & got back in time for dinner. Just as we got into camp. The Orderly Sergt called me out, & told me to pack up & be ready to move in a hour. Well I got my dinner & packed up, which did not take long & I spent 16 hours in the train battle truck with an inch between each board of the floor.

It was snowing hard & bitterly cold, so I can tell you dearie I was not sorry when it was over. Well I arrived here the next day and am now clerking in the General Head Quarters of the British Army in the field. Sounds alright eh! I have a dandy billet straw bed, the first since coming to France, except for the time when I had the feather bed for three weeks. I start work at 9 am to 12:30, 2 - 4:30 & 5:30 - 7 PM. It soons passes & would you believe it, I am becoming an expert typist. The grub is simply great, we had - today for example - breakfast, ham & eggs - dinner, roast, cauliflower & potatoes & custard & prunes. - Tea, bread butter jam, roasted cheese & raw onions chopped. Supper Bread & jam. Now my dear girl, did you ever hear of messing like that in war time. It nearly took my breath away when I first saw the menu. It just reminds me of civilian life, out to the office in the morning, home for dinner & tea, & have a daily paper every morning. We get the Paris edition of the Daily mail every morning. I don't know how long I may be here, as I may be going up the line again shortly. I am sorry dear I can't tell you all the ways & wherefores of the thing just now, but it will make another fine story after the war is over & I can write to you without the censor to bother me. I am glad you are still keeping well darling. I don't think I have answered much of your dear letters Margaret, but I have just five minutes to catch the post & will do so next week. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

GHQ

March 5th 1916

Sunday

My Dear Margaret,

I received your ever welcome letter today of 16th Feb, and I can tell you dearie I was indeed pleased to get it. It is the one you wrote in answer to my "rotten" blue letter a while ago. I was wild after I wrote it, dear and your reply, well Margaret is more than I expected to get, & it is an answer such as, I think only you could write. I am so glad darling you understood it was written in a fit of "blueness" & that you didn't take it too seriously. Of course your letters cheer me sweetheart, and that one has more so than usual. However, as you say dearie, it's all over & let's forget about it. I told you last week that I would probably be "up the line" this week, well I am not. I am still in GHQ & unless I keep my wits about me, I will stay here for good. My Colonel has written asking for me, to fill a vacancy & the lot here are wanting to keep me, as I know all the work & it would take some time to get a novice into the way of things, that was why they put me here; but I would prefer being up the line myself. I don't like the idea of doing my bit at the base, as a clerk, altho' some one must do it. I liked the open air life much better, even though there are not the comforts of down here, so by next week I might be able to give you permanent address.

I don't know whether I am going to be the first to tell you or not, Dearest, but I am sure you will be very sorry indeed to hear that poor George Henderson has been killed in action. The sad bit of it is, that he was home a fortnight previous & was out at church & everybody was commenting on how he had improved in health & everything else. He was caught by a sniper & died instantaneously, at least I don't think he lived at al. I feel very sorry for his people, with the eldest son in South America & the other one, Jimmie I think is his name, out here too. The old crowd is being sadly broken up & it just shows us, how we can never tell when our turn may come, but if we are only ready, dear, that is the main thing & we have nothing to fear at all. I am so pleased to hear that you are taking vocal lessons Margaret & I am sure that Mrs. Beremi will find she has a perfect pupil eh! I will be a perfect "dud" as far as music goes, but I think you will be able to make up for my "dudness". I will be frightened to try a piano I think, I am sure I have forgotten everything, by now. We got a piano into the billet last week, but I have not had a go at it yet, as there is a chap here who is an LRAM (London Royal Academy of Music) & FRCO (Royal College of Organists), he is simply delightful & one is frightened to risk anything yet, but I may try my hand some night, when no body is about. He plays all the pieces I used to like so well & get you to play. Some of his overtures are simply marvelous. Yes dearie, I will be proud of your singing some day I hope & even without that, if I can only get my one great desire, it will make me the proudest chap possible.

No Margaret you don't need to send me back that cutting I sent you. I kept it a long time & you can keep it, and just think that is from me & traveled over a good part of France with me, and I read it on more than one occasion. I kept it in my testament, beside a little stamp photo of you dear self, you gave me a long time ago. It is the one you had taken at a studio near the university, I do like it darling & although it is a bit soiled, I mean to keep it, as the first photo of you I received. Now Margaret, I don't think I have any more to write about just now, I am still getting along fine, mother wishes to be remembered to you, she was asking about you all in her last letter, when she sent on yours. She wrote a very short one as she wanted to catch the post, so as to let me get your letter quickly, very good of her, eh! I hope you are all keeping well & you, yourself, darling, are keeping bright & cheery. With all my loving,

Arthur

France

GHQ

March 11th 1916

Saturday

My Dear Margaret,

As you will see from the above I am starting this a day earlier than usual. To begin with I have nothing to do & as there has been no mail this week at all, I am going to be in a bit of a dilemma as to what to write about, and to try & write my usual amount, it may take me more than an evening. I have no news at all dearie, least I have some, but then again I could not risk putting it into a green envelope & cause needless trouble. What do you say eh! dearie. One thing I can tell you is I am still here. I am expecting word at anytime whether I am to go up or if I am to be kept here. The novelty of the place is wearing off now Margaret, and the office hours prevent us from going to any amusements. They all start at 5:30 & we don't knock off till 7 PM. Then the second house which goes in at 8 PM doesn't finish till 11:30 PM & we have to be in doors at 10 PM, so you see that manner of passing the time is impossible.

What I have done this last few evenings, is to write letters till about 8:30, then stroll into town about half an hours walk, & go to what is known as the "shebeen", why I cannot tell you, but it is a soldiers club affair & is run by wealthy English ladies. One can have quite a good tuck in there, boiled eggs etc, and by walking back again sort of round about, I get into the billet about a quarter to ten in time for my scratchier. That's the worst of here, Margaret, I can't go to the pictures & the only other thing I can see, the chaps do, is sit in cafe's all night & get rather "rocky", but if I am to be here for good, the summer nights are gradually coming round & I could be able to see the "sights" which are, as far as I can gather, fairly numerous. Well dearest here I am once more, today has been superb, the best day of the year, it has been really warm, with beautiful sunshine. After dinner I went for a ride in the tram, up a miniature mountain and got a beautiful view of the town, and I must say it looked pretty, and picturesque. As usual I was all on my "onio" & enjoyed the trip fine. After tea I went to a Sunday evening address, in on of the town halls. The speaker is an Irish man, a minister, and is really marvelous. He gives one of these addresses every Sunday, I won't go into the details of them, as they are given to men & are meant for them only, but darling, any chap who goes to one & does not come away a better fellow, is not human. They have done me more good than I can ever say & you can be sure Margaret, with thoughts of you darling & of what I hear on a Sunday evenings there, I can resist the awful temptations that exist in French towns. I won't say any more about that dear, but I like to tell you sometimes.

Well as the old saying goes "Wonders never cease". There was a mail today & what do you think I got, two letters, one from mother & the other from you. I was more than surprised to get them, for I did not expect anything seeing they had be so delayed. Your letter is of the 23rd Feb & a delightful one at that.Yes dear it's a good thing Miss K is a "dear old creature". I am pleased you have not "forgot" our confab about jealousy, and I will "beware", & watch that you have no cause. You ask what about the French girls. Well dearest in all sincerity, I wouldn't move a yard to have a look at or speak to one. Of course I don't say they are all the same. There's bound to be respectable French families, but I know nothing of them, although I have heard a lot. I am not the only chap who has been wild, when told I was just trying to get out of it. It's the same at home, people think we have a high old time with the French girls, but bar for "shopping" I don't think I have even spoken to one. "Shopping" means buying not only in town, but at farms up by & asking ones way etc. I think you understand me Margaret. Do you?

Yes I'll stick to my little piece of "Scotch" & as long as she is available nothing else will suit. Excuse me dearie, for the phrase. I am very pleased dear you won't take advantage of my abilities at washing etc & if you did, I'm sure I would make a mess of it, just to get off. You seem to be getting on splendid with your music, but I would like to see the faces you talk about. I think I would be trying to make you laugh, during your practice & perhaps it's just a good thing I am not there. Yes thank you, I will have some of that strawberry jam, I hope it's good. Now Margaret, I don't think I have anymore news just now, oh! one thing, don't ever again say anything about your writing, take my word darling, I will never wish for better, it's I, who should be offering an apology, but as usual I have an excuse up the line, one can't be bothered, at nights, being too particular, & here I have to be too particular with my books & papers through the day, that it is a treat to get rattling off ones mind & knowing that, the fair receiver does not object. Well I must stop sure sweetheart, it's now half past nine & I have to write to mother yet, & to get my supper & be in bed before ten, not much written, but a considerable amount when being done. So ta ta for the present Margaret. I hope you are all well & you are still as cheery as ever. With best love & kisses, your own loving,

Arthur

PS. I am sending another letter with some PCs, as I am not sure whether they will pass the censor or not, so mind & let me know if you get them complete.

France

GHQ

March 19th 1916

Sunday

My Dear Margaret,

I am not exactly in a writing mood tonight & I have got one of the nasty colds that I used to tease you about, and the continual coughing has given me a bit of a headache, so you will understand dearie if my letter is not up to the mark. I was at an address tonight, I think I have told you before; about the series that is being given every Sunday evening, well the hall was simply packed & I had to come out as I felt that I was disturbing the speaker & audience with the continual racket, besides feeling anything but comfortable myself with trying to keep it in. So I just came straight back to the office & have started my love letter about an hour earlier than usual. I had a letter from mother today, but there was none enclosed from you, she said she kept her letter back a day in case yours might turn up, but as it didn't arrive she sent her own on & promised to send yours immediately if it arrived.

So I have nothing to answer this week, but I must not grumble darling, as I have been remarkably lucky in getting your dear letters so regularly lately, for the mail it's self has been very irregular for the past fortnights. Perhaps I will have two to answer next week, one never knows. I got a little parcel sent out to you this week & I hope you will like it dearie. It's not much & can take the place of a birthday or New Year gift. I didn't have the chance then, but I thought, seeing I had the chance here, & might be away soon, I would just bet you know what I hadn't forgotten your birthday completely. I have been expecting to get back up the line for the last fortnight, but there has been nothing definitely fixed yet, they are wanting to keep me here, & my Colonel is wanting me back to the brigade & there they are, writing & corresponding & I really don't know what it will ultimately be, but will just need to "wait & see" patiently as Mr. Asquith says. Andrew was home last weekend, it wasn't much of a weekend however, he arrived home on Saturday morning & had to leave again on the Sunday night. I think it was a shame giving him so little, as , when he got back he was picked out & equipped for a draft of reinforcements & may be out here now too, for all I know. I am just waiting to hear & hope he gets on alright if he does.

I had a letter yesterday from Miss Matheson, the head typist in Aitken Lilburn & Cay's, & she was telling me, that she was taking up house keeping in July, so that will be another off the strength of the firm when I get back. I think it is a little bit foolish doing do just now, as her man will still be considered single as far as Lord Derby's scheme goes & if he is not on munitions work of some kind, he will be called up, by a months time at least. Well darling I don't think I have any more news just now. I hope you are all keeping well, & you my love, are in the best of spirits & health. I am fine, except for this bit cold, but it will soon be alright. I hope your new lot of "biddies" will turn out OK. I will stop now dear & send you my best love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

GHQ

March 27th 1916

Monday

My Dear Margaret,

I told you last week that I had received no letter to answer in my last letter, but sure enough it turned up the very next morning. It is dated 1st March & is a very very nice one too. Yes, thank you, my cousin is quite OK again, & is back down from the trenches again, this time not wounded, but training & drilling new drafts as they come out from England. He seems to like it all right, but expects to be sent back up again shortly. Jim Brown, at last is starting to improve gradually, he has been removed from his hospital which was in the centre of London & is now in the heart of the country, where, I do not know, but from what I hear from home it seems to be a beautiful place. It will do him a lot of good, the fresh air from the close atmosphere of London.

I am glad Mary sent Joe Mt. School's Roll of Honors & I am sure you would enjoy looking over it. Yes thanks, I got one too. If you look towards the end I think you will see Andrew name in "The too late list", it is just a page or so from the end. You mention about having commissions & ask how I am getting on with mine; well dearie, it is not definite yet whether I am to get back to my brigade or not & as long as I have the least chance of that I will hold my papers back, but if I get definite word I am to stay here, I think I will immediately put them forward. I am so pleased Margaret you were so successful with your first solo & I am sure it must have been delightful to hear it, oh! if I could only hear your dear voice once more, but we must just live on in hope, & pray that our wish may be granted. I wonder how much longer it's going to last. I am glad your father is keeping so well & he is getting some touches of grey in his hair, do you remember the color of father's, well I think it was even whiter when I was home last November.

It's fine your chickens are turning out so fine, & I hope too that you get "plenty of fried chicken in the spring". Do you see that mark on the "F" of fried, well that's my teeth watering. I had a parcel from home today & it contained a walnut cake with icing all round, do you remember the kind, I think you have tasted them, they are mother's own baking, well I just tell you this in the hope that I have made your teeth water too. See? Tit for tat's fair play you know. What do you think of the PC Margaret, it is my latest, I seem to have had quite a few taken of me since mobilization. This is our staff here & if you look in the row in front of me, think you will recognize Jammie Paterson. He comes from Mount & is in our brigade. They are all foreigners (English, Welsh & Irish), except seven of us, & we are nicknamed "Jock". A Scotch soldier always gets that name when among English ones, but I am an exception this time, as they have nicknamed me "Tod". I think it's after the footballer of the same name, with Sloan after it.

I think I mentioned to you last week that Andrew was perhaps for a draft, but they are still at home, he was as a reserve to the draft in case someone should not be able to go, & did not know till the time they left whether he was going or not, and after all he was not required. He was very much disappointed of course & as he said "He felt like having a good greet when he went away & he was left", but his turn will come in plenty of time. Well Darling I don't think I have any more news just now. I didn't think when I started, I would manage so much. I hope you are all well & you are keeping cheery & as bright as possible. I am still quite well & getting along OK, only a bit fed up with being away so long from the fun. I feel as if I am not much use here, but others (the boss) seems to think different, worse luck. Goodbye just now dear & with lot of love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

GHQ

April 2nd 1916

My Dear Margaret,

I think you must have sent some Jacksonville weather in your last letter, for this is the first time I have been comfortable today, 7 PM. We are getting weather like what we had last May when we came out first. Well I got your welcome and most interesting letter of 8th March, the day after I wrote my last letter. I am glad you got both my letters & no doubt the first short one missed the mail, as there is no saying when they get sent off after I post them. I am glad you are pleased with my new job dearie & I have been lucky in getting to stay so long, but by next week I may be back to my brigade once more, my Colonel has written again for me & I don't see how they can keep me here any longer, however I will tell you definitely next week. Yes the journey was a bit rotten, but it's the best that can be got here, glad you liked the word "grub" dear. You ask what make of typewriter I use, well there are two, the Oliver & Underwood. I prefer the Oliver best as it suits the work I do better, but the other is a much more up to date machine, I suppose you will know them both.

That was very decent of Guy's Officer acknowledging your letter, & I am sure you would be pleased to get it. No! the Daily paper we get is printed in English. It is the Continental Edition of the "Daily Mail". That's great news darling, that you may be home for a trip after the war, & oh I do hope you do. It would just make me the happiest chap on earth to go home & think that my own Margaret would be there shortly too. I think I will be able to talk for a week once I got started. I am glad you didn't object to father "censoring" your letter & of course he did not open it, by jove if he did, there would be "rows in the camp". You seem to be getting a perfect dab with your vocal abilities, but I am not surprised, so there. I knew it & told you time after time, but you just put me off, you dear girl. However I'll tell you, that I am so pleased & it was one of my dearest wishes that you would some day take lessons & if at all possible that I might be able to have the great pleasure playing an accompaniment to some of your beautiful songs.

I got quite a surprise yesterday, I got a letter, marked at the top "On Active Service" & who do you think it was from, well nobody else but Andrew. So he is out here now too & by his address I find that he is in the same base depot as the one I was in before coming here. It's a bit hard lines I am not there now, I might have seen him. However it can't be helped. He is now in the 16th HLI. I had a letter from mother today & she had just received a note from Andrew before leaving Ripon & is in a bit of a state, but I wrote back & told her as best I could that he was OK, but the thought of being in France seems to have upset her a little. That leaves only the two Brown's at home now & they seem to have so intentions of listing yet. I wouldn't mind giving the younger one a piece of my mind, it may seem wicked, to you Margaret, but with us here, these chaps are of the very worst possible type, and I can't tell you they will get a hot time of it when all the boys get home again, after the war. Well Margaret I don't think I have anymore news just now, I have just discovered a cousin of the Dewar's in Garnet here, he came a day or two ago & comes from Durham. He was in Garnet three months ago, so I have had quite an interesting confab. Well dearie goodbye just now, I hope you are still well & cheery, with all my love,

Arthur

Picture of Mary Harris

post-3199-1143305064.jpg

Arthur has been at GHQ, all his letter's have been censored, (unlike most from the front) and he chooses not to say much of what he's been doing. The following are the last few letter's written from the base, very soon Arthur will be back to his brigade, as the Battle of the Somme nears.

France

GHQ

April 16th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

I have just received your nice letter of 30th March nicely. I thought I was going to have nothing to reply to, but sure as ever your letter has arrived in time. I am sorry you had none to reply to "Margaret", but perhaps you will have two for next week, then I would have no objections if you found it necessary to write about "20" pages,in order to answer both. You see I am greedy enough to except any amount of pages. Yes dear you used to do a good deal of chattering when we were "friends", but later on somehow or another, especially when we were out together, you too, at times, and I got a good idea of your thoughts just by your silence. It'll be alright when we see each other again, we'll arrange it OK, you will have the next & a wee pickie more if necessary, eh!

Your fairly getting on with your music dear, at your second song & what a pretty one too. Do you remember the night, we were at the band in the Kelvingrove park, and that was given as a cornet solo, & you wouldn't tell me the words eh! I know them alright now dearest. I would like to hear you singing it. Then that one that is set to "Handel's Largo" should be very very nice indeed. You have a very good taste anyway Margaret, but fancy taking part in the recitals. You'll soon be another "Madame Patti". These tomatoes seem a bit of OK Margaret, wouldn't mind if I got my teeth stuck into one. Glad you had a nice night at the club Margaret & had a confab with that Scotchman, was he an engineer or Capt or Mate or what. I am sure his crack must have been very interesting indeed. Well I am still here, as you will see by now, and am just patiently waiting to see if anyone can be got in my place.

I have not had any word from Andrew since I last wrote you Margaret, and don't know whether he is still at the base or gone up, but I hope to have word from him soon. Winnie is keeping a lot better, but is still confined to bed, but the doctor expects to let her up on Saturday, that was yesterday, as mother's letter was written last Tuesday. She again wishes to be kindly remembered to you & hopes you are all well. There is a big concert coming off here on the 24th (Easter Monday) in one of the big theaters. A company of artists are coming out from England, for the occasion, and it promises to be a very good show indeed. I don't know whether I will be here for it or not, but wouldn't at all mind if I am. As it will be the first of it's kind I have seen in this country. I got word a day or so ago from home & Jim Brown is at last out of hospital, after eight months of it. He got home a week ago, but has only got 10 days at home & has to rejoin his regiment again. It doesn't seem very long does it. Well Margaret I don't think I have any more news just, it has taken me about an hour to this last page & a half. I hope you are still well dear & behaving yourself as usual. I am OK & as cheery as ever, with all my love, your own,

Arthur

128 Byers Road

Glasgow

April 16th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

I was very glad to receive your last letter with photos enclosed for which many thanks. It is so nice for me to have them,as it gives me an idea of how you are agreeing with the life out there, and you all look so happy too. Probably you will be thinking I might have answered your letter sooner than this, but what with having Isa and John to write to every week, you will understand how busy I am kept, and I am sure you will forgive me. Now that I have got started however, I will try and give you any news which I think will be of interest to you. I think when I wrote you last, we had just had John home, well he was home again, about six or seven weeks ago. His second leave was quicker in coming than his first. Needless to say we were awfully delighted to have him, and as we kept him confined to the house more this giving ourselves more of his company, and he seemed to have more of a rest this time, which is what they really need. He did not say very much about the war, as I suppose they will want a sort of respite from it when they are home, but all the same he seems to be of the opinion that it will be a very big undertaking to attempt to break through the enemy's lines, as they are so well rooted to there ground. However he is living in the hope of something being done in the spring. How I do wish it was all over Margaret, but we must cheer up and keep the home fires burning for the boys sake what say'st thou? John's discharge is due in August, having put in five years of service, but he is a bit undecided as to whether he should take it or not. I think he ought to take it, but mother and I are leaving it to himself.

Ross Wallace is taking it this next month and coming home, so it is likely John will do likewise when his time comes. Isa is now nursing in Lord Derby War Hospital, Warrington, in England, and is having a very good time of it. She is called a Sister now so is feeling quite proud of herself, and I may say we are equally as proud of her. I am sure if you were writing to her, she would probably write back to you, and give you some idea of her work. She has been sown there for about three months, and we get a letter from her every week, which helps to keep us cheery. When John was home she managed to get three days home, so you can imagine what a jooy time we did have. She was looking very well, and had on her uniform which is rather swanky. In her last letter she was telling me that she is getting awfully fond of the boys and loves so much to mother them. Fancy our Isa mothering them. I am sure some of them will be much older than she. I was asking her if I could come down and sister them, eh what! She has made some nice friends among the other sisters, and has chummed up especially with a little Irish girl. It was rather funny too, Angus had two boy friends, who had been out-in Gallipoli with him, in the hospital, so of course Isa was able to have them up when she went there. Angus has now quite recovered, and is looking better than ever he did. I showed him your photos, and he said when I was writing, I had to give you his kindest regards. He is back to his work again, and come up to 128 for his dinner each day. He misses John and Ross very much, and will be glad to have them both back beside him again, I have no doubt.

You were asking me to give an account of myself. Well there is little to be said, except that I am still as great a talker as ever I was, but you will have come to that conclusion yourself, judging from my letters I expect. Still it is an advantage to have a gift of the gab at times, isn't it? I am still in 45 West Nile Street and am very happy there too. Major Kyle is over in France now, and in the very thick of the fighting. My hair is now up, and I feel quite a big lassie now what! If I ever get a photo taken of myself I will certainly send you one, and you can judge for yourself how I am looking, and whether I have changed much. Mother is keeping very well, and wishes to be remembered to you all. I do hope girl you will write soon. and if you get any more photos taken, I will be delighted to have one. With much love, I remain your sincere friend,

Annie

France

GHQ

May 7th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

You will be thinking me the biggest story teller going. How often have I told you that My next letter would be written "up the line" & every time so far it has not been so. However I am to blame myself this time, I would have been away the beginning of last week, but Jimmie Paterson is going up to and sooner than he expected, so the Major here allowed me stay for a few days longer & we will both travel up together & the present arrangement is that we go off on Tuesday sometime. Well dear I got your letter of 13th April yesterday and was very pleased to get it too, for I am afraid I was not going to get it before I left, it was due about the beginning of the week, but better late than never eh! and with a little bit of luck I might get another before I leave. I am sorry dearie you had none to answer, even altho' the mailman came when you were in the middle of your letter, and still you got nothing. I hope you have got it by now, you mention about being put off your usual, as your daily routine, had been a little upset. I know fine how it seems like all thumbs & no fingers sort of style. However I am sure Margaret you must be a great assistance to your father with your typing abilities & keeping his books. You will be a sort of private secretary, aren't you? It is a fine healthy sign, that Jax is having so much work and I hope your father will be able to get a right good share of it.

I had a letter from father the other day & he was saying there is plenty of work to be got out, but he is finding great difficulty in procuring the necessary kinds of timber. There are certain woods that the government has prohibited owing to the shortage of shipping facilities and he has to do the best with what kind of wood he can get. I am so pleased to hear about your new house, and Darling you seem to be so proud of it too, it makes me wish I could come & see it for myself, you will need to get your friends camera and send me a snap-shot of it. Yes Margaret, your father is quite right about the plaster being dry, when we went top No 28, we stayed with the Wilson's at Eildon Villas for two months after we had "removed". You seem to be a bit of a dab at hat manufacturing, is it milling you call that species of work? I used to do a little in that line myself, fancy a boy doing that, but it was on a very special occasion. It was one night before a minstrel concert and I had a couple of hours at it and enjoyed it quite well.

Yes Margaret I know the "Land o' the Seal" alright, but only one setting, I don't think the new setting will beat the old one, but you don't say what one you prefer. Isn't that the second one of "Tosti's you have got now. I told you last week that I had not had word from Andrew, well yesterday I had a very short note from him & he is still OK, but says he is fed up with the trenches already & I am not surprised. Artillery is bad enough, but the infantry is ten times worse. He is out resting now & is enjoying the change very much. Well Margaret I don't think I have any more news just now, I won't promise this time where I will write my next letter, but will let you know when I do. I am OK & looking forward to getting back again to the bhoys. I hope you are well, goodbye just now darling, with all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

May 9th 1916

Tuesday

My Dear Margaret,

I got your very welcome letter of April 17th today. The one you sent home. You talk about our letters being censored. Well would you believe it, yours was opened by the censors & sealed up again. I wonder what the idea is? Well Margaret I've been here for over a month now & honestly I don't care when it's finished. At present were having quite a decent time for we're a bit back, but I do not like the trenches. As you say I could tell you a great deal, but Mr. Censor would not pass it. I've not run across Arthur yet, but by luck I may see him sometime soon. I got my photo taken before leaving Ripon, & I left instructions for them to be sent on, but so far they have not turned up, but if they do I'll promise one for you, even suppose I'm not recognizable. May I venture to ask if you've any recent ones of yourself, I would like one of you very much. By the way my address is 26357 AHS 6 Platoon/B Coy/16 HLI/BEF, c/o GPO London, & I hope to hear from you soon. Have you heard that poor old Elphie Forrest has gone, he was not very far from where we were & he was on a voluntary post at the time. Well Margaret it's just about lights out, so I close promising to write soon again. Give my kind regards to all & best love to you self,

Yours Andrew

Picture of Margaret & her brother John

post-3199-1143305751.jpg

France

Field

May 16th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

At last I am back to the brigade once more. I arrived on Sunday evening, after a nice 25 hours in the train. When I got here it was simply pouring & yesterday wasn't much better, but today is beautiful. There is not a cloud in the sky & the sun is so nice & warm. Well darling, I am so happy to get back among the boys again & the old mud, before I went away I continually was grumbling about the living, but after three months base working you won't get me back there in a hurry again if I can help it. I have John Strang under my care & he is OK & getting "a fine strapping laddie". My address now is Headquarters 1/3 Highland Bde, but it you don't mind dearie, you might please still send my letters home, as I expect the name of the brigade is going to be altered & I will let you know it whenever it's official, then there is no chance of any of your dear letters going amissing. I got another doze of inoculation today, as it is over eighteen months since my last one & I expect to get the second lot in another week.

Well Margaret your last letter was dated 20th April & I got it a day or so before leaving & for the first time it was opened by the censor, some where in England, I expect all the American mail was treated likewise, as Andrew was telling me he had a letter from "Maggie" & it had been opened by the censor. I think the Ireland affair is to blame for that. Yes thanks, dear, Andrew is still OK & was out resting the last I heard from him. When he was at Ripon, I wrote & told him if he was ever "hard up" to let me know, for you know an infantry private does not get very much, well the week before I left I had a note from him, asking if I had any spare five France notes, and do you know darling I was as near crying as ever I was, I felt so sorry for him, he said they got some fine fried eggs & chips in a house near by & he wanted a decent feed before going back to the trenches. I sent him some & dear, I can't say how happy it made me to be able to send something to cheer him up. Now Margaret you mustn't think me blowing about this, but I felt I must tell you, & I didn't want to tell mother, she worries about so little nowadays.

So you had an aeroplane over your house, well there's never an hour passes here without seeing "umpteen", do you understand that? (draws arrow towards umpteen) Yes dearie, I remember our day at Scotstown fine & I too many a time wish for all these old days once more, but we must just live in hope, dear one, & if we are spared, well, we will have two years at least to "make up". I can tell you, you must not get the blues you speak about Margaret, just you try & think what joy we will perhaps have before very long. You say to scold you for writing like that, well sweetheart, I am scolding you verbally just now for all I am worth, so will that do, but I couldn't for all the worlds scold you on paper. Yes dear a sail would be a bit alright, but as you say, it would probably do you more good later on, when the hot weather is over. Yes dearie that's a terrible trouble, I am so glad you/are always thinking of me, but love you must try & not worry. I often have that sort of hopeless feeling, but we have just to make the best of it & things will turn out OK. I have now got my desires of 3 or 4 months ago & they have even turned out better than I had hoped for. I can't tell you about it now, but when the days of the censor are over, I will tell you all about it. Well darling I must stop now & mount my guard, excuse the awful scrawl please, as I have done most of it standing. I hope you are quite well & give my kindest regards to all, goodbye just now darling, with all my love, your own,

Arthur

France

May 28th 1916

Sunday

Dearest Margaret,

If ever a boy was blessed with a faithful loving girl, it's me. If I had only a hold of you now, well I don't know what I would do. Today I received your letter of 4th May, along with the parcel and also such a long letter of the 10th May. Darling I can only thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so good at remembering me so well. Your pretty little present is simply beautiful, but I think I will send it home, as here I would only waste it, and that is the last thing I want to do. Your lovely hair brush & comb etc. that you sent me at New Year are still going strong & in daily use. I don't know what I did without them before, of course I have not much to make a shed or curl with, but never the less, I always feel better if I go through the process.

Then the photos are just charming and what I have longed for, John has not changed one bit, but you darling, seem different, you certainly look older, I like the one of you & John together best, it's the same dear face & I can just fancy, I see you looking at me, oh! if it were only true. The single one is very good too Margaret, but I must say I prefer the one of you together. I think it is the style of your hair that makes you seem older, for it's so different from the old Mount days. I have looked at them both times without number & compared them, & I think I know every detail by heart. What color was your dress dear. Am I right saying white. I am so glad that Joe's little boy is getting on so well,mother is always asking about him every time she sends on your dear letter. Joe seems to have been a great success in his opera, it reminds me of the time when he was in the St. Mungo Opera. I saw him once at the Princess, the only amateur opera I was ever at. I think it must be six years ago at least. What changes since then, Margaret. It is very nice that you like that Irish family so well, and I am sure you will like their sort of "semi-narrow-mindedness", you know the real "American" style that you have told me about. I hope you will keep your good old Scotch ways darling, and altho' I have no objection to a little broad mindedness in it's place, I want you to be still the same Margaret as of old when you come back to me.

Yes dear it was very good of Mary sending you that cutting about the "Baby" Battery & I am sure you would enjoy reading it & will treasure it very much. I had a letter from her two days ago & very cheery she is keeping, in spite of the present times at home. She also sent me a PC photo of herself & it was very good indeed, I expect she will have sent you one too. What do you think of the proposed wedding this summer, it's high-time, as you say, but I think it rather a pity it didn't come off before the war, for I don't think Jimmy is exempt from being "called up" unless it is being celebrated beforehand, in case he is called up, for you know conscription is through now & every one between nineteen & forty one is to be compelled. There is one whom I am waiting to see & that is George Brown, he is out of Weir's now, we don't know whether he left or got the "go", but anyway he is now working in the Fruit Bazaar in the Candleriggs. Can you believe it, I wonder if he has the cheek to walk about in the daylight. Yes if I ever get "blighty" I will try for Lord Derby's Hospital & see if I can get into Nurse Logan's ward, but I hope I won't have the occasion to be sent home that way, although sometimes one gets so fed up, that one almost prays for a nice piece of shrapnel in the leg or some such place, but I am not very often like that Margaret, so don't worry. I had a short note from Andrew about a week ago & he is back in again after nearly a fortnight out.

Thanks very much for our good wishes dearie & I too would not be the least sorry if we are all back to our homes by the time it comes round again, but "I hae ma doots". The latest prophesy I heard, from "one who knows; is, 1920 will see the finish of this "slight upheaval". Then your lovely long letter of 10th May, a whole fourteen pages, you seem to be having "some" heat just now, we are getting it very warm to, but I don't expect it will be quite as warm as with you. I'd like to see you hunting these mosquitoes at night, and as you say, with a camera into the bargain. Well dearie you managed to keep a "steady head" at your first recital, I am sure you will be as proud as punch now and your teacher will be as proud of you too. They seem to be very nice songs, but I can't say I know them, however it's something else in store for me. Now dear Margaret, I must stop as I have only five minutes for the post. I hope you are all well & you sweetheart are keeping well & cheery, your dear letters are always so cheering anyway. I am feeling champion, it's such a change from the office work at the base. Will all my love & ta ta just now sweetheart, your own loving,

Arthur

Mt. Florida

Glasgow

May 30th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

Very many thanks for your welcome letter which I received last week. I was just longing for some news from you, & I can tell you Margaret, I did appreciate your letter. This is Tuesday evening, & as I have nowhere to go, I thought I'd get some letter writing done, as I've had to let my correspondence stand by for a few days lately. We are all over with annual stock taking, & of course can so nothing else in the shop just now, but work. First of all, I must thank you very very much for the photo's. I think they are just splendid, although I do like that one taken with John best. Your hair is just beautiful, but I think that style makes you look older. You have not altered one bit Margaret, & are just the same dear wee lassie as when you left Scotland. Your frock & hat are lovely, & so are your shoes, & I can guess from your photo how "tricky" you will look in reality.

John has grown older-looking since I last saw him, but otherwise he doesn't seem to have changed. I think his Panama is awfully "Toney". Do you remember how you used to praise a thing by saying "It's not "swanky" but it's "toney"? I am so glad that the new baby is such a dear. Who is he going to be like, or is it too soon to know yet? Yes dear I feel sure that Guy does know all that is going on, both at Jax & here, & I know that he loves his wee namesake, although he cannot be near him to let you all see how much he cares. You will know by this time that another of our boys has fallen in the battlefield. Didn't I tell you how well Elphie Forrest was looking when he was home on leave. He hadn't been back in the trenches five days when he was killed by a shell. Now I just tread any of our boys coming home, for I think they must get careless after they go back.

I am so sorry for poor Mr. Forrest, he looks years older since he got the news, but that is not the only grief he has to bear. It seems that Mary was away from home a few days before they got word of Elphie's death, & she has never returned yet. She was always rather wild you know, but I think she should have more consideration for her father at a time like this. You ask if Belle or Mary Watt have boys yet. Well Margaret, I'm sorry to disappoint you by saying "No". Of course they may have one or two at the front, but I hae ma doots! I believe Charlie Watt is coming home soon for his commission. He is to be made an officer in the 3/9th Glasgow's, who are stationed at Ripon just now. I wonder if he'll be home in time for Annie's wedding. I heard last week that Alex Dougans is to be married early in June in the Caudlish Memorial Church. He is in the Glasgow Highlanders also, & he is expected home from England next week, so I think he ceremony will be performed then. I don't even know his fiancé name, but Lennie told me that she was "some peach". Alice White & Charlie Stewart are to married on 22nd June in the Burlington. Charlie is a Staff Sergeant-Major in the A.S.H. & Alice is going down to his was station in Essex to live in furnished rooms until after the war.

Carrie & Hugh B. have got an invitation & folks say that when there is one wedding another generally follows it, but well that is another thing, I hae ma doots about. Did I tell you Geo Brown is now working in the Fruit Bazaar? I am so glad dear that you are getting on so well with your singing & I am sure your teacher will be delighted with your voice. I can guess you would be quite shaky when singing your duet with Joe, but I'm sure it would be a great success. Did I tell you that Louie is now out at business? She is a clerkess in a big office in town, an oil & colour merchants, but she hasn't made much use of her lessons at shorthand & typing, as she has nothing but clerical work to do, but she may get a chance of that later on. She is at the real "flappery" stage just now, & is apt to give herself awful airs, but Sidney & David don't give her much chance for that sort of thing. I'm glad to hear that Jim is getting along so well. He is just at the age to pick up all the slang that is going, but there's something's nice about the Yankee slang; somehow it doesn't sound so vulgar as our Glasgow slang does. No I'm glad to say that the Zepps as yet haven't arrived our length & I think they will keep away until the summer is over. You would read of this Summer Time Bill which has been brought in, in order to save coal & gas during the summer. We have had to put our clocks forward one hour, go to bed an hour earlier & rise an hour earlier in the mornings. It doesn't make much difference to us, except that we have a nice long sunny evening now after we shut the shop at 8, & on Saturday when we closed it was broad daylight, as I write it is 9:30 on the clock, but in reality it is just 8:30. I had a letter from Jack today, & he expects to go back into the trenches in a few days. It makes me quite sick to think of him going back there, but I suppose I shouldn't complain for he has had five months away from the firing line,but all the same we can't keep from worrying. Charlie (Harris) was home from England last week, & oh Margaret, I wish you could just see him, he has grown so tall & broad since he started training again, that you'd hardly know he was the same boy. We've had no word from George (Harris) for some time now, but the mails from Egypt are very uncertain & we know he is safe, so we don't worry.

I had a nice wee note from Arthur last week, he seems well & happy since he went up the line. Andrew to seems to be in the pink. I had a note last week from him also, he told me that he'd had a nice letter from you, telling him about the baby, Margaret dear, I will finish this just now, but will add some more tomorrow for it is now suppertime. It is now Friday Margaret, & the first time I've had a moment to spare since I had to break off your letter on Tuesday night. I sent off the two books of songs on Wednesday, & I hope they suit alright. It seems there are no new Harry Lauder's songs, but the girl in the shop told me that Scotch book was he's latest. The Scotch book was 1/6 & the other 1/ so that leaves 1/8 which I shall be delighted to add to the funds, & for which I must thank you very much. And remember Margaret you are not to speak of bother, for it is no trouble at all to one to do those small things for you & any time you wish anything sent out, just let me know, & I shall be delighted to do all I can. You were asking in your note about Arthur George. Well I still hear from him every week. He has been made a Lance corporal now. I had a group photo from him last week, & I was pleasantly surprised when I saw what he was like. He is clean shaven, & has a nice strong good face, in fact, Ma says he is like a nobleman! But he isn't quite that.

Mr. Ogg is home from France now, & was in the pulpit on Sunday. He gave a very nice address, & it was quite nice to hear him again. He told us we were never never to neglect our correspondence with the boys at the front, for he say's if the folks at home only knew with what eagerness the soldiers look forward to their mail, & how heart-sick they get when no word comes from home, we'd neglect our other duties in order to show the boys that we are still thinking of them. I have a photo of Jack & one of myself for you, but I have left them both at home. However I shall send them off tomorrow along with the sketches. That photo of Jack was taken over a year ago, & he has changed very much since then, for he has grown taller & is much broader, he is also cultivating a moustache, & say's he can now twirl it, but well I haven't seen it yet. I'm sorry I couldn't send you one of his later ones, but they are all gone. Well dear, I must now stop, I am glad to know that you are all keeping well & happy, & that your father is so much better. Give my love to them all in Jax, & extra lot to yourself & the baby. Try & write soon again, for I do love your letters,

Your Sincere Friend,

Mary Harris

The Battle of the Somme will take it's toll on the "gang"

WATT, CHARLES GEIGER

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th (Glasgow Hdrs.) Bn.

Date of Death: 15/07/1916

Service No: 3547

Additional information: Son of John and Mary Garson Watt, of 8, King's Park Avenue, Cathcart, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 15 C.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

To the boys ("gang") October 1914 Rev. Ogg

post-3199-1143255172.jpg

France

June 5th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

I am a day late to begin with and as far as I can see, will probably be another, as I have just to snatch moments here & there to add a little bit to my correspondence all this week. I haven't written a decent note home this week, but it can't be helped Margaret, and I am sure you will excuse me under the circumstances. I have no letter this week so far, so will just need to do my own news.I could tell you bags, but the old sensor would put his foot in it, by the way have you had many of my recent letters opened by the base censor, your last five or six have been opened before they reached no 28, but the last one was not, however that's nothing dearie & don't let that bother you at all. I am not bothering at all about mine, as I don't know who it is, that opens them, as it is not my own officers & that all I care. I had a note from Miss Matheson of AH&Co yesterday, and what do you think she has arranged about her marriage. Owing the shortage of the staff with this conscription affair, she has consented to stay with AH&Co after her wedding & just have a fortnight or so for her honeymoon. It seems rather funny, doesn't it dear. How would you like to go back to MM&Co after you had "done it". I don't think you would be in favor of that? eh! Mr. Ogg is back to his fireside once more and from what I hear, he is jolly glad to get back again, he hadn't what you would say, to rough it, at all, but then I think he has been too long with very little to do & his pipe & fire always ready for him.

June 6th

Dear Margaret,

I have just had my dinner and was coming along the road & he stopped & gave me a letter, it was mother's writing on the envelope, but inside was your dear letter of 18th May. I was pleased to get it darling and I expect my next one will be addressed here direct. I am sorry you had none to answer dearie, but you have done remarkably well without one to answer. It was opened by the censor & mother is sympathizing with me & said it was a shame to open these letters, but then there's no use grumbling it has to be put up with. I am glad "your" little boy is keeping so well & see you don't be spoiling him. He will be the well off boy & I hope he will keep well healthy & see & take good care of him as his auntie should. Yes what do you think about Annie Watt & J.Dougan, but why "Poor things" eh! Yes I expect poor Jimmie will be glad when it's all over. It must be an awful ordeal having in church, I don't envy that bit. I am very sorry to hear you have not been so well darling, I wonder what can be wrong. You try the tonic as your mother say's but as for the one you say would cure you, well sweetheart, I very often, feel as if I'd like to have it myself. It seems hard dearest, but we must just be patient & in the long run, things will perhaps work out just as we would desire. I know fine what you mean Margaret.

Your new house seems to be going to turn out a regular topper. Oh! how I would like to see it & you in your "boudoir", is that correctly spelt. It's the first time I think I've written that word. Then about that new job, well I can only congratulate your father on getting it & may he get as many more as he can manage. You will be very pleased yourself Margaret, and I hope your father will have the health to carry it out to the very end. I am glad that your mother is keeping so well, the climate seems to be agreeing with her AI, but I expect it's more than the climate that has to do with her happiness. You ask if I am well & thinking my little girl, well as far as health, I was never better, I think it's the change after life at the base, and for the other part, well I was sitting on such a nice piece of grass with you last night, when I was writing the first part of this letter, and you did everything but talk to me. I had your photo, you see. I do love it darling. You say Andrew has not written to you yet, nor has he to me either. I am going to give him socks in my next letter. Well dearie I must stop now as I have to parade in five minutes. I hope you are well now & all the others too. Goodbye just now darling, with all my love, your own,

Arthur

France

June 11th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

Sunday evening once more, and I am once more starting my weekly epistle to my sweetheart. Well darling I have had no letter this week so far, so will just need to start & do the best I can to write my usual amount. To night is the first time for nearly a fortnight, that I have really had an evening to myself, and I feel more at ease writing this letter than I have done with most of my others since coming here. I had always to put a bit in here and add another bit there & I am sure some of them will give you a bit trouble tracing what's what. however dearest, I am sure you will overlook these bits, seeing they were written under these circumstances. I had a short note from Andrew yesterday, I was getting a little bit anxious about him, but I suppose he will be the same about me when I am longer than usual in writing. You may think it a wee bit funny, but since he has come out here too, we seem to have drawn closer than ever to each other. I expect it's because we were never before separated, but there seems a very different feeling between us, and oh! I am so pleased about it.

In mother's last letter, she was telling me that Walter Paterson had been home, and looked a regular taff, with his brass buttons etc. & white cap. He is in the navy, perhaps you didn't know dearie. His people were so pleased he was home at that special time, as I suppose you will now have heard, there was a big naval battle & there was no saying, but what he might have been init. I have just got the old pipe a going since the last paragraph. It is till to the fore Margaret, and in as good condition as ever. It has been a good friend to me and has proved it's good make. Do you remember the night you gave it to me darling, I can remember it as well as if it was yesterday and oh! I was so proud of it. It was the first present I had ever had from a young lady, bar my own relations. When I got home I showed it off so much that father wanted it, saying he would start it & get it into working order for me, but there was nothing doing, not at all. It has smoked every kind of tobacco under the sun, I think, and on two occasions, I had tea in it for want of tobacco. Father, Mother & Winnie are going back to Oban this year again, I suppose Father had a great deal of difficulty in getting Mother to consent to go, but I am very pleased that she is going, as it is the very best thing that she could have. I don't expect she will enjoy it much, but all the same it will so her a world of good, although she won't probably know it.

Well dearie I didn't manage to finish this, after all, last night. Today is simply a rotten day, it has rained nearly all day, and the mud is appearing as quick as it can. I have got the cutest little pup you could imagine. One of the boys had a dog & it presented him with five little beauties about a month ago. We drowned two, and he has given me one, it is just starting to toddle & you ought to see the sport we have feeding it. It is only two days away from it's mother, but it has almost stopped crying now, for it's ma & little brothers & sisters. It has been christened "Cloch" after the Clyde lighthouse. The chap who gave me it, has rather a rosy nose & we christened him cloch just after mobilization, so out of compliment to him, it is now his namesake. How is the new house getting on now Margaret, I expect by the time you receive this letter, you will have changed your abode, or be in the midst of flitting. How I would like to be there to give you a hand Margaret, but I expect if I was, we would be rather apt to forget about the removal & become a bit of a nuisance to those who were busy, either that or we might disappear altogether. well dear I don't think I have anything more to say just now. It has been a bit of a struggle filling up this much, if I could only tell you something of my doing here, I could write this lot daily, but then the censor would chime in. I hope you are all keeping well & standing the heat quite alright. I am in the pink Margaret and getting on AI, just weary at times for a glimpse of my own wee girl. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

France

June 24th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

That was another topping letter I had from you this week, whole 12 pages & big ones at that too. Your last three letters darling have been extra fine, such long ones and I do thank you very very much indeed. Your one received this week dated 6th June is specially sweet, and it shows you up as the very same Margaret of old. You seem to have the very same though as I often have dearest, about this awful future, what will it be, well, once more I say it darling we must just try and be patient and pray that our joint wish may be granted, and if we do get it, I think there won't be a happier pair in all the world. Yes darling, I was glad to get back to the mud and as you say, the base was bad, and you tell me not to dare to grumble anymore, well as sure as the "sun will set, before it rises again", we'll never stop grumbling as long as the war lasts. That the British Tommy's specially "Grumbling" from morning till night, & I am as good at it as the next one. That's straight forward speaking dear Margaret, and I hope you are not disappointed in me, are you dearie.

Yes thanks, I have got over my inoculation alright and am none the worse. It troubled me a bit, but was nothing compared to the original doze. Yea dearie, I have a lot to be thankful for as far as health goes and other things as well, and I just hope I will always be as lucky & fortunate. It is very good of you to write as you did dearie, and I appreciate it very very much. No "Umpteen" does not mean aeroplane, it is a word used among the troops out here, and means "a lot". Supposing we captured a big pile of prisoners & you asked anyone here "How many prisoners were caught", he would tell you "Umpteen". Comprey? (understand). I am glad you had such a fine time at the beach. Margaret it seems to be a very gay spot and plenty of style & sport there, do you swim Margaret, would have liked very much to see you in your new bathing suit, and fancy having stockings & shoes as well, it will seem like going in with your clothes on. eh! That black eye must have appeared very funny Margaret & I must say, looks very suspicious, eh! Then you seem to have had rather a bit joke with that young ladies stocking,I'm sure she must have felt rather annoyed at the time, but it would be a good laugh afterwards.

You are fairly getting a pile of songs stocked up Margaret, you will almost require a room for your music alone, what an amount you must have by now. Your new song "The Cry of Rachel" seems to be rather a new style for you dear and I hope you are successful with it. You say it is rather dramatic, is it sort of opera style? You make my teeth water when you tell me about your grand new house. It seems to be just ripping from your description of it darling. Dearest when you tell me of all your happiness now it often makes me wonder if I will be able to be in a position to ask you to come back to me here. Altho my money is still going on at home, least a fair part of it. I have lost more than I can ever hope to make up for, and sometimes I feel wretched at the thought of you coming from your beautiful happy home, dearest Margaret, do you understand me, you may think I am looking very far ahead, but I can't help thinking of these things. My one idea has always been, since you went away dearie, what kind of a home can I give her. I had very great castles, but one would almost think that had been smashed on the very foundation. However darling, when I do get back I am going to get a start made & with one idea in my mind & that is to make something for my Margaret, that will be worth her while coming back for.

Now darling you say in the last letter, that I am to write you a nice big loving letter when I received it, well altho it may not seem a very big one, I have told you one of the things I am thinking most about since I came out here, but let it finish at that and we will wait & see what amount of our hopes are granted. Yes Margaret, it is only too true that Lord Kitchener has been drowned, but as far as we can make out here it was a stray mine that caught the ship, but there is a strong feeling that it was due to espionage & that there was an explosion on board the ship. It was certainly a great blow to England, but like all other things it is passing off. It is just as you say, dear, the North Sea battle didn't help things, but it was really a victory for us. Besides giving the enemy a good whacking, their fleet won't venture out for another year at least and with the Russians advancing the way they are at present, things are looking quite hopeful.

Fancy you arguing that our Navy was not defeated, your heart is still in the old country Margaret and may it be always free for you to come back to is my earnest prayer. The rumors here say that 1917 will see the finish of hostilities, although peace may not be then declared, but I really hope it turns out as good as that, but I hae ma doots. I don't suppose you will have had any word from Mary yet about your invitation to her. Oh if I was only in her place, would I accept that invitation. Well Margaret I hope she does, for my benefit, yours and hers & you can bet that I will want to talk to her for a week when she comes back. Just in case you would like to know, I have not mentioned it to anyone at all. Well dearie you will be thinking I have not said very much about myself, & only answered your dear letter, but I have got very little to say. We are having quite nice weather once more, altho it is very erratic. Today has been very warm indeed, but yesterday was absolutely rotten. It poured all day and our little home here got flooded out, when we woke this morning, there was enough water round about to fill the "Bricky" (Duck Pond). I am still getting along pretty well, but it will never be anything like the old crowd., everybody says that. Well I will need to stop now dearie, it is just post time 4 PM & I started this about seven this morning. I hope you are well dearest & as happy as possible. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

Margaret's very nice new home.

post-3199-1143255362.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jimmy - just been catching up on your latest offering of letters.

Interesting to note Arthur's continual reference to the censor. Obviously they were proving more prevalent as the British were building up their preparations for the Somme offensive.

Also the comment by Mary Harris that she dreaded the boys coming home as they must get careless when they go back.

Just little things ... that give you a different insight to the times.

Jonathan

I'm continually intrigued by the things that are expressed by the young people of that time. Mary's statement struck me also, it's interesting that such statement's can have such meaning.

Though we have but small bits of Andrew, I can certainly sense his personality, quite different than Arthur, though they are twins. Andrew is a bit rougher around the edges than Arthur, he puts up with the Army life, but doesn't hold back his ill feelings for it as a whole, whereas Arthur takes it all in stride, he's a professional soldier.

As I post the rest of the 1916 letters (July thru Dec), the number of letters during this time dwindle in amount (Arthur has little time during the Somme Offensive). It is obvious and understandable, that Andrew has been a big part of Arthur's life (twins, and up until the last 2 years have been inseparable). Their bond will be broken very shortly, and it would be safe to say that Arthur will feel more pain for his mother's loss, than of himself. Arthur is always more concerned with the others and of their feelings, his are reserved for God, at least this is how I view it.

It's stuns me to think, Andrew had only been in the army a short time, a matter of months, and the poorly designed strategy of the Somme Offensive would take him away, makes one wonder, the wasted life's, all those families and the scar's it left behind, hard to believe it was even possible.

Jimmy

Though we have but small bits of Andrew, I can certainly sense his personality, quite different than Arthur, though they are twins. Andrew is a bit rougher around the edges than Arthur, he puts up with the Army life, but doesn't hold back his ill feelings for it as a whole, whereas Arthur takes it all in stride, he's a professional soldier.

As I post the rest of the 1916 letters (July thru Dec), the number of letters during this time dwindle in amount (Arthur has little time during the Somme Offensive). It is obvious and understandable, that Andrew has been a big part of Arthur's life (twins, and up until the last 2 years have been inseparable). Their bond will be broken very shortly, and it would be safe to say that Arthur will feel more pain for his mother's loss, than of himself. Arthur is always more concerned with the others and of their feelings, his are reserved for God, at least this is how I view it.

From what I have read from both Arthur and Andrew it has been difficult to think of them as twins. From my little knowledge I view Arthur much more mature and pragmatic and also content to accept his lot and get on with it. I guess this has somethng to do with believing that his fate has already been decided by a higher being and he is just to play out the role.

I have been keeping a close note of the dates of these letters as I am aware Andrew's death is approaching. As you said, very sad that he had such a short war especially after he had tried so hard to enlist and do his bit.

I look forward to your future postings.

Jon