Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gone, but not forgotton Guy Graydon 1894-1915 kia Gallipoli

jimmy

France

July 3rd 1916

My Dear Margaret,

One more its time for me to write you, but someway or another its just seems as if I wrote my last letter yesterday, but I suppose it’s a good sign and shows that the time does not really drag on our hands. Well darling, I got your lovely long letter of 15th June today, and although it is not as large as last weeks which was some length, it was longer than usual and as sweet & dear as ever. I am sorry to hear you have not been quite so well lately Margaret, and I hope that long ere you receive this scrawl you will have quite recovered, and be feeling as fit and well as you should be. No dearie, I wouldn’t put it down to “Sheer laziness”, you know you are not of that build. Now there’s a compliment.

It seems a pity too, Margaret, that you have had to give up your music for a time, but if you will excuse me saying so dearie, I think it is about as good a thing as could have happened, it will give you a little rest and when you do start again, you will feel even better, after the rest, your vocal powers and you will like it all the more, just because you have been off it for a little time. It’s just the same as a person training, before the event; there is always a complete rest from it altogether. At times I have thought to myself that you were tackling a wee bit too much for your strength to contend with, but now that you are having a spell it will do you a world of good. You will excuse me talking like this dearest, but I am just telling you my thoughts & I am thinking of you all day long & when you tell me that you are getting so thin & pale, I don’t like it and when you do something that is likely to benefit you, it more than pleases me. Hard lines you have not had a letter to answer Margaret, my letters seem to have been rather irregular lately, and it is the same at home, in fact there seems to be one or two that mother does not receive at all, but I hope yours turn up alright, I would rather you received them a bit irregular than that they should go astray. I am so pleased darling that my letters make you feel brighter and the thought that a few lines can you the least wee bit happier, makes me endeavor to get my letter away regularly every Monday morning. If mine give you half the pleasure that yours give me sweetheart, I am more than compensated for the short that I spend writing them. I often wonder what like it would be if your dear letters were to stop, my weekly letter is one of the few things that I look forward to receiving and if perchance it doesn’t come, the time seems to drag till the next American mail is due. I soon know when the mail is in, there is quite a number of Yankee letters come to our Brigade and I sometimes wonder if there is anyone else with a correspondent the same as mine. I don’t think so, at least not better anyway.

It is very good of your mother thinking about me so much Margaret, and I appreciate it very much. Yes dearie it is very good of Mary sending you the sketches so regular, she is a right descent wee soul. I have not heard from her for some time, so hope to have a short note from her soon. By the way Margaret, I am enjoying a piece of home made fruit cake just now, I received a parcel today, so hope I have made your teeth water. Eh! Your not annoyed dearie, are you? That was rather funny, taking little Guy to church, but as long as he behaved, I suppose it would be ok. I can quite fancy Joe not being extra keen on taking him, he would be afraid of getting a red face eh! I think I would be ditto. That’s rather a good idea these “miscellaneous showers”, nothing like it, eh, but as you say Margaret, it’s a fine way to help to get a house put together. The young couples in Florida seem to marry very very young, I don’t think I quite agree with it, but there again the customs of the place is unusual. Yes dearie, it certainly is very kind of John being so good to you, but even if he was not your brother, what else could he be, oh! If I could only be in his place for a little while, I think I’d absolutely spoil you from top to bottom, however if all goes well darling, I will get my turn in due course and then we will see if I can be as good to you as he has been, which will take a bit beating eh! You will certainly miss him while he is away, but then you will have another letter to write & you can make up for lost time when he returns.

That’s “some” jobs that are going about just now, and I am very pleased to hear that you are getting a good share of them, and I hope you will get many more of the ones that are still on the market. Do you mean “Base Ball” by the Ball Game; I suppose it takes the place of football in America. I saw it played once, when they were trying to bring it into England, but I don’t think it took on very well. Well Margaret you will be thinking that I have not given you very much of my own news, but there is really nothing much that I can write about. One thing, we are having some decent weather at last. This last week has been just perfect, but to grumble again, it’s a wee bit too warm, of course we are never pleased. I have just finished building a new “home”. It is about four feet high, seven long & six broad, and is composed of part of an old tarpaulin, some tarred felting & a few odds & ends, there are two of us lodging in it & we have made beds also. The frame work is thick planks & the mattress consists of wire netting, how do you fancy a night’s doss here eh! Well dearie I must stop now, as I have to write home now and it is nearly bed time. I am feeling tip top and hope you are the same. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

xxxxx

xxxxx

France

July 9th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I got your dear letter of 22nd June today just in time to answer, I was beginning to think I wasn’t going to have one to reply to this week, but it just arrived nicely. Well sweetheart, I don’t quite know how to start, I feel as if I want to write something to try & cheer you a bit for your letter, altho’ very very sweet seems to be a little bit sorrowful. What is it darling are you feeling a wee bit home sick dearie, you don’t seem to be keeping too well just now anyway Margaret, I wonder if it is the hot climate. You say your sprits have gone down so & everything is going wrong. I don’t know exactly how to comfort you sweet one, but can only hope that you are quite better now. I often feel like that dear and my cure is just to go & isolate myself & have a smoke if possible, and think. I like to think all by myself dear, at nights I usually choose some quiet corner in a corn field near by & can lie there & imagine myself with you once more, its just lovely. But you will be saying that is not much consolation to you, but I don’t know your environ & you can’t smoke, least wouldn’t, but if it is any comfort to you dearest, just you think of me & that I am thinking of you and the time when you & I are going to be so happy together.

You say you got my letter of 16th May & the next one was the 28th & perhaps the one between went astray, well darling I have written you every Sunday or Monday since I came up the line, & if I did miss one I would tell you, for I feel that you look forward to my letters every bit as much as I look for yours, so the only thing I can think of is that it has gone astray, and I shouldn’t be a surprised for mother too is complaining. I usually drop her a line three times a week and sometimes it is nearly a fortnight without her getting one & at times she gets a number of various dates at once, not long ago one took over six weeks to arrive, but I do hope you will get them more regularly Margaret. I think there must be another gone astray for two or three days after I arrived here, I sent you one with my address, and you are still sending them to 28, so that is why I think it has gone “west” too. Anyway I will give you it again. Headquarters Staff/258th Brigade RFA/B.E.F.,/France. I have put a stroke between each line, as we are not allowed to write it in correspondence style. Yes darling, I did like your pretty little pocket book, and on second thoughts I didn’t send it home, I thought you would like me better to make use of it, and it holds a five franc note just neatly so it is acting as my bank (while the money lasts). So I was wrong about the color of your dress, I remember you describing your new dress when you got it and can fancy to myself the colors as you mention them.

I am glad you had a nice letter from Mary; its ages since I heard from her, I must send her a reminder one of these days. Yes I had heard about the various marriages that are coming off. What do you think of them all? Eh! Well just you have a good time while you can, you say about the “poor girl” etc. but you wait miss, you’ll have a terrible terrible time when it’s your turn. I didn’t know that Charlie Watt had got his commission, what next? Eh! I suppose you will remember Bertie Brodie, he has one too. No dear I have not got mine yet. When I was at the Echelor I got my papers made out, & signed, but when I heard I was coming back here again I kept them back, and have since destroyed them, a bit to the displeasure of the Rev Wm, I suppose, for he was one of the recommenders. It was just when I was so discontented down there, that I was going to try for one, & father thought about one in the regulars & make it my profession, but nothing doing. I am quite satisfied here as long as the war is on, but “après le guerre” (after the war) I am finished with khaki, I’ve got something else to work for, I wonder if you know what it is darling? Eh! Well Margaret I don’t know quite how to answer your next question, you say “Do I sometimes wish for a wee bit shrapnel”. I think that question will go best unanswered. At times, we do feel very very fed up, but what’s the use Margaret, we have just to get fed up & start over again, altho’ it must be fine to have a short time in a nice private hospital, with a bed, clean sheets, beautiful grub, etc, but on the whole dear I think those who can avoid it are best of, for you can’t choose where you want it, you’ve just to take what comes, and too much might “come”.

About that prophesy Margaret, well from things at present, it looks a bit more hopeful. The Russians are advancing wholesale, the Italians are going on well and from the papers you will see that Allies here have started and are by no means finished. So every body is as pleased as punch & we are kidding ourselves that by the New Year, we will be talking English once more, it seems too good to be true, but we mustn’t be pessimistic. See. The weather is beautiful once more and it makes things so much more pleasant. I am expecting a note from Andrew soon, I haven’t heard from him for nearly a fortnight now. I hope he is ok. I think I’ll finish up now dear, it’s just time for the post & I don’t want to miss it. I hope you are feeling better now darling and cheer up & be as bright as possible. I am quite well & getting along fine. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

xxxx

xxxx

France

July 21st 1916

Darling,

Please excuse me for being so long in writing, but we are having a terrible time of it just now. I haven't had time to write at all, but am doing this at a road side halt. I suppose you will have read of the great push on just now. I am very sorry to tell you Margaret, that Andrew is missing, I can't realize it yet, but I have had so little time to think lately. Perhaps it has been better too. I got your dear long letter of 20th June alright and very many thanks darling, and so strange you should say so much about Andrew, and that you are waiting on a letter from him. Well dearest, we must just hope for the best, but even if he is a prisoner, life wouldn't be worth living with the Germans this weather. Please excuse this short note, dear Margaret, and I will try & write again as soon as possible. This will be the last Green envelope, they are stopped now. Goodbye just now darling, try and not worry too much about me, with all my love, your own,

Arthur

xxxx

xxxx

Written by Peter Simkins as the Introduction for

Chris McCarthy, The Somme : The Day-by-Day Account (Brockhampton Press, 1993) ISBN 1 86019 8732

The British official historian describes the period from 15 July to 14 September as one of ‘heavy losses, great hardships, and tremendous physical and moral strain’ for troops of all armies. The siege-type operations of early July began to give way to semi-open warfare, with the Germans often holding lines of shell-holes rather than continuous trenches. Although, in essence, he had little real choice in the matter, Haig himself, for a time, cast aside thoughts of an imminent break¬through, acknowledging to an increasing extent that the BET was engaged in a dour battle of attrition. Haig correspondingly came to regard the operations of late July and August as part of a ‘wearing-out’ phase of the battle in preparation for another big set-piece assault in mid-September, an attack which he hoped would indeed prove decisive. During this ‘wearing-out’ phase, Rawlinson’s Fourth Army continued to play the leading role. Besides repeated efforts to take High Wood and Delville Wood, Rawlinson also tried to ease the progress of the French Sixth Army on his right by seizing Guillemont and Ginchy, but neither of these objectives was in his grasp before early September.

August 12th 1916

France

August 28th 1916

Dearest Margaret,

I feel almost ashamed to start & write to you now, after missing so long, but darling all that I can say just now, in excuse, is that I am lucky to be alive & well, and able to write to you now. My excuse must just wait & enlarge the story after all this horrible war is over. I don't know exactly what letter it was that I answered last, but just now I have four of your dear, dear letters dated 13th & 20th & 30th July and 3rd Aug. I received the last mentioned yesterday & it was the first that you addressed to me here, so dearie, I think you will have a slight idea as to how your letters stand. Well before I start answer them, I will give you my new address, in case I forget later, it is now "D" Battery, 255th Brigade, RFA, B.E.F. It will be about a month before I will get your first one with that address, but I think the others will arrive ok. By the way your last letter was opened by the censor, but the other three were not, however that's nothing.

Well sweetheart, fancy Mary going to pay you a visit after the war, well, to tell you the truth Marget, I am wishing the war over & Mary's visit too, so that I can get all the news, it seems very greedy, but it's a fact. No, I think too it's a wee bit to soon to make arrangements for this winter, but I too hope with all my heart that by the next we will all be back to our homes & settled down to decent life once more. There's one dearie you'll never again hear me being "fed up", if I am spared to get back to my fireside & enjoy a nice evening with lady Nicotine & my feet on the mantle piece & a paper. Oh! It’s great to think of it.

Yes dearie as you say, it's beginning of the end, and it's that, that makes me think of the time when we all may be home once more. About your proposal darling of me paying you a visit after it's over, well sweetheart it would be just heavenly, in fact it's that, to think of such a thing but, well dearie I am very sorry we can say definite yet. If things had been as they were before, I would have jumped at the invitation, but since we have heard about poor Andrew, there is now saying what may happen now, it's so indefinite about the poor boy, it wouldn't be so bad if we knew whether he is really alive or not. I was sorry to tell you about him dearie, for I know you liked him dearest, for I know you liked him very much too, but we must just hope & pray that he may be alive, even although it may be a prisoner. I wouldn't mind that so much, but if he has been seriously wounded, they won't have very much consideration for the poor boy, you see he was a "Jack".

So, you didn't exactly fancy my little "house", well I expected same, if I had been told three years ago, that such would be my home? I wouldn't have believed it, anyway it has made that I will be very very easily pleased when I do get back to "civy" life once more, about "exacting" darling, well, from my present impressions or rather knowledge, that , with all it's kindred brethren will never never enter our home. Oh! I wish we were in it. You were saying that you 'had a very nice letter from "Andrew", and you were going to write to him the following day. Well Marget, I am afraid he will never get you letter, how he would have loved to get it, but it, has not to be so. I can't realize what has happened to him, poor boy. Well Dearest I don't think I have any more just now, I can't give you any news just now at all & have just to answer your letters. So you will need to excuse me, won't you dearie; if I am not able to write much again as is quite possible, I will at best try & send a PC.

I hope you are well dear girl & quite happy.

With fondest love

your own loving

Arthur

France

Sept 3rd 1916

Dearest Margaret,

I received your very very welcome letter of 10th Aug, just about half an hour after I wrote my last letter. I felt inclined to go & ask the postman to give me my letter back & I would answer it then, but on second thoughts I didn't & it's a good thing too, you see I answered three or four letters last week & if I had done this one too I would have had none to answer this week. I expect your next one will arrive tomorrow or the next day, but I won't as it might take longer & as like as not I would put off till it was too late for this weeks mail.Well darling I can hardly put into words, what a comfort your dear letter was to me. The letter itself was so sweet, & when I thought it was my own dear little girl that wrote it, I seemed just to think that you were just speaking your sympathy to me yourself. I have read it time after time, and Oh! darling I can only say thank you so much.

I am sorry to say Marget that we have no further word of the poor boy. Father has written to quite a member of the ones who were in the charge with him, & who are now in various hospitals, but they have all much the same tale to tell. He seems to have been one of the last survivors of his lot & the man who seems to have seen him last states that when he was wounded & crawling back he passed Andrew, who was rolling up some bombs. He says that Andrew was alright then & gave him a nod & shout in passing. So, whether he got knocked over or taken prisoner after that we must just wait & pray for the best. The only thing is, if he is a prisoner & badly wounded he won't get the attention that would have been given him if he had been under British doctors. Altho' I don't even yet realize it Margaret dear, I have had more time to think about it this last week & I sometimes try to think what like it would be after the war & we all got back to things again, if we had to do without Andrew, but there's no use talking like this just now darling, we must just wait & whatever it is to be, will, I suppose, be for some good purpose, altho' it may not seem so to us at present.

Thanks so much dear for, wanting me to get the full benefit of a short rest, but it was just what I wanted, even a few lines to you dear one & pour out my thoughts, for they were sore & there is no one that I could write to, as I can to you. Mother would be very pleased indeed if you were to write to her, she is always asking for you & was so pleased, especially in that last affair, when she had one of your letters to send on to me, so don't be at all afraid dearie.No I cannot play chess Margaret, although I understand it is a very interesting game. I was going to learn it last winter, we never made a start, and then the burst up in December knocked the whole show on the head.Well dearest, I have not anything of news, we are having quite a decent time just now, not too busy & on the whole quite good for active service. The weather is not of the best, but I have a good billet & have made myself a bed with canvas for a mattress, so I am quite comfortable. I would just like to spend the winter here.Well I must stop now, my lights should have been out ten minutes ago, if I'm much longer there will be a row, so goodbye just now darling. Thanks again so much for your dear letters.

With all my love

Your own loving

Arthur

France

Sept 14th 1916

My Darling Margaret,

I am starting this letter two days in advance for two reasons, and the first is that I missed last week & the next I had your dear letter of 17th lying to answer & then today I got your lovely long letter of 25th Aug. along with the photos.Well first of all I'll try & offer you my humble apologies Marget for missing last week, I can't, as usual, go into details, but can only say I hadn't time, but I will try & do my best to write a cheery letter & make up for my sins, although to tell you the truth dearie I have neither the inclination nor opportunity to write letters in this miserable hole.I am at present in a sort of shed affair open at both ends & outside it is coming down in torrents & blowing a hurricane, so you can easily imagine what kind of a draft is blowing this. I can hardly in fact hold my pencil decently, my poor fingers, but your dear letter with the photos has so cheered me up & I feel so happy that I can't settled, bar I start & write to you.

Well darling I will answer your letters in turn. How strange in your first few lines you mention about the great heat you are having, isn't it a pity we can't give each other a little piece of our own weather and so square off things a bit. That seems to have been some day you had at the Beach, and you have told me all about it, so beautiful, it seems more like reading a story or a something that we read about & very seldom experience. You did make my teeth water when I read about it, but when I saw the beautiful photos, well enough said. Really Marget dear, they were pretty & I like them very very much. The one you got specially taken is sopping, you don't seem to me, to be a bit older looking, of course one can't judge very well with you in that grab, but all the same dearie I must say, I like it very much. How beautiful the sand and the sea look it must be lovely with such long stretches & so smooth. So you have learned to drive a motor car, my word, what will it be next, I'll tell you. You want to learn to ride & I'll bet you'd enjoy it best of all, there's absolutely nothing like it. There's just one thing I would like to have & that's a good gallop along the sands, for a few miles, with no one to disturb you,just let the horse go. Oh it's champion.

I am glad you had a nice long letter from Mary, yes I am sure you will both be delighted to look forward to her visit to you & I hope, too, it will brace her up & put a lb or two more weight into her, she could do with it.Yes it was sad about Charlie Watt & Doddie Barber. The old Mount is getting a pretty hard hit & no doubt. Well dearest I am sorry to say that I have no further news to give you about Andrew. It is now over two & half months since he went missing & you know dear that's a long while to have no definite news. Although I should not say it, I feel very doubtful if we will have anymore definite news at all. But we must just try & wait a little longer in the hope that something of some sort may turn up.You ask darling if anything untoward should happen, how you would get to know, well I have already made arrangements just in case. I have told Mary, I don't quite like to mention it to mother, but I do not for a moment doubt that she would write to you, for she is continually writing about you & asking how you are getting on. I forgot to tell her that your letters were coming direct now and she was in a great state about them & wondered what was wrong.

Now Margaret dear, I don't know if I have any news to give you just now. I am still getting along ok. We are now into the cold weather rather quick this year, and are still sleeping out. The first cold night, you should just lie down in the garden patch the way you are, with a coat over you, it's a fine sensation. I am sure you would enjoy it. However we don't grumble when it's dry, that the bit that makes one real fed up to waken up in the morning soaked. Anyway it will soon be better, for they say the first ten years of the war are always the worst. Well dearest I must stop now, I have to write home yet & it's nearly dark. I hope you are all well & you sweetheart in the pink.

With all my love

Your own

Arthur

http://www.incallander.co.uk/music/amzngracemp3.wav

Found this bit written by Roger Gann of the Mount Florida Church, Cathcart, Scotland, Nov. 2002.

Some Notes for Armistice Sunday

Each year on Armistice Sunday we pause to remember

men and women who died fighting for our country in

conflicts from the past. During the Great War our minister

was Rev. William Ogg, and he was granted leave

to travel to France to visit the troops around May to

July 1918. When that war ended on 11th November

1918, in the session minutes throughout the following year, was expressed

a desire for some sort of memorial to those who had made the

‘supreme sacrifice’. Therefore, on Sunday 14th December 1919 a memorial

tablet was unveiled in the church (subsequently replaced after

World War 2). The following February, in the Marlborough Halls a

reception was held for the de-mobilised servicemen. At the same time

a more practical memorial was desired, and so on 28th May 1924 the

Memorial Hall was opened, at a cost of just over £4,000.

Often I have thought about the particular men whose names are engraved

upon our War Memorial and think of the terrible sacrifice that

they gave for us, the next generations. I never knew them, and I have

never experienced warfare, but I value what they did and mourn the

loss to the congregation of that time. Who knows what each of them

may have contributed to our church had they lived. Behind each name

there lies a story, and a family. Some day I hope to know more about

them, but for now I give brief details of three of them, and list the

names of all, as they appear on our memorial. I would be interested to

hear from anyone if they have any knowledge of any of the people

listed or any family connection with them.

Roger Gann.

To The Glory of God

IN MEMORIUM

1914 - 1918

Andrew R. Adam

John Barclay

Guy Black

Walter H. Black

Phil. L. Carter

James W. Clark

Alec Cowden

James Cowie

John Cowie

Laurence Dalglish

Eric Fairlie

Elphinstone Forrest

Guy Graydon

R. Milton Hamilton

William Henderson

James Hunter

Alexander Langmuir

Alexander L. Mackie

William Mackie

Bertram Mathieson

James P. Mitchell

Louis D. Morrison

Archibald C. Oliver

John Ormiston

James Ramsay

Hugh Robb

Norman Roy

Peter Roy

James Sinclair

Andrew H. Sloan

Arthur J. Sloan

John T. Strang

John Taylor

John A. Taylor

Charles Watt

Jimmy - maybe you could let the minister see your collection of letters, or some of them anyway. So much local history so movingly told must be of interest to the minister. Maybe there are still descendants attending the church.

Marina

Jimmy, I assume you have already been in contact with Roger Gann?

Reading of the Memorial plaque made me wonder if Margaret ever returned to Mount Florida?

Marina/Jonathan

I had the pleasure of communicating with Mr. Gann, and he was very pleased to read the letters. Mr. Gann has spoken of the "gang" to the Church's Young People (ages 12-16), and has used some of the material in the Church’s Monthly Record, the past two November issues (Remembrance Sunday).

When I came across Mr. Gann's article mentioning some of the young men that are in the letters, I was so relieved to know that such a memorial exists. Their names have continued to be remembered, even if it’s on a local level. I am aware that there are countless remembrances throughout Europe, and abroad, of the men that lost their lives, but this one is special to me. :)

Jimmy

Kings Park

Cathcart

Glasgow

9/20/1916

My Dear Margaret,

I got your nice letter either Thursday or Friday of last week, and I thought I would just like to write a short note, to thank you, and to tell you if ever one was thankful for a boy, having dear girl, I have been at this terrible time, perhaps it is a very strange thing for me to write, to you, one could say a thing like that easier, but it is true dear Margaret, all the same. Our hearts have been sore for poor Arthur, we have each other here, but he is away there, in the midst of it all, and as you say, they have been so much to each other, they have been such true friends all along, the one was incomplete without the other.

We have no further news of poor dear Andrew, it is too terrible. I cannot think what to write, I am afraid our hopes of him being alive are very very slight, but there again, I think why can't they find something, I feel if we could only get some word, it would be a little easier, but the uncertainly is so awful. The chaplain gives us very little hope, in fact none, at times I can't think we will not see the dear one again, but Oh! just to know what happen to him and if he suffered, or is suffering.

This is a perhaps a very rambling kind of letter, but I can't think properly just now, and I just wanted to thank you. I hope your little nephew is getting on nicely, he would cheer you all up a bit, Arthur wrote and told us his name, that he had been called after dear Guy, I always thought such a lot of the dear boy. I hope your Mother and Father are both well, also all the others.

How very very few of the dear boys left now, poor Charlie Watt, just two weeks after Andrew. A.P.P.C. from Arthur last night, and I think wet, and are sleeping in the open, he was going to try and get under cover of some open shed. Excuse me for not writing more, Winnie sends her love to you too.

Kind regards to all

Your affectionately

Marion G. Sloan

France

Oct. 15th 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I have got two of your dear letters to answer this time. I am so sorry I missed last weeks post, but even if I had managed to write one, I had no chance of posting it, so I hope you will once again excuse your block. Your letters are dated 7th Sept. and 14th Sept. They seem to be taking longer to come than they used to. I used to get them in a little over a fortnight, but this last one has taken a month, all except three days. Are mine taking as long as all that. Even my letters from home take longer just now, a whole week & they used to come in two or three days.

Thanks very much for the little photos, they are very good indeed and you with your hair down. It reminds me when I knew you first & you could hardly speak to me. I wonder if you remember that occasion dearie. I was up for Guy one Sunday afternoon, to see about some solo he was going to sing that night; you answered the door & showed me into the parlor, but hardly spoke a word. Then your letter dear letter of the 14th Sept. I am so pleased you had my long letter alright & that it cheered you up so well. If it gave you half the pleasure that yours give me, I am quite satisfied. Darling, what would I do if I had not your dear dear letters, week by week? It's the real joy of my life here getting your letters & mothers too. Poor mother she is very very down hearted and I do feel so sorry for her, if I could only get a furlough just now, I think it would do more good then all the letters I can write. I am afraid she is beginning to give up hope about Andrew, I think myself if we were to get any definite word about him, we would have had it by this time.

So you didn't manage to send the photos after all, but with a bit of luck, I may get them next letter & it may be here any day now. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to get it tonight, seeing your last one took a bit longer to come, but I am not waiting to see, but getting this one done while I can. I am writing it in a big tent erected by the Scottish Churches, it's the first time we have had such a thing in the firing line & you have no idea Margaret how much it is appreciated, it is just newly up & I hope we don't get the order of the move for a little so that we may benefit by it for a little.

I had a letter from mother last night & who do you think was in our seat on Sunday, nobody else but Guy Young, he has come home & given up his job in Burma to join. He is going to try and get a commission in the Navy, & he should make a top pole officer there, he's so big & strong. It must have been a bit sad for him too. It wasn't till after the service that he knew about all the boys of the old crowd who had fallen.

You ask how they are all at home, well I have already mentioned about Mother; one can hardly expect her to be otherwise. I feel sorrier for her than anyone else at home. She was always of a nervous disposition. Father is getting along alright, I had a letter from him awhile ago, but I can see he is a bit worried too, and he can't get labor at all, although he says it is surprising how well things are going too. Winnie is getting along fine too, she has given up school & is now home helping along with mother. It makes a big difference to mother too.

Now dearie I must stop, it's two days since I started this letter & I don't want to miss another post. I hope you are keeping well darling and as cheery as ever. Please remember me to all. I am still getting along OK & feeling quite well, just a bit fed up, but that's old news. Well goodbye just now dearest

with all my love, your own loving

Arthur

Oct 22nd 1916

Guest LadyMoonlight

Arthur may well have known my great uncle George Thomas Gabb of Newport South Wales, as he was also in the Royal Field Artillery, "C" Bty, although a different battalion. Here are his details:

Name: GABB

Initials: G T (George Thomas)

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 123rd Bde.

Date of Death: 11/05/1917 (age 26, born 1891)

Service No: 156899

Additional information: Husband of F. M. Gabb, of 20, James St., Newport, Mon. (and father of Mary Gabb)

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 7.

Cemetery: BOYELLES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Do you think they may have met?

France

Oct 29th 1916

My Dear Margaret,

I am making a bold attempt to send you a letter this week seeing I only managed a FPC last week, but you will need to excuse any dirt & scrawl as it is under semi difficulties that I am writing to you darling. I will try and tell you first of all as to my attitude. I am using my left hand to hold a candle & hold the pad, of course the pencil is in my right and I am sitting in front of a brazier trying to get some heat into my being. I wonder if you know what a brazier is; it is an oil drum with holes punched in it, just the same as you used to see the workman at home making holes in a pail. We have had terrific weather this last fortnight just a continual shower of rain from morning to night. If this is a sample of this season’s winter, well it’s a rather cheery lookout. We are still sleeping as best we can & I can tell dear I am just about fed up just now. However we are living in hope that in the near future we may get a barn to sleep in at nights. I wouldn’t mind if we were settled down as nice as we were this time last year. Well dearest I must not grumble and be thankful that I am well and able to write to you.

In my PC last week I acknowledged your two letters of 21st & 28th well what do you think happened the next day, well I got your dear letter of 5th Oct and I was so pleased to get it. What would I do without your dear dear letters, my darling perhaps some day I will be able to give you proper thanks for the way in which you have so faithfully written to me, week after week and hardly ever a miss.

You seem to getting a perfect dab at embroidery Margaret and I hope you were quite satisfied with your pillow or rather cushion when it was finished. I can fancy I see some very fancy ones in a new house in some future date, eh! What. And so you didn’t care very much for that battle picture you saw at the picture house. There is a great picture showing at home just now, it is called “The Battle of the Somme”, I suppose it is very good indeed and is all the talk at home, would like fine to see it. Winnie went to the Picture House and saw it and she was very excited about it.

Yes darling, whole two years since you left Scotland. It is a long time too, least it seems such since I saw you sweetheart, but when I think of the time I have left home, it really does not seem so long in some ways but again sometimes its looks more like ages. However I hope it won’t be so long till I am back again and then it will be up to me to make the time as short as possible till you and I will be together once more, and together once more, and oh! What a happy day that will be. I am glad that you expect to have John back from Live Oak soon and I hope you manage to get things squared up alright; it must be very annoying when a job has to be kept hanging on just because some careless people can’t or won’t settle the financial part of the deal. I don’t suppose John will be sorry to be back at Gleniffer either. Did he go to Live Oak before or after you removed of former it will be quite a novel homecoming for him.

You ask if I have any objection to you going out with anyone else, well sweetheart, I must say & honestly too I have not, so long as you can draw the line at the proper time, and I am not the least afraid that you can’t. I am so pleased that you had a letter from mother…answer to your very …one to her. I would like to know what it was that she said that made you feel so happy, but I suppose that is one of the things that is not for my ears eh!

So your papers are really in praise of the allies now, well it quite true anyway, I don’t suppose the censor will chalk that lot out anyway, Oh! If it wasn’t for that chap I could tell you some things just now that would make your ears tingle, and you would be wondering why the whole army didn’t get a VC each. However its all the more towards the story “après le guerre”.

I am so pleased dearie that Joes birthday party was a success, how I would have liked to have been there, I am afraid it’s not five hundred that I would have been wanting to play something far more simple eh! Then Miss G would have been getting “socks” for neglecting her guests & that wouldn’t do, at all. I had a letter from mother yesterday and she was telling me Jim Brown was back at his work, but one day was enough for him and he had to give it up. He has been confined to his bed since but hopes to be up soon again, he has still got two pieces of shrapnel in his body & the doctors can’t get it out so he may have to go back to the hospital yet. However it’s a good thing he has got his discharge anyway.

I have not heard from Mary for a good while but I hope to get some word from her soon. She is the only one of the old crowd who writes to me so her letters are all the more welcome. She always seems so cheery & bright, in her letters anyway. I admire her pluck.

Mother was saying that they had another letter from the “Graves Registration Committee” in France & they say that no grave has been registered for Andrew yet. But that does not give much satisfaction. How I wish we could get some definite news, anything would be better than the way things are now.

Well darling I don’t think I have anything more in the news line. How are you getting along? Margaret dear how I would like to be beside you, even just for a little time. It seems so long since I had you in my arms. I sometimes wonder if the time is ever going to come when you & I are to be in each others company once more. We must just pray that we may be both spared for that happy day. Now sweet one I must stop my candle is just finished & if I don’t get this finished tonight I may not have the chance for a night or two. You see I have just to take things as they come here. I hope you are well dearest & remember me kindly to all. Good bye just now dear girl, with all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

xxxxx

xxxxx

Jimmy and other contributors,

I am so pleased to read all these wonderful letters that you have discovered, Jimmy, and the photographs are just amazing, bringing the stories to life. And a special thanks to Jonathon for visiting the memorials at Helles and the photos. Again this year, I wrote a short article for the Mount Florida Church magazine (it's called The Record). Church members have been so interested to learn of the letters and the Young People's Church enjoyed my wee talk. I ended it with the picture of Arthur alongside his last letter of 29th august 1918.

At the moment, I am not aware of any direct descendants still attending the church, but I will try and find out over the months ahead. We still hold our Remembrance Sunday service each year on the Sunday closest to the 11th November, and we remember them. Mount Florida Church lost 36 men in WW1 and 15 in WW2. My notes I reproduce below, and I quoted Guy's letter in full along with the eulogy from Rev. Ogg.

Some Notes For Armistice

Last year I wrote about the Sloan brothers from WW1 and Robert Legget from WW2. Well I’m glad that I managed to get in touch again with Jimmy Brammer from USA, who has made further postings to the Great War Forum. Most of the letters are to Guy Graydon’s sister, Margaret who had emigrated to Florida with her parents and was to have married Arthur Sloan after the war. Jimmy has got some photos and original letters from Arthur, still with candle grease and mud stains from Flanders.

Guy Graydon, Bombardier, RFA 4th Lowland Bde, died 9th August 1915, aged 21; killed at Gallipoli, Helles Memorial, Turkey.

Below is Guy’s last letter to his sister, Margaret.

George Watt, Chief Engineer Merchant Navy, died 1st February 1942 on SS Tacoma Star, torpedoed by U-109 38 East of Hampton Roads, Virginia, USA, on route from Buenos Aires to the UK with general cargo. 85 crew and 9 gunners lost at sea. Kapitan Heinrich Bleichrodt (Knights Cross) commanded U-109. It was subsequently sunk by depth charges off Ireland on 4th May 1943 with all hands lost – 52 lives.

I'd be more than happy to receive any enquiries or whatever from others who have posted to this part of the forum. I'm pretty new to using forums and posting to them so please be patient.

Finally, Jimmy, thanks once again for all these wonderful postings of yours. I haven't forgotten about getting photos of the church and the memorial. As soon as I can I will post them.

Cheers for now,

Roger Gann

Roger,

First of all welcome to the Forum. The lads from Mount Florida have become quite important thanks to the letters sent to Margaret by Arthur and Andrew and others. It is reassuring to hear that you continue to honour the men from Mount that fell in both world wars.

I realise this is early days for you on the Forum but if you could attach a photo of the Memorial in due course it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jon S

France

Nov 29 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I told you last week that I had no letter to answer, well my dearest girl what do you think I got this week three, whole three dear letters from you. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw them but sure enough they were there. They are dated 19th & 27 Oct and 3rd Nov respectively.

I will do as they do at a poll and will commence with the last first. Darling when I read your dear letter of 3rd, I almost felt like crying. That is a long time you have been waiting for a letter, but I do trust that by now you have received a letter. I think there was a fairly long spell that I missed, but I can assure you sweetheart that it was no fault of mine; it’s just another case of waiting till after the war for an explanation. I am very sorry dear for having caused so much worry and anxiety, but I am sure you understand darling, don’t you?

I can quite understand you sort of consoling yourself with these pretty verses Margaret, they are very nice indeed, and although it may seem a wee bit funny, there is nothing I like better than a nice verse of that style of poetry, and I must say that you choose two exceedingly nice quotations. I saw an awfully nice bit in a paper a day or two ago, and I meant to cut it out and send it when I thought most suitable. However someone else collared the paper and it is gone. So I will just need to look out for something else.

That seems to have been rather a fancy affair, the Woman’s Club demonstration, and it must have been a very fine sight too. I hope John’s birthday party was a thorough success and that you had a letter by that time dear to cheer you a bit and put you in better fettle for it. John is getting on too, 27 years old, but we are all gradually creeping on. What a pity we can’t get the full benefit of our “prime” days. It may be wrong of me darling, but I often wonder why it is that you and I should be so placed, missing the very best time of our younger days, but it must all be to some good purpose, and if we are spared to be united again dear we will be all the more happy and I hope, dearer to each other, for it all. How I look forward to that day Margaret, I think all my troubles and worries will cease then.

Gavin Ernest is fairly getting along with his teeth, he will soon be able to take a right good grip of your fingers, and you see I know a fair amount about babies too. Then in your letter of 27th Oct you start by saying you missed the post. Well upon my word Margaret that was awful, but you are pardoned a thousand times, yes and more if necessary. I think it would be about the meanest thing I could do, to complain about that. I wonder if there is a single boy in France who has such a correspondent as I have in you, for regularity and every thing else. No dear, there will be something far wrong if I ever take up that attitude.

No Margaret I am sorry that we have no further news of poor Andrew to give you yet. And I am rather afraid although I don’t like to say it, that I think there is very little hope of us getting any further news of him. Poor boy, I wonder what became of him.

Dec 9th 1916

Dearest Margaret,

Since writing the letter I have been doing some traveling. When I was at page 4 I stopped & went to bed as I was feeling a bit stale, well next morning I was so rotten that I had to report sick and the doctor sent me to the field ambulance, I was there for a night & next morning I was sent with the first convoy to the Casualty Clearing station, I was there a night and next day I was put into the Hospital Train & have now landed at No 6 General Hospital, and I was thankful, I can tell you dear, to get put into a lovely bed with white sheets. I have been here nearly a week now and am up today for the first time. I don’t quite know what is wrong with me, my legs are practically useless & I have very high temperatures, I think it is a doze of Trench Fever. However I hope to be soon alright again. I half thought I would have got over the channel, but no such luck for poor me. It’s a bit hard lines as I think I would have got leave next month and there were also visions of it being made sergeant, still you know the old tale sweetheart, “alls fair in love & war”, although at times it seems a bit unfair.

There's another thing before I forget dear, you might be please send my letters to the house, as there is no saying where I may be sent now, and I am very doubtful if I will get your dear letter between that period. I have had no mail yet from anybody.

Well dear I must stop now, as its time for me to get back to bed and I can’t write in bed for nuts. I hope you are well sweet one and mind & don’t worry about me, I will soon be alright, remember me kindly to all. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

picture circa 1909

Margaret's brother John, first person standing, left to right. Parkhead Football Club Junior league, Helenslea Park, Glasgow.

post-3199-1143381317.jpg

• 1 month later...

VAD Hospital

Barfordhill

Warwick

Dec 22 1916

My Dearest Margaret,

I dare say you will be quite as surprised & pleased as I am to see that I have landed back into the old country after all. I would have written you before this Margaret, but up till now I have not been able to procure paper nor pencil, so you will need to excuse me once more for missing a week, however darling there will be no excuse for a while now and I hope you won't be disappointed again, at least it won't be my fault if you are. Now dear I have a terrible lot to tell you so you will excuse the usual scrawl as it will take my hand all its time to keep up with my brain, excuse me, what’s left of it.

Well dearie I will start from the beginning and give you my journey, and I hope I won't bore you. At the time when I left my battery, we were in the Somme and our horse lines were just beside Albert, a town, I dare say you will have seen mentioned in the papers. I was going to tell you about the guns, but I think it would be better not to, and so run no risks. Anyway we were in an awful plight. You will never be able to imagine what like it is, the mud is beyond speaking about, we were absolutely over the knees & in some places it was right over the waste, I was never so glad to get away from anyplace as I was there, it was awful. Well I had been feeling pretty rotten for about a week, and one night I was absolutely "up the pole", so the medical chap took my temperature and I was 103, so I was ordered off to "dock" (hospital).

I was taken to the Field Ambulance, I was there a night and the next morning I was taken to what is known as the Casualty Clearing Station, that is situated at the Railhead, and is the first stage of stationary hospitals, the others nearer the line are mobile, well I was there a night, and when I got in I got a glass of hot milk, Oh! Darling, if you only knew how I appreciated that glass of milk. My stretcher was placed on two trestles, and it made it more like a bed, how I enjoyed lying there, under a decent roof, it was a big marquee, and with clean clothes, and a nurse who couldn't do enough for me. It made me wonder sweetheart, the reason for all this bloodshed & suffering, what does it all mean?

I could not sleep darling, but I thought a lot, my mind wandered to higher thinks, I don't know how I got it, but these words came to my mind, "I was hungry & ye fed me; I was naked and ye clothed me". Darling, we may not be everything we might be, when we are at the job itself & seeing one another knocked out, but when there is peace & quietness, there is or rather seems to creep into me thoughts of God and his goodness to me these last two years. I don't know when I "enjoyed" a night as I did in that dark tent, and outside the snow was lying and a hard frost. I thought of you darling and wondered if you had got a letter from me for your last one said you had none for over three weeks, I have had nothing from you yet, so I am a wee bit anxious for I felt you were in such a state and I do hope you have got some by now. You have no idea Margaret how pleasing it is to a chap here, to think that there is a dear little girl, altho' far away, who has so much in common with him. How I long just to get one glimpse of you dearest.

Well I was taken away from that "heaven" for it was that to me, the next morning, and put into the Hospital Train. It was a lovely train, English built, and the beds were arranged along the sides in tiers of three, thirty in all in each carriage. That was the first sample of a spring bed, I had been on a stretcher all the time before that. Well we traveled all that night & next day and arrived in Rouen the next evening. We got lovely food & so daintily served, the nurses & sisters can't do enough for the boys. When we landed we were taken to the hospital in Motor Ambulances and I recognized all the old places of Rouen, where I spent three months last winter. The Hospital itself was a treat, when I got in, I was bathed & put into a bed & fancy clean white sheets, I was frightened I would wake up & find myself back in the mud again. However it was OK and I spent a fortnight there and got on splendidly, and the day before I left I was allowed up for a couple hours in the afternoon. You can be sure it was a very pleasant surprise to me Margaret when the doctor marked me for England. When I got up, I thought there was no chance of "Blighty", but, as I learned later, I would have come over sooner; only my temperature was too high for the journey.

Well on the 14th Dec we left Rouen and were taken to the Hospital Ship. She was the "Western Australia", and had rather a peculiar history. She was captured by the Japs from the Russians in the Japo-Russian war, and later was sold to the Austrians. After this war was started the Australian Govt captured her from them and later handed her over to us as a hospital ship. The HS are done up beautifully, the haul is white & the funnel yellow, and a great big red cross painted on the side. We sailed the next morning at daybreak. It is a lovely sail down the Seine to Havre; it reminded me of a trip down the Clyde. The scenery was very fine, and as I had a port hole at the head of my bunk, I could see everything, from my bed.

We had a fine crossing; the sea was very calm for this time of year and arrived off the Isle of Wight about 10 PM. There was a very thick fog then, so we anchored & lay there for the night, the fog cleared the next day about 10 AM & we sailed up the Solent and got into Southampton about 12 noon. It was rather funny going on and off the boat, the stretcher was hoisted up the hold, and it seemed so funny going up to the top deck. We were then put on the train & had the great satisfaction of knowing that we were in "Blighty" once more. I wondered where I would land, but did not know where we were bound for, till well on and we ultimately stopped at Birmingham, and were taken to the 1st Southern General Hospital. It’s a huge place. It did not however come up to my expectations, and I was quite glad when I was sent to this one, I will tell you about it in a minute or two.

I wrote home & gave them my address and got a letter just before I left & what do you think it told me, well, that Daisy Gillespie was a nurse in that very same place, I didn't know how I was going to see her, but about half an hour before I left, she came up to see me, she had a letter from home telling her I was there. I can tell you dearie I was pleased to see her; she's a girl I have always had a great respect for. She did look sweet in her garb too; the ones in my ward were s'no use at all. I had only time to see here for about five minutes, but it was so nice seeing one of the old crowd, I would have liked to have been in her ward. Bet we'd have had a high old time. She was delighted to see me too, as it was the first time she had seen a known face too. They don't have an easy time by any means and have a very hard time of it, 8 AM to 8 PM on the day shift & the reverse on the night shift & no such thing as leave. Some people think the nurses have a great time of it, but in these big hospitals, they have a very hard time of it indeed.

Well so much for Birmingham, I arrived here last night; we came by train and were met at the station by private carriages, nothing less, and driven to the house. It is about three miles from Warwick and as the ground was covered with snow, and the countryside beautiful, it was as good a drive as I have had. It is one of the places that we often read about dear, and very seldom see, the real old English country village. The hospital is a gentleman’s house & is entirely a voluntary affair. There are 26 patients and we have a grand time. The grounds are beautiful, and the "grub" exquisite and as much as one can want for. I am an "up" patient now Margaret & am allowed out on fine weather, so it makes all the difference from lying in bed. I was very lucky indeed getting to a place like this. I will tell you all about how we pass the time in my next letter.

Now dearest I hope I have not bored you with this long yarn, but I thought you would like to hear all about it. I am just wearying now to get a letter from you dear & I will be as happy and pleased as punch. How are you getting along yourself, dear girl, I do hope you are well and have got word from me alright by this time. How’s little Gavin getting along, and your mother, I hope they are all well. I think I asked you in my letter to address my letters home, least if I didn't, this will serve the purpose seeing I am shifting about so much.

Well I must stop now, its just bed time 8 PM. I am getting along AI & hope soon to be home on my furlough. Now don't worry about me darling, I'll soon be alright, and am just waiting on a dear letter from you, my own dear sweetheart. With all my love, your own loving,

Arthur

Hi Jon,

I felt a break was in order, as Arthur's journey the past two years were coming to a surprise conclusion, not even Arthur could have thought possible. After 20 months in France, and of all the things that had happened during that time, and as fate would have it, his leaving France seemly came about fairly abruptly. Arthur had said "I was frighten, that I would wake up from a dream and be back in the mud". The time between his last letter from France, and the following one from "Blighty", caught everyone by surprise, none more than Arthur himself, and I felt obligated for a slight lapse between their postings.

Though Arthur may have suffered somewhat from his illness, that had required his removal from the Front, I can see his fate unfolding before my eyes, as a entirely new chapter in his life was to begin, truly overnight.

Jimmy

VAD Hospital

Barford

No Warwick

Jan 7th 1917

My Dear Margaret,

I don't quite know what I am to write about this week. I have not had any letters from you since the one that was sent on to me from France. We had a bit of an outing three days ago, we left the house immediately after dinner in carriages and had a nice afternoons drive. The weather was delightful Margaret and I was in a beautiful little dogcart along with one of the nurses. All the other vehicles were carriages, so I was quite in luck. Now dear are you jealous? eh. Fancy me out for a drive all on my own with a young lady. Well we had a very nice drive and landed ultimately at a town called Leamington Spa, about seven miles, on the other side of Warwick.

We went to the winter gardens concert hall, and the programme was really an excellent one. There was a set of perriots on, four ladies & four gents, and their singing and dancing was just as good as one would get in any first class comedy. The two "corner boys" were very good & I don't know when I had such a good laugh. We were in the stalls so you see dearie that they treated us very well, there would be about thirty patients and six nurses. It added quite a touch of color to the place. Did I ever tell you that when in the hospital we have light blue suits with white collars & lapels & red ties, then the sisters & nurses in their uniform, made quite a decent blend.

After the concert was over we were taken to a big warehouse, like Copeland & Kye's or any of these places, and had tea. It was a most artistic place & had an orchestra into the bargain. We had a very fine tea with all the usual fancy cake etc. Do you know what it remembered me of darling? Do you remember the night we went to the Picture House and had tea afterwards and there was an orchestra there too. It was one of the many little happy events that I will never forget.

Well when we had finished tea we got on our way again and had a lovely drive home, it was a fine moon-light night and not a bit cold. Today & yesterday were quite different, we are back to snow again, it’s that wet stuff & as there is not much to do out, I have stuck to the house both days. If I can manage it I am going to try and get home next week, I am getting a little tired of hospital life and would like to see them all at home again. So if things go right you should only get one more letter from here.

I had a letter from mother yesterday, but there doesn't seem to be much doing at home just now at all. I asked her who JG was engaged to, but she doesn't know, it seems to be a general mystery. I was at "church" tonight, the service is held in the drawing room and the local minister takes charge. It is an Episcopal service and the nurses & lady & family of the house all attend. But I must say I do not care for that form of worship, and I could fly easier than follow it.

Well dear Margaret I really don't know what else to say and I hope you will excuse this short note this time. I do hope I have one of your dear letters to answer next time. I hope you are all keeping well dear & still remembering about your "block" at home. With all my love, your own loving

Arthur

Warwick

Jan 1st 1917

My Dear Margaret,

I got a big surprise this week when the postman handed me a dear letter from you. Some of the boys in the Battery had sent it home & mother forwarded it on here. It is dated 26th Nov, but there is the one of the previous week to come yet and I am rather afraid it has been handed back to the post office marked "In hospital" and if so, you will most likely get it returned to you, but by the time you get it dearie you will most likely have had my letter from Rouen & so it won't frighten you.

Well sweetheart I am so glad that you had a letter from me at last & the post does seem to be rather "up the pole", but it’s just as you say dear, we should be thankful that it has served us so well all this time. Now my dear girl whatever made you think that "maybe I had some other reasons" & "perhaps annoyed with you about something" Oh! Margaret dear whatever would I be annoyed with you about? No love, you are too much part of me for that, and even if I were, it would need to be something oh! Simply terrible awful and even then I would want to forgive you at once. Now are you quite sure on that point Margaret tell me, won't you?

I am glad you got the photo alright, the one with Eric Fairhe, and "like" it, and are you really afraid of me darling, you know I am a terrible monster, most brutal & unsympathetic, oh yes I am a terrible person, and I know how frighten you are of me, oh! you dear little being, Margaret you must remember I was in the midst of practical un-civilization and it took us nearly a day to clean ourselves up for that photo, I often wish I had got a photo when I was really in the mud. When I had probably had no wash for perhaps three days and a weeks growth & the mud simply oozing out my clothes. It would have been a bit of a novelty & something to smile about later on.

I am sorry that your mother was not so well dear, but I am glad that she is ok now, it must be so much more dear for you when she is laid up, but I didn't know that John had been unwell, you see dearie, that’s with missing your letters & I have to put two & two together, however I am very glad too that he is also much better and able to be out. Well darling I think that’s about your letter answered and I will now "let off" about number one. As you will see from the address, I am still at Barford and really Margaret I am so happy and little wonder, if you only saw the place I am at and its surroundings. Its about three miles out of Warwick and as pretty a place as one could wish to see. I am getting along very well, although I was put back to bed four days ago, I had a turn round before that and it is lovely; and as I expect you would like to know, I made myself to harmonize with the environs by taking off my "stache" now that’s blowing my own horn, but there’s nothing like it. So it’s off now & will remain so, as long as I remain in this country, now does that please you darling?

We had a great time last Monday (Xmas day). When we woke up in the morning, our stockings were just packed, all sorts of odds & ends. I got a very handy steel mirror, box of cigarettes, chocolates, two books, & a few other trifles. Then our dinner was "some" meal, there were two beautiful turkeys with the usual vegetables & "spuds", then a huge plum pudding in burning brandy with a piece of holly on top. What do you think I got out of the pudding, well the bachelors button, now what have you to say about that. Its a good thing I'm not superstitious & you can take what meaning you like out of that, do you understand me sweetheart, you will be saying I am all blethers this morning. Well maybe, but if you only knew how happy I am dear, I think you would excuse me. Our dining room was beautifully decorated, we did it the previous day & with the electric lights different colors, it really looked quite artistic.

At night we had a party in the drawing room, and oh! Margaret if you could only see that room, it’s nearly as big as Mount Church hall, and has a beautiful polished floor. There are a grand piano & pipe organ in it too, and three great big oriel windows one lot on three sides & the fire place on the other. In the middle of the room there was a huge Xmas tree all light up & covered with good things. Off it, I got a quite a number of articles too, a very pretty knitted scarf, a tie pin, box of draughts, & the usual confections and fruit. All this days’ enjoyment was given by the lady of the house. Her husband is the squire of the district, and although I believe they have plenty of money, it would take a good penny for our day’s enjoyment.

We finished the day with a sing song, in our own dining hall, among ourselves & the nurses. It was one of the best days I have had for a long time and although it was all more of a children’s party style Margaret, I think all the boys enjoyed it all the more, there was one or two waltzes, but only a few could take part in them. I was one of the unlucky ones. I was just going to have a waltz with one of the nurses when the sister came up and put "her foot in it", I got on to her top later on for it, but it was only in fun, for she knows better than I what is best for us all. Well dearest I think I have told you about all as far as our Xmas affair & I think you will agree with me that it was a really splendid day.

I had a letter from home today and they are all well & getting on fine, mother is gradually coming back to her usual, as you know well dearie, time is a wonderful healer and altho' the remembrances are still there, it wares off in a gradual way. Have you heard of the latest engagements? Hugh Brown & Carrie Harris & Jimmy Gillespie, I don't know who has collared her, but things seem to be fairly humming. I am rather surprised about Carrie and really when one thinks about it, it’s a wonder she didn't wait a bit till this war is over, seeing he is still a C.O. I feel as if I don't want to meet either him or his beloved young brother George, I am afraid I would have rather an unpleasant interview & let them know exactly what I think of them. As far as I can make out, they are the only two left in Mount.

Well dear Margaret, I don't think I have much more just now. I hope you are all keeping well now and also teen and the baby. I am going along fine dear and if I had just you here sweetheart, it would complete my happiness to a T. I would take you to the cutest little seat in a corner of the orchard and tell you, well just the old old story and I am quite sure you would believe me & return my sentiments. With all my love, always your own,

Arthur

• 1 month later...

post-3341-1140385058.jpgJimmy and other contributors,

At last I am pleased to say I've got 3 photographs from Mount Florida Church, Glasgow. The first one shows the exterior of the church and was taken around 1995. The main front door faces directly onto the main road - Cathcart Road. The side street where there are parked cars, shows the south side of the building andjsut at the very end is the start of the Memorial Hall which was opened in 1924 as a permanent memorial to the men who died in WW1.

The second photograph is an interior shot of the sanctuary taken from the gallery looking east towards the chancel. The war memorial can be seen on the left hand side wall.

The third photograph shows the War Memorial itself, which consists of a wooden plaque, with a bronze plate in the centre, containing the names of those who died in both World War I & II. I hope the names are able to be seen from the posting.

Regards to you Jimmy, and I hope it is not too long before we hear some more from you.

Roger

PS Having trouble getting the images into the post and will try again later.