Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LANCASHIRE FUSILIER FOUND!!

bkristof

I cannot see the point in any of the work undertaken on the site and skeleton if it isn't going to be published. As Bert says, if previous reports are archived and accessible why not this one?

I know nothing about the internal politics of this affair, and I don't think I want to. All I want to know is where it will be published but seeing as such a simple question seems to have caused the entire archaeological system of Northern Europe to collapse, I suppose I had better shut up.

I'll try VIOE directly.

I cannot see the point in any of the work undertaken on the site and skeleton if it isn't going to be published. As Bert says, if previous reports are archived and accessible why not this one?

I know nothing about the internal politics of this affair, and I don't think I want to. All I want to know is where it will be published but seeing as such a simple question seems to have caused the entire archaeological system of Northern Europe to collapse, I suppose I had better shut up.

I'll try VIOE directly.

Thanks Simon

If this is the body of an officer why was he not wearing an OSD bronze cap badge?

Either, he was not an officer or he was wearing an ORs cap badge to fool the German snipers. Does anyone know if this was done?

I've only just found this interesting thread, however I've also just read Edwin Campion Vaughan's diary, here is an extract:

<quote>

August 13 <1917>. We heard this morning that we are moving up again tomorrow and that on the 16th we will be in support to a battalion of Irish Rifles at St. Julien. The immenence of the attack made me very frightened and I trembled so much that I could not take part in the discussion at first. But after poring over the map and passing on all information to my platoon, I grew calmer. Before noon we had learnt every detail of the ground from the map and, incidentally, had been issued with Private's clothing.

August 17. ..... The Colonel ws deep in conversation with two captains and I saluted, then stood leaning against the door. 'Don't stand there, man! he said. You'll be shot to hell.' So I added my dripping form to the congestion opposite him. After he had ignored me for some time, I realized that I was in private's uniform he had taken me for one of his runners, so I went over and told him who I was and my errand.

</quote>

On another occasion, they were instructed to wear soft caps on a raid since the steel helmets were noisely knocking against the bayonets. However when he turned out in a steel helmet, since he had no soft cap, the troops were not too pleased.

• 1 month later...

This topic as a question with a question inside that includes another question which itself contains a dozen or more new questions is the very best stuff I read since a long time.

Thanks to all

MZ from H

This has ground to a halt. I have enough trouble trying to convince local archaeological units to send the museum its archaeological reports, never mind trying to surgically remove them from somewhere on the Western Front.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As we are now one year on, does anyone know if their are any plans to publish this report?

Or is that prospect unlikely?

• 2 months later...