Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Sportsman's Battalion

Boreenatra

Steve. I too am AWOL. cos there's better things to do than work. Thanks for checking, I was interested to see if there was a story attached to him. Regards Steve.

Hi all

I have read with grate interest all of the items on the sportsmans battalions my dad hhas been looking in to them for a long time.

i will have to get him to have a read of all the information it may help to fill a few gaps

once again very interesting.

Steve P

Hi Steve and welcome. I would be greatful for any other info on Colonel A.H.Gibbons, who was second in command at Hornchurch. He later commanded a Battalion of the 5th Kings Liverpool. He was also known as one of the best big game hunters of his day, and supposedly killed five lions in a day. Also reputed to have discovered the source of the Zambezi River. Killed in France. Regards Steve.

Hi Steve and welcome. I would be greatful for any other info on Colonel A.H.Gibbons, who was second in command at Hornchurch. He later commanded a Battalion of the 5th Kings Liverpool. He was also known as one of the best big game hunters of his day, and supposedly killed five lions in a day. Also reputed to have discovered the source of the Zambezi River. Killed in France. Regards Steve.

Steve

Nothing in the Bn history, I'm afraid, though there is a mention of a 'big game hunter from Central Africa', so I guess he's your man.

Also on the nominal roll he's listed as "Lt Col A St H Gibbons"

Steven

Steve. Here's a reprint of earlier pic. of officers but with names if this is any help to you. Perhaps I should have edited the other one but it such a good pic it deserves to be shown again. My man 4th from left, front row. Regards Steve.

In Hornchurch today Sportsman's Battalion Memorial. Regards Steve.

Brilliant, Steve. Where in Hornchurch, may I ask?

Also, the photo of the officers - as far as I can tell, none died in service with the Bn (though obviously may have done elsewhere). A Capt H A Taylor won an MC gazetted on 1.1.18 - not sure if that's the Lt Taylor in the picture - and Lt Col Winter won a DSO* and MC - he's the very younf 2nd Lt on the ground at the front!

This Bn gets more and more interesting.......

Sorry Steve it's in St Andrews Church on the North Wall ( and it could do with a clean as well) Found this as well which is interesting.

"If I can I would like to recount a few personal friends in the Battalion, so if those genial "sports" Cook, Denis Turner, Parkes, O;Moore, Phillips, John Ward, Shepperson and Chilmaid, should ever to happen upon this page, they will know they are not forgotten.

Although the majority of the original members of the 23rd remained, by choice, privates, preferring, however high their social position in civilian life, to fight and march in the ranks. Long before it left Hornchurch, the Battalion had largely developed into a sort of Officers Training Corps, so many of them having obtained commissioned ranks ( June 23rd 1915 over 300).Many became distinguished officers during the war.

The fighting record of the Sportsman's Battalion was honourable and distinguished, and came fully up to the highest expectations. The Battalion went to France with the 33rd Division in Nov. 1915. Shortly after it's arrival it joined the 2nd Division and served with them throughout the war, taking part in the following battles-Delville Wood, Beaumont Hamel, Vimy Ridge, Attacks on Oppy, First Battle of Cambrai, Bourlon Wood, Miraumont, Greyvilliers and "Lady's Leg" Ravine

The battalion also took a prominent part in eventually holding up the enemy in the great and last German offensive of March 1918.On 21st. August 1918, it led off for the 3rd Army in the British counter offensive, eventually landing in Germany and forming part of the Army of Occupation.

Col. Viscount Maitland, who commanded the Battalion from it's formation, proceeded with it overseas. Returning to England in January 1916, he was succeded by Lieut Col. H.A.Vernon of the 1st K.R.R.C.. On Lieut Col Vernon being appointed to the command of a Brigade, he was succeeded by Lieut Col. E.A.Winter in May 1917, who originally joined the Battalion as a Private in 1914. Lieut Col Winter held command till May 1919. On leaving the Battalion to take over command of the British Camp at Antwerp, Lieut Col L.F.Ashburner was appointed to command the Battalion.

The Battalion served as part of the Army of Occupation until March 1920 when it was finally dispersed. It holds the distinction of having a longer life than any other Service Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers.

The following Honours and Decorations were awarded to the Battalion:

D.S.O.- 4

Bar to D.S.O. - 1

M.C. - 27

Bars to M.C. - 5

D.C.M. - 14

M.M. - 93

Bars to M.M. - 4

M.S.M. - 8

Officers killed 32

Other ranks killed 686"

Fascinating stuff. Regards Steve.

In my collection I have medals to :-

363 PTE. F. ST. J. G. ELLIS

667 PTE. W.T. MAULTON.

736 PTE. W. TOLHURST

902 SJT. A.E. WHITLOCK.

Does any of these ring a bell?

Steve,

Do you have any footballers or rubgy players please, these would be interesting for Sebastian to follow-up (as an 11 yr old he is occassionally asking questions now, despite the fact he has been going to the battlefields since he was 10weeks old!).

Thanks in advance

Mandy

post-6939-1117279126.gif

Steve,

I hope this works!

An advert in the Daily mail 8th December 1914

Mandy

Sorry everone about the size!

I do not know how to make it smaller, but at least it worked!

Mandy

To all the Steve and mandy

this topic has be very interesting and just seem to get better each time i go back to it. a lot of steves out there!

sorry i don't have any thing to add as this Battalion is of interest to my dad.

I will speak to him and see if he has anything.

Steve p

Steve,

Do you have any footballers or rubgy players please, these would be interesting for Sebastian to follow-up (as an 11 yr old he is occassionally asking questions now, despite the fact he has been going to the battlefields since he was 10weeks old!).

Thanks in advance

Mandy

Mandy: The Historty doesn't name names, I'm afraid. If young Sebastian is interested in footballers, put up a post - there is a member doing reserach on the 17th Middlesex (Footballers). My guess is that 'Sportsmen' in this Battalion meant public schoolboys who were into hunting, shooting and fishing. May well have been rugby footballers, but I reckon any Association types would have been strictly Corinthians.

Jim: Your 4 chaps are all listed as having joined the Bn in the very early days at the Hotel Cecil (and, Mandy, I think the fact that the Hotel Cecil was the recruiting base tends to indicate that professional sportsmen were not included - it was a bit exclusive!): Witlock was killed on 30.10.16.

I feel a trip to Kew coming on....I can't even remember what started this off.

Mandy. Had to repost this picture from another thread It would combine two of Seb's passions ( I hope !!) Caption on picture is Brighton and Hove Albion team at Drill. Regards Steve.

Mandy Here's one Seb can follow.Private Elias Henry "Patsy" Hendren, probably more well known for being a great cricketer for Middlesex, but played for Brentford, QPR Coventry and Man. City. Will find a pic and post it. Regards Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for the info on Elias,

Seb is interested in all sport (especially if it includes a ball, any shape, any size!)

He also, last year, had a trial with Brighton & Hove but his dad stopped him going after he was not asked to join, although for me I am glad because it means he plays locally and every week!

Thanks again,

Mandy.

Steve and Steve,

Any info. on SPTS 275 - W.O. 11. R. Lewis, MM & bar from Belfast, cousin to C.S. Lewis of Nania fame. Did he have a huntin, shootin or fishin background?

His group is MM*,1914-15 trio and Defence medal.

Best wishes Roy

Mandy

your son may also be interested in Lt Walter Tull of the 23rd Middlesex Regiment

played for tottenham.

also edgar mobs was another famous sportman who sered in the war

steve p

Mandy

your son may also be interested in Lt Walter Tull of the 23rd Middlesex Regiment

played for tottenham.

also edgar mobs was another famous sportman who sered in the war

steve p

Patsy Hendren was a real star in his day; what about Colin Blyhte (slow left arm and an expert violinist), Tibby Cotter (Australian)...cricket really gave it's all.

Reference Roy's question, CSM R Lewis is listed as MM gazetted 8.8.16 wirh Bar 10.10.16, and definitely a Hotel Cecil entrant, so very early member. As previously stated, the History is very light on personal detail, I'm afraid.

Steve et al. Here's today's quiz question. From the earlier post of the Lords Cricket Match I've got the scorecard. Now we know the names, can we put the names to the faces. Regards Steve.

Mandy. One of the players above William Ederick Bates played for Yorkshire and Glamorgan, but also played football for Leeds and Bolton so there's another for Seb to check out. Regards Steve.

If anyone is interested I have a list of some of the members and their " claims to fame"

Thanks for your replies. Regards Steve.

Steve

Two International Rugby players are mentioned in histories of the game to have served in "the Sportsmen's Battalion" but I've not been able to determine if it was the 23rd (1st Sportsmen's) or 24th (2nd Sportsmen's) Royal Fusiliers. The two are:

John Daniel, 7 caps for England 1899-1907; and

Henry Packer, 7 caps for Wales 1891-1897.

I'll be grateful for any information you have.

Regards

Gareth

Steve et al. Here's today's quiz question. From the earlier post of the Lords Cricket Match I've got the scorecard. Now we know the names, can we put the names to the faces. Regards Steve.

Wow...what a team. It'd give the Aussies a run for their money this summer. I'll work on this list and provide career details tomorrow, but start with Andy Sandham - a Surrey stalwart from 1911 to 1937, over 40,000 runs at an average of 44.82. Only played 14 Tests, but that was more due to a plethora of talent keeping him out than a lcak of ability. Add Patsy hendren and you have a barrel of runs there. Not surprised they beat the toffs from the HAC!!!

The rest will be posted tomorrow - promise.

Gareth - I'll have a look through the nominal roll tomorrow, but as previously stated it's in numerical, not alphabetical, order, so bear with me!

This is lovely - combining cricket AND the Great War....sure I haven't died and gone to Heaven? Oh no I haven't - the wife is calling...TTFN....

Looking these men up in the "Who's Who of Cricketers", I find the following:

E G Hayes (Ernest) played for Surrey 1896-1919, then Leicester in 1926. Right hand bat, Leg Break bowler. career 27,318 runs at 32.21, 515 wickets at 26.7. 5 Tests for England (86 runs at 10.75, 1 wicket at 52.1)

Andrew Sandham, Right hand bat, Surrey 1911-37. 41,284 at 44.82. 14 Tests, 879 at 38.21. 63 times put on a Century opening partnership with Jack Hobbs.

Elias 'Patsy' Hendren, Right hand bat, right arm slow bowler. Middelsex 1907-37. 57,611 runs at 50.8, 51 Tests from 3,528 runs at 47.63.

William Bates, Right hand bat, Slow left arm, Yorkshire 1907-13, Glamorgan 1921-31. 15,964 at 24.4 and 230 wickets at 37.7. As mentioned also played the winter game for Leeds and Bolton

The only other I can find a possible entry for is E L Marsden (Edward), who mplayed one game for Middlesex as an amateur in 1897, scoring 3 runs and taking one wicket at 68.0

I wouldn't mind seeing the first four starting the innings against the Aussies, though.