Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Sportsman's Battalion

Boreenatra

Good Morning All.

Does anyone have any information on a chap called Walter Glew Cpl SPTS/3497 he was in the 24th Bn 2nd Sportsmenand was killed on the 24th March 1918.I was just wondering if this man had any connection with the sporting fraternity.

I have a Full typed copy of thier war diary if anybody needs any lookups.

Best Regards Andy.

As the chap lived at Milford Stafford although born in Winchester you might want to put in a request for someone local to Stafford to look up the local newspapers for 1918 to see if it has an obituary. Cannot find anything else to help as his service record does not appear to have survived.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have any pictures of the Battalion at Hornchurch before they deployed?i now live in Hornchurch and only just found out within the last few weeks that they were near where i live!!

• 1 year later...

Picking up this topic after a while, I am researching sportsmen who enlisted and/or served with the 23rd/24th Royal Fusiliers, would appreciate any additional info on the following marked with **, or others not in the list:

· William Albany, SPTS/115, world famous sculler

· William E Bates, SPTS/919, Yorkshire county cricketer

· ** James Broughton, SPTS/457, "Celebrated walker and athelete. Walked 17 miles in 3 hours 5 minutes"

· Charles Clunas, SPTS/1068, played soccer for Celtic and other teams

· ** George A Cummings, SPTS/1387, "One mile walking record"

· Beauchamp Rochford Day (aka "R B Day"), SPTS/245, world's champion runner from Ireland

· Jeremiah "Jerry" Delaney, SPTS/1431, champion lightweight boxer and contender for Lonsdale belt

· ** William Dod, SPTS/690, olympic archer

· ** A H Goodall, SPTS/463, played football and hockey for Sussex

· ** John Graham, SPTS/992, played soccer for Milwall, Brentford and Fulham

· John "Jack" Harrison, SPTS/1467, winner of Lonsdale belt for middle weight championship

· Ernest George "Ernie" Hayes, SPTS/347, played cricket for Surrey and England

· Elias Henry "Pat" Hendren, SPTS/1213, played cricket for Surrey and soccer for Man City (and other teams)

· John Michael "Jack" Hendren, SPTS/348, played cricket for Durham and Middlesex, brother of "Pat" Hendren

· John William "Bill" Hitch, SPTS/352, played cricket for Surrey and England

· ** William Hooper, SPTS/209, welterweight boxer, fought under the name "Dick Brown"

· ** Henry George Kay, SPTS/1937, played cricket for Hampshire

· ** Lewis R Lewis, SPTS/2104, Welsh international rugby player

· ** E L Marsden, SPTS/394, played cricket for Hampstead

· ** Charles P McGahey, SPTS/???, played cricket for Essex and England

· Harry Owen, SPTS/1725, played soccer for Southend United

· Ebenezer Owers, SPTS/1291, played soccer for Bristol City (and other teams)

· Andrew "Andy" Sandham, SPTS/342, played cricket for Surrey and England

· ** George Vyvyan Spurway, SPTS/512, "International Footballer"

· Alfred H Toogood, SPTS/634, professional golfer - represented England

· Arthur Stuart Webb, SPTS/18, played cricket for Hampshire and England

As noted in previous posts there are soldiers in the Sportsman's Battalion who were known as "sporting men" but I have so far excluded from this list as I have not been able to associate them with any particular recognized sport.

Thanks,

William

William, what do you mean by "additional" information? For example I would suspect the lives of Patsy Hendren, Bill Hitch and Andy Sandham have been well-covered in various cricket writings (particularly Wisden), or is it more specific to their war service?

William, what do you mean by "additional" information? For example I would suspect the lives of Patsy Hendren, Bill Hitch and Andy Sandham have been well-covered in various cricket writings (particularly Wisden), or is it more specific to their war service?

Thanks, Steven. To clarify, I'm looking for any additional information on the ones marked "**" at the beginning of the line. The others (e.g. Sandham, Hendren, etc) I have plenty of information on, but included them in the list for completeness. Sorry for any confusion caused.

And by any information, interested in both War service and civilian life, although I should probably point out that I have access to Ancestry.com and have researched the Military section already.

Came across this excellent photo of 23RF's soccer team from 1915, including Sandham, Owers, Clunas, Hendren x2, Lewis, and Bates!

The Battalion "Soccer" Team which played Ilford on Saturday Feb 13th

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Phil, are you still looking for info on your grandfather?

As far as I can tell he signed up with 30th Royal Fusiliers (the reserve battalion of the Sportsman's Battalions) in mid-November 1915, and was then transferred to the 24th (Second Sportsman's) for active service in France.

Training would have been in Romford (briefly), then Leamington Spa, then Oxford. As to when he went over to France, probably March or April 2016.

That's about as much as I can tell based on what I have access to, but if you know more than that please let me know as I am compiling a history of the Sportsman's Battalions.

Thanks, William.

Steve

Do you have anything on my grandfather Albert Henry Burt private spts 4416. I'm not sure if he was 23rd or 24th.

Thanks

Phil

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2005 at 17:48, Boreenatra said:

I would be greatful for any other info on Colonel A.H.Gibbons

In case you're still interestedin Col. Gibbons, a profile of him is in this issue of the Sportsman's Gazette.

http://sportsmansgazette.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-first-sportsmans-gazette-no-7.html

I wonder if anyone has information on my Grandad Frank Burton He was in the Royal Fusiliers....I am pretty sure he was in the 23rd Sportsman's battalion and later the 1st battalion and possibly the 9th

I am unable to find any service records for him

I have a Croix De Guerre and another French medal which I think is Medaille Militaire along with the British war medal and the Victory medal not sure that they are all his or what he was awarded them for. I know the British ones are standard medals awarded to everyone that served overseas.

His service number was GS47737

He was a professional footballer and played for West Ham and Charlton

I do have his Medal index card  but nothing else so any help to find his service records would be really appreciated Thanks

8 hours ago, snakey said:

Grandad Frank Burton He was in the Royal Fusiliers....I am pretty sure he was in the 23rd Sportsman's battalion and later the 1st battalion and possibly the 9th

Hi Snakey,

I just checked my database of soldiers in the Sportsman's Battalions. The closest match is a Sgt. Burton who appears in this photograph of NCO's in the 2nd Sportsman's Battalion (the 24th Royal Fusiliers). He is in the back row, in the center (6th from the left or right).

The other Burtons in my database are Privates and have a different first name. Do you think the one in the photo could be him?

William

large.IMG_20140809_0010_NEW.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi there,

Sorry I see I'm rather late to the party but does anyone have any information on a Lieut. Philip Howard Cooper? He was in the 1st Sportsmans and also served in the Machine Gun Corps.

Thanks,

Matthew

• 3 years later...
On 29/12/2008 at 13:08, bruce said:

I have just finished reading, and enjoying, "Hard as nails", the Sportsmen's Battn of WW1, written by Michael Foley, published by Spellmount, ISBN 978-1-86227-406-8.

It is all about the 23rd and 24th Battns, from inception, through training in Hornchurch and Gidea Park, through their war service, and eventualy disbandment.

A good read.

Just ordered a copy and looking forward to getting it ☺️

@KizmeRD