Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germans and Sinking of the HMS Ben My Chree

stevenbecker

9 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Wigeon documents throw up some U Boat men I don't have?

Steve,

I will start with Marine-Oberzahlmeister Paul Fischer. Born 31 August 1883. Entered the navy on 13 October 1903.

1.9.08: Marine-Zahlmeisteraspirant

25.5.12: Marine-Zahlmeister

22.3.15: Marine-Oberzahlmeister

Saw service as a battalion and regimental Zahlmeister in the Marinekorps Flanders prior to assignment to the U-Boat Flotilla in Constantinople in February 1917. With the Euphrates River detachment from April 1918. Retired on 20 December 1919. Post war the bank director of the Beamtenbank in Leipzig.

Regards

Glenn

Herbert Nolde, born 29 January 1892. Entered the navy at the outbreak of war in August 1914. Served on SMS Kaiserin Augusta, SMS Mecklenburg, SMS Schleswig Holstein and Torpedo boat S 140 before attending submarine school in October 1916.  Served on UB 24 before assignment to UB 42 as a watch officer until wars end. Demobilised on 30 November 1918.

Regards

Glenn

Hermann von Hörsten, born 28 July 1893. Entered the navy in October 1912. Served on the SMS Ostfriedland then attended the engineer and deck-officer school until assigned to the U boats in Constantinople. Promoted to Marine-Ingenieuroberaspirant 1 July 1918. Commissioned as a Leutnant (Ing.) on 2 February 1920 and retired from active service on 27 March 1920.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks mate

I was going threw the lists again, an wondered about the Two (at lest) Mine Sweeping Divisions the Germans had there, as only a few names are mentioned (Range) 

At lest two names Wolf mentions are not there

image.png.410f45064a61adab1cf6405dd425284f.png

image.png.fb31e3a3756cf2ba2de12e596929e4a1.png

(not identified)? RTG 1916 returned Turkey mit ablösung einverstanden station hat nachricht awarded EK II 4-16 shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Hashagen is mention, but as a tag on at the bottom of the list with what I can translate as (Agree with replacement station has message)?

14 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

image.png.410f45064a61adab1cf6405dd425284f.png

image.png.fb31e3a3756cf2ba2de12e596929e4a1.png

Steve,

I think the answer lies in that the Mine clearance command was under command of the Sonderkommando, a different higher formation than the Mittelmeerdivision

Eduard Hashagen is shown in the document as a watch officer and adjutant of the torpedo boat flotilla. He had been with the torpedo boats since January 1916. He is shown in the Ehrenrangliste as leaving in December 1917 to attend the U boat school so the date there maybe slightly off or the Mittelmeerdivision document may be incorrectly still showing him as present in January 1918.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers Mate,

Yes possibly why he is shown now at the bottom of the list with the others

Steve,

continuing with Leutnant zur See der Reserve Paul Groeger, born 17 January 1895 at Jannowitz. Entered the navy at the outbreak of war in August 1914. Served on SMS Pillau and from May 1915 attended a reserve course. In September 1915, he was assigned in succession to the "Derfflinger", "Steingrund" and "Amrumbank" Assigned to U boat service in June 1916 on UB 36, UC 69 in December 1916 and eventually arriving in the Mittelmeerdivision in August 1917 with an assignment to UC 23 as a watch officer and deputy commander until the wars end. Demobilised 30 November 1918. He is shown the navy officers' association handbook of 1931 as being employed with Pan American Airways in Havana. He served in WW2 as a Luftwaffe Major der Reserve and died consequent to an accident whilst on the staff of Dulag Luft Oberursel on 11 October 1943.

Regards

Glenn

Mate,

Thanks 

Todays

image.png.9fb45006894116c4ea86a2b7be4e0302.png

image.png.6682dc0fc22bde73f2f3735e42b8deb5.png

both (not identified) shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Hi Steve,

Ernst Bantleon born 22.11.1858 at Großsüßen in Württemberg was a retired former active naval engineer in the rank of Marine-Oberinenieur (equivalent to an Oberleutnant zur See) who saw further service in World War 1. He was head of the power station at the arms department of the Ottoman war ministry. He had entered the navy on 2 February 1879 and after a career through the ranks as a machinist (Deck officer), which at that time was the normal career progression for a naval engineer, he was commissioned as a Maschinen-Unteringenieur on  8 April 1895 with seniority from 13.4.94. He was promoted to Marine-Oberingenieur 12.12.98 and left the navy on 28 May 1901.

Regards

Glenn

Like Ernst Bantleon, Reinhard Baumann was never a Leutnant zur See, the "zur See" appellation reserved exclusively for naval line officers and Fähnrichs. He entered the navy in 1913, initially serving on SMS Thüringen. He was assigned to the Goeben in March 1915 and left to attend the engineer and deck officer school in September 1916. He was then assigned to SMS Westphalen where he remained for the rest of the war having been promoted to Marine-Ingenieuraspirant on 28 September 1917. He was further promoted to Marine-Ingenieuroberaspirant on 15 January 1920, leaving active naval service on 31 March 1920. He was awarded the Charakter of a Leutnant (Ing.) on 5 June 1920.

He would at most have held the rank of a Marine-Ingenieuroberapplikant (Obermaat) on the Goeben.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Mate,

Just two I am unsure of as they are not in Wolf, but in an area I am looking at

Weech Friedrich von     LtCol / Obstltn    137. Piyade Alayi komutani Suriye ve Lübnan Sahil koruma sorumlusu (137th Infantry Regiment Commander Syria and Lebanon Coast Guard Officer) att 44th Div

Wefelscheidt    Lt    Dicle'de Kut Ül Amara'da (In Dicle at Kut Ul Amara) possibly Tigris River Det Mesopotamia

Wegerer von     Maj    Yildirim ordusu F.grubu 2. Kurmay baskani (Army F.Group 2. Chief of Staff)

I am unsure if they are spelled right, but as given in what little I have here translated from Turkish.

Friedrich Weech, the name as a number of hits, but not the right ones? 

Maybe he was his father?

There is a man by that name ?

Kommandeuren Karl Jaud und Friedrich von Weech. Variant title: Kèoniglich Bayerische Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 19. Variant title: Kèoniglich Bayerische Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 19

But I dought its him?

Maybe you will have better luck

Bon Chance

Steve,

the relatively simple one first: Oberstleutnant Friedrich von Weech, born 8 January 1872 in Vienna and died 27 April 1945 in Munich. A Bavarian officer who commanded the Prussian 2. Unterelsäßisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 137 from 19 April 1916 to 12 April 1917. At the outbreak of war, he was a major on the staff of 23. Infanterie-Regiment. Highly decorated, including the knight's crosses of the Bavarian Max Josef Order and the Prussian House Order of Hohenzollern. He ended the war commanding the Bavarian Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 19.

Wegerer sounds like a good spelling. There are two or three possibilities I am looking at. I have also found a Wefelscheidt I am looking at. Will get back on these.

Regards

Glenn

WeechFriedrichvon.jpg.e869707f98e49f0e316ad9c262501fa8.jpg

10 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Wegerer von     Maj    Yildirim ordusu F.grubu 2. Kurmay baskani (Army F.Group 2. Chief of Staff)

Hauptmann Alfred von Wegerer, born 22 February 1880 at Rastatt in the Grand Duchy of Baden. Former cadet commissioned into Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 80 on 22 March 1900. Served as battalion adjutant of III./80 from 1 October 1906 to 30 September 1908 and of I./80 from 15 October 1908 to 30 September 1909. Promoted to Oberleutnant on 18.10.09 and attended the Kriegsakademie (war academy) 1910 to 1913. Transferred to Füsilier-Regiment Nr. 73 on promotion to Hauptmann on 1 October 1913. Wounded near Guise in late August 1914 commanding 8./73 and thereafter employed as a divisional adjutant on the Eastern front until 1917. Battalion command in FR 73 and then assigned to Ottoman theatre to train assault troops and then assignment on Falkenhayn's staff. Retired in 1919. 12 July 1920: Charakter as major and permission to wear the uniform of FR 80 effective 9 April 1920.

Prolific writer post war and doctorate from university of Munich in 1929. Died 19 July 1945 in Berlin.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

10 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Wefelscheidt    Lt 

With this spelling, only one individual comes into the frame: Leutnant der Landwehr Ewald Wefelscheidt of Landwehr-Bezirk Andernach, originally commissioned into Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 30 on 2 September 1915.  I suspect he was the land surveyor Ewald Wefelscheid (alternate spelling) in civilian life.

A Leutnant der Reserve Heinrich Wefelscheid was commissioned into Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr. 5 on 14 July 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Intersting Glenn,

I have a number of such men in that area, doing that job (Surveyor's) like

Seyffarrdt (Seyffardt) Paul    Kapt-Lt Marine    Firat nehir birliklerinde (Firat (Euphrates) River Det (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) Marine-Vermessungskommando Survey rivers in Mesopotamia 6-16 

Becker    Capt / Hptm    Observer/photographer (Beobachter) Airforce to 2nd Aircraft Company Tayyare Boluk 1916 shown CO Aerial Survey and Photogrammetric Unit shown CO Mosul Photo Unit 1918 (Vermessungs)

Raspel Karl    ObLtzS (Kapt) Marine    Watch officer SMS Goeben (Yavuz) - Naval MG Sects Marine Landungsabteilung (Naval Shore Det) at Gallipoli commander MG Detachment II att 11th Div Keretsch Tepe (Kalkberg) at Helles (replaced ObLt Keiner) 11-15 RTG - returned to Firat nehir gemilerinde komutan (Commander on the Firat (Euphrates) River ships) (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) 2-16 Mesopotamia - Responsible for surveying and mapping the Euphrates RTG returned Commander Euphrates Flotilla (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) with Kapt-Lt Cappeln 8-16 still there Commander (Tigris-Euphrates Kampf gruppe) 1918

While Wefelscheidt is only shown with the Ottoman 6th Army in the Kut Area, his job is not mentioned or made clear in Turkish works.

18 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Seyffarrdt (Seyffardt) Paul    Kapt-Lt Marine    Firat nehir birliklerinde (Firat (Euphrates) River Det (Tigris-Euphrates Flotila Det) Marine-Vermessungskommando Survey rivers in Mesopotamia 6-16 

Steve,

Oberleutnant zur See Paul Seyffardt, born 9 June 1887 arrived in theatre in February 1916 from his last assignment as a watch officer on SMS von der Tann and was assigned the the Euphrates river detachment. Promoted to Kapitänleutnant on 13.7.16, he remained in theatre until October 1916 when he was assigned to the II. Matrosendivision as a company officer/commander. From April 1918 to the wars end he was the navigating officer of SMS Nürnberg. Retired 24 November 1919 and died on 28 December 1926.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers

Todays

Becker Gustav    ObLtzS (Ing) Marine    OberIngenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 

Becker Paul    LtzS Marine    Ordnance Officer SMS Breslau (Midilli)     1915-16    (possibly born 1879 at Kästrin died?) Crew of 1896 later WWII KaptzS (W) 1942 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

19 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Becker Paul    LtzS Marine    Ordnance Officer SMS Breslau (Midilli)     1915-16    (possibly born 1879 at Kästrin died?) Crew of 1896 later WWII KaptzS (W) 1942 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Hi Steve,

not a good translation of his rank. As I mentioned in an earlier post, only line officers had the "zur See" suffix to their rank. In fact, I should imagine Herr Becker was still a Deckoffizier (Oberfeuerwerker), an ammunition technical warrant officer while serving on the Breslau as he was not commissioned as a Feuerwerks-Leutnant until 28 June 1916 and was serving at home ports in Germany thereafter. Born 4 October 1879 in Küstrin/Oder, he entered the navy on 8 April 1896. He was serving on the Breslau as a Feuerwerker (1.4.11) at the outbreak of war. Retired on 8 March 1920 and awarded the Charakter of a Feuerwerks-Oberleutnant on 12 April 1920. Hr re-entered the Kriegsmarine in the early thirties and was a Kapitänleutnant (W) with seniority of 1.7.34. Further promotions as follows:

1.4.37: Korvettenkapitän (W)

1.4.40: Fregattenkapitän (W)

1.4.42: Kapitän (W)

Certainly still alive in 1946.

Regards

Glenn

21 hours ago, stevenbecker said:

Becker Gustav    ObLtzS (Ing) Marine    OberIngenieur (Engineer officer) SMS Goeben (Yavuz) 

Ditto regarding rank. Marine-Oberingenieur der Reserve Gustav Becker, born 4 March 1881. Entered the navy on 3 January 1908 (presumably as a one year volunteer). Promoted to Marine-Ingenieuraspirant der Reserve on 26 October 1912. A Marine-Oberingenieur since 19.6.18. SMS Goeben from November 1915 to November 1918. Demobilised on 9 December 1918. I am still looking for his initial commissioning date as a Marine-Ingenieur der Reserve which is most likely mid to late 1915.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers Mate,

Behm Gustav    LtzS to ObLtzS Marine    (Military Mediterranean Division MMD) - Naval Shore Det shown LtdRMI  Depot ship "General" 1918    1916-18    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Bennecke    Lt Eng    Forestry Ingenieur     1916-    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

1 hour ago, Glenn J said:

I am still looking for his initial commissioning date as a Marine-Ingenieur der Reserve which is most likely mid to late 1915.

Found ıt; commissioned on 18.2 16. 

Regards

Glenn

Behm Gustav    LtzS to ObLtzS Marine    (Military Mediterranean Division MMD) - Naval Shore Det shown LtdRMI  Depot ship "General" 1918    1916-18    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Steve,

Leutnant der Reserve (Marineinfanterie) Gustav Behm, born 24 July 1888. Commissioned on 27 January 1915. With the fleet shore (landing) detachment from July 1916. Demobilised 21 January 1920. 

Bennecke    Lt Eng    Forestry Ingenieur     1916-    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

The rank/appointment on this one troubles me. I cannot imagine what a forestry engineer is or what his role in the Ottoman theatre would be.  However Leutnant (17.2.14) Werner Bennecke of Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 10 is shown in the Ehrenrangliste as being on the staff of Heeresgruppe F at wars end, so presumably it is he. Charakter as Oberleutnant on 20 October 1921.

Regards

Glenn

Cheers,

Wegeon sent me an answer to this question;

"Re UB 14 Wachoffizier, I can't find one mentioned from Oct 1917 onwards in any of the Ubersicht , personnel records etc on the digitized microfilm. Also no mention found in a cursory check through UB 14's KTB."

Abel    LtzS Marine    Watch officer UB 14 1915 to 6-16 rtn WO UB 14 5-17 to ?

Feldbausch    ObLtzS Marine    Watch officer UB 14 6-16 to 5-17 

So what happened to LtzS Abel after Oct 1917 not to be recorded as Watch officer on UB 14 during 1918?

Todays

Bentmann Eugen    Maj Dr    Oberstabsarzt Mobile disease laboratory for Anatolia    1916-17    (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Berg Waldemar    LtzS Marine    Intell officer Special Duties Military Mission for Balkans 1-15    1915-    awarded EK II 8-15 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

Thanks to Wegeon list I did find Bentmann again (if they are the same man as Wolf shows Army and the list Navy?)

Bentmann     Kapt-Lt Dr Marine    ObStabszarzt Wanderlabratorium für anatolien (traveling laboratory for Anatolia) Adem verpflegung verband der Mittlemeer Division zugeteilt (catering association of the Mittlemeer Division allocated) Deutsches bakteriologisches institut Konstantinopel 1918    1917-18