Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Units in the War 1914-1919

GrandsonMichael

• 4 months later...

Hi Pettsy,

From Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919, part 48 The Essex Regiment, page 40.

"Petts, Abel, born Hertford, enlisted Hertford, 201190, Pte. killed in action Palestine 25/11/17, formerly 20715, Bedfordshire Regt."

As is so often the case, there is no mention of Abel Petts in the book Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade by John Wm. Burrows. There is some background information concerning the day that he died, see next quote. (Pages 265 & 266).

What puzzles me though, is that according to Burrows there were no men killed in action on that day. He used the War Diary of the 4th Bn., amongst others, as source material and usually these diaries mentioned casualties.

"The 1/4th relieved the New Zealand Mounted Rifles on November 24th in a position to the south of Nahr el'Auja, and moved two companies – "B" Company (Captain Carhart) and "C" Company (Captain Fanshawe) – across the river to support the Rifles in the capture of a position on the north side of the river, which they commenced consolidating. The two companies were transferred to Khirbet Hadra at10.30 p.m. in support of the advanced posts of the New Zealanders. Battalion headquarters and the two other companies remained on the south side of the river. Early in the morning strong enemy attacks drove in the advanced posts and with heavy shelling forced the two companies across the river, where they withdrew to their original position south of the 'Auja. During the fight Captain Fanshawe was hit and Captain Carhart assumed control. He was also shot twice through the shoulder and gallantly tried to carry on, but was persuaded to hand over to Captain P.W. Scott and report to headquarters. Plucky rescue work was done by C.S.M. Fish ("C" Company),who brought a number of wounded across the river by way of Jerishe Mill. A mortally wounded officer was ferried over on a stretcher supported by logs of timber from the ruins of the millhouse under heavy machine gun fire. The 1/4th were relieved by the 1/5th Essex and moved into bivouac at Sarona. Five officers and 97 other ranks were wounded in this operation and 2nd Lieut. E.M. Saunders died of his wounds in the C.C.S. on December 4th following. Forty-five of the men cut off at Kh. Hadra were taken prisoner."

Cheers,

Michael

201190 Abel Petts was reported wounded in the Essex Chronicle of 4.5.17. This list contained the casualties from the first battle of Gaza 26/27th March 1917

Regards

Owen

Hi Micheal,

Thank you so much, that is interesting.

I will have to print it off to show my dad.

Best wishes

Pettsy

Hi Owen

Thank you, I never knew that.

Do you know where I could order a copy of the article?

Which library in Essex to contact?

I would love to see it and also copy it for my dad.

Cheers

Pettsy

201190 Abel Petts was reported wounded in the Essex Chronicle of 4.5.17. This list contained the casualties from the first battle of Gaza 26/27th March 1917

Regards

Owen

Just had a thought Owen, do you know if there is a photo of Abel in the Essex Chronicle?

Pettsy

• 1 month later...

Michael

May I trouble you for a look up of what the 10th Bn Essex Regiment were doing on 27th August 1918, please?

My interest is in a Cpl Nicholas Gould who died that day and (at some stage during his service) had been awarded the Croix de Guerre.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris

Just before Michael pops along with all the info.

Not sure if you are aware but the 10th Essex diarys are now available online

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=870

Its one of the diaries I don't have yet, unfortunately.

Glyn

Hi Glyn, hi Chris,

Bit busy the last couple of days Chris, but I'll get back to you with some general background information from Burrows tomorrow or the day after.

Cheers,

Michael

Glyn

Many thanks for that pointer - very useful.

Michael

No rush - shall be pleased to hear from you when convenient

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

As so often, there is not all that much specific information about that day.

From With the 10th Essex in France, Lt.-Col. T.M. Banks, D.S.O., M.C. and Captain R.A. Chell, D.S.O., M.C., N & M Press, page 298:

“August 27th was a day of proud record in the annals of the 53rd Brigade, for on that day the Royal Berkshires and the Essex in combination met and defeated the German Guards in a bitter all-day struggle around Trones Wood. The Berks and Kents had assaulted in the morning, and gained their objective beyond the wood, when a counter-attack by the German II. Guards Grenadier Regiment threw the Berks back again from the confines of the wood. Sharp fighting followed, and “C” and “D” Companies of the Essex, under Wenley and Morrow, were hurried up and placed under the command of Colonel Banks, now serving beneath the dragon of Berkshire. These reinforcements steadied the situation, and then, as evening approached, they crept stealthily forward, until, with a wild burst of artillery, they dashed to the assault, carrying all before them in a magnificent bayonet charge, inflicting heavy casualties on the German Guardsmen with sheer cold steel, and capturing 70 prisoners. Thus Trones Wood was once more captured for the Division, and the immature boys of the Berks and the Essex vindicated their superiority to the flower of the German troops.”

Grin. Note that the C.O. of the two Essex Companies is one and the same as one of the authors of this graphic description.

See attachment for what Burrows has to say in Essex Units in the War 1914-1919, Service Battalions The Essex Regiment, Vol. 6, 1935.

Cheers,

Michael

post-2017-1161457856.jpg

Many thanks, Michael, that's a very good piece for setting time and place.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

Michael,

i have just returned from a wonderful trip to Gallipoli and whilst there visited the grave of a friends Great Grandfather at Lala Baba Cemetery. the guides that took me were fantastic and really came up trumps with some info from Westlakes book that indicate the soldier was one of eight men killed and approx 35 wounded by a shell on the 30th August 1915. Six men from the regiment lay in adjacent graves with the same date of death.

The soldier in question is Private Edward MACKLIN 1264 of the 1st/7th Battalion Essex Regiment.

Would you by any chance have any more info on this incident or movements before that date please?

Thank you in anticipation,

regards,

Scottie.

Hi Scottie,

What a great trip you had!

The date you mention sounded very familiar and after some searching I found I had posted some information here.

Burrows wrote this:

“Two days later it was transferred to the beach below Lala Bala. This hill had fairly steep sides on the seaward slope and the beach thereunder was narrow, so that the 7th felt fairly safe, even though the Turks were fond of shelling a battery nearby. It was, however, a “poisonous spot, which received ‘overs’ aimed at the shore batteries and ‘shorts’ intended for the naval vessels.” When the rations came along next morning there was an issue of bread, to the great delight of the troops. Unluckily, just as the food was being distributed, a shell came over and burst right in a group of men, causing some 43 casualties, of whom eight were killed. It was the most severe day’s loss so far of the campaign and cast a gloom over everyone".

( Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, Volume 5, Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade, pages 70)

One of the many ironies of war.

Cheers,

Michael

Micheal,

yes, a great trip and visiting Edward's grave was a memorable moment indeed for me, although not related to him i felt that i was on a pilgrimage on behalf of his family who have never visited. I left a cross on his grave from his Grandson with a personal inscription on it.

Very mixed emotions reading your reply, great to have found out more about what happened but what tragic circumstances and such heavy casualties from a single shell.

I am very grateful for your reply and i will pass this on to my friend, thank you very much.

Sincere regards,

Scottie.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mike Barlow
Hereby I proudly announce that I have been able to add Vols. 3 & 4 to my collection..... :lol:

John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919:

Volume 1: 1st Bn. The Essex Regiment, 1923.

Volume 2: 2nd Bn. The Essex Regiment, 1927.

Volume 3: The Essex Yeomanry, 1925. Includes a list of Officers and Men who were killed in action, died of wounds or as a result of service, and were wounded during the war! Ditto a list of members of the Essex Yeomanry who received honours or awards for servive in the campaign, with year of award.

Volume 4: The Essex Militia, 1929. For obvious reasons (?) only 8 pages are devoted to WWI.

Volume 5: Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade (4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, & 8th Battalions), 1932.

Includes a List of Honours awarded to Officers and Other Ranks of the Battalions of the 161st Brigade.

Volume 6: Service Battalions The Essex Regiment (9th, 10th, 11th, 13th & 15th Battalions),

All Books Published by arrangement with the Essex Territorial Army Association. John H. Burrows & Sons, LTD.

I’m happy, proud and broke…….

Look ups offered.

Cheers, Michael

Guest Mike Barlow

Hi Michael

I've just joined the forum and am still getting used to the controls.

Would you please be able to look up in Volume 6 any reference to my grandad Harold (Harry) Melville Barlow, 205558, he won the M.M. which I am trying to track down.

Many thanks

Mike Barlow

Hi Mike,

Welcome to this forum.

I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you. There is no mention of your granddad in Burrows.

I had a look in the database of the London Gazette and there are 740 hits for the name Barlow, so you’d have to have systematically plough through these to find the mention of him. It will most likely be exactly that. The occasion for winning the M.M. wasn’t published as far as I know. The site is very slow to access.

You could try to contact our fellow member Owen4256. He has an extensive database of soldiers of the Essex Regiment.

Do you have more particulars like which battalion, approximately when the medal was won, etc.? Do you have his Medal Index Card?

Cheers,

Michael

Guest Mike Barlow

Hi Michael

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. We already have grandads medal index card and a copy of his entry in the London Gazette.

We believe he was in the Maricourt area of France when he won his medal and like many others my dad would just love to know what his father did during the war.

I'll contact Owen4256 and see if he can help.

Thanks again

Mike

Mike

If you could post the Gazette date and the battalion number, if known, that would help. Can't access my data until tomorrow. Will get back to you later

Regards

Owen

Guest Mike Barlow

Owen

The Gazette date was the 24 Jan 1919 and he was in the 10th Battalion, Essex Regiment - there is also a (TF)? after the Rgt on his card.

The MM award card also has a Registered Paper - 68/121/727 and a Schedule Number 197734 if that helps.

Many thanks

Mike

205558 Barlow, Harry Melville, Cpl formerly Pte 1868 and 280275 1/7th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers served Gallipoli with 1/7th LF. Later Cpl R/387581 Army Service Corps. Transferred to 10th Essex August 1918? Medals MM,14-15 star, BWM, Victory Medal MM LG of 24.1.19 (sold January 2006 by www.medalauctions.com )

Looking at some of the other 10th Battalion recipients in the same LG edition: one was killed on 8th August 1918; some of the others were wounded in August/September 1918 including two who were reported wounded in the War Office List of 23rd September 1918. I believe this list relates to the assault on the Tara/Usna line of 23/24 August 1918. On balance I would say the MM was awarded for the period mid August/ late September 1918. The most significant 10th Battalion action in that period was the action of 23/24th August.

Looking at other transfers in with similar service numbers, I think it likely that Barlow was part of the re-inforcements that joined the 10th Battalion after it was decimated on the opening day of the Battle of Amiens on 8th August 1918.

His LF service will be covered by (reviewed on the parent site)

“Hell let loose

The 1/7th (Salford) Territorial Battalion, the Lancashire Fusiliers

written by Neil Drum and Roger Dowson

published by Neil Richardson, 2005

ISBN 1 85216 162 0

cover price £6.25

“The final part of the book is an expansion of the roll of those men of the battalion who were awarded the 1914-15 Star. Again, each man has been researched and we find their eventual fates.There are plenty of photographs and other illustrations - including (well done Neil and Roger) - some splendid and clear maps, and all round this is a well constructed and thorough presentation of the story of this unit.”

Hope this helps

Owen

Guest Mike Barlow

Hi Owen

Thankyou very much. Just to clarify, are you saying his MM was sold by medalauctions.com in January 2006?, if so I don't suppose you know who bought it or how I could find out?

Regards

Mike

Mike

His full medal group was offered for sale in their December 2005/January 2006 list. I suggest you email Andy at info@medalauctions.com and ask if they are prepared to pass on your details to the buyer. ( I assume you would like to make an offer!) Most dealers will be happy to do this. If they no longer have the record of the buyer they can probably put a wanted add in their next list/web update.

I still have a hard copy of this list somewhere if you should need the lot number. It would be a great story if you could track them down so please let us know how you get on.

Good luck

Owen

Guest Mike Barlow

Hi Owen

I think I've found them!! Andy has passed on some info to me and I have a dealers website showing them for sale, I just hope the site is upto date.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Mike :D:D:D