Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Units in the War 1914-1919

GrandsonMichael

On 22/04/2005 at 22:24, GrandsonMichael said:

Sorry Barry. Can’t find any mention of at all. Difficult to say when he would have been awarded the M.M. I went back 7 months. There were some fierce battles fought by the 11th Bn. during the large German offensive in 1918, in March the 11th sustained very heavy casualties and again in May.

One anecdote about the attack by the 11th at Scottish Wood in the neighbourhood of Vlamerthinge:

" The advance was successful and by 5.30 a.m. Battalion headquarters were assured that each company had reached its objective. Early in the action Captain Fison was wounded. Captain Pinney took over command of the line and he recalls that a C.S.M. remarked to him, 'This is the sort of thing people get a V.C. for, sir" only to receive the emphatic if ungrammatical reply, ' Not in this-------Battalion, they don't; get on with it.' The sergeant-major was subsequently awarded the D.C.M., ' and he deserved it,' said his commanding officer." (Burrows, page 362)

Cheers, Michael

I was just doing some research of Captain FS Pinney as I have purchased his binoculars from his great nephew. He was in the 11th Essex its clearly stamped on his Bino’s case.  I wondered if there was any more mention of him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 21:24, Eltel said:

I was just doing some research of Captain FS Pinney as I have purchased his binoculars from his great nephew. He was in the 11th Essex its clearly stamped on his Bino’s case.  I wondered if there was any more mention of him.

Hi Eltel,

Took a while, but I think you will be well chuffed, :)

See attachments for a narration by Lt Pinney of the results of battling a German break through near Achiet-le-Grand, Marchb 13th 1918. Also three mentions of Lieut. Pinney as Company Commander and last but not least a photograph where he is depicted as Captain Pinney. 

Cheers, Michael

Burrows, Volume 6, page 352 + 353.jpg

Burrows, Volume 6, page 354 + 355.jpg

Burrows, Volume 6, page 358 + 359.jpg

Burrows, Volume 6, page 362 + 363.jpg

Burrows, Volume 6, page 385 + photo large.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 05/12/2016 at 07:35, Stacgil said:

Hi I was looking through some of my great grandads bits and there are some for a William  Brewer 160175 essex yeomanry was he will them?

He previously served as 648 Private Brewer with the Essex Yeomanry, discharged time expired, before re-enlisting with the RGA with that new number.