The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Essex Units in the War 1914-1919

GrandsonMichael

thank you very much for that clive, do you have a date for the posting from 1/5 london rifles to 2nd Essex buy any chance. Going buy that date of wounding i presume that was the end of the war for dad, as he got shrapnel in the neck , Could that be 2/6 Essex, clive or not , As i know 1/5 london is a territorial reg as is 2/6 Essex so i pressumed he would of gone from one territorial too another .

Bert

It is certainly a transfer before March 1917 probably Jan or Feb 1917. The 1/6th, 2/6th and 3/6th used a single numerical sequence between them so it is not possible to tell from the number alone whether men were intially transferred to the 1st or 2nd line battalion.

Regards

Clive

Hi Bert,

Yes, I still do lookups. But Clive knows more than I do. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Michael is far too modest. He has done a tremendous job transcribing the war diaries and has far more of the regimental history on tap than I do.

Best

Clive

This info has now given me a slight problem , I was led to belive , going by dads essex number that the 6th essex was renumberd in 1917 with numbers from 275001 to 300000 , which they were all sent to eygpt for the rest of the war , however from the wounding info it seems he may of been in france as of the dates mentioned,any chance of a bit of clarification in this, I think dads service record was burnt so it makes it a bit difficult. thanks bert

I am currently researching the Battle of Cambrai and the 29th Division role. I have had no luck finding the 1/Essex Diary anywhere. Does anyone have the 1/Essex War Diary with entries from Novemebr 18th to Dec 5th 1017? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Frank

Hi Frank,

I can send you the War Diary entries for November 1918, thanks to our forum pal Glyn & his son, who photographed these and others for me a while back. None after November though. PM me your email adress and you can expect copies soon.

Cheers,

Michael

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I am researching Brian James Brett Walch (7 Nov 1893 – 28 Aug 1915).

The Medal Index Card for Brian James Brett Walch shows that he firstentered the War in the Gallipoli Theatre on 23 September 1915, as a 2nd/Lieutenantof the 4th Essex Regiment.

He then appears in the War Diary of the 1/4th Battalion ofEssex Regiment, which was serving in the trenches at AUSTRALIA VALLEY (WarDiary of the 161st Brigade, 54th Division ), ANZACCOVE. He is shown having joined from ENGLAND along with five other officersfrom the 4th Essex and two others from the 12thEssex.

On 26thOctober, 1915 2/Lt WALCH led a patrol which;

got to apoint about 100ydsin front of No 9 post before the moonrose. Party of Turks approached it & instead of opening fire on the atonce, patrol returned. 2/Lt WALCH wounded.

The officer writing the War Diary went on to write;

ConsiderTurks would have scattered if patrol had opened fire, particularly as it hadthe advantage in the first place.

On 29thOctober the diary reports:

2/Lt WALCHdied yesterday of wounds.

Ihave now hit a brick wall. I am waiting to receive his records from the NA, so Ican add something from there, but I do not have access to the Official History.Could someone please check the Official History or any other publication forany additional information about Brian?

Thank in advance for any assistance given, it is appreciated.

Mark

Michael

Is there any ref's in your material for the 1/5th Essex of a large draft joining them from the 2/4th Devons on their disbandment in August 1918.

Would appreciate any leads you can give.

regards

Dave

Hi Mark,

I’m afraid that the official history doesn’t add any information to what you found in the War Diary, as a matter of fact the Diary is more comprehensive.

“ On the night of October 26th a patrol, under 2nd Lieut. Brian James Brett Walch, reached a point about 100 yards in front of No. 9 post, when the moon rose and disclosed them. A party of Turks approached, before whom the patrol retired, in the course of which the officer was mortally wounded." (John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, Vol. 5, page 79.)

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Dave,

I just checked Burrows, Vol. 5 and I’m afraid there is no mention of a reinforcement. I don’t have copies of the relevant War Diary entries, so can’t check there. I did check With the 1/5th Essex in the East, Lt.-Col. T. Gibbons, D.S.O., 1921, but no mention is made of a reinforcement in his history of the 1/5th either. Sorry, not a whisper.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Mark,

I'm afraid that the official history doesn't add any information to what you found in the War Diary, as a matter of fact the Diary is more comprehensive.

" On the night of October 26th a patrol, under 2nd Lieut. Brian James Brett Walch, reached a point about 100 yards in front of No. 9 post, when the moon rose and disclosed them. A party of Turks approached, before whom the patrol retired, in the course of which the officer was mortally wounded." (John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, Vol. 5, page 79.)

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Greatly appreciated.

Mark

Michael

Many thanks for looking.

Regards

Dave

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello

Am wondering if someone would be so kind as to do a lookup for me; my grandfather was Private C.P. (Charles Patrick) O'Riley, 41951, Scout Section, 1st Battalion, Essex Reg’t. and I am wondering if he is mentioned at all? He transferred to the 1st Essex from the 1st Battalion, Norfolk Regiment where his Regimental number had been 9723. He disappeared in 1929 still suffering from shell shock, and was never heard from again.

I'm also wondering if someone could explain, briefly, what the Scout Section did? I suppose I should post that as a separate question in the forums....

Thanks in advance,

David Green

• 2 years later...
Guest RobHewes

Hi Michael

Could you look up William Hewes for me please? I believe he was in action on 1st July, and was wounded and taken prisoner.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Not sure how active this Essex Regiment thread is now, but I note the interest from a few years ago in Cpl Nicholas Gould formerly of the Norfolk Regiment who we 'Ryburgh Remembers' are researching at the moment. We have an initial biography under development and will happily share information. Please get in touch if you have anything on Nicholas.

Thanks

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gyurltrini

To Michael,

Hi, my name is Kathryn and this is my first post on this forum. I've been looking up information on my great uncle Charles Frank Norris Anderson who fought in WW1 with the 9th battalion, Essex Regiment. His service number is 34110. According to the information available to us, he died on the 9th April 1917 in the battle of Arras. They've never been able to find his body/grave so he has a memorial instead. He was 19 at the time. We also don't have any photo's of him, so I've also been looking out for that. I saw you had posted something about the 9th Essex on the day he died here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30833&p=1334153 so I wondered if you could do a look up for his name in your books. I'd love to know if there's any more information about him around.

• 6 months later...

Hi Kathryn

Your great uncle Charles Frank Norris Anderson was formerly 2344 in the Essex Yeomanry (SDGW)

Regards Barry

I see his mum died on 7th August 1897 a week after his birth, no photo of him but there is one of his dad.

Edited by The Inspector

• 3 months later...
Guest Gyurltrini
On 04/12/2016 at 17:17, The Inspector said:

Hi Kathryn

Your great uncle Charles Frank Norris Anderson was formerly 2344 in the Essex Yeomanry (SDGW)

Regards Barry

I see his mum died on 7th August 1897 a week after his birth, no photo of him but there is one of his dad.

Dear Barry,

Thanks for the information! Sorry it took so long to respond. What does SDGW stand for, by the way?

Soldiers Died in the Great War - lists (by regiment) of those killed.

Hi Michael,

Are you still doing lookups?

I'm researching my great-great uncle, Private Ernest Lewis who served in the 9th battalion of the Essex regiment. My grandpa recently inherited his medals, including a military medal with a bar and a card from the Major-General of the Twelfth Division commending him for distinguished conduct.

Would you mind having a look in the book to see if there is anything about him?

Thanks,

Matt

PS His full name was Ernest Francis Lewis, but he is down as "Ernest R Lewis" (12317) on the blue card and was known as Robbie in later life, so might appear as Robert Lewis.