Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not on any memorial... any ideas?

Denise Ford

Cheers Steve, that paints a picture of his movements for me; presumably the skin conditions were as a result of the trench conditions.

Seems that because of that he escaped some of the horrors only to end up facing certain death on his release from hospital.

I saw that book when i was looking online yesterday and was tempted. I think it's a must now.

You never know, your Percy and my Uncle Jim might have passed by each other in the hospitals!!

They wouldn't have had chance to meet. Percy wasn't in France in 1916. Despite being in the army before the war his call up was delayed by being ill with Pleurisy and he didn't make it to France until March 1917, in September he got a "Blighty" wound and then another "Blighty" in March 1918 which finished his War. He stayed in the Uk after that.

Great things these Service Records. It's a damn shame so many went up in flames.

Steve.

PS Stilleto 33853 is offering lookups of the 47th Division History. You might want to ask him about the 25th. Here:

He wont bite. I had coffee with him at the NA the other day. Nice bloke.

Thanks Steve, I'll do that!

I have now discovered that the Theipval Visitor Centre has a Panel of the Missing: a photographic wall of those listed on the memorial. I have emailed Uncle Jim's photo and his story to them so that he too can be recognised for the sacrifice he made.

Now that's what I call a result!

Might take a little while for them to confirm everything, if that's what they have to do, but that's fantastic.

Now who's that handsome chap just appeared as your Avatar?

Hello, Uncle Jim!

Steve.

Denise/Steve/Andy

Excellent result. I've been in Wales for a few days and therefore have just caught up on your good news. (Andy, there wasn't any mention of birthplace on SDGW.)

Riflemen used to wear dark buttons so that they didn't reflect light and attract enemy fire. Maybe Samuel James did the "colouring in " himself ;)

Myrtle

Semi-success on the memorial over here: I'm told by Southwark Local History Centre that:

A roll of honour for the 21st London Regiment (or First Surrey Rifles) is kept in the south transept of St. Giles's Church, Camberwell. There is also a memorial to the regiment in front of the church.

Just have to get there, now! :)

Theipval Memorial Centre have confirmed that once I get the letters and service record to them, Uncle Jim will be added to their computerised "Panel of the Missing". Wonderful wonderful conclusion to my quest.

Does 156 or now 157 Posts and 8 Pages count as a Long, Long Trail?

Have a good visit Denise.

Don't end up in Croydon :P

Steve.

:lol: Won't go anywhere near Croydon, I promise... don't need to - family ain't there!! :P

I think it was a long, long trail... but well worth the journey... thanks guys....

:D