002.jpg

001.jpg

same tank as in post nr. 1, second photo

001.jpg

idem previous photo

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

More fascinating photos - the anti-tank mines are completely new to me. Unfortunately I can't read the message chalked on the side of the tank in the second Cambrai photo.

John

Great postcard photos,  Can we dig the last tank photo up, it must have been hard to get that one out.

Hello,

some people are convinced that a few tanks are still buried near Bellewaarde.

Cnock

215113046_817931449084355_2259081649193605752_n.jpg

216664303_4936440959705723_3602811984136397311_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Cnock said:

Hello,

some people are convinced that a few tanks are still buried near Bellewaarde.

Cnock

A well-known military vehicle collector told me, from Nottinghamshire, that the Tank Cemetery was photographed by the Belgium Air Force with those cameras that detect different temperatures. They must be in some archive, somewhere, this would have been in the late 20th centuary

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ww1 tank in the USSR ww2. One of two Photo from my collection

ww1 tank in 1941 ussr.jpg

ww1 tanks in the USSR ww2.  The other one of two. Then the two. I think they ended up in Berlin. Photos from my collection

ww1 tank ussr.jpg

ww1 tanks at Smolensk ww2 (2) (2018_04_25 09_50_13 UTC).jpg

Hi, these tanks were photographed quite often outside Smolensk Cathedral - see another photo here https://www.alamy.com/tanks-in-front-of-the-cathedrals-of-smolensk-operation-barbarossa-german-invasion-of-russia-1941-15th-infantary-division-of-the-thuringia-kurhessen-division-image359297430.html

You're correct to say they were moved to Berlin and their later history is summarised in this Reddit post. Thanks again for sharing all these photos!

John

On 21/12/2023 at 17:07, morrisc8 said:

Tanks on blocks?

ww1 tank war.jpg

The Mark I tanks used during the Battle of Flers Courcelette (Sep 1916)  had their whole track system checked before and after the battle. This includes placing them on blocks (see image of Chaos II below at the Loop railhead).

I have not seen this image before but, they look like a female (on the left) and a male on the right. 

Chaos II at the Loop.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just came in the post Tank number 586 D28. German on the back of the postcard. Found this info on the internet.

MkII female, tank "586", which was knocked out in front of the Hindenburg Line near Riencourt on 11/4/17?

And this info.

The tank is from British unit No. 11 Company, D Battalion, commanded by Lieutenant Clarkson, and took part in the Battle of Bullecourt on 11 April 1917. Although some sources claim this tank had penetrated as far as Riencourt and Hendecourt, it is now known to have been disabled near the German trench lines and left behind on the battlefield. 

A good link to more info. 

https://bjmh.gold.ac.uk/index.php/bjmh/article/download/1690/1795/2070

ww1 tank back german1.jpg

ww1 tank 586.jpg

Edited by morrisc8