Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British tank photos

morrisc8

What an unbelievable collection of photos - many thanks for pointing this out, as I've never seen the site before. Fortunately my French is just about good enough to make sense of it. In any case, the photos speak for themselves.

John

Postcard from my collection shows a captured British tank used by the germans blown up. Good view of the inside. Might be the one knocked out at Tahure .

ww1 tank blown up 3c.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

All these are completely new to me. Thanks again!

John

On 10/08/2023 at 13:51, johntaylor said:

t looks as though the right-hand one has a Mark I steering mechanism, and the left-hand one has an unusual superstructure which I've never seen before.

It does rather look like a steering mechanism, but as for the superstructure ???

On 10/08/2023 at 13:51, johntaylor said:

The writing on the back must be in French but I can't read the words between "Tank" and "un train". I wondered if the second word was "dessous" but it doesn't really fit.

Tank pris derriere un train = Tank taken from behind a train, I feel pretty sure

To me in the foreground also looks like the buffers between a loco and a carriage or between two carriages.

M

British tank captured by the germans. Postcard from my collection. shell used as a mine in the foreground.

ww1 tank german 1a.jpg

ww1 tank german colour.jpg

ww1 tank german 1b.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Thank you for posting these photos and for your colourisations too.

So much more than a war in black & white.

M

On 21/08/2023 at 20:37, morrisc8 said:

shell used as a mine in the foreground

This is great - presumably every wooden square conceals an up-pointed shell.

I have this original photo on glass taken by a army doctor. 

Has the number B7 on the front. Anyone have any info on this tank. Photo might have been taken at the end of the war?

ww1tankB7(2)(2018_01_1318_51_57UTC).jpg.efb858c3033587b56d4c079309a0e8b9.jpg

ww1 tank B7 colour.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

One more from my collection. French training on a British tank that they gave them in late 1918. The British did supply a few tanks and they were still around in 1940 but were scrap by then.

ww1 tank with the french 1918 (2022_11_06 17_31_47 UTC).jpg

On 10/08/2023 at 12:47, morrisc8 said:

One more original photo came in the post. Two tanks next to a railway.

Could be at a workshop? Looks like a wheel behind the tank on the right.

ww1 tanks train. close up.jpg

ww1 british tanks.jpg

ww1 tank train back.jpg

The tank on the left is a Tank Mark I Male, that on the right also a Tank Mark I.  The "superstructure" is the girder installed above the hull to take the weight of the sponsons as they're fitted and removed.  I am pretty sure this photo has been reproduced the wrong way around, judging by the cover for the machine gun between the driver and commander's visors. This should be offset to the port side, but in the photo it's offset to the starboard.

On 19/08/2023 at 11:39, morrisc8 said:

Tank at the workshop at Saint-Chamond. Original photo from my collection.

Not a good photo but getting hard to find an original.

ww1 tank photo workshop.jpg

This is the most interesting of your photos, though it is already known to me.  It shows Experimental Machine A (EMA) at the Saint Chamond works, where it was being fitted with the St Chamond petrol electric transmission prior to the Oldbury trials.  It wasn't completed in time for the trials and I believe never returned to England, though the installation of the transmission was eventually completed.

On 29/08/2023 at 10:30, morrisc8 said:

One more from my collection. French training on a British tank that they gave them in late 1918. The British did supply a few tanks and they were still around in 1940 but were scrap by then.

ww1 tank with the french 1918 (2022_11_06 17_31_47 UTC).jpg

A Tank Mark V* Male in French service.  Britain supplied France with 87 of these tanks, and another 13 Females.  They are well photographed and all their serial numbers are known.

Thank you sidearm for the info . The back of the Saint Chamond works photo. I have put the photo the other way round. [ photo taken from the railway track ] The original is the first photo i put up of it. I do have a few photos of the French use of the British tanks most taken in 1940 taken by the Germans.

image.png.994c5112aa0fb823c1a17e4667263b63.png

ww1 tanks train. close up. other way round.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Original photo taken by a German officer of F22 Flying Fox. The tank went over the bridge and it gave way and fell into the canal.

Photo from my collection.

ww1 tank F22 Flying Fox. back of photo (2018_01_13 18_51_57 UTC).jpg

ww1 tank F22 Flying Fox (2) (2018_01_13 18_51_57 UTC).jpg

Postcard from my collection 2nd photo. Colour one on glass . shell used as a mine , same tank as posted on 19th and 21 Aug.

ww1 tank in german use colour.jpgtank hit mine ww1 m.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

5 hours ago, morrisc8 said:

Bit of an odd photo of what looks like a us navy guy with a ships anchor in front of two tanks. Photo from my collection.

A four prong grapnel anchor with fixed ring. 

The picture perhaps depicts some long lost early version of a self recovery ground anchor? It was amazing what the Navy and Engineers could do with a fixed point in terms of moving the apparently immovable.  The US Army was new to tanks in the Great War but not averse to applying common sense solutions to recognised problems. 

Odd ...... no doubt. 

Both tanks appear to be well damaged.

Edited by TullochArd

The anchor/grappling hook was used to drag barbed wire out of the way. 

1 minute ago, Gareth Davies said:

The anchor/grappling hook was used to drag barbed wire out of the way. 

TVM.