Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British tank photos

morrisc8

Yes please!

On 23/12/2023 at 09:11, johntaylor said:

Love it! But seriously, I've never seen this photo before and have no idea what's going on. Hopefully someone will be along who knows more about the Mark I than I do.

John

I suspect that the tanks are being prepared for sponson removal prior to rail transport. Elevating the tank gives room for the sponson trolley to be positioned under the sponson. The alternative was to dig a shallow trench under the sponson and roll the trolley down into it.

I will do my best but it is hard to find and buy ones that everyone has not seen. I do have a good collection of British ww1 tanks

used by the French and left/scrap at a camp in 1940 with new owners [ Germans ]. Photo from my collection.

Keith [ morrisc8 ]

ww1 tank in 1940 (2022_05_14 12_28_05 UTC).jpg

Edited by morrisc8

On 19/12/2023 at 12:08, johntaylor said:

Another fascinating photo. There is a list of Whippets here, but I can't see the number in the photo clearly enough: https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/lists/whippets?authuser=0

John

Now i have the photo here and looking at it close up  it looks like A221.  The landships site has a few photos of it with others, on my photo it still has the box on the back and the back door taken off. Photos 2-3 and 4 are from the IWM

ww1 wippit A221.jpg

ww1 wippit A221. german scrapyard.png

ww1 wippit A221. german scrapyard 3.png

ww1 wippit A221. german scrapyard 4.png

I've seen quite a few shots of Liesl, but that is the best one ever. What a great angle!  Also well done for identifying the Whippet - that's definitely the correct one.

John

Those are similar to the photos I've seen before. But the one with the man and three women is very distinctive - the camera angle is unusual and it makes for a very strong photograph. They're all great shots though!

John

This is for sale on E-bay. Could it be the Poelcapelle tank taken in the 1920's ?

Tank post war.jpg

image.png.c840e9e2dc41fcb3671a8f58f8e8a6bb.png

image.png.49f4f9a93cffe43c27211033d60fd967.png

Yes - definitely D29 Damon II, which remained on display in Poelcappelle until taken away by the Germans in WWII. It was a popular attraction for visitors between the wars and there are lots of photos, of which these are are very fine examples.

John

POELK.jpg

POELKAPELLE1.jpg

More terrific photos. I'm sure you know about the Poelcapelle 1917 Association, who built their own full-size working replica of a Mark IV tank to replace Damon. It's been an amazing project: https://www.tankpoelcapelle.be/en

John

Cambrai 1917

012.jpg

Cambrai 1917

010.jpg

Peter

That thing! A couple of years ago I spoke to the fellows who were operating this item at a show. Saying politely that the shape was all wrong, they turned their back on me and would not engage in any further conversation.

12 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

That thing! A couple of years ago I spoke to the fellows who were operating this item at a show. Saying politely that the shape was all wrong, they turned their back on me and would not engage in any further conversation.

It's the tank built originally for "The Magic Flute" so issues of weight etc on a sound stage were of more consideration at the time than getting the shape/size 100% correct. I worked with it doing some filming for Finding the Fallen/The Trench Detectives a few years after that so got to see it up close and personal, inside and out. I also speak from experience when I say the current owner definitely has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to issues over it's lack of authenticity being raised...

MagicFlutetank.jpg.79b78833f063685cb35f4ab36ebf47d7.jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Don't know much about the "new" tank, just saw it in passing near Cambridge, maybe 15 years ago, thought it unusual.

Peter

The Poelkapelle replica tank is completely accurate and stunningly lifelike - this is a photo I took last year with some reenactors in Flesquieres.

Thanks for more fantastic photos. I think this may be turning into a classic thread.

All the best,
John

IMG_8731.JPEG

Thanks John. I hoped that we put photos of the tanks that are not seen much on here.

Keith

You've certainly done that Keith. Thanks again!

John

Poelkapelle 1919 with tank. The village is completely destroyed.

002.jpg

1 hour ago, Cnock said:

Poelkapelle 1919 with tank. The village is completely destroyed.

002.jpg

I have lived with that photograph since 1970, it is from the Michelin Guides. The Belgians built their houses around it at the road junction.