Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British tank photos

morrisc8

On 24/04/2023 at 12:18, johntaylor said:

Fantastic photos, and thanks for sharing them. I'm not sure what uniform/cap badge the man is wearing but they definitely look like post-war photos - the debris is battered and rusty and has obviously been there a long time. The tank is a Mark IV female and would be impossible to identify unless there are other photos of the same wreckage. This is quite likely as some of the old tank wrecks were frequently visited and photographed. Unfortunately this one doesn't ring any bells with me, but someone else may well recognise it, or at least suggest a location.

John

Hi John,

This is the tank Angostura, Menin Road  Ypres!

I have many postcards in my collection of this tank.

Greetings,

Stijn

• 2 weeks later...

I know it`s not British but i like the photo with a guy pouring wine into a cup and it`s a good photo of a French F17 tank. The track looks to be off on the front.

The British Army used 24 FTs for command and liaison duties, usually with the gun removed. This one has a MG on the front.

Photo from my collection.

ww1 French tank with crew.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

• 4 weeks later...

The British Army used 24 FTs for command and liaison duties

Tank-Char signal or TSF: a command tank with a radio. "TSF" stands for télégraphie sans fil ("wireless"). No armament, three-men crew, 300 were ordered by the French of which 188 were produced in totalThe wire antenna was stretched between the retractable mast on the wheelhouse and the frame at the end of the “tail”. Radio communication reached up to 80 km.

Postcard from my collection.

ww1 french tank sig rec.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Just bought this photo postcard of F13  [ Falcon II ] of 16 Coy F Battalion. captured by the Germans on November 27th 1917. Bourlon Village/Wood  

Above the xxxx are these MGs taken out. Info on the back.

ww1 tank F13 kb.jpg

ww1 tank F13 back 1.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple from a well-known online auction site (I have no connection to the sale or the seller):

1699357807446.jpeg

1699357599525.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I have just bought this Whippet tank photo [ should be in the post to me ] on the side you can just make out a number 2 [ A then number ]

Can any one id the tank info from the photo. Number. unit.

image.png.6c2a38e239245978138c585b881bdc17.png

ww1 tank wippit 2.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

Another fascinating photo. There is a list of Whippets here, but I can't see the number in the photo clearly enough: https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/lists/whippets?authuser=0

John

More fantastic photos. A22 Auld Reekie was knocked out on July 31,1917 - see account here which links to the same postcard on Flickr (though in much lower resolution): https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/third-ypres-narratives/2company31july1917?authuser=0

Re the earlier photos, B28 Black Arrow II was knocked out in the failed attack on Fontaine-Notre-Dame on November 23, 1917, and was photographed quite a few times after falling into German hands: https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/cambrai-narratives/comp-coy-b-battalion-23-november-1917?authuser=0

B8 Banshee was captured during the same attack, and the IWM has another photo taken at Cambrai station, where the 'Beutepanzer' were loaded on trains and taken away: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205215593 

The photo also shows C14 Culloden II which was also captured on November 23, but in a separate attack near La Folie Wood: https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1917/cambrai-narratives/7-company-23-november-1917?authuser=0

Re Don Quixote II, this survived the Battle of Cambrai but was captured during the chaotic rearguard response to Operation Michael in March 1918. According to the excellent Landships site, it was then operating with 5th (E) Bn although it was a D Bn tank.

Apart from the post-war postcard, it's notable that all these photos were taken by the Germans - thank heavens they didn't ban soldiers from battlefield photography, unlike the British.

Thanks again for sharing these excellent images,

John

I have just bought this tank photo [ should be in the post to me ] 

ww1 tank A3 Zillebeke.

Thanks John for the info on the tanks.

ww1 tank Zillebeke inside.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

17 minutes ago, morrisc8 said:

Tanks on blocks?

ww1 tank war.jpg

Perhaps one of the Liverpool regiments was billeted nearby?  Wonder what the market was like for "acquired" tank tracks? :D

Edited by Buffnut453

Love it! But seriously, I've never seen this photo before and have no idea what's going on. Hopefully someone will be along who knows more about the Mark I than I do.

John

Edited by johntaylor

It's possible, but I can't see how they would do that with the tracks on blocks which would stop them rotating. I wondered if it was to do with testing or adjusting the rear steering mechanism, but I can't see why they would need to raise the tank to do that.

John

On 23/12/2023 at 17:41, morrisc8 said:

Could it be they are testing the running gear. Tracks, runners, and Engine.

...... cracking thread morris8 ..... fascinating ......... keep the coming for 2024!