Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can get his medals?

sylvie sillince

Ive just had my application approved by the medal office for the BWM and VM for my great Uncle ( 1 week turnaround).  It seems a polite letter with roll evidence does the trick.

Now to see how long they take to make and dispatch. 

• 3 months later...

VM and BWM medals arrived today for Trooper T A Siddall, Duke of Lancasters Own Yeomanry.

Three months since application. 

About 100 years to the day since they were sent out and didn’t make it to the family because they had moved.  

Edited by AndrewSid

Here we are.  Very shiny when compared with originals. Engraved on rim like the others mentioned here.

7F6AF625-B8B2-4BBB-9A30-44D74A17CA11.jpeg

Edited by AndrewSid

1 hour ago, AndrewSid said:

Very shiny when compared with originals

We certainly agree on new issues being shiny!

I wonder how they compare with those issued 100 years ago - perhaps they were extra shiny too back then. ??

Regardless = Well done.

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

Still peeved that the Maritime Agency responsible for merchant marine unclaimed medals are refusing to co-operate!

That's a real shame [Refusing to issue, not you being properly peeved! ;-0 ]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

2 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Great result

(Still peeved that the Maritime Agency responsible for merchant marine unclaimed medals are refusing to co-operate!)

It's inconsistent that one branch of government pursues a policy that's clearly not in line with what the MOD/Medals Office does.

Perhaps you should discuss with your MP to see if he is willing to expend some effort knocking some heads together?

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It's inconsistent that one branch of government pursues a policy that's clearly not in line with what the MOD/Medals Office does.

Perhaps you should discuss with your MP to see if he is willing to expend some effort knocking some heads together?

Thanks Dai, that was something we were considering but hadn't yet got around to. Their excuse was all the dies had been destroyed, the Royal Mint advises they can strike any requested....

2 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Their excuse was all the dies had been destroyed,

"Dear Maritime Agency,

You once told me that you wouldn't issue Great War Medals to those men who for some reason did not receive them at the end of the conflict.
You said that " all the dies had been destroyed".

This is utter bo***cks.

Please refer to this recent thread on the esteemed Great War Forum, where there are several examples of new Great War medals have been issued by the Medals Office on the instruction of the MOD.

I look forward to hearing your next feeble excuse.

Yours

Blah."

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr