Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can get his medals?

sylvie sillince

Just seen the thread -  great result.  I thought the MOD office  were no longer issuing medals for WW1 full stop.  Could i take a view on whether i can apply for my Great Uncles two medals (15 star issued perhaps)?  He died in Oct 1918 after serving in the Middle East with A Squadron the Duke of Lancasters Yeomanry.   

D98B5BE0-AA06-4B65-8792-55A729F61A25.png.a4cd7249bb65f1f97d7ec1546fb2abfd.png

FB9307C3-9E85-4D90-91F7-E9920A155B79.jpeg.d6cbc5ceb6a906f4ce2b47a587288616.jpeg

Good result for Sylvie.

Andrew, KR 992 reads - 'Medals which, at the end of one year, still remain unclaimed, will be sent to the Secretary, The War Office'.

There's nothing on the card or roll which suggests to me they were claimed later. I'd say you have every chance of getting replacement BWM & VM. Haven't check 15 Star Roll but the card implies that was sent out and not returned.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Correction to KR number

3 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Great Uncle Cuthbert Ashton's medals arrived this morning, complete with boxes.

Great result!  Thanks for posting the photo of them.

As @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr- would be interested to know how 'engraved'.

Physically impressed, mechanically engraved, laser etched or ... ?  Photo(s)??

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Still waiting for mine to arrive, ordered beginning of  March.

simon.palmer543(at)mod.gov.uk

may help you AndrewSid? He is at the Medals Office in Innsworth Gloucester

Sylvie

Right -  will get cracking and try my luck with an email and hopefully subsequent application.  Looks like the 15 star issued- see pic.

Ancestory had the unit 15 star role filled under a Northamptonshire regiment tag.  I suppose that’s not as bad as the fact CWGC had him down  as being in the Manchester Regiment 
DBA405E0-BE8D-48A5-AB6B-27CD61A29760.jpeg.7017647afc15888381c5baf4ca0ce4a9.jpeg

Thanks to you all, this morning's postman arrived with a great treat and I have Grandad's VM and BWM in front of me! Also with thanks to the site,  I have purchased a 14 Star and bar as he qualified for that too. 

I am thrilled, he deserved them - just forgot to tell anyone that he had moved!

20210615_121346.jpg.c94ccc1f3622c80c6b76e5d131dffc98.jpg

@AndrewSid, prior to COVID, they did accept e-mail applications, but during COVID, they were only accepting paper-based applications, with effect from 21 May 2020. They reiterated that statement several weeks back, on 20 May 2021.

If you go to the following link,
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility
at the bottom is the section with the title

Contact the MOD Medal Office

You will find the telephone number and the postal address. There's also an e-mail address for the department, too.

Hope this is of use.

Good luck with your application
Keith

9 hours ago, sylvie sillince said:

this morning's postman arrived with a great treat and I have Grandad's VM and BWM in front of me!

Sylvie,

Nice!

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Quick question - how are they 'engraved'?

Physically impressed, mechanically engraved, laser etched or ... ?  Photo(s)??

9 hours ago, sylvie sillince said:

I have purchased a 14 Star and bar 

From the MO or another source?

Same question - Physically impressed, mechanically engraved, laser etched or ... ?  Photo(s)??

Now I'm wondering where my application to the MO is at - applied for 4 months ago and still no sign ??? :-/

There's an image of the naming on a reissue star here:

I have seen VM and BWM naming here before but can't find the posts.

The naming is faithful to the original, but in a modern form.

Dave

46 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

There's an image of the naming on a reissue star here:

Thanks for the thread link and its image - from 2016 = Mechanically engraved

Interested because there is another thread on the forum in which a recent purchaser of replacement medals, from other than the MO, reports that they were laser etched [apparently rather faintly done].

Guess I'll will just have to wait.

Patience is a virtue  - and after 100+ years I guess any wait now is likely to be considered a short one!

Edited by Matlock1418

4 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks for the thread link and its image - from 2016 = Mechanically engraved

Interested because there is another thread on the forum in which a recent purchaser of replacement medals, from other than the MO, reports that they were laser etched [apparently rather faintly done].

Guess I'll will just have to wait.

Patience is a virtue  - and after 100+ years I guess any wait now is likely to be considered a short one!

Indeed. I'm amazed still that officially it's stated that "WWI medal replacements are no longer available " and elsewhere official "WWI medal replacements are available" Although the latter is only for returned medals. 

It would be very easy for somebody to be put off applying.

Dave

37 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

Indeed. I'm amazed still that officially it's stated that "WWI medal replacements are no longer available " and elsewhere official "WWI medal replacements are available" Although the latter is only for returned medals. 

It would be very easy for somebody to be put off applying.

Yes, certainly might dissuade anyone who wasn't a GWF member or who didn't know any better from making an appropriate claim!

Technically I think replacement(s) are not offered by the MO, but issue/reissue(s) instead.

As you noted - Only issue/reissue(s) when originally not formally issued/not claimed/not delivered/returned

[as original(s) long melted down now - shame you can't get the original(s) out of some dusty store!]

If you want a replacement(s) I think you now have to go to an alternative supplier for plain/unnamed, or named at extra cost.

[some GWF members would suggest replacement(s) not engraved so as to retain resale value of a plain/unnamed medal(s) - after all not the original(s) and plain/unnamed would work just as well if being used as part of a display]

Great to get issue/reissue(s) though - thanks MO.

Edited by Matlock1418

29 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

Those reissued medals are sooooo shiny by comparison to those I/we are familiar with!

So in how many years' time will they be just right?

And what will the original issues look like then?

Until he died my GF gently polished his original issue BWM for Remembrance Sundays. So what should I do with it?

And what to do with the new ones?

In my opinion don't do anything other than lightly dry polish the VM but Stars and BWM are perhaps a different matter - to personal taste?

Ok, I know there have been several other threads before on this other topic - and so many opinions!

So sorry to raise yet again, but seems a valid matter for the recipients of reissues  :-/  = Perhaps best to look at the other threads for greater detail and for extensive further comment ??

As yet we seem to agree on this - it's great to get/see the new reissues at long last.

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Sorry for the delay - not been around much.  Here's a photo.  Re applying, as has been stated previously, just go to the website, complete the form and supply the appropriate documentation.  I think it makes it easier for them (and quicker for you) if you just follow their instructions.  That's what we did and as Dai Bach said, just a couple of months later ....

IMG_20210617_104222.jpg.bbfa10e5a5ac4cb8d1a36fe663fe953c.jpg

As requested, a pic of the engraving - I have no idea what sort of engraving it is!

Thank you

DSCF3426.JPG.f95ff330e6470708d999777c4ba89562.JPG

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

Here's a photo

1 hour ago, sylvie sillince said:

a pic of the engraving

Thanks for the pics.  Looks very clear naming.

It think it looks like mechanical engraving and not mechanical impressing - So not quite like the original issues.

But I presume the original impressing machines were likely long ago scrapped - Really good to get regardless. :-)  Well done both.

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Re applying, as has been stated previously, just go to the website, complete the form and supply the appropriate documentation.  I think it makes it easier for them (and quicker for you) if you just follow their instructions. 

I did say patience is a virtue!  But my application seemingly predated yours and still waiting.

Nobody has been in touch from the MO to query any possible problem [but probably didn't really expect that] so have recently contacted to enquire - and my application is in a queue.

I guess the application system works - but seemingly just in a peculiar way and varying speed [for mine anyway!]

Here's hoping and looking forward.

5 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

I did say patience is a virtue!  But my application seemingly predated yours and still waiting.

Nobody has been in touch from the MO to query any possible problem [but probably didn't really expect that] so have recently contacted to enquire - and my application is in a queue.

I guess the application system works - but seemingly just in a peculiar way and varying speed [for mine anyway!]

Here's hoping and looking forward.

I don't know why some should be processed before others, unless there is some clarification needed.  I didn't think there would be enough to form a queue but maybe they are doing other medals too.

Fingers crossed.

The medal office at Innsworth are very busy folk.  It’s the same small group of people that process all the serving armed forces medals.  There will be many thousands per year to get through ; long service, Iraq, Africa, Syria, Afghan etc.  WW1 work will be pretty unique to them and a change from the norm. A three month turn around is very good I’d say from past experience. 

2 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

maybe they are doing other medals too.

1 hour ago, AndrewSid said:

It’s the same small group of people that process all the serving armed forces medals.  There will be many thousands per year to get through ; long service, Iraq, Africa, Syria, Afghan etc.  WW1 work will be pretty unique to them and a change from the norm.

Was what I was presuming [was cautioning others, but not criticising MO] - and I'm happy to wait as after all after a 100+ years what is a few weeks more for a dead man's medal?

Just that I'm not very patient though!  Patience is a virtue - I'm obviously not sufficiently virtuous!

The others do however seem to have had a particularly good turnaround. :-) Luck of the draw I guess.

But certainly better to get the medals out for the living - So go MO, go!

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

The officer at Innsworth mentioned to me that things were slow and disjointed by Covid restrictions! For instance not actually being in the office often to even collect post etc.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2021 at 21:07, Matlock1418 said:

I'm happy to wait as after all after a 100+ years what is a few weeks more for a dead man's medal?

Not waiting any more = Thank you MO. Received today - very shiny!

Not 'impressed' naming on reverse but engraving - not sure how done, can't see machining marks so ??? Never the less seems good and deep.

Very happy to now have in my care. =  Thanks MO.

1914-15 Star - Reissued 2021.JPG