Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can get his medals?

sylvie sillince

33 minutes ago, sylvie sillince said:

can someone tell me what CRV stands for please?

I think thought CRV = Confirmed Receipt Voucher  - Though Wiki think it is Certified Receipt Voucher and other threads/posts here on GWF seem to agree with them - I seem to have learnt something new!

As opposed to IV = Issue Voucher

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
strikethrough and amend

Sylvie,

Can you update this post once you've had a reply or received the medals.

May take some time at present.

TEW

Yes of course, I will update

As someone mentioned above, I am a little concerned that the application form states that they will no longer issue medals awarded prior to WW2.

Do I just fill in the form and send the docs requested and a copy of his MRC - do I also need to send copies of the rolls?

I can't thank you all enough - it's a bit of a nightmare for a novice - off to read the l link advised on the previous page 

21 hours ago, TEW said:

The only remaining problem seems to lie with the MOD. Website is contradicting itself slightly but the actual form states no pre-WW2 are being reissued.

Form is dated May 2020 and the last medals noted on this forum reissued by them is March 2020 so they may have changed the goalposts.

Unless anyone knows of a post May 2020 issue?

Another small point as it seems he bought himself an MM. He would have stood out in a crowd just wearing an MM, a bit of a risky move I think.

TEW

Hi,

It’s just sloppy phrasing

Pre WW2 Medals aren’t being reissued ie replacements but they are still issuing “original” WW1 medals to NOK of men who did not receive them and fit certain criteria - see above 2014 topic.

I would encourage the OP to apply.

Steve

I think Medal Card, and both medal roll pages, a death certificate and your relationship is all that's needed.

TEW

On 18/02/2021 at 22:08, kenf48 said:

Medals were returned against a Certified Receipt Voucher (CRV), and issued, or more accurately in the case of other ranks where for any reason they were not sent out by registered post,  against an  Issue Voucher or IV, invariably seen on officer entries as they had to apply for medals.

Sylvie,

Kenf48 above explains the acronym. As a fairly junior researcher myself, I must admit I had no idea what this meant either until now !!

Thank you Kenf48

It will be very interesting for us all to hear the result of your application Sylvie !!

I will certainly apply and will certainly update the thread with the results. It's the least I can do!

Thank you all again.

Sylvie

As requested - the outcome - and a very good one too! Please see an extract from the medals office below.

"I have managed to find the medal card for your grandfather and it does show that the British War and Victory Medals were returned in 1922, I am therefore content to re-issue these 2 awards. There is however no reference to the 1914 Star being returned (these were issued separately) and so I am unable to re-issue this one.

If you could ask your grandfather’s immediate next of kin to complete the attached application form and return it (via post) with a copy of the medal index card, we can then continue with your request."

He went on to say that there was no mention of the word 'forfeit' on the MIC and therefore, the medals would be sent to me on completion of the form and copy of the MIC. I will get his daughter (100 this summer) to sign as next of kin and off we go!

Once again, thank you all for your help, this would not have  happened without your advice

Good outcome!

TEW

• 1 month later...

Wow Sylvie, 

that is an excellent outcome indeed! Great work.

thank you for letting us all know!

15 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Wonderful outcome, shame that medals then unclaimed cannot now be claimed.

I think the point is that medals can be claimed [perhaps not all that often], if they have not been issued and previously fully delivered/received [returned medals have not been considered delivered/received] - though they will not be the originals as they will not have kept in a dusty drawer for 100 years -They will be new manufactured.

In this case there is a question over whether the Star was delivered - if in doubt the MoD MO will not reissue.

However, subject to an application the BWM & VM should be receivable in due course.

Great outcome in the offing it seems.

:-) M

The Medals Officer did tell me that there would be a long wait whilst new replacements were struck. That wait is longer due to Coronavirus restrictions. Meanwhile I am keeping my fingers crossed. I applied on March 5th.

It's interesting to think that because he had both the words 'desertion' and 'returned' on this records, I had assumed the first had caused the latter rather than that they were just undelivered! It is thanks to this site that I applied at all!

I thought that having to return his medals was a bit harsh as he did not leave the army until well after the end of the war and spent the rest of his life suffering the results of a gun shot to his hand!

How wrong I was!

Will attach a photo when they arrive

Sylvie

Congratulations on the news that two replacement medals will be issued. You could buy a reproduction medal from the company that makes modern medals for the MOD, by Royal Appointment, and perhaps mount all three in a frame?
https://www.worcmedals.com/1914-Star-(Copy)

I have seen pictures where a family member's trio have been framed, with either a photo of that person, or a reproduction of their medal index card, but don't recall seeing any images of framed medals on the forum as of late. At least one member frames them professionally.

Thank you again. I have ordered a Star with clasp - he received a gun shot wound on 30 Oct 1914. I will look to see if the Bedfordshires were in a particular battle that day! He drove ammunition carts to the front line according to my father.

I will make a note when the medals are handed down through the family that this is a copy and why he did not receive it as I understand now from both Medal Roll books that he did not receive the star and as he 'deserted 22 Dec 1918'

The BWM and VM were returned in 1922 which is why the Medals Office will reissue those.

Continued thanks - my son will be delighted and his wife ( a history teacher with particular interest in Military History) will use  them in her lessons to secondary pupils. 

On 18/02/2021 at 23:19, TEW said:

Unless anyone knows of a post May 2020 issue?

SWMBO applied for her great uncle's BWM and VM - posted on Tuesday of this week.  She had an email this afternoon confirming the re-issue of the medals to her.  The medals were returned because his parents had both died during the war and there was nobody at the house to receive them.  His brothers had all moved away by the time the medals were issued.

Good result!

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

SWMBO applied for her great uncle's BWM and VM - posted on Tuesday of this week.  She had an email this afternoon confirming the re-issue of the medals to her.  The medals were returned because his parents had both died during the war and there was nobody at the house to receive them.  His brothers had all moved away by the time the medals were issued.

Good result!

Great result, well done!

Sadly the maritime agency does not support claims for unclaimed maritime medals.

Don,   Pictures when medals received, please?

3 hours ago, bif said:

Don,   Pictures when medals received, please?

Will do bif.  I gather it may take a bit longer to receive the medals than it took for the application to be accepted as the medals are made by "an outside source".

Reg

• 1 month later...

Great Uncle Cuthbert Ashton's medals arrived this morning, complete with boxes.  As promised:

1330724971_AshtonCmedals.jpg.8154b4f5bb0f52c4605f6df9d7f69402.jpg

Well done.

So that only took 2 months?

Just to give other applicants some idea?

What does the engraving look like?

:thumbsup: