Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorial books

shaymen

Thanks to all for the recent adittions, will update my lists.

Hope to add mine later this year.

Quite amazing the amount of memorial books out there.

Glyn

• 1 month later...

Hi Glyn,

Please could you had Cravens Part In The Great War website your list, click on link below.

Many Thanks.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Glyn

Purton & its war memorials , Dr Belt published 1996 (Wiltshire , Swindon ) i believe you can get it through the Purton Historical society for a few quid

You may of seen some of my threads relating to Purton war memorial, i am trying to put together a far more in depth booklet myself,( Dr Belts coveres the period WW2 more in depth ) if you do get a reply from the Purton Historical society please ask them to reply to my e-mails i wish to promote the village not plunder the silver, indeed hopefully raise a few quid for the War memorials Trust..................... 7 weeks on & still no reply from them ...... rant over

Bob

Glyn

Please feel free to add my website. It covers the men on St Augustine's church memorial in Addlestone, Surrey. A memorial now in private hands.

Full list of names & some details of service included. More to be added as I research it.

www.freewebs.com/addlestonegreatwardead

Andy

• 7 months later...

Forum Members

I have had my booklet printed.....

PURTON, VILLAGE SONS & THE GREAT WAR.

For those aware of the lack of help from within the village, it continued upto printing unfortunately. Saying that i have very few people to thank in relation to it save for the village kids for the artwork, printer for doing me a good deal & most importantly all forum members who have helped me over the last few monthes. The research continues, more awkward questions to answer , more headstones to research

many many thanks again

Bob Lloyd

Aldridge, Walsall. A couple of years ago my book called Leaving The Village was published by Walsall MBC. It details the 101 men on the Aldridge War Memorial (60 Great War and 41 Second World War). My fees for the project were donated to a local charity, Rosies Helping Hands. They may have copies if anyone wants one, or otherwise Walsall Local History Centre. Sue

Please add this one.

Available on line and sometimes as a locally published book from the Local History Society.

www.caerwentcom.com/BOOKREMB/remstart.htm

Regards

Gareth

• 7 months later...

I have a deep desire to get in touch with D Parkinson who compiled Kirkham's "Soldiers and sailors Gazette" issued in 2004. A personally produced spiral bound copy is held at Kirkham Library, Lancashire. It is based on 2 issues of a Gazette published in the first 12 months of the war principally listing men of the town but also some of the surrounding villages who went to war. I'm not certain but feel sure the author went beyond the Gazette and added names of those who went to war after the 2nd Gazette was published and has annotated the substantial list with details of the individual and their family etc. If anyone has any knowledge of D Parkinson I'd be grateful for information or to have my contact details passed on (PM me). So far as I know the copy at the library is the only one available for public consultation.

Jan

Hi Glyn

Birmingham has "The Roll of Honour of Birmingham Men & Woman Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914-1918. Contains 13500 names. This book was published to commerate the opening of Birmingham's Hall of Memory on the 4th July 1925.

Tony

My book 'Faces to Names'- The men of Mansfield Woodhouse who fought and fell in the Great War is now printed and ready to purchase.