Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorial books

shaymen

Glyn,

I produced a booklet covering my local war memorials in, Stevenage, Aston, Benington & Walkern.

Email me your address and I will send you a copy (free of charge).

It might give you some pointers on what not to do!!

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Glyn

You may also want to add www.carlscam.com.

Major family history website with listings of the names on just every war memorial in Cheshire. No research into the names - just a transcription of whatever are the memorial inscriptions.

John

Paul

Many thanks - email on its way.

John

Than you for the info.

Glyn

Hi Malcolm,

I thought Langemarck was a German only cemetery. We went there on the recent Pals tour.

From your link: EASTON Alexander Flemming  Pte Juniper Green HLI 09/01/18  age32 Langemark,Belgium..

I must have missed him..

Robbie

Robbie,

As you enter Langemarck and stand in front of the vast mass grave which is surrounded by those stumpy pillars with so many German names writ upon them you will see a plaque on the end of the nearest pillar on your left recording the names of two British soldiers buried somewhere in the cemetery.

Martin

Robbie,

As you enter Langemarck and stand in front of the vast mass grave which is surrounded by those stumpy pillars with so many German names writ upon them you will see a plaque on the end of the nearest pillar on your left recording the names of two British soldiers buried somewhere in the cemetery.

Martin

Thanks Martin. Another excuse for a revisit.

Robbie :D

Glyn

I have recently self-published a 248-page book detailing my researches in respect of the men of Pelsall (near Walsall, West Midlands) village who died in the Great War. The title is, 'The True and Faithful Men - Pelsall Servicemen in the Great War'. The local war memorial posts 48 names; I have traced another 60 who died and have traced 338 who served and survived.

Hope this helps

Ken Waymankenwayman74@aol.com

Thanks Steve, Ken

Ken, nice one mate - it will be on the list.

Glyn

I have a brand new copy of Ray Westlake's "First world war graves and memorials in Gwent", Volume 1, for sale. I bought it from N+M Press last week thinking it was "Ghent".

Robbie :lol:

• 1 year later...

Here is new memorial website linked to discussions on this thread. Borden Battery

Stevenage at War

This website is dedicated to the memory the men and women of Stevenage, Aston, Benington and Walkern [uK] who served and lost their lives in both world wars. The website features the alphabetical listing of soldiers killed in the Great War and the Second World War. These name listings are cross-indexed by each municipal memorial or cenotaph. The listings themselves generally include: name, rank, regimental number, age, military unit, photograph of the soldier or headstone, short biography, short summary of the action leading to death, date of death, cemetery of interment and medal entitlement. This simple formatted website includes a large amount of basic information for both the general historian and serious military researcher. [July 2006]

http://www.stevenageatwar.com/nsindex.html

Hope you have got them all down Glyn,

A couple more for you.

Unreturning Youth, Spaldwick, Cambs

Memorial of Rugbeians, Rugby School.

Harrow Memorials Harrow School.

Balliol College War Memorial Book.

Andy

Here's a couple which may not have been mentioned:

"We Will Remember Them: Kirkcudbright's Sons 1914-1918" by ian Devlin, published 2005 by Kirkcudbright History society. I bought my copy from Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society.

"Croydon and the Great War" published in 1920.

That any use to you?

David

Eye:

"The Book of Eye"{Nr Peterborough,Cambs}Compiled in 1921,by the local Vicar & details the War Effort,Founding of the Memorial & The Men who went & didn't return & most of those who went & came back,POWs,Wounded,Some photos of most KiA/DoW Casualties.

Lampeter:

"Town & Parish Of Lampeter War Memorial Book".

A terrific little booklet with many photographs of those who died,the War Memorial committee.{Unveiling Feb 14 1921}

Purchased @ a King's Lynn Antiques Fair for 50p!

Lampeter:

"Town & Parish Of Lampeter War Memorial Book".

A terrific little booklet with many photographs of those who died,the War Memorial committee.{Unveiling Feb 14 1921}

Can be seen on the following:Gathering the Jewels

Myrtle

Thanks all

All noted - have had this one on the back burner for a while - have compiled a document with them all listed a while ago. Must now get back to it, after the world cup :D

When I've finished my book I can add it to the list :P

Glyn

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently self published a book on my village War Memorial - Snitterfield in Warwickshire.

5 years of rewarding and interesting research

Bob

Tell us a bit more about it - I will add it to the list.

How much, Where available etc.

Glyn

• 11 months later...

Hi Glyn,

I am a new member of the forum and have just found your post. I have written a book on my homw War Memorial at Laugharne, in Carmarthenshire, West Wales. There are details on my website-

www.laugharnewarmemorial.co.uk

All the best,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been researching the Blairgowrie & Rattray War Memorial, Perthshire off & on for the last 5 years. A book has been published and it may be of interest to Pals who are researching and/or interested in this type of work. Most will know the work that goes into the research.

It lists 175 men from the Great War, 71 from WW2 and 2 from the War in Korea. Most have a photo together with sketch bio. A4 276 pages.

post-12504-1183492222.jpg

Money goes to cover publishing costs as it was a purely local funded project.

See attached link for order details

http://www.alexandercarrick.webeden.co.uk/ (Bronze Age - Blairgowrie 2)

Thanks for interest.

Mark

Just to add to your list from a newbie- 'The Democracy of War- The History of Anstruther and Cellardyke in the First World War' has just been published by the local history society. A particular feature of the 180 pages is the story of the men who served at sea, who make up 50% of the casualties on the Cellardyke memorial . There is an accompanying website - www.democracyofwar.org.uk- which will update the story as more information comes to light ( some of which has already from this forum). Any comments or additions very welcome.

post-23110-1183816351.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

bablake school and the great war in Coventry cover the war memorial

also locally Doing its part nobly king henry VIII and the great war

Kenilworth and the great war

Kineton and the great war

Have a local at tom morgan military books and my web page www.warmemorialpark.co.uk

Have been researching the Blairgowrie & Rattray War Memorial, Perthshire off & on for the last 5 years. A book has been published and it may be of interest to Pals who are researching and/or interested in this type of work. Most will know the work that goes into the research.

It lists 175 men from the Great War, 71 from WW2 and 2 from the War in Korea. Most have a photo together with sketch bio. A4 276 pages.

post-12504-1183492222.jpg

Money goes to cover publishing costs as it was a purely local funded project.

See attached link for order details

http://www.alexandercarrick.webeden.co.uk/ (Bronze Age - Blairgowrie 2)

Thanks for interest.

Mark

Whilst holidaying recently in Scotland I called in at Blairgowrie and bought Mark Duffy's book on the Blairgowrie & Rattray War Memorial and was very impressed by it. It's well researched and detailed and the facts provided are an impressive legacy to all those, mainly ordinary persons, who nevertheless often accomplished extra-ordinary deeds for their country. I certainly recommend it.

Jim Martin

Another for your list......

Ainsdale War Memorial

Can't tell you who wrote it (might infringe the no advertising rule), but copies are available from the author, Amazon or from www.cornerofaforeignfield.co.uk

Bruce

Two more books for your list from the Yorkshire Dales

Wensleydale Remembered

Wharfedale and Swaledale Remembered

by Keith Taylor

Include detailed research on those listed on War Memorials.

June

You might like to include our website -

www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk

This is an ongoing project of Peter and June Underwood which so far covers about two thirds of Buckinghamshire. It includes photographs of War Memorials and research on the individual names listed on them. Photographs of individuals are included where possible.

June