Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War memorial books

shaymen

I am currently researching my local Stansted (Essex) War Memorial for a future book.I would love to hear about any other books (Booklets or Websites) which commemorate Local Mems.

I know of a few but would like to get a list together of all those out there.

Note - Got yours Bob(Pike) - Excellent read.

Thanks

Glyn

Glyn<

Thanks for the book plug!

Ray Westlake Book Catalogue used to have a long list, now he's retired post Tom Morgan on this Forum, he took over from Ray.

Also I think the former editor of the WFA Bullletin, James Grazier, compiled a list, I presume the WFA still have it?

Bob

Glyn

There are currently three covering various memorials in the Stockport area.

"Remembered", P Clarke, A Cook & J Bintliff details the lives and deaths of the men on the High Lane Memorial and the two in Marple.

"Hazel Grove to Armageddon", John Eaton does the business for the Hazel Grove memorial. John has also done the WW2 men in a book which I think is called "Hazel Grove goes to War Again"

And my own website (link below) does a similar job for the four memorials in Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme, Gatley and Long Lane.

John

Glyn,

There is a book that covers my local area

The Southend & District Roll of Honour

1914 - 1921

compiled from original sources by

Jeffrey Jarvis.

It covers the area of SE Essex that used to be covered by the local newspaper "The Southend Standard" and has the entries from the newspaper for most individuals.

It also covers war graves in the Southend area (excluding names included in the roll of honour) which includes the men who died in the three military hospitals in the area.

It is limited to 100 copies.

Andy

... I know of a few but would like to get a list together of all those out there. ...

Difficult. The majority are 'grey' publications, either self published with minimal or no marketing, or simply typescripts lodged with the local library.

I know of a few but would like to get a list together of all those out there.

Note - Got yours Bob(Pike) - Excellent read.

Thanks

Glyn

Compiling such a list is a tall order, as I understand it could easily run into thousands. However, such a list would be a very useful resource.

Contacting the many family history societies would give a good start, ploughing through the book reviews in the WFA journals, and consulting booklists such as Tom Morgan's. Even more interesting would be a list of the short run privately-published books documenting Grandad's letters from the Front etc. These are especially valuable where no official unit history exists.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Sounds like a bit of a massive task.

KEEP 'EM COMING AND WE'LL SEE WHERE IT LEADS

Like your idea Kate.

Nice plug for yours again Bob.

Many Thanks

Glyn

Found it! I have a six & half page foolscap list (approx 90) compiled by James Brazier (WFA) entitled, 'Rolls of Honour: Books containing details of the names recorded on local war memorials.'

Happy to share, but how?

I privately published ' The Currie War Memorial ' in 2000 and it is available via Edinburgh main library. I can provide a complete listing though.

Aye

Malcolm

Bob

Got an Idea - e-mail on its way.

Malcolm - is yours available for purchase or only in a library ?

John / Andy The books you mention - are they available anywhere ?

Regards

Glyn

Glyn

The two Stockport books are available from the usual suspects:-

I think Tom Morgan has a Marple one. Naval & Military is your best bet for the other (unless Tom does that as well).

There's also a very extensive Southport one around (but I've not seen it).

In terms of websites, you'll pick up several if you just follow links.

John

Glyn,

With only 100 privately published there are not that many around, obviously. The last Fair I went to though Howard Williamson did have one copy on his stand.

Andy

There are two general (mainstream book trade) ones you should note:

'Memorials of the Great War' isbn 1859739830 (Berg)

English Heritage have quite recent book entitled 'Lest We Forget' 1850749116 on war memorials.

Cheers

Ryan

I've done 2 in recent years:

"The Men Who Marched Away - Liddesdale & The Great War"

and

"All These Fine Fellows - Hawick & District & The Great War"

Thanks All

Keep them coming - More interesting with every post.

Thanks again

Glyn

Glyn,

Another one that comes to mind from Essex again is "Not Just A Name" Mersea Islands Fallen of the First World War by Roger Bullen. Seem to remember it is well researched with service histories, photographs, letters etc.

Andy

"Our Boys" Ware Men in the First World War Derek Armes 1998 published by Rockingham Press and ware Museum.

Kineton in The Great War Gillian Ashley-Smith 1998 published by Brewin Press

What Happened to Joe? Immingham's War Dead Remembered Mary Leitch 1995 published by Immingham Branch of The Worlkers Educational Association ISBN 0 8524259 1 2

Fallen Fighters Brief Biographies of the Great bentley Men who died in action in the 1914 - 1918 War by Heather Taylor 1996, private publication

Glyn

Others to add to your list -

"34 Men" by Geoff Crompton dedicated to the memory of the men of Moulton Village.

"Southport's Splendid Hearts" by Victoria Bannister, covering the the war memorials of Southport and Ainsdale.

"Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War" by David L. Adams covering the Somerset market town.

"Moreton & Districts Patriots 1914-1919" by Stephen McGreal.

Also can I point you in the direction of my website which covers the war Memorials of Wolverhampton & Bilston.

Regards Doug.

Glyn,

Did you want to keep this list as UK only - because I have a small list of some for Victoria in Australia? Perhaps I could start a separate list!

Frev.

Frev

Happy to include the Australian Mems.

Doug, Kevin, Andy

Many Thanks

Australia:

Victorian Memorials, Suburbs, Towns, Districts etc (that I know of) that have been researched & books published:

"Lest we Forget: Biographical summaries of the men who are listed on the Croydon War Memorial" - by B. Nitschke 1992

"Commemorating the Fallen - Yarra Junction Cenotaph - The Great War 1914-1919" - by B. Sutherland 2000

"Mystic Soldiers of Empire. The Military Service of Mystic Park Residents in the Boer War, and First and Second World Wars" - by C. Heggen 2001

"Fallen Heroes: Warracknabeal War Memorial" - by G. Massey 2003

"The Coleraine Cenotaph: a brief biographical record of the 103 First and Second World War service personnel commemorated." - by K. Fitzgerald 2002

"Our Gallant Heroes - Marong Honour Roll 1914-1919 War" - by A. O'Donohue 1997

"Eaglehawk's Bravest 1914-1918: for King and country" - by E. Harrington & B. Hanson.

"Let those who come after: the world war one veterans of Dartmoor and District" - by M. Greenham 1995

"Lest we forget: Swanpool & districts call to arms and those who answered 1914-1973" - by G.E. Kirk 2001

"Heroes of the Winchelsea district: in remembrance of those who served" - by N. Mawson, C. Alsop & R. Mawson 2001

"Gallipoli Heroes - A tribute to the men from Western Victoria who gave their lives for their country" - by G. Massey 2004

And I'm researching the Inglewood, Bridgewater, Newbridge & Wedderburn Memorials as well as the East Loddon Shire Honour Board (759 soldiers in all) - with the hope of one day publishing - either books or website.

I think this list is a brilliant idea - and I know there are a lot of other Aussies out there who are researching, or have published. It would be great to know which areas have or are being covered.

Cheers, Frev

Even more interesting would be a list of the short run privately-published books documenting Grandad's letters from the Front etc. These are especially valuable where no official unit history exists.

I also think this would be of enormous assistance. There are many units for which no diaries of official hsitories are available. I for one would be over the moon if I was to find letters from men in my grandfather's battery.

Robbie