Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing correct relative

Linda H

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

He could go anywhere. And before conscription, the same. In the very early days when men were rushing to the colours, men chose regiments because,  for example, they could wear the kilt, or look after horses. 

Michelle 

Just to make things more difficult!

If he was a soldier at time of death then this might help [no promises! - and they are often very simple and lacking in much detail] = Searching the Probate Service for Soldier's Wills:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?surname=thompson&yearOfDeath=1917&firstName=frederick&advancedSearch=True&IsGrantSearch=False#soldiers

1917 = 12 - seems unlikely - so follow the "Next Year" arrow, again and again

1918 = 11

1919 = 2

1920 - 1939 = 0

But ... if you want to try to look at them ... they cost £1.50 each.  :-/

:-) M

Edit: CWGC commemorations are if in service up to 31 August 1921 or if discharged a death with cause related to the war, again up to 31 August 1921.

Edited by Matlock1418
addition

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

If he was a soldier at time of death then this might help [no promises! - and they are often very simple and lacking in much detail] = Searching the Probate Service for Soldier's Wills:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?surname=thompson&yearOfDeath=1917&firstName=frederick&advancedSearch=True&IsGrantSearch=False#soldiers

1917 = 12 - seems unlikely - so follow the "Next Year" arrow, again and again

1918 = 11

1919 = 2

1920 - 1939 = 0

But ... if you want to try to look at them ... they cost £1.50 each.  :-/

Thank you. Another thing for my helper to plough through!  I get the impression they were poor, but maybe a soldier had to have a will, worth a try. 

1 hour ago, Linda H said:

I get the impression they were poor, but maybe a soldier had to have a will, worth a try. 

Most soldiers had a Will - often only in a Pay Book and may have been lost with their body but sometimes recorded by the Army if they were recovered for burial.

Don't expect too much though - often as simple as along the lines of "I give everything to my mother/wife" and the like - usually named but they can sometimes also give their beneficiary's address

Edit:  Again not a certainty - but just so you / your helper know about it there is a Will / Probate option too at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=thompson&yearOfDeath=1917&page=1#calendar - I've given you Thompson in 1917 but you can use the "Next year" option here too - the site is not that easy to use - you usually have to scroll through pages to find the relevant forename - in alphabetical order Frederick(s) normally seem about page 4 or 5 - a very quick look did not reveal anything obvious to me but you / your helper may have more time. 

[Probate can be granted later in the year, next year or even some more time after a death - Don't think this is just for posh people and just officers and the like - a Pte Frederick Stanley Thompson (1918, died 1917) and a Driver Frederick James Thompson (1919 died 1918) were noted in my brief glances - not that either looked like your man as both had a bit of money, especially the latter who at £2559 3s had quite a lot by the standards of the day!]

Edited by Matlock1418
Addition

31 minutes ago, Linda H said:

We suspect Frederick was born Frederick Thompson Morpeth 1895 J/F/M quarter.  I have been waiting for quite some time for his birth certificate to confirm the mother, but due to Covid things are taking a long time.  We have built quite a tree, supposing this is the correct Frederick, and we are almost certain it is.  If it is the correct Frederick, we know his father is Thomas, who according to the marriage certificate was deceased in 1917. 

58 minutes ago, PRC said:

There is a baptism record at Bothal, Northumberland for a Frederick Thompson born 2nd January 1895, parents David & Anne. Bothal was also in the Morpeth Civil Registration District so likely that one can be ruled out. I was checking to see if the birth was registered with any middle names. I was also looking for mothers’ maiden name in case he served under that.

Baptism record transcription here (free source) https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818c66de93790ec8b249940/frederick-thompson-baptism-northumberland-bothal-1895-02-17?locale=en

You have 42 days after the event to register the birth, and there is only one Frederick Thompson registered in the Morpeth District in Q1 1895, so I'm 99% certain that when you get the birth certificate back he will turn out to be the son of David & Anne, not the son of Thomas and Mary Jane that you are looking for.

As your "Frederick" was recorded as 7 in 1901 & 17 in 1911 you are looking at an late spring1893/early spring 1894 birth unless his age was deliverately mis-stated or miscalulated on both occasion.

Took a look at Frederick's whose birth was registered in the Morpeth District in the period Q1 1892 - Q4 1894 and the only things that leapt out at me was that there were two Frederick Browns registered in the April to June quarter of 1894 - volume 10b lines 375 & 382. As Thomas & Mary Jane are believed to have been married at that stage that raises the possibility of adoption. Prior to 1927 practically all adoptions were informal and undocumented.

Equally likely is that despite the census birth information, Frederick Thompson was actually born elsewhere and his registration with the Civil Authorities reflects that. Similarly mistakes happens in the process of transcribing the local register, sending a return to the General Registrars Office, compiling a quarterly index, assembling and setting the print at the printers and proof reading the finished copy - not just transcriptions but names missed. You could be very unfortunate and he was one of those. Finally his parents may have been one of a very small minority who didn't register the birth - unlikely but can't entirely be discounted.

As has already been suggested you need to tie down the genealogy first.

Cheers,

Peter

P.S. one other route of enquiry is to check out the Army Register of Soldiers Effects (Ancestry only), for each of your potential Frederick Thompsons who died. These were financial ledgers and show first name and family relationship of the person(s) who received the deceased soldiers balance of pay and any war gratuity. They can sometimes also provide a bit more information about where and how the soldier died, and whether a pension was awarded to anyone. May be a way to eliminate some of the Frederick Thompsons where none of the sources have any of that information.

24 minutes ago, PRC said:

Baptism record transcription here (free source) https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818c66de93790ec8b249940/frederick-thompson-baptism-northumberland-bothal-1895-02-17?locale=en

Oh heck!  We know from the marriage certificate his age and father's name, which is most definitely Thomas.  So hopefully we have the correct Frederick Thompson.  We also know the names of the witnesses, both Thompsons, living at the same address Frederick and Gertrude gave on their wedding certificate.  These are the uncle and cousin (if I recall correctly), of the Frederick Thompson we have, with the father as Thomas Thompson.  I will cut and paste what you have written, as my helper knows this inside out by now, poor guy.  As I say, so many Thompsons marrying Thompsons, has given him a headache  ;(   The Frederick Thompson's birth certificate we have sent for, was registered J/F/M 1985, so he could have been born late 1984, and this fits with the two census dates.

12 minutes ago, Linda H said:

I will cut and paste what you have written, as my helper knows this inside out by now, poor guy.

May be simpler to ask him to join the forum :)

12 minutes ago, Linda H said:

The Frederick Thompson's birth certificate we have sent for, was registered J/F/M 1985, so he could have been born late 1984, and this fits with the two census dates.

I'm afraid it doesn't. The 1911 census was taken on the 2nd April 1911, the 1901 census on the 31st March 1901. A birth registered on the first possible day the Registrars Office was open in 1895 would have legally been born no earlier than the middle of November 1894, otherwise the criminal justice system and fines kicks in. A child born even as early as that would be no more than 6 in 1901 and 16 in 1911 - unless as I said earlier the age was either deliberately mis-stated or mis-calculated.

It also means that the Frederick Thompson born Bothal in Q1 1895 does not have a civil birth registration. Civil Parishes covered by the Morpeth Civil Registration District can be seen here:-

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/morpeth.html

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

1 hour ago, PRC said:

It also means that the Frederick Thompson born Bothal in Q1 1895 does not have a civil birth registration. Civil Parishes covered by the Morpeth Civil Registration District can be seen here:-

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/morpeth.html

OOh heck this is too complicated for my little brain.  I will pass all this on to Andrew, he is a very experienced researcher so it will make more sense to him.  What we know for certain, going by Frederick Thompson's and Gertrude Harbottle's wedding certificate is that Frederick was 23 at the time of the wedding on 11 October 1917.  Gertrude was 26.  Frederick's father is listed as Thomas Thompson, deceased, a rolleyman.  They gave their address as Bog Hall, Stannington, Northumberland, and the two witnesses were William Thomas Thompson and his daughter Alice Jane Thompson, who farmed at Bog Hall, and William and Alice Jane were at that address on the 1911 census, along with William's wife.  They were married by licence, and I can only assume a rushed job as Frederick was going to war.  I will attach a photo of the certificate if that is allowed.  Gertrude lists her father as deceased, but we know for certain he was alive.  We also know that Frederick is listed on Gertrude's death certificate as Frederick (soldier) deceased.

The best lead so far is the one showing Gertrude Thompson, a widow in Sunderland, receiving a pension, as Gertrude was born in Sunderland and it would be very likely she would return there initially.  

Many of my family from way back were illiterate, so mistakes with years would be highly likely.

Gertrude and Fred wedding cert.jpg

Edited by Linda H

Whilst not bringing much / anything new to the table now - 

8 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

What is most useful is that this ex-soldier gave an address of Trout/Trait St., Dipton, Co. Durham [Street name?]

1118 / 514527 - Don't think we have yet found a name for a possible wife [if he was married], but ...

56 minutes ago, Linda H said:

The best lead so far is the one showing Gertrude Thompson, a widow in Sunderland, receiving a pension, as Gertrude was born in Sunderland and it would be very likely she would return there initially.

57 minutes ago, Linda H said:

What we know for certain, going by Frederick Thompson's and Gertrude Harbottle's wedding certificate is that Frederick was 23 at the time of the wedding on 11 October 1917.  Gertrude was 26.  Frederick's father is listed as Thomas Thompson, deceased, a rolleyman.  They gave their address as Bog Hall, Stannington, Northumberland,

It seems common practice that a woman got married near to her parents, rather than near to his.

But ... I wouldn't completely write off this chap 1118 / 514527 just yet as Dipton is only less than 2 miles from Annfield Plain, Co Durham where he was living with his parents in 1911 and he might have returned to his roots after marriage and/or after discharge.

Just a thought ...

13 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Whilst not bringing much / anything new to the table now - 

1118 / 514527 - Don't think we have yet found a name for a possible wife [if he was married], but ...

It seems common practice that a woman got married near to her parents, rather than near to his.

I agree, but not sure in this case.  Gertrude put her father down on the wedding certificate as deceased (he wasn't).  

On the 1911 census Gertrude was living with her elder sister and younger siblings in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Her parents were working as some type of servants in a house away from there on that census.  Gertrude was born in Sunderland.  Hopefully Andrew can get his head around this.  I have sent him a link in the hope he will join and make sense of this, as my poor head is frazzled.  So the suggestion above about a Gertrude Thompson with an address in Sunderland (lodging there by the look of it), seems a strong tip right now.  I hope Andrew, or somebody, knows how to find out about the Gertrude in Sunderland's pension, if it gives details as to who the soldier was etc.

13 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Here you are Linda

From Ancestry hosted Fold3, a portion of the card

image.png.0428a21194f28203fa8a3d101dd98800.png

George

11 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Here you are Linda

George

Thank you.  I feel certain this is the correct Frederick and Gertrude Thompson!  What does the writing bottom left mean?  the date etc?  Would any of this indicate when and where Frederick died?  My helper is working through things to check we have the correct Frederick on the tree, I just wish the birth certificate would hurry up, but there are huge delays right now due to Covid.  Thank you so much.

5 hours ago, Linda H said:

I hope Andrew, or somebody, knows how to find out about the Gertrude in Sunderland's pension, if it gives details as to who the soldier was etc.

George R beat me to it - it is a Widow's Pension Card [from a batch printed 1/1932]

However there is a slight problem with only posting extracts - you don't see all

In the Awards references there are two ref. nos.  2/MT/2711 dated 25/1/33 [which matches with a Pension Ledger - see below] and also 11.W.59227 dated 27/1/33 [this is a Widow's pension reference in region 11 (interestingly for London and the South East) - sadly more details now lost]

1412884268_THOMPSONFrederick76662.png.db66ce8041c96152050a21436729e8f3.png

Image thanks to the Western Front Association & Fold3

This is the corresponding Pension Ledger for Thompson 76662 [front] - It appears to be for a Disability [Chronic Bronchitis and spinal curvature - aggravated by service - 40-50%] to 1930 [or 1933 which would match the PC extract] then changes to a Widow's which would match the above and a note initialled PC 

[there are some pension notes 1921-1922 on the rear which you may perhaps wish to access in the future for payments if we have found 'your' man - don't think they do much at the present]

Perhaps of most interest = Don't know if the other two addresses details on this Disability / Pension Ledger help at all = 33 Bell Street, Newcastle on Tyne [@ 24.7.1919] and 1 Percy Street, Bellingham, Northumberland [Later]

Edited by Matlock1418
addition and clarification

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

Here you are Linda

George

FindMyPast has a few surviving pages for that man, who they have indexed as born 1893.

At his discharge on the 26th June 1919 his permanent address is given as 33 Bell Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - there is a character reference request received from the same address in 1920. It came from the Civil service - remember the original Civil Service proof of birth I uncovered for a man born Morpeth 1893 aka Brown. From the 5th July 1921 he moved to 8, Blandford Street, Newcastle upon Tyne.

He originally attested at Aldershot on the 1st November 1915 and he was discharged on demobilisation. He gave his age as 21 years and 308 days and his occupation as a Cartman. His next of kin when he enlisted was his mother, Mary Jane Thompson, of Rectory Road, Bensham, Gateshead - this was the address he gave when enlisting. Due to fire damage it's difficult to make out if there are any details added re wife. Section for children appears to be blank. He was being treated in 1917 for problems relating to spinal curvature. There is an additional condition on his discharge record of Bronchial Asthma. He was initially assessed as 30% disabled. By then he was married with no children.

I can't see an obvious match for Frederick or Mary Jane Thompson living at Rectory Road, Bensham on the 1911 Census of England & Wales. I see from the 1917 marriage certificate that Frederick's father \ Mary Janes husband was deceased so may be worthwhile trying to track down a death certificate \ will for him to see where the family was living at that point.

I also don't have enough fingers but I think that would have made Frederick born the very end of December 1893.

Given his disabilities it's difficult to see him being allowed to enlist again, so can't see how his occupation would be regarded as soldier.

It looks like the Monkwearmouth address on the Pension card from Fold 3 is in the same handwriting as the note - "Corres to awards JS 25/1/33" (Correspondence to awards, someones initial, 25th January 1933, is my best guess - possibly might relate to a claim for a widows pension at that point.)

Cheers,

Peter

Update 1. - going back to the 1911 Census, the two youngest living children of Thomas and Mary Jane - Ruby May (5) and Elizabeth Alice, (4) are both shown as born Gateshead. And while the Census enumerator has shown the family living at Annfield Plain, Thomas Thompson has signed the declaration with an address that appears to start "N.E.R yd" (North Eastern Railways Yard perhaps?).

Update 2. Father Thomas is shown as aged 41 on the 1911 census and the address is recorded by the enumerator as falling within the Lanchester Civil Registration District, County Durham. May be a coincidence but the death of a 43 year old Thomas Thompson was registered in the Lanchester District in the October to December quarter, (Q4), of 1913. There is no obvious civil probate record.

Edited by PRC
Update 1 and then Update 2

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

George R beat me to it - it is a Widow's Pension Card [from a batch printed 1/1932]

Darn I typed a response and lost it, I really am not good with this.  

I don't understand all the dates and names.  Would this indicate the year Frederick died, or perhaps the last record of him being alive.  Where he was on the last record?  You mention London and the south east and that fits perfectly, as we know Gertrude was in Essex on the 1939 register, lodging with a family, and listed as a widow.

This is without doubt the correct Frederick and Gertrude.  I will attach Gertrude's death certificate which shows Fred as a soldier.  Judging by his health, he probably never worked again, and Gertrude's niece who notified Gertrude's death, probably put soldier as that is the only thing she knew of him.  Andrew thanks you all for your tips and suggestions, and he agrees, this is definitely the correct couple.  He is now working hard to make sure we have the right Frederick on our tree, and if not, it must be the other Frederick.  But we know for certain that Frederick's father is Thomas, and Frederick had no middle name.  We know for certain they had no children.  

Thank you all for your invaluable help

Gertrude death cert.jpg

1 hour ago, PRC said:

FindMyPast has a few surviving pages for that man, who they have indexed as born 1893.

Thank you again for extremely helpful information.  I have just replied to a post with various bits and this card is most definitely our Frederick and Gertrude, Andrew is now working on checking the Frederick on my tree is the correct Frederick.  

I did ask the question on another post, but does this indicate when the last record of Frederick being alive is, and where?  We had searched records in the north east, but it looks from this as though he moved south.  We know for sure Gertrude was in Essex as a widow in 1939, so it all fits together.  

Very interesting that he survived the war, and for a while received a pension.  It seems much like today, pensions stop if you can crawl into the office for the medical.  I will ask Andrew to look into the civil service thing too.  Now we know we have the correct Frederick, I am more than happy to pay for any records.  Until we have a definite birth certificate with a definite date of birth and mother, tracing the death of a Frederick Thompson is pretty much impossible. 

You are all amazing  :)

18 minutes ago, Linda H said:

I don't understand all the dates and names.  Would this indicate the year Frederick died, or perhaps the last record of him being alive.  Where he was on the last record?  You mention London and the south east and that fits perfectly, as we know Gertrude was in Essex on the 1939 register, lodging with a family, and listed as a widow.

10 minutes ago, Linda H said:

I did ask the question on another post, but does this indicate when the last record of Frederick being alive is, and where?  We had searched records in the north east, but it looks from this as though he moved south.  We know for sure Gertrude was in Essex as a widow in 1939, so it all fits together.  

Was typing as your posts came in - and then lost it when I looked away from my composition - so you are not alone!

My reading is that the pension changed from Disability to Widow's in Jan 1933 so his death was before/thereabouts.

Regional offices were used to administer pensions - Region 11 was London and SE so could tie in with a move south by his widow, perhaps earlier by him too [but note no such address on his PL].

Sadly such Region 11 material is now/currently lost [ever in hope it might turn up some day ;-) ]

Good luck - if you turn up anything interesting then I reckon GWF contributors would be delighted to hear of it.

Edited by Matlock1418

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

My reading is that the pension changed from Disability to Widow's in Jan 1933 so his death was before/thereabouts.

Regional offices were used to administer pensions - Region 11 was London and SE so could tie in with a move south by his widow, perhaps earlier by him too [but note no such address on his PL].

Sadly such Region 11 material is now/currently lost [ever in hope it might turn up some day ;-) ]

Good luck - if you turn up anything interesting then I reckon GWF contributors would be delighted to hear of it.

Thank you.  Once we have a definite birth date and birth certificate, we can hopefully track down his death certificate.  It may well be Gertrude moved south after his death, to be near her sister, but that will need to wait until we have the correct Fred on my tree.  and only just over a year and a half to the 1921 census, which may reveal more.

A million thank yous to you all :)

Tentatively I would say you were looking at a death between 1930 and 1933 somewhere in England.

There is a 39 year old Frederick Thompson whose death is recorded in the Easington District of Durham in Q3 1931 but there is a likely probate award to a Martha Thompson, widow, (note this just means she was a widow, not necessarily his widow).

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Thompson&yearOfDeath=1932&page=6#calendar

Otherwise the only other likely matches all have middle initials.

Others possibly worth considering - all no middle initials.

Q2 1928 aged 34, Bellingham District of Northumberland - no obvious entry in the probate calendar

Q1 1928 aged 33, Tyneside District of Northumberland - no obvious entry in the probate calendar

With the Civil Service side of things that could just have been the Post Office. Before the war they were big employers or ex-serviceman and after it tried to employ the more able of the disabled. If his name wasn't so common you might have been able to track his career via the London Gazette !

Good luck with your search,

Peter

3 minutes ago, PRC said:

thers possibly worth considering - all no middle initials.

Q2 1928 aged 34, Bellingham District of Northumberland - no obvious entry in the probate calendar

This is the person Andrew believes is our Fred.  Without the help of you lot, we would have been stumped, you have all been so unbelievably helpful.  Andrew will be doing lots of double and cross checking, but we know for certain the military records are correct, we just need to double check the birth record.

Again, thank you all so much for your very kind help :)

11 minutes ago, PRC said:

Tentatively I would say you were looking at a death between 1930 and 1933 somewhere in England.

There is a 39 year old Frederick Thompson whose death is recorded in the Easington District of Durham in Q3 1931 but there is a likely probate award to a Martha Thompson, widow, (note this just means she was a widow, not necessarily his widow).

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Thompson&yearOfDeath=1932&page=6#calendar

Otherwise the only other likely matches all have middle initials.

Others possibly worth considering - all no middle initials.

Q1 1928 aged 33, Tyneside District of Northumberland - no obvious entry in the probate calendar

There are a couple of Bellingham deaths of a 34 yr old Frederick Thompson in 1928,  - June qtr, and September qtr.

Deaths Jun 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Sep 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Mar 1930   (>99%)

Frederick

Tynemouth

10b

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There are a couple of Bellingham deaths of a 34 yr old Frederick Thompson in 1928,  - June qtr, and September qtr.

Deaths Jun 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Sep 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Mar 1930   (>99%)

Frederick

Tynemouth

10b

Thank you so much.  I have let Andrew know there are two within weeks of each other.  I imagine he will ask me to get both certificates, which of course, is going to take several months at the moment.  

Once again, thank you so much.  You are the A team  :)

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Deaths Jun 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Sep 1928   (>99%)

Frederick

Bellingham

10b

Deaths Mar 1930   (>99%)

Frederick

Tynemouth

10b

Quite right sir - I cannot wait for the opticians to re-open :)

Linda - one last thought for now. Father Thomas as a (male) householder would have been entitled to a parliamentary vote, (if he registered). If you can track him down on the electoral registers for the years either side of the time Frederick was likely to have been born then may give a better idea of where the birth may have been registered.

Enititlement to the parliamentary vote had both an age and a residency commitment. The residency side could be waived on a change of address if the voter could show entitlement to vote was continuous. In some areas like my own, each years electoral register will have some entries marked as "successive" and show all the addresses lived at since the previous years edition.

Going back to the counting side, his attestation form said he was

2 hours ago, PRC said:

21 years and 308 days

when he enlisted on the 1st November 1915. My rudimentary maths says 1st November should be the 305th day of the year (edit - in a non-leap year!), which leaves a balance of 3 days which working back should be the 29th December 1893.

Now going away to lay down in a darkened room :)

Peter

Edited by PRC

2 hours ago, PRC said:

I looked for the death certificates, and there were two with the same name in Bellingham. Do you have any idea what "Occasional Copy A) means next to the first one?  I plan to order both, but confused about the Occasional Copy A

Name: Age at Death (in years):  
THOMPSON, FREDERICK     34  
GRO Reference: 1928  J Quarter in BELLINGHAM  Volume 10B  Page 440  Occasional Copy: A
THOMPSON, FREDERICK     34  
GRO Reference: 1928  S Quarter in BELLINGHAM  Volume 10B  Page 385

Thank you again

Linda

Just been out out for a socially-distanced walk and had a thought - so looked when I came back = PIN 26 files at the Ministry of Pensions [A sample selection of complete pension files at the National Archives]

5 x Frederick Thompson = but don't think I saw one related to the above service numbers/units - probably would have been a miracle if had turned up given PIN 26 are such a select few files.  [But they are non-digitised files so anyway would require somebody to visit Kew to view in detail, if appropriate]

Hey ho - on you go!

:-) M

Edit: As for Occasional Copy A - I think it might be relevant when an entry had been changed at some time - perhaps that is why there are two 1928 death entries for Frederick Thompson (34) of Bellingham..  If you go ahead and get both you might see a change/difference between them even if for the same man.  Just a thought.

Edited by Matlock1418
Addition