Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm going to the IWM

andigger

What was said, what was stopped at, looked at and remarked upon. Which books were purchased?

Well, Andy cleared the shelves in the bookshop, so when he returns, he'd better fill you in on the books.

We tried to cover the whole museum. The artifacts were fascinating - and the sheer amount of Great War artifacts is impressive.

Trench weapons created a few comments. In spite of being aware of the sheer face to face brutality of war, the effort and imagination that went into the design of these weapons really brought that home to me. The strains of "Long way to Tipperray" disappeared into sentimentality at this point, just grim head to head killing was conjoured up for me.

As for the rest of it - the Main Hall is packed with boats and tanks and planes - great stuff from right across the twentieth century. Some were even American :o:P - a fantastic Mustang with checkerboard front end hanging from the ceiling - it looks as if its about to take a fatal hit from the Sopwith Camel directly opposite.

I think the medal section generated some real interest, and the newer Holocaust Exhibition, whilst sobering for all, and very effective in many ways, I think did not quite get top marks.

Its a big place, and I could probably return two or three times without feeling that I had run out of things to look at.

I'm sure the others will add to this, so, Arm, this is Haig signing off from the back row.

regards

doogal

And when asked there names Trenchie, Arm and Andigger were all taken away forthwith, yet the last one gave his "Doogal sir", was emmidiately dismissed as a nutter from of the streets and let go.

Brilliant Trenchie

Arm.

What! Arm in a pub! I don't believe it.

I can categorically state that he only drank tea all day at the museum - with gallons of milk kindly supplied by the IWM Catering Corps. Such a delicate gent would not be seen in a pub, surely!

L-R back Trenchwalker, Doogal, Stiletto 33853,

L-R front Jon Signals Saunders, Andigger,Tybers,Armourersergeant,Terry Denham.

regards

Arm.

post-12-1108994926.jpg

I have just realsied that we look like the Pals 1st fifteen, front eight. I have gone from Fly half at 18 yoa to prop at 38 yoa :(

regards

Arm.

Ah! What can I say other than I had a great time. Far better time than if I had roamed the exhibits solo. Thanks to all who came out. Not only was it great to see the IWM, but to do it with such a collective source of knowledge was incredible.

And of course, yes there were episodes with left bags, but I was only testing security. I did notice Arm. was the only one who got overly concerned, which begs the question does he do more than sell furniture?

BTW Robbie good call on the coat. Actually it neither demonstrates forethought (checking weather channel) nor good planning. It is a prime example of American ingenuity... ie getting to a location, realizing you packed the wrong clothes, and adjusting by going to the closest store with a winter clothes sale!

Andy

Anyd,

Are you back home already? That was a quick trip. Sorry I missed you but had a bit of work to get done. Am going next Sunday though. You want to revisit?

Robbie :D

Good one Andy. My they do have big heads, don't they? :lol:

Robbie

My they do have big heads, don't they?

Haven't they always?

Paul.. no chitlins, ocra, or p-can pie. So I ate as best I could.

:lol:

With the exception of Jon I haven't met them yet so I don't have a standard on which to base my judgements.

But that will change soon, won't it guys?

Robbie :lol:

BTW: anyone fancy another trip to the IWM next Sunday? we will be there around 11am i guess. Just keep your ears open for the very annoying Aussie accents.

Robbie <_<

Hey who made me Haig :(

I am not ready to except all the blame

Arm.

Just keep your ears open for the very annoying Aussie accents.

Robbie

What other kinds are there, Robbie? :D

I`m sure yours is delightful, though! :rolleyes: Phil B

I am not sure it is doogal who looks very Haig like.........

I am sure in the real photograph Plumer was wide right (our left as we look at the photo) ... I'm not happy about this :angry:

I am sure in the real photograph Plumer was wide right (our left as we look at the photo) ... I'm not happy about this :angry:

Jon.

What have you got to worry about :(

regards

Arm Haig

Jon.

What have you got to worry about :(

regards

Arm Haig

Obviously not as much as you Dougie.