Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm going to the IWM

andigger

Calling all Pals in or near London on 20 Feb.

Several months ago I found a great deal for a weekend in London and now the date is closing in to jump the pond. Definitely one of the things I want to do is visit the Imperial War Museum, and I think it would be great if we could get a group of Pals together for the afternoon.

Depending on the response I'll redistribute details (time, meeting points, etc) but I am generally thinking meeting at the museum about noon and going from there.

I hope a number of you can come out, it would be great to finally meet!

Andy

Andy

If you do get to the IWM, try and get up into the reading room which is in the cupola. The building was originally an asylum and there are some very quanit Victorian, "God is Love" type inscriptions written on the inside. You'll need an appointment to get there so make some queries in advance. I was there many years ago and it was very serene indeed sitting there with the sun streaming through the windows.

Paul

I'm very jealous! A trip through the basement with "guys who know stuff" would be incredible ... can you hook a webcam to your lap top?

Don't foget the Army Museum (its on the other side of the city) it's worth the effort.

Be sure to go upstairs to the superb art gallery! Sure! And Andythegood! :o is correct, National Army Museum in Chelsea is quite good. The walk between to two takes some time but through central London, Parliament, Westminster Abbey etc. Great way the spend time.

Andy and Paul you will be with us in spirit!

Thought I'd bring this thread back up to see if any other pals might have the chance to join the group. Based on the PMs I've gotten we should have a nice little crowd. I'm excited!! Andy

Jon (et al)...

I am thinking we meet at the museum cafe at 11.30 for those who want to do lunch, and also to allow others time to show up. Another option may be to met at Perdoni's diner nearby, if the cafe is not that great, or the selection is limited. Then we head towards the exhibits at 12.30. I imagine occupying the time until the museum closes at 6PM will not be hard, so I thought we could go for a group dinner afterwards.

I am open to where we can eat, as I have heard there are not many selections around the museum its self.

This schedule isn't set in stone, so other options and suggestions are welcome.

Andy

Thought I'd bring this back up to see if now that we are a little closer to the date some others might be able to join us.

Andy

Andy,

I am doing all i can to get this day off so i can attend. At the moment it is 50/50. Will let you know nearer the time.

regards

Arm.

I think I should be able to get along for this one, living only 50 mins or so away.

Look forward to seeing some folks - and always a pleasure to visit the IWM.

Regards Ian

OK Pals... we are a week out, and I am leaving for London on Wed. so I thought I'd put out one more call to see if anyone else can join us.

Also I wanted to let those who can come know that I am planning on arriving at the museum cafe at 11.30 for lunch. That should give people time to arrive, and hopefully we can hit the exhibits shortly after 12 noon. I will have a small sign that says Baker's Pals to mark our spot, but will also try and pick a conspicuous spot in the cafe. I also picked out my red and green shirt which is hopefully unique enough to make it easy to spot me.

Feel free to email me or post a thread if there are any other questions.

Andy

I will be there too. By hook or by crook!

Who else?

Arm.

All being well I should be there also but unfortunately I will not be able to stay around for a meal in the evening due to family commitments.

Andy

Dear Pals

Firstly have a great day! Secondly, could someone nip into the bookshop to see if they have 'The Western Front' series on DVD?

Kind regards,

Simmo.

Good to see all of the guys at the IWM. Remarkably, we all managed to find each other in the vast expanses of the IWM cafe and then had a good toddle around.

I visited the Orpen exhibition before we met and can thoroughly recommend it. Its a pity the IWM have to charge £5 to visit it but it is worth the money.

Ian,

Great to see you and all the others, thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Andy

Did anyone take a group photo? I've been giving Andy sartorial advice, believe it or not, so I want to get a glimpse of my one and only client.