Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm going to the IWM

andigger

Yes - a group photo was taken and I am sure Sigs will post it as soon as he has finished retouching his highlights.

A good day and enjoyable meeting the faces behind the names.

It seems that the Baker Pals' homing instincts are getting better as nobody got lost - even on the way to the cash till to pay for coffee!

Thanks to Andy (the US one) for suggesting the meet.

Yes - a group photo was taken and I am sure Sigs will post it as soon as he has finished retouching his highlights.

A good day and enjoyable meeting the faces behind the names.

It seems that the Baker Pals' homing instincts are getting better as nobody got lost - even on the way to the cash till to pay for coffee!

Thanks to Andy (the US one) for suggesting the meet.

Terry,

I have sent you the photo as I always have trouble getting pics onto the Forum. Can you do the sizing etc ...

I am sorry all your (very poor) attempts of humour appeared to be at my expense today - battle lines have been drawn for Ypres! A word of caution ... dont trust that Armourer bloke as he was obviously trying to keep a foot in both camps.

Very pleased to see and meet all other Pals.

Jon

Remarkably, we all managed to find each other in the vast expanses of the IWM cafe and then had a good toddle around.

Actually Trenchie looked at our table and then turned around and walked away ... until he was called back with the words "Trenchie". So full marks to our young PAL for trying to maintain the Southern PALS tradition of being in the same place at the same time without actually meeting up - sorry it was thwarted.

Dear Pals

Firstly have a great day! Secondly, could someone nip into the bookshop to see if they have 'The Western Front' series on DVD?

Kind regards,

Simmo.

I didnt see it in their shop but have you tired the IWM on-line shop?

WHy was that? Did he not like the look of all of you? :lol:

Or was he just shy? :P

Trenchie??

Robbie

Brilliant thanks Terry.

But who is who?

I can pick out Arm and Jon and you, but the rest?

Robbie

OK, chaps. Time to identify yourselves.

I recognise the bearded Terry D on the right and Martin, I think, is top left.

I'm struggling to recognise Arm - even though we are together on a photo somewhere , though we have never met (compliments of the forgery skills of Kate or Martin Wills)

John

Well, process of elimination..1 must be Andigger and 1 Tybers..which is which Terry?

R

I'm guessing that the guy in the middle front next to Andy (ARM) is Andy Digger. I chose him because the other guy has heavier shoes on and a thicker coat and, hence, appears to be more prepared for the British climate.

Robbie B)

Facing you I am outside-right .

Or is that outside left!

No! Facing I am wide (outside) right. If I was kicking with you (ie kicking in the same direction as the screen - I would be left-half). I know what I mean.

Or is that outside left!

No! Facing I am wide (outside) right. If I was kicking with you (ie kicking in the same direction as the screen - I would be left-half). I know what I mean.

Jon......Clear as mud & I know which one was you :lol: ...........Do you do the half time tactic talks for the Gills

Or is that outside left!

Jon

I have it sussed (??)

You are not on the photo - as you you are the photographer.

Also, by a process of logical deduction, the guy at the front in the sensible long coat has clearly prepared for his visit (by checking the weather forecast) and must be Andy. Only avid watchers of the Weather Channel are so prepared - must be American.

Robbie

That's what he's saying.

So, all we need now is confirmation that the guy in the long coat is Andigger.

But who's taking the piccie (wasnt there mention that Michael would be there)?

John

It may be nobody taking the pic..Jon looks a little worried so maybe he'd set it on delay and raced to his position.

Robbie

On reflection i can not help thinking that the photo carries an image of the one of all the Generals in (november?) 1918 on the steps of a chateau, the name of which escapes me! See what i mean guys.

Doogal is looking very Haig like in the back centre!

regards

Arm.

Doogal, Trenchie, Andy and his friend dragged me screaming and kicking to a 'pub'.

Hi

I thought it was kicking and screaming out of the pub :lol:

(the pub was the Royal Festival Hall no less. I think this was a very civilised choice of location.)

Had a very enjoyable day - and good to put faces to names.

regards

doogal

Aww .... c'mon guys ... after reading all these notes, I'm still lost as to who is who in the picture. After all this time to put a face with an avatar must be very interesting to say the least.

What was said, what was stopped at, looked at and remarked upon. Which books were purchased?