Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

Hi FionaBam,

Please don't beat yourself up. I may well be wrong (waiting for incoming to the contrary), but I think that there is a dollop of forum Pals (albeit perhaps seriously in a sense ) 'playing around' with each other.

Regards
Chris

57 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi FionaBam,

Please don't beat yourself up. I may well be wrong (waiting for incoming to the contrary), but I think that there is a dollop of forum Pals (albeit perhaps seriously in a sense ) 'playing around' with each other.

Regards
Chris

Thank you, that's nice. Probably I get wound up too easily and yes missed the fact they were perhaps just " playing around" with me as well.

Time for some introspection on my behalf.  Now that I have stopped scrolling the pages of NMP Spring Sale on all their books. Hope my items remain in " my basket" tomorrow for a decision. 

Cheers 

Fiona 

14 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

Thank you, that's nice. Probably I get wound up too easily and yes missed the fact they were perhaps just " playing around" with me as well.

Time for some introspection on my behalf.  Now that I have stopped scrolling the pages of NMP Spring Sale on all their books. Hope my items remain in " my basket" tomorrow for a decision. 

Cheers 

Fiona 

Hi Fiona.
 As a non - Welsh speaking Englishman, living in the heart of Wales, my comment was made with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek!  

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Hi Fiona.
 As a non - Welsh speaking Englishman, living in the heart of Wales, my comment was made with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek!  

Thank you GWF.

You made me laught - a lot!

For a Welshman talking about the  Welsh Christmas ,  being Welsh and the hazards of speaking Welsh whilst living in England I recommend a BBC interview in 1955 with Richard Burton . He is funny.  

Tried adding a link to it here but the whole video embedded itself  permanently so have removed  the whole  comment.

Edited by FionaBam
Clarify which video I meant

9 hours ago, FionaBam said:

I was only joking! I thought that would be obvious but I see I have inadvertently caused offence and been assessed by others as being inherently racist and prejudiced. 

No offence taken! Joke understood!:thumbsup: That's why I stressed I was "talking with my academic hat on"! And how anyone could have understood your comment as being racist or isolationist or prejudiced is beyond me! :wacko:

Julian

1 hour ago, trajan said:

No offence taken! Joke understood!:thumbsup: That's why I stressed I was "talking with my academic hat on"! And how anyone could have understood your comment as being racist or isolationist or prejudiced is beyond me! :wacko:

Julian

All comments are racist, isolationist, prejudiced, biased, sexist unless decreed otherwise by the thought police within the last 24 hours.

No harm was caused . So sorry for putting the dampeners on an otherwise great thread here.

4 minutes ago, FionaBam said:

No harm was caused . So sorry for putting the dampeners on an otherwise great thread here.

:thumbsup::rolleyes: Julian

• 6 months later...

It was on last night. I slumbered through it but woke up with a start with the German fighter crash-landing, and the very odd ensuing scenes. Then the surviving messenger was picked up by a passing convoy of lorries, but were bogged down by a fallen tree blocking the road. The tree had been fallen by a modern tractor tree cutter, where a grab holds the trunk, a circular saw cuts it in one movement. The tractor manoeuvres and either strips the boughs or, (as in this case), lays the tree as required. It was all set in an empty field and as the road was blocked, all passing vehicles decided to drive through an enormous muddy puddle of which Peppa Pig would have been tremendously proud of. No-one thought of driving over the clean, grassy sod in the other direction. I expected the White Rabbit to appear, shouting "Wait for me! I'm late!"

19 hours ago, geraint said:

It was on last night. I slumbered through it but woke up with a start with the German fighter crash-landing, and the very odd ensuing scenes. Then the surviving messenger was picked up by a passing convoy of lorries, but were bogged down by a fallen tree blocking the road. The tree had been fallen by a modern tractor tree cutter, where a grab holds the trunk, a circular saw cuts it in one movement. The tractor manoeuvres and either strips the boughs or, (as in this case), lays the tree as required. It was all set in an empty field and as the road was blocked, all passing vehicles decided to drive through an enormous muddy puddle of which Peppa Pig would have been tremendously proud of. No-one thought of driving over the clean, grassy sod in the other direction. I expected the White Rabbit to appear, shouting "Wait for me! I'm late!"

I have this recorded so did not watch it the other night. I will look again at the lorry sequence, apart from a few parts this is, in my opinion a poor film

14 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

I will look again at the lorry sequence, 

One of the best bits! 🙈

6 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Best bit for me was the closing credits...

Timeless classic.  

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

Best bit for me was the closing credits...

Which followed the scenes shot in the pristine, regular cut in chalk trench, with absolutely no detritus despite 3 years of war and an imminent attack on the German front line…….thank the Lord for the credits, I was expecting Haig to appear and pin at least an MC on his tunic😁

Heaven help the next person who makes a film about World War 1.!!

Funnily enough that's my dream ...to make a film about my grandfather in WW1.

Wait till Jackson hears my story board ......☺️

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Which followed the scenes shot in the pristine, regular cut in chalk trench, with absolutely no detritus despite 3 years of war and an imminent attack on the German front line…….thank the Lord for the credits, I was expecting Haig to appear and pin at least an MC on his tunic😁

The trench they attacked from was a tad straight, note how the attack troops ran at great speed, most unlikely.

2 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

The trench they attacked from was a tad straight, note how the attack troops ran at great speed, most unlikely.

Am making notes for my story board 😎

1 hour ago, FionaBam said:

Am making notes for my story board 😎

I don’t think you could do a worse job Fiona.  

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

I don’t think you could do a worse job Fiona.  

Thank you thats very encouraging actually !

• 2 months later...

So! How's the filmboard developing Fiona! Remember that you will need obese, overweight old re-enactors with factory perfect kit to populate your cast. Though I'm not a re-enactor - I'm up for a staring role!

6 minutes ago, geraint said:

re-enactors with factory perfect kit to populate your cast.

Absolutely! Thank you that will be wonderful!  it will then  definitely be  historically accurate  and authentic,  and   free of  howlers to entertain the rest of the forum . 

Progress ?...  thank you for asking!  well , the usual  easily distracted me... looking at  either a film that includes Freddy's cousin William Herbert Bambridge  , could be -  both Marlborough College  educated ,   shots of  College ( am visiting it very soon!) , their separate  WW1 services,  the common  bond is coz  Freddy and his sister  lived with their cousin and cousin's parents   opposite the school. For Freddy , what a role model William must have been - academic, musical, in the Cricket XI and  8 years older than Freddy.   For Freddy to hear of William being KIA in 1917 whilst he was training up for the RNAS after his other  war  service..I cannot imagine . 

Nothing new is there,    but ........ what if I manage to show the German side , filmed with German actors ( from a similar German forum ?) the killing of William in 1917 ,  and planes  in action over Flanders/Ostende/ Zeebrugge  , and   the shooting down of Freddy's plane by a  German battery south of Ostende  and the  extraordinary plane crash Freddy had .. would that  pass the test?

Or its 2 separate films, one for William and one for Freddy 's entire  service history across army ,RFC and RNAS. Am leaning towards the former.

Dont tell anyone will you!

P.S. You could be the General of Williams 5th Division Army  ?

I do like the idea of a German side to the, (or both), film(s). Be very, very careful or you will be edging into AQOTWF territory. All Quiet On .... is, as you know from perusing these forum pages, in dire competition with 1917 and any derivatives,

I do like the idea of "Divisional General". Though my lowly working class background makes me more of a scum-of-the-earth type of private soldier suffering from rickets, scurvy and worms. I'd probably have an irritating skin condition which would hardly be officer material. I can't see my mother, somehow, sending me weekly parcels of whisky, pate and Dundee cake. Thank you Fiona, and do pencil me in on your dance card for next Xmas's Regimental Ball.

I won't tell anyone a anything!

Very glad to have your views. And thank you re: German side guidance . Its probably even trickier to get right than the Allied side.

Ha ha ! Well if you insist ..there could be a different role. I'll think on it.

of course!  I'd be delighted! That's if I can book the carriage :D

On 06/02/2024 at 23:56, geraint said:

staring role!

How hard would you be staring? ;):P:wub:

Not as hard I would be dirrecting.......☺️