Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

On 18/12/2022 at 23:33, 593jones said:

I'm sure she'll be even more delighted when you tell her that 'Zulu' is being shown on New Years Eve in the afternoon (Channel 5)  😁

Already shown today on Sky Cinema Greats @12, can see it again so that makes up for the missing years😂😂

2 hours ago, KGB said:

True story, Lib Dem conference, three Moderators dealing with 900 enquiries against the clock. After, as the dust settles one said "That was the cyber equivalent of Rorke's Drift". He was reported for "racism". 

There isn't an emoji for head in hands, so I'll go with this one. 🤦‍♂️

Edited by 593jones

17 hours ago, 593jones said:

There isn't an emoji for head in hands, so I'll go with this one. 🤦‍♂️

Don't be so rotten. People probably needed counselling and a safe place to go after an outrage like that.

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Don't be so rotten. People probably needed counselling and a safe place to go after an outrage like that.

Overheard from ex Lib Dem "They asked me to put down my personal pronouns. I wrote "It/It". They took me seriously. I quit the following day. 

I watched my recording of "1917" last night and was generally impressed, though I didn't particularly enjoy it. I was a little distracted by wondering how some of the sets were created and how the seamless photography was achieved, and by being conscious of the scenery that was Salisbury Plain. The set for the action in the ruined town was a little surreal - and there was the notorious waterfall episode.

There were a number of errors that I noticed, but most of these would have passed by the uninformed viewer. There's a long list on IMDB (at least one of which, about there being no black soldiers in the British Army in 1917, is wrong).

The average rating score on IMDB is 8.2; I gave it 8.

Filming locations

Last night I watched several YouTube items about "1917", but in two cases gave up because a contributor to the discussion was so strident. And they seemed to feature the same short clips, sometimes more than once or twice in the same video. I must have seen at least seven times the burly moustachioed sergeant that the two messengers brush past early on the trench.

I did wonder about that long, long trench carved through the chalk, with fresh white spoil heaped up on either side. I know little about trench design, but I gather that "saps" did extend into No-Man's Land (see LLT), but the "1917" one did seem very long, and the white chalk making it very visible to German air reconnaissance.

Some concern about possible damage was expressed when filming was being planned on the western part of Salisbury Plain, but I imagine that all has now been restored?

MORE: I started working my way through this 40-page thread (though I gave up on page 19) and, boy, all that early cynicism - and hypotheses  that proved unfounded (not to mention the diversions from WWI that created  concern for the Mods). I was (almost) as much to blame as others, though on December 16, 2019 I noted "following the cynicism early on (some of which in retrospect was greatly misdirected), is a slightly more positive attitude creeping into this thread?"

The feared American involvement in the plot was non-existent, though there was a brief interlude with a paysanne that, thankfully, didn't turn into an instant romance).

A recurring theme was Steven Broomfield's increasing angst, with his admitting on August 29, 2019: "I'm still waiting to see the finished article. In fact, I am waiting so impatiently that Mrs Broomfield feels I might burst before it arrives."

I didn't read far enough through the thread to find out if he was able to remain continent.

Edited by Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have now watched the film '1917', it works as a film and holds the interest (the 'jeopardy' factor, will they make it etc.).  However, I don't think it shows a battlefield situation from April 1917 (date it states at the beginning, the 6th wasn't it?), a cut off Brigade going to attack apparently with out artillery support or logistics line? Phone line down so only method is to send runners?  However, the 'general' is acting on information from air photos, aircraft are seen in the air (but only 'fighters' apparently) so weather is OK for flying, so why not send a Corps machine to do a message drop?  Answer a rather short and uninteresting film!

Mike

The new 'All quiet on the Western Front' shows how this 1917 could have been and should have been done....

Julian

30 minutes ago, trajan said:

The new 'All quiet on the Western Front' shows how this 1917 could have been and should have been done....

Julian

Really? I hasten to disagree: it was uninvolving, over-egged, with too much concentration on CGI and special effects. Poor characterisation, totally unnecessary sub-plot about the Armistice negotiation, confused timeline and, to cap it all, final scenes so ridiculous as to completely destroy any claim to reality.

The recent Journey's End movie is a far better bet, but had very limited release. It stuck to the original source and trusted its advisers.

45 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Really? I hasten to disagree: it was uninvolving, over-egged, with too much concentration on CGI and special effects. Poor characterisation, totally unnecessary sub-plot about the Armistice negotiation, confused timeline and, to cap it all, final scenes so ridiculous as to completely destroy any claim to reality.

The recent Journey's End movie is a far better bet, but had very limited release. It stuck to the original source and trusted its advisers.

I am thinking more of the action shots. To me, in '1917' the lads meeting the German fighter pilot was ten times more ridiculous than anything in 'AQOTWF'! Add to that the lack of using the wrong subsoil in '1917' - clay, not chalk lands, 'AQOTWF' being based on real life experience (although the author was a RE guy), not 21st century fiction, etc.. But we can agree :thumbsup:to disagree. 

Julian 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 'All quiet' may not have satisfied some GWF members but receiving some 14 BAFTA award nominations says something about the film's broader appeal! https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jan/19/baftas-nominations-all-quiet-on-the-western-front 

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Well, 'All quiet' may not have satisfied some GWF members but receiving some 14 BAFTA award nominations says something about the film's broader appeal! https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jan/19/baftas-nominations-all-quiet-on-the-western-front 

Style over substance imho. 
 Those marking the homework may not have known anything about the subject!

• 3 months later...
On 07/01/2023 at 13:40, Steven Broomfield said:

I saw Journeys  End on TV last month and found it well produced and very moving 

• 2 weeks later...

"1917" is being screened on BBC2 at 2100, Monday, May 8. The preview in The Times asks "The war  film to end all war  films? Not quite. But close."

Not able to watch it over here... I staill rate 'Nicht neues' as much better!

Julian

2 minutes ago, trajan said:

'Nicht neues'

Is that a Turkish version of 'Nicht the Nine O'Clock Neues' ?

14 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is that a Turkish version of 'Nicht the Nine O'Clock Neues' ?

:doh: Na, mae'r fersiwn Gymraeg o 'Nid yn unig ond hefyd'...

6 minutes ago, trajan said:

:doh: Na, mae'r fersiwn Gymraeg o 'Nid yn unig ond hefyd'...

'Dwi'n deall.

Diolch yn fawr.

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

'Dwi'n deall.

Diolch yn fawr.

For you, mate, I try to do my best!:thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, trajan said:

For you, mate, I try to do my best!:thumbsup:

Talking in foreign tongues....is that allowed ?:D

Edited by FionaBam
Add emoji

1 minute ago, FionaBam said:

Talking in foreign tongues....is that allowed ?:D

Yes, we’ll accept English!

1 minute ago, GWF1967 said:

Yes, we’ll accept English!

Ha ha ha! Touche!

With my academic hat on(!), English, German, and French, are usually accepted as standard here as in most academically inclined (!!!) international web sites. But we have Slovakian, Slovenian, German, Polish, and even Welsh and Ahmeriycan contibuturs - and more! - to GWF, and so, as WW1 involved so many, yes, all lanugages from all participants are accepted! Well, perhaps not the Platt Deutsch I learnt years ago working on the Luneberger Heide... Google translate is always at hand for those who - like me! - dont have multi-lingual abilities!

Edited by trajan

19 minutes ago, trajan said:

With my academic hat on(!), English, German, and French, are usually accepted as standard here as in most academically inclined (!!!) international web sites. But we have Slovakian, Slovenian, German, Polish, and even Welsh and Ahmeriycan contibuturs - and more! - to GWF, and so, as WW1 involved so many, yes, all lanugages from all participants are accepted! Well, perhaps not the Platt Deutsch I learnt years ago working on the Luneberger Heide... Google translate is always at hand for those who - like me! - dont have multi-lingual abilities!

I was only joking! I thought that would be obvious but I see I have inadvertently caused offence and been assessed by others as being inherently racist and prejudiced. 

In my opinion and assessment I am neither .

I will refrain from being trivial  comments and from one of my favourite activities which is playing on words ( see " tongues" mentioned in thread a few comments before mine)and  attempting to make people laugh.