Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

12 minutes ago, Rob Comber said:

Yes I’m sure they could’ve invented some reason why it wasn’t practical and perhaps mentioned other messengers being sent out to make the central plot device more believable 

I believe dropping a message from a plane was mentioned during the film but was thought to be risky in regards to reaching the intended target. It was possibly  said by the General or one of the two lead characters. Maybe someone who has yet to see the film can confirm this. 

Having seen an interview with Mendes where he talks about "chalk white trenches in Belgium", I seriously doubt his knowledge. Do people after 100 year still don't realise the differences between Flanders (Belgium) and Northern France and the differences in geology all along the front line?

Flanders covers part of Belgium and part of Northern France.

22 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Flanders covers part of Belgium and part of Northern France.

Yes, but no chalk soil on the front line in Belgium.

3 hours ago, Myrtle said:

I believe dropping a message from a plane was mentioned during the film but was thought to be risky in regards to reaching the intended target. It was possibly  said by the General or one of the two lead characters. Maybe someone who has yet to see the film can confirm this. 

Hi

Dropping messages or signalling messages to front line units was certainly possible and was done during the follow up to the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, 'War in the Air' Volume III, page 329, mentions:

"There, were, indeed, a number of instances, on both army fronts, when aeroplanes were used to carry messages from forward units to corps head-quarters, and when urgent corps operation orders were similarly carried in the opposite direction."

The aeroplane could 'call up' the battalion with its Klaxon, the battalion could put out its Shutter signalling panel and identifying panels and communication could be undertake.  The aeroplane could drop a message in a message bag with streamer or use its signalling lamp.  However, if the weather was unsuitable for flying then this method could not be used.  If it was an important urgent methods then various alternative communication systems would be used for the same message, aeroplane, runner, visual signalling etc.

I have not seen the film but the plot needed runners to work, so they may well have been an 'as well as' other methods and maybe not the only method being used in the film which would be legitimate, but I don't know.  Reality shows that aeroplanes could and would be used for this on occasions.

Mike

The generals might have sent air messages, among others, but not told that to the two squaddies so as to increase their sense of the urgency of the situation? No requirement for the Lance Jack to know about other attempts to send messages.:thumbsup:

My missus want to know, how did the letter/orders survive that rather moist river adventure?

Kept in a remarkably watertight tin in his top left hand jacket pocket.

I will not dwell on the inaccuracies or the mention in April 1917 that 'It will be over by Christmas'. Far fetched, maybe, although some of the real accounts of WW1 could also be described as such.  An example of real life is one of the 9th Bn Sherwoods, jumping out of the front line when his young officer was killed at Messines. Returning the following morning, alive but not exactly mentally functioning properly.  

I was 'treated' to the IMAX experience and was for the most part engrossed in it which for someone who visits the cinema once every 20 years must be good. :) 

I wonder though how much Mr Cumberbatch got paid for his minute of filming.

Basically if you enjoy a good film, then go and see it. 

Edited by stevem49

With his personal photo's! I should have remembered that!

Re the plane dropping orders, if it had there would have been no need to make this film. Which I enjoyed as a well shot piece of entertainment.

1 minute ago, stevem49 said:

I wonder would you mind editing your post - there is a rather huge spoiler in the second sentence

The orders were in an envelope stuffed inside his tunic and not in the tin kept in his breast pocket......he dried out remarkably quickly for an early April morning......as did the letter. And thinking about it did pilots carry bayonets?

Just come back from watching it. I was apprehensive about going but I enjoyed it despite the 'Hollywood' story-line and the inconsistencies of who knew who was where, etc. Loved the cinematography and the extras doing pretty mundane things off to the sides. In my opinion, a better war film than War Horse, Dunkirk and The Imitation Game (don't get me started on the latter!). I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest.

3 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

Dropping messages or signalling messages to front line units was certainly possible and was done during the follow up to the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line, 'War in the Air' Volume III, page 329, mentions:

"There, were, indeed, a number of instances, on both army fronts, when aeroplanes were used to carry messages from forward units to corps head-quarters, and when urgent corps operation orders were similarly carried in the opposite direction."

The aeroplane could 'call up' the battalion with its Klaxon, the battalion could put out its Shutter signalling panel and identifying panels and communication could be undertake.  The aeroplane could drop a message in a message bag with streamer or use its signalling lamp.  However, if the weather was unsuitable for flying then this method could not be used.  If it was an important urgent methods then various alternative communication systems would be used for the same message, aeroplane, runner, visual signalling etc.

I have not seen the film but the plot needed runners to work, so they may well have been an 'as well as' other methods and maybe not the only method being used in the film which would be legitimate, but I don't know.  Reality shows that aeroplanes could and would be used for this on occasions.

Mike

Mike

Yes I am aware that messages were sometimes dropped  from planes. Thank you for your description.
In this case, I was pointing out what I believe was said during the film.

2 hours ago, AlanCurragh said:

I wonder would you mind editing your post - there is a rather huge spoiler in the second sentence

I would hope anyone who'd not yet seen the movie and really wanted to savour it when they did would have the sense not to be reading too closely posts on the 23rd page of the thread about the movie.

Spoiler or not, we're going to see it... am now using all possible weapons available to drag Boyfriend to LEUVEN rather than Waremme because I will NOT sit through a British war movie dubbed in French !!

imagine the horror!! 

M.

9 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Oh come on ... it wasn't that bad!

As much as I enjoyed it.... yes War Horse was better but will admit that the stage is better than the screen.

26 minutes ago, Tom Kilkenny said:

I would hope anyone who'd not yet seen the movie and really wanted to savour it when they did would have the sense not to be reading too closely posts on the 23rd page of the thread about the movie.

I guess so - I have been keeping an eye on this thread and was very glad I didn't see that comment before seeing the movie earlier today. . 

Watched it this afternoon an enjoyed the FILM, especially the first/last 20 mins or so. Why didn't they drop a messsge from a plane? Because that would have been a very short FILM. In my option it's well worth going to see the FILM for entertainment value. Otherwise you can stay at home and watch the renowned BBC DOCUMENTARY....The Great War?

Sajackr

I saw the film on the opening Friday and was extremely picky when it finished. A lot of the movie, while looking fantastic just didn't make sense. It was as though the director had flicked through a Voices of ww1 book, underlined a few bits, then made the movie around these key bits. 

Looked great, in parts I can imagine the horrors of being there ( apart from a river looking like the rapids with a waterfall at the end of it ).

However.... I know we have modern day spies across the globe but suspect their days are not really like the Mission Impossible movies which I love, so I need to just think of it as a story set in WW1 and not get hung up on it. You never know, it hopefully will lead some who loved it to delve deeper, and hopefully end up here, and on the Western Front to pay respects and walk over the fields themselves. Just dont expect to see any rapids 😄😄😄

Edited by Andy davidson

19 minutes ago, Andy davidson said:

I saw the film on the opening Friday and was extremely picky when it finished. A lot of the movie, while looking fantastic just didn't make sense. It was as though the director had flicked through a Voices of ww1 book, underlined a few bits, then made the movie around these key bits. 

Looked great, in parts I can imagine the horrors of being there ( apart from a river looking like the rapids with a waterfall at the end of it ).

However.... I know we have modern day spies across the globe but suspect their days are not really like the Mission Impossible movies which I love, so I need to just think of it as a story set in WW1 and not get hung up on it. You never know, it hopefully will lead some who loved it to delve deeper, and hope fully end up here, and on the Western Front to pay respects and walk over the fields themselves. Just dont expect to see and rapids 😄😄😄

It’s just good to see these sorts of themes on the big screen. Dunkirk, Warhorse and 1917 may not be all we wanted them to be but they will encourage more films of their type which can surely only be a good thing   👍

Edited by Rob Comber

14 hours ago, Tom Kilkenny said:

I would have thought the thread was just the place for those who haven't seen it, particularly after the request by the Admin not to post spoilers.

10 hours ago, Rob Comber said:

It’s just good to see these sorts of themes on the big screen. Dunkirk, Warhorse and 1917 may not be all we wanted them to be but they will encourage more films of their type which can surely only be a good thing   👍

The only time i bother to go to the cinema nowadays is to see a WW1 film ( 1917 , They Shall not Grow Old , Journey's End , Warhorse ) so i hope they make a few more .

I agree with those who say it's a film not a documentary , what i enjoy about these type of films is that you get an sort of virtual reality idea of what it might have been like

for a Tommy on the Western Front , and an idea is all we can ever achieve .

Visiting a WW1 battlefield in January in the snow , biting wind and mud then realising that apart from spending your time in a hole in the ground where you exist, eat and sleep in that lot and where there was an enemy to trying to kill you with all sorts of nastiness gives a pretty fair idea as well.

4 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Visiting a WW1 battlefield in January in the snow , biting wind and mud then realising that apart from spending your time in a hole in the ground where you exist, eat and sleep in that lot and where there was an enemy to trying to kill you with all sorts of nastiness gives a pretty fair idea as well.

As with films all we need to do is use a bit of imagination i suppose , but like i say none of us will ever really know because none of us were there .