Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

1 hour ago, Alan24 said:

My GGF was killed on 12th April whilst his unit were following the Germans back to the Hindenburg Line at St.Quentin. Reports say it was bitterly cold and snowing.

Incidentally, his last diary entry was 6th April.

Alan.

On 11th April the 8th Cavalry Brigade galloped German positions north of Monchy, east of Arras, in a blizzard.

Quite a bizarre film, I`m not sure what to make of it. The first 20 minutes or so in no mans land was like a normal story, then it started to seem like a computer shoot em up game. One thing that did stand out for me was the utter desolation and destruction of the landscape, and the rotting bodies everywhere. The only thing missing was the smell.

I have just read on Twitter that there were "Too many black Tommies".

15 hours ago, RichardsProductions99 said:

Thank you for mentioning that, I've sent him an email. I wondered where the props went, I thought some must've ended up with someone.

I saw Andrew today

Ta Da!

Quite a nice No 5 / no 23 copy in resin. Pin pulls out. Designed to be seen from a distance so don't be tooooo critical.

SSCN3850.JPG.671bce7a38a10c0169ac8f22c47a4ad0.JPG

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have just read on Twitter that there were "Too many black Tommies".

Not the words I would have chosen myself, but I can understand the point the writer is trying to make.

I thought to myself  that my grandfather ( who that week was at Neuville Vitasse, moving up to Beaumetz les Cambrai in the middle of the month) wouldn't have seen many infantry battalions containing quite so many Tommies of colour, or Sikh Tommies at that time. No one disagrees with equality of opportunity, but there are times when that distorts historical accuracy.

Talking of historical accuracy, I distinctly heard the howling of a Great Northern Diver in one scene.

Stretching it just a little bit I thought. These breed in the sub-arctic zones of Northern America & Scandinavia. They do travel south in winter, commonly seen around the shores of North western Europe, even into the Med. They are also seen in lakes in coastal areas, but I think The Arras region in April, against the backdrop of falling cherry blossom, is stretching it just a little.

Not impossible, but I can suggest locations with a far higher likelihood of seeing one.

42 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

No one disagrees with equality of opportunity, but there are times when that distorts historical accuracy.

I suppose it changed from Regiment to Regiment Corps to Corps. I have the personal papers and photographs of a soldier who was a driver in the ASC

He was originally of West Indian origin, and joined up in his 30's. I have a number of photos of him and his colleagues in cars and trucks and around 30% of the soldiers with him are either Caribbean or Indian origin. So certainly in the ASC people of colour as they are called ( I hate the term)  were well represented.

My review no spoilers.

Visually Stunning 

Ludicrous plot 

Awful  script

It’s NOT All Quiet  on the Western Front  

though seemingly astonishingly quiet on the western front! 

Just saw it. I agree with the general view that it is technically great and the attention to detail is wonderful but it has a silly plot that seems to belong to a different film (or video game). Cliched and predictable in parts too. Shame, it could have been a truly great war film

37 minutes ago, Gunboat said:

My review no spoilers.

Visually Stunning 

Ludicrous plot 

Awful  script

For me, that sums it up very well

8 hours ago, alastaircox said:

I thought it a very good film, well worth watching in the cinema and, like Dunkirk, an Imax cinema preferably. I watched it in a packed cinema and the audience were completely absorbed with the film from start to finish, not a crisp packet to be heard! My gripes were all very minor, the pick of them was that the whether the soldiers were in the Cheshires or the Devons, they all spoke with the same distinctly 'esturine' accent. 

Get ya point about the accents when the protagonist hooked up with Cheshires Captain and his band of disperate soldiers, including the odd Sepoy or two.

From what I could ascertain.... Schofield referred to himself as 8th Battalion when he met up with the 2nd Devons, also Blake had a Devonshire badge on his helmet, so guess they were supposed to be 8th Devons... Which is odd as the closing shots of one of the main protagonist show him wearing what looks like an East Surreys shoulder title..... A few others bits throughout the film that the inner pedant in me noticed. 

Thought the film was worth watching, but matching the hype probably not, cinematography was good and kept me watching, but to me and Mrs Mole something was missing, she couldn't connect with the two main characters, particularly Scholfield, whose coldness was perhaps driven by being a Somme Offensive veteran (alluded to) and having become numb to it all & not wanting to make close friendships, but driven by loyalty & duty. 

Would watch it again though for a second opinion, a 7/10 for me. 

All things being equal, I aim to see it tomorrow lunchtime at the Vue, Eastleigh. Hoping the old codger ticket price applies to striplings like me.

2 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

All things being equal, I aim to see it tomorrow lunchtime at the Vue, Eastleigh. Hoping the old codger ticket price applies to striplings like me.

They're advertising "All Films, All Day £4.99"

Not sure if there is any further discounts except "Kid's Mornings" at £2.49.

Alan.

1 minute ago, Alan24 said:

Not sure if there is any further discounts except "Kid's Mornings" at £2.49.

Alan.

Well ... biy of Grecian 2000 and you never know.

49 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

From what I could ascertain.... Schofield referred to himself as 8th Battalion when he met up with the 2nd Devons, also Blake had a Devonshire badge on his helmet, so guess they were supposed to be 8th Devons... Which is odd as the closing shots of one of the main protagonist show him wearing what looks like an East Surreys shoulder title..... A few others bits throughout the film that the inner pedant in me noticed. 

I think you mis-saw the helmet badge possibly?

In the stills I've seen, it is an East Surrey's one (similar in shape to the Devonshire one admittedly but distinguishable by the curvy title beneath the castle) This is backed up by the dark purple-ish battle patch stripes on their tunic arms, marking them as being of the 8th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment. Their helmets also have a dark (only just noticeable) line around them, another identifier of the 8th Battalion.

With regards to battle insignia, they were spot on as far as I could see.

Edited by RichardsProductions99

9 minutes ago, RichardsProductions99 said:

I think you mis-saw the helmet badge possibly?

In the stills I've seen, it is an East Surrey's one (similar in shape to the Devonshire one admittedly but distinguishable by the curvy title beneath the castle) This is backed up by the dark purple-ish battle patch stripes on their tunic arms, marking them as being of the 8th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment. Their helmets also have a dark (only just noticeable) line around them, another identifier of the 8th Battalion.

Cheers, well that would explain it.. TBH I was trying to figure the cap badge out between that and the Devonshire Regiment one.. Twas the way when asked where he had come from he just said 8th Battalion, all other units were referred by shortened titles.. Yorks, Devons, so made me lean towards the Devons, plus I am sure I saw the same badge on man later whilst the Devons were forming up, but as you say the capbadge less the  East Surrey scroll is very similar.. So could have been mistaken.. Hence the need for a second watch.. 

Being an extra must have been an experience..! 

Andy

10 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Cheers, well that would explain it.. TBH I was trying to figure the cap badge out between that and the Devonshire Regiment one.. Twas the way when asked where he had come from he just said 8th Battalion, all other units were referred by shortened titles.. Yorks, Devons, so made me lean towards the Devons, plus I am sure I saw the same badge on man later whilst the Devons were forming up, but as you say the capbadge less the  East Surrey scroll is very similar.. So could have been mistaken.. Hence the need for a second watch.. 

Being an extra must have been an experience..! 

Andy

You're welcome! The badges are very similar, easily confused. 

As you say, worth another watch, I think I'm going to see it again myself. It's one of those films that there's so much detail you miss a lot of it first viewing.

It was quite an experience indeed, all the more poignant I think, being around the same age as my relatives who fought, particularly my Great Grandfather (who was at the Battle of Poelcapelle like Mendes' Grandfather, and carried messages as a signaller).

Edited by RichardsProductions99

I have just seen it. I thought it was excellent.

2 hours ago, Gunboat said:

My review no spoilers.

Visually Stunning 

Ludicrous plot 

Awful  script

Agree with you mate. The plot is far fetched, perhaps half remembered occurrences, a series of separate incidents run together to make one unlikely story. As you say, visually stunning and some excellent detail but I gave up attempting to see any reality about half an hour in.

There was a baby in one scene for a few minutes and a Mid Wife on the credits...the baby appeared to be several  weeks old..

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Did for me, in fact nobody actually checked our tickets, which we purchased from a machine at the flea pits entrance. Old codgers price but take your own treats. Bottle  of water and bag of chocs were over £6!

1 minute ago, Myrtle said:

Yes  Dreamworks

3 minutes ago, RichardsProductions99 said:

And Amblin Partners, key financiers to the project I believe. 

OK.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have just seen it. I thought it was excellent.

So did I. Yes the plot was thin but in the round an excellent film. As a uniform buff I thought the uniforms were pretty much spot on, battle insignia very good. I took Mrs Holden she also enjoyed it. 

Given the paucity of films about WW1 I am surprised about the negative reviews. Cinema is not history just entertainment and 1917 entertained me and a full cinema for  2 hours without a crunch of popcorn from anyone. 1917 Sits alongside Gallipolli and the much underrated (IMO) 'The Trench' in my top three.

Mark   

9 hours ago, squirrel said:

There was a baby in one scene for a few minutes and a Mid Wife on the credits...the baby appeared to be several  weeks old..

Depends upon the weight. I knew a couple who had an 11 lb baby and at birth it looked about three months old. Amazing.