Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

I had almost made up my mind not to see it based on the trailer of the two running equipment-less across a line of attack, but I thought I would see what others thought. 

Having read all the reports on here, my mind is now made up, I am not bothering.  A magnificent visual spectacle with a poor story, is like fake food, it ain't doing what its supposed to do, but I will continue to read your impressions with interest.

Seems a shame, there was an opportunity to tell a true story, of some real individuals caught up in the catastrophe, but no, oh well!

I thought it was great, and I went thoroughly expecting to be affronted. FWIW, I'd say it isn't a film about the Great War, it's a hero's journey (h/t Joseph Campbell) with the Great War as a backdrop. When the opening line came up referencing the German retreat and giving the date as 6th April, I thought 'here we go, historically illiterate...' In the end, it doesn't matter - 6th April 1917 was Good Friday, which is no accident - the story features death/rebirth and the theme of 'greater love hath no man...' The river is a pointed way of saying 'don't take this landscape literally' - even my missus commented on the canal-to-ravine-with-plunging-waterfall transition in a few hundred yards. The song that brings Schofield back to his senses on dry land is 'The Wandering Stranger' - again, a non-too-subtle hint that we're in the land of the Odyssey.

Thanks! Wouldn't mind being Mr M just now :)   

2 hours ago, T8HANTS said:

I had almost made up my mind not to see it based on the trailer of the two running equipment-less across a line of attack

That one scene almost put me off seeing it - it looked so ridiculous. In the event, it takes up maybe 30 seconds of the film. Accepting all the various criticisms of the film, on balance I'd still say it's worth seeing, and seeing in the cinema where the sounds envelope you. For me there was more positive than negative. Forget the storyline and, instead, appreciate the terrain, the trenches, and the soldiers.

On 16/01/2020 at 12:51, Bart150 said:

The film starts on 6 April 1917, the day the USA entered the War. It may be that the film-makers expected that many Americans who saw the film would think: ‘6 April 1917. So the Brits had been enduring all that stuff for three years before we even entered the war. Wow!’

I don’t know if the film-makers did expect that. But if they did, was it a realistic expectation or a naïve one? Do a substantial number of Americans recognise the significance of 6 April 1917 in the way that British people recognise, say, 1 July 1916 or 11 November 1918 or 6 June 1944?

I have just put this question to some well-educated Americans I know. Their answer was this: ‘Most Americans will not know a particular date for the U.S. entry into the war. Many may know 1914-1918; some of those will know that the U.S. joined late.’

We discussed this sevearl (many?) pages back. My thought entirely echoes yours: I doubt many Americans could name the year they entered the GW, let alone the date.

If this woman from Wiltshire had had her way the film wouldn't have gone ahead:

complain.jpg

Edited by Gareth Davies

3 hours ago, Old Forge said:

The song that brings Schofield back to his senses on dry land is 'The Wandering Stranger' - again, a non-too-subtle hint that we're in the land of the Odyssey.

I wish that song was on the film soundtrack, but it isn't. I thought that scene was very evocative after all the hassle and bustle of beforehand. BTW, it's actually called 'The Wayfaring Stranger'.

Edited by suesalter1

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

complain.jpg

I expect she didn`t get the irony of her last sentence.... <_<

Edited by slick63

Saw it this afternoon.

No complaints with the film at all/Happy to have history stretched a little bit.

Only rubber soled boot I saw was in the main publicity picture (soldier left foreground).

I thought the German underground bunker looked very well done.

2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

She sounds a bit like Brenda from Bristol.

Is she related I wonder?

4 hours ago, suesalter1 said:

I wish that song was on the film soundtrack, but it isn't. I thought that scene was very evocative after all the hassle and bustle of beforehand. BTW, it's actually called 'The Wayfaring Stranger'.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DytYVVdG8buI&ved=2ahUKEwiYtcOPzYvnAhXVnVwKHbuvAa0Qo7QBMAZ6BAgAEA4&usg=AOvVaw0noMwAlQctSH-j0PBg_0Do

I saw it tonight and thought it excellent. It's a film, entertainment, not a documentary. The cinematography was excellent e.g. following the guys through the trenches and the night scenes in the town. I wasn't looking for mistakes (though I realise I'm a noob here), I was just enjoying the spectacle, effort and craft that went into this :)

9 minutes ago, Trav said:

I saw it tonight and thought it excellent. It's a film, entertainment, not a documentary. The cinematography was excellent e.g. following the guys through the trenches and the night scenes in the town. I wasn't looking for mistakes (though I realise I'm a noob here), I was just enjoying the spectacle, effort and craft that went into this :)

A refreshing attitude 👍

On 17/01/2020 at 04:37, JeffMcN said:

Because it was Bloody April and all the British planes were shot out of the sky. Wait. But then....   hmmm.  The trouble with history is that it all gets in the way of the story.

I'm sure that although the name 'Bloody April' seemed appropriate at the time, German aircraft were shot down that month. It couldn't have been totally one sided.

8 hours ago, Trav said:

100% agree with that. I saw it yesterday and I didn't go with a nit pickers hat on. I enjoyed it so did my wife who was very impressed.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Saw it yesterday evening.

First thing Boyfriend said when the movie was done was: "wait with your comments until we're outside"... he must have heard my mumbled "yeah right"s a couple of time… i gotta hand it,: the single shot camera thing really brings the film to life, it's brilliantly done.

But this must be by far the most diverse (in the sense of diversity as we see it today in HR) WWI-British army I've ever seen… coloured people in the ranks, an Indian in a platoon, chattering about with the others, an asian soldier… I also think that the use of the "F" word is more of an americanism… Don't think one would ever catch a truly BRITISH officer say "f***ing" or "f*** off" in 1917... or did they?

I'm not getting started on the so-called CCS, just outside the trench, in a lush green pasture… so close to the frontline were RAPs and they looked nothing like that. Also funny that Lt Blake seems to be leading wounded in coming from completely the opposite side…

whatever… it was a nice movie, the cinema in Leuven was packed, so I guess that'll be good for box office stats and I had a nice time.

As already said earlier: it's a movie, not a documentary!

Have a good WE everyone!!

M.

PS: one thing we've learned: Germans are lousy shots!!!

Just back from the cinema and I thought I would be the first person in 26 pages to say how great it was.  But the last 3 or 4 have liked it...

It was great!

I decided to go in not worrying about whether the 3rd button from the top of the tunic of the 2nd man on the left was actually a 1918 pattern.  The SBRs looked wrong slung over the shoulder but I let that go.  Perhaps there were units that did that, just as the AIF made up its own rules.  As a movie it was very well done and I would recommend it.

The cinema in Tuggeranong didn't have a massive audience but there were no mobile phones or popcorn noises, so that's a good sign for a modern audience. 

53 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

er… I also think that the use of the "F" word is more of an americanism… Don't think one would ever catch a truly BRITISH officer say "f***ing" or "f*** off" in 1917... or did they?

Whilst browsing on You Tube last night, came across a full length 1999 film titled The Trench.

Staring very young versions of Daniel Craig and Danny Dyer....I say no more.

Alan.

Marilyne,

A British officer saying f***ing ??

Provided he pronounces the “g” at the end of it, all is well !

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

More.. 

I also thought it was the best recreation of a No man's land since 'A very long engagement'. 

Excellent. 

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I also think that the use of the "F" word is more of an americanism

Well it was certainly used by British troops in WW1 although whether or not an officer would use it when addressing an OR, I don't know.

On the use of the f*** word. I seem to recall an earlier post suggesting the f*** word was over used in the film and perhaps reflected an introduced Americanism.

But a 1999 Guardian report on "Lest we forget: the 306 'cowards' we executed in the first world war" (https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/nov/14/firstworldwar.uk) quotes a sergeant-major as saying : 'If you don't go up to the ******* front, I'm going to ******* blow your brains out.' 

3 hours ago, Alan24 said:

Whilst browsing on You Tube last night, came across a full length 1999 film titled The Trench.

Staring very young versions of Daniel Craig and Danny Dyer....I say no more.

Alan.

Alan, 

If memory serves me, the posh officer was sticking a few “Fs” into Daniel Craig, who had just been riddled with bullets and fell dying into the trench.

Phil