Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele weekend

bruce

I didn't realize i was KGB, apologies if you found it distasteful, it wasn't my intention. But from the picture the headstones face the other way and from what i remember and from other photos i took in that spot, there's too much ground behind the headstones behind me to be standing on a body. I may be wrong, and if i am then i apologize but it wasn't my intention to stand on a grave.

34 minutes ago, KGB said:

You are standing on a dead body, move slightly to side? 

What nonsense! It's a cemetery. There is grass everywhere to walk on with no demarcation of where the bodies lie. 

1 hour ago, KGB said:

You are standing on a dead body, move slightly to side? 

Really? So no walking on the grass?  

There is a good chance of that wherever you stand, not just in cemeteries but on the battlefields as a whole.

19 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Yours truly on the 31st of July. I'm only 16, must be one of the youngest on the forum?

IMG_6360.JPG

You are a credit young man,there were quite a few 'scruffs' there

Thank you gillchadwick! My personal favorite of the attire present was a lady with bright red Nike trainers! For the most part everyone looked presentable, but some... I despair :D 

I saw men in jeans, no jackets, no ties. Even worse many failed to remove their hats during the Last Post and National Anthems, and were more likely to stand to take pictures than to acknowledge the Colour. 

2 hours ago, Harvey H said:

Thank you gillchadwick! My personal favorite of the attire present was a lady with bright red Nike trainers! For the most part everyone looked presentable, but some... I despair :D 

Would you please marry my daughter? (don't worry, only joking...)

Arranged marriage in the Western World, pushing the boat out a bit there mate :D 

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I saw men in jeans, no jackets, no ties. Even worse many failed to remove their hats during the Last Post and National Anthems, and were more likely to stand to take pictures than to acknowledge the Colour. 

What's so wrong with jeans, no jackets, and no ties?  I didn't realise there was a dress code at Tyne Cot - last time I was there I was wearing shorts.

I am pretty sure it said to dress smartly, I am certain it did for the Somme centenary so I doubt it would be different for the Centenary at Tyne Cot. I may be wrong though Gareth. 

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Harvey H said:

I am pretty sure it said to dress smartly, I am certain it did for the Somme centenary so I doubt it would be different for the Centenary at Tyne Cot. I may be wrong though Gareth. 

They asked for gentlemen to wear Lounge Suits or Business attire and Ladies to wear suitable footwear for grassed areas.

Hard to understand why people need to be told how to dress accordingly for such  a formal ceremony,

• Admin
7 minutes ago, gillchadwick said:

They asked for gentlemen to wear Lounge Suits or Business attire and Ladies to wear suitable footwear for grassed areas.

Hard to understand why people need to be told how to dress accordingly for such  a formal ceremony,

Ladies wearing suitable footwear fir grassed areas. Presumably they didn't ask the Duchess of Cambridge to do that. 

Michelle. As any fule kno, Royals hover slightly above the ground. They're not like us.

I do recall at the last 'big' Tyne Cot that I attended (probably 1997) that some extraneous entertainment was provided by watching several very smartly dressed ladies (I think one might have been the NZ Defence Attache's wife, but I could be mistaken) having problems with their stilettos as they sank into the ground - in fact, IIRC, one lady just took them off and rushed along to get into the appropriate line. The clerical party was a little late for things as well, so a fine array of be-cassocked gents were to be observed making an undignified dash for the start line. Quite a fine do - they had the Light Division band there, as well as a Belgian one. The Light Division the previous night caused some excitement in their approach march to the Menin Gate for the Last Post (a case of every person for themselves as they came thundering up the approach road); whilst the sound under the Menin Gate was VERY LOUD - they marched smartly in, caused the buglers to blink at the far end - but they held their ground, about turned and marched back out before about turning again and halting just outside. Our ears were very grateful.

13 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

What's so wrong with jeans, no jackets, and no ties?  I didn't realise there was a dress code at Tyne Cot - last time I was there I was wearing shorts.

For a normal visit, fine. But for an occasion such as this, no.  

I concur, I have visited 3 times, twice i was wearing walking trousers and boots, but for a Centennial event, I chose a suit.

For a battlefield tour I will wear walking trousers, boots etc.  

When I'm in Ieper for armistice day, I wear trousers, blazer, shirt and tie, even if I knew I wouldn't be able to get underneath the gate .  

For an special event like the 31st July at Tyne Cot, if I had tickets for and I knew that King's, Queen's, Prince's and Dukes & Duchess would be in attendance. 

I would dress according to the instructions on the invitation

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Yes there was a dress code, as to graves, maybe it is an Irish thing, the graves are clearly marked, so stand beside, not on. Mas e do thoil e, (Dhia dhuit), slan.

14 minutes ago, KGB said:

Yes there was a dress code, as to graves, maybe it is an Irish thing, the graves are clearly marked, so stand beside, not on. Mas e do thoil e, (Dhia dhuit), slan.

Leave the lad alone, what about the organisers who arranged to place chairs in between the crosses Row on Row.  

I wonder how many people, were sitting on a chair which was situated above a grave, apologies to the occupant and looked at the CWGC website to read about that grave

I was surprised by how many people were there, I think 4000 tickets were issued. I meant no disrespect by where i was standing, but as far as i remember, i wasn't standing on a grave. 

I carry out, on average, about three burials a week. Carrying a coffin between rows of headstones and trying to avoid graves is an impossibility. Especially if it's an "Eight man" carry.

Leave the lad alone, at least he made the effort to dress smart and attend!

Trev

Was important to me, i attended last years Somme Centenary, both areas a relative of mines was during 1916 and 17, so it goes without question that i'd attend.

23 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Leave the lad alone, what about the organisers who arranged to place chairs in between the crosses Row on Row.  

I wonder how many people, were sitting on a chair which was situated above a grave, apologies to the occupant and looked at the CWGC website to read about that grave

I may have been hasty, I was seated in the VIP area.