Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

zero Hour z Day

Cockney

For anyone interested, the softback edition of Volume 1 is now available from The Naval and Military Press for £14.99.  A bargain!  (I've just ordered mine).

On 03/01/2021 at 09:40, Steven Broomfield said:

My copy is en route. I have received two emails from Hermes, the latter telling me they have received my parcel. I now have to hope that Mrs Broomfield is in a good and forgiving mood when it arrives.

Well, Hermes delivered at lunchtime: what a splendid piece of work it is. I might also add that I have seldom received a better-wrapped package. Any fear of damage whilst in transit can be discounted.

Mrs Broomfield contented herself with the comment that I can't go on buying books. Mind you, she's been saying that for 38 years so sooner or later I might listen.

43 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Mrs Broomfield contented herself with the comment that I can't go on buying books

I think the amended version may be what she was really trying to say.  Enjoy the book-while you can!

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Well, Hermes delivered at lunchtime: what a splendid piece of work it is. I might also add that I have seldom received a better-wrapped package. Any fear of damage whilst in transit can be discounted.

Mrs Broomfield contented herself with the comment that I can't go on buying books. Mind you, she's been saying that for 38 years so sooner or later I might listen.

My copy was also delivered by Hermes this afternoon. Agree with you Mr B about the packaging. A splendid book, even Mrs Da Valli had a look through it.  A good omen for getting the other volume!!

Edited by Ron da Valli

Got mine via Hermes yesterday 4 Jan, it was posted on 15 Dec 20, quite a while to get to me. However it is a cracker......

Edited by stripeyman

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2020 at 08:57, tharkin56 said:

I wonder if Jon Porter said the same words 'Now can't for Vol 3'

Jon says that Vol 3 will be published in about 3 years from now.

Robert

Hi All 

Thanks for that update Robert 

Did he give a clue to the area he will be covering in Vol 3

Paul

4 hours ago, norfolk1 said:

Did he give a clue to the area he will be covering in Vol 3

Sorry, Paul, but I did not check on that. My assumption is the next British Corps moving right to left in the order of battle. I will check when next in touch.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Jon has confirmed that the next book will cover across to Ovillers and La Boiselle, focusing on British III Corps.

Robert

Hi Robert 

Thanks for the update 

Paul

• 1 month later...

For those of you who can't wait for Jon's next book but want to indulge in some 1st July 1916 detail. I have just released '1st July 1916 Officer Roll of Honour' it includes 875 photos of officers that died on 1st July 1916. 385 A4 pages and took me 5 years to complete. if you look very hard you will see my name in the acknowledgements section of Jon's volume II book. I include some images I took this morning when my first copies arrived. PM me if you want to know more. You may recognise some officers from the cover. It's self published about one inch thick

1096411366_MicrosoftTeams-image(15).png.ecb18f88926992204e40a22cbc7ce8b5.png

700294718_MicrosoftTeams-image(16).png.ed6cc7d092cf0b7fbded65d1bd6615e4.png

• 1 year later...

As usual I was massively behind the times but was recommended this book on a recent trip to the Somme and Volume 1  arrived today. 

The description ' weighty tome ' doesn't do it justice, it is almost painfully heavy. 

Only read a couple of sections so far but the detail is amazing and the pictures superb. 

What a quality piece of work by Jonathan and I am now off to order Volume 2.

Neil

Volume 2 won’t disappoint and it’s even bigger than Vol 1!

58 DM.