Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

zero Hour z Day

Cockney

The postman has just delivered my copy of VolI

Wow - just wow, what the others have said about Vol II -  quality of production, photos and research are off the scale. 

Plus the weight of the thing!! -  this is twice a big as Vol I

I have had time for only the fastest of look throughs, before it goes away to Santa (I hope he has the strength to get this down my chimney. along with the other books he already has for me)

Jonathan, this is a great set of books, congratulations on the very high standard of research and production.

I wish you much success in the sales of both volumes.

Regards

Paul

:poppy: 

Leicester.

• Admin

My sons ordered a copy for their Dads Xmas present but have ended up with two copies. Should anyone like a copy they can collect from my son in Bristol until Xmas Eve or here after Xmas. A donation to the forum would be appreciated. 

Received mine yesterday - a quick flick through confirms that this is yet another high quality book 

From the annotated colour photos of the battlefields to the rare wartime photos and detailed text this is destined to be a future classic series 

well done Jon 

I have just received my hardback copy of Volume 2. Have only had chance to have a general scan but it looks to be a fantastic resource. Clive

Got mine today too. Looks really good, all 680 pages!
However, was removed from my hand, wrapped in Christmas paper and secreted in the wardrobe. V. frustrating.

58 DM.

I have mine on the table in front of me, so happy to appear in the acknowledgements.  This sets a new standard. I don't have to wait to Christmas but posting some spoilers might be a bit hard. 

Hi all

Just received my copy of vol 2, it looks great full of information .

Now cant wait for vol 3 

Paul

i am just finishing a book myself on the Officers killed on the 1st July 1916. I've managed to find over 800 photos of the Fallen officers

• 3 weeks later...

That is a great bargain, Black Maria. Thanks for the heads-up. I love my two hard-copy volumes but the soft back version will make it a lot easier for others to appreciate the fantastic job that Jonathan Porter has done.

Robert

16 minutes ago, Robert Dunlop said:

That is a great bargain, Black Maria. Thanks for the heads-up. I love my two hard-copy volumes but the soft back version will make it a lot easier for others to appreciate the fantastic job that Jonathan Porter has done.

Robert

:thumbsup:

I was fortunate enough to be sent a review copy of the first volume for Stand To! Sadly, and this is no  complaint, although I will not be reviewing volume 2 I have been offered a review of the book for the magazine. Having happily bought the book I have one question -  has anyone tried to read it in bed? It's big old unit, but what a terrific piece of work in every respect.

regards

David 

For Christmas my wife bought me a “lap office” a bean bag contraption which will allow reading of volume 2 without doing myself an injury. It is a fantastic read.

7 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Vol I (softback) at £14.99 in the N&MP sale ( at the moment ) .

Thanks for the top tip, I've been meaning to buy this for ages so the nudge (nudge) was timely.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Thanks for the top tip, I've been meaning to buy this for ages so the nudge (nudge) was timely.

Pete.

You're welcome, glad you were able to take advantage of it . I doubt they will be around for too long .

15 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

I doubt they will be around for too long

That's exactly what I thought as I hovered over the add to cart button given it's universal praise both here and elsewhere. I read Chris' review on the site and my only qualms were the prospect of the book falling on me and causing injury......

Pete.

28 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

That's exactly what I thought as I hovered over the add to cart button given it's universal praise both here and elsewhere. I read Chris' review on the site and my only qualms were the prospect of the book falling on me and causing injury......

Pete.

:lol: I noticed it wasn't available on Amazon and only a hardback copy on ABE for £55 so i think you made a wise decision .

18 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

i think you made a wise decision

It had to happen sometime on the infinite number of monkeys/typewriter/script for Hamlet principle. I was told I was right on something about Verdun earlier in the week, another first. I won't let it go to my head.

My copy is en route. I have received two emails from Hermes, the latter telling me they have received my parcel. I now have to hope that Mrs Broomfield is in a good and forgiving mood when it arrives.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I now have to hope that Mrs Broomfield is in a good and forgiving mood when it arrives.

She may wish to read it before you do.

She may wish to read it before you do.

I'm slightly more concerned she might drop it on my foot.

• Admin

Just a reminder,  if anyone wants a copy of volume 2, there is one going, to be collected from Bristol. A donation to the GWF is asked for.