Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

zero Hour z Day

Cockney

She'll love it.

6 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Well, I've just bought a copy of the hardback on line. It should arrive in time for Mrs Broomfield's birthday. I do hope she appreciates it.

If not, we know someone who will, don't we, children?

:)

Edited by The Scorer

She will thoroughly enjoy it - I promise

Waiting for me when I arrived home last night. Didn't have much opportunity to look through it, but what I did see is splendid indeed.

However, on Mr Filsell's point I have had to move Mrs Broomfield into the garage for the foreseeable future of nights. Sure she'll see the positive side.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 17:09, Steven Broomfield said:

Waiting for me when I arrived home last night. Didn't have much opportunity to look through it, but what I did see is splendid indeed.

However, on Mr Filsell's point I have had to move Mrs Broomfield into the garage for the foreseeable future of nights. Sure she'll see the positive side.

I admire your courage!

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Ordered my copy today, looking forward to receiving it

Michelle 

• 2 weeks later...

What a great book probably one of the best, cannot wait to get out there again to use the maps and info , first class!

Tony

A superlative book.... well done to the author

• 5 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 22:22, David Filsell said:

I havn't spotted any proofing errors so far

Perhaps that says it all. :P I have just finished reading the book and have been irritated by dozens of proofing errors. I question whether it was 'proofed' at all. Perhaps a 'spell checker'? Make no mistake, this is an astonishingly well-researched book and should be on everyone's bookshelves - the detail is quite breath-taking and the illustrations are a revelation which makes it all the more lamentable that such a slew of obvious errors have been permitted to get through. Don't let this put you off - the book is truly outstanding.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know when Mr Porter's next volume on the Somme is coming out? Zero Hour Z Day is a masterpiece.

I emailed Jon to congratulate him on his fantastic book earlier this month. I think the next volume is due back from the printers in the New Year.

Personally I can't wait.

58DM.

• 4 months later...

I bought this book direct from the authors place, Chavasse farm on the Somme, was there a week, and they had several copies on a shelf for folks to purchase. One the last but one evening I was there I picked it up for a quick flick around, a couple of hours later I was still there and left my 35 Euro's in the honesty jar. Best book I have read and the most inclusive book I have seen referencing Maricourt and Mametz, just incredible detail. Nearly one year on, was due to visit Chavasse farm end of May but for obvious reasons this may not happen. Was looking forward to walking the area with fresh eyes using pages from the book photographed onto my phone ( too heavy to carry in my rucksack ), but as a reference book, I can't find one to beat it.

It is a simply superb piece of work. If the Somme is your thing then this is the book for you.

David 

Edited by David Filsell

As stated a superb work, I use it in conjunction with Graham Maddocks Liverpool Pals Book and Joe Deveraux Book A Singular Day on the Somme Casualties of the Liverpool pals 1 July 16 For anyone studying that area of the Battle it is without doubt the best!

• 1 month later...

A little late to this party as my hard back copy arrived this morning ( it was only ordered last week, so I am very pleased with the delivery service, I missed details of the book back in 2016/17 or I would have purchased it then ).

I can only confirm what others have stated, this book is head and shoulders above most Somme books. I have had time only to skim through this mammoth work, but the detail, maps and photos are of exceptional quality.

This will take center stage on my book shelves next to 'The Tanks at Flers' by Trevor Pidgeon.

As you may tell, I am very please with this book, and as a little extra , the book was signed by the author, always a bonus to my way of thinking, thank you Jonathan.

Looking forward to your next work.

Best Regards

Paul

Leicester

:poppy:

• 1 month later...
On 20/05/2020 at 15:32, Whizzbang said:

Any news on when the next volume is coming out ?

The XV Corps volume should be available by Christmas.  The printers deadline is October so, providing we make that, it should be ready in December.

JB   

8 hours ago, J Banning said:

The XV Corps volume should be available by Christmas.  The printers deadline is October so, providing we make that, it should be ready in December.

JB   

many thanks for the info - look forward to reading it - can’t wait !

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading 'Zero Hour Z Day'. Superb. It sets a new standard for describing a battle of this magnitude and significance. The breadth of coverage and details across the range of weapons and support systems was appreciated. One example was the inclusion of the aerial assets involved, both RFC and kite balloons, which rarely get a mention in other works. The details included preparations for as well as execution of the battle. The coverage of infantry training was another section that stood out in regards to the former. The description of the conduct of the battle itself was the major standout though. The detailed maps linked to original aerial photographs and to modern day aerial shots with trenches etc overlaid were fabulous. It was possible to follow the activities across the units, including the German defenders, with great clarity. The photos of the men, coupled with numerous anecdotes, added the final personal touch. Cannot wait for the next release.

Robert

Second vol of "ZZ" went to the printers last week. Should be available well in time for Christmas - Okki-Kokki virus allowing.

Tom

13 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Second vol of "ZZ" went to the printers last week. Should be available well in time for Christmas - Okki-Kokki virus allowing.

Tom

Looking forward to the next volume Tom.

10 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Looking forward to the next volume Tom.

Reg - Jonathan (who had been working 23 hour days :o) was mightily relieved to get the completed work in before the final deadline. I've always regarded the first volume as something of a tour de force - vol 2 includes more material gleaned from the German archives and will undoubtedly make for a good winter read this year.

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Reg - Jonathan (who had been working 23 hour days :o) was mightily relieved to get the completed work in before the final deadline. I've always regarded the first volume as something of a tour de force - vol 2 includes more material gleaned from the German archives and will undoubtedly make for a good winter read this year.

Tom

Thanks Tom.  He does work hard - guess it's the military background!  Agree about the first volume.  I gave it the time it deserved to read it - which took me a good few weeks/months of evening reading.  I guess if the next one is out before Christmas, that will sort out my reading for the forthcoming winter.

Reg

RE ZZ vol 2

Do we know yet, what the full title will be for Vol 2 -  so i can add this to me wants list.

Thanks

Paul

:poppy:

12 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

He does work hard - guess it's the military background! 

The military background clearly shows through in the analysis of the terrain features, command and control on the battlefield, etc. This adds a lot to the quality of the book.

Robert