Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bibliography of Books on Salonika, particularly memoirs

MaureenE

Thanks Jane, sorted.

keith

Hi Keith-  I got it from somewhere reputable- so I will try to track it down again.

There seem to be 3 copies listed on COPAC/JISC Discover:  Quite happy to go and look up the BL copy and report back with more details.  This "11th edition" stuff seems a little odd for a book with such little library coverage.

Just a little guess at why it is elusive............   The place name as "Salonika" has variant spellings- and the Clark book has the older  name of "Salonica"- with a C.   My apologies if it  instructing your grandmother on making omelettes, but if you look on JISC Discover(=COPAC) with "word in title"= SALONICA you may be pleasantly surprised. I did it  for date limiter 1914-1939 and was pleasantly rewarded with some very out of the way items. Similarly, perhaps just to search on "Place of Publication"=Salonica might be rewarding. If there are any you want catalogued more fully from BL copies, then happy to pop down.

Author
  • Clark, T B.
Edition
11th ed.
Published
London : W. Nicholson & Sons, [1918?]
All Holding libraries

book

•  Printed resource
image.png.a0c0e4bb445948cd7a5de8fc301d42ce.png
Author
  • Clark, T. B., Rifleman.
Published
London : William Nicholson & Sons., [1919?]
All Holding libraries

book

•  Printed resource
image.png.dd0629a3c792ff875e49040ed6d133a8.png
Author
  • Clark, T. B., rifleman.
Edition
9th ed.
Published
London ; Wakefield : William Nicholson & Sons, [between 1918 and 1930?]
All Holding libraries

Edited by Guest

Thanks GUEST, all is now explained.

I have made greater progress than I expected, and have now listed 113 published works , some entire books, a couple only pretty much just pamphlets/monographs,  but meriting ISBN numbers.
I have incorporated all from this thread except the two items in Welsh, (sorry for that but I would need to explore so many other places to go beyond English. I ahve some tidying up to do, and then a final attack on JiSC (library Hub), and Worldcat. These might be fruitless, or present many other items with vaguely related titles that I will only include if I am fairly confident of their relevance.

I am sure that in particular there are more unit, especially battalion,  histories with a significant amount of relevant content, but there's no way I will add the monumental regimentals at this stage, unless they have some substantial Salonika content.

Keith

Available online, a recent addition to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War)  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)#Historical_books_online

"Our Serbian Expedition. A Sideshow of the War" page 101 The Boy with the Guns by the late Lieut. George W Taylor, Royal Field Artillery, 1919. Archive.org. A book in the On Active Service series. He was with the 10th Division, October 1915 to c February 1916, when he arrived back in England.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureene - I'll check through that list.I can see at least one in the first few that I don't have so far.

Keith

place name as "Salonika" has variant spellings- and the Clark book has the older  name of "Salonica

I have discovered that LibraryHub Discover does not allow wildcards in searches - i.e. Saloni*a will only pick up titles with the word Saloni (there are some).

But bookfinder.com does allow wildcards, so Saloni*a will retrieve both Salonica and Salonika. Rough and ready, but a quick way to net lots of titles.

My challenge grows by the day...thanks Jane.

Having I think recovered from a minor indisposition I shall be otherwise engaged most of the time until Friday, but will certainly follow up on that.

Edited by keithmroberts

Available online, a  further recent addition to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War)  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)#Historical_books_online

Salonica pages 94-121 The Grey Wave by Major A. Hamilton Gibbs 1920. American title: Gun Fodder; the diary of four years of war 1919. Both Archive.org. He was an officer, Royal Field Artillery, 67 Artillery Brigade, part of 10 Division, arriving in 1915.[9] A. Hamilton Gibbs (Wikipedia), novelist.

For footnote see http://www.orientalvagabonds.com/2018/11/we-will-remember-them-all.html

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureene, I'm working through all the Fibwiki items at the moment, although matters not discussed on the GWF are going to limit my progress for a few days. A minor health problem has allowed me to make more progress than I expected over the last few days. There are some great links there to titles that I had never heard of.

I suspect that the largest gaps initially will be some unit histories focussing on battalions that served in the BSF, for example I only discovered a couple of weeks ago a couple of books on the 7th Royal Berkshires devoted almost entirely to their part in the campaign.

I am downloading a lot of the fibwiki material, and may never manage to read all of it, but I am particularly finding the material on the various hospital units fascinating. I have a couple of originals and some reprints personally, but I had not realised just how much exists.

Keith

Available online,  recent additions to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War)  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)#Historical_books_online

"Serbia-Smederevo-San Giovanni di Medua" Chapter II page 82 By Sea and Land : Some Naval Doings by E Hilton Young, MP, Lieutenant Commander RNVR 1920 Archive.org . Book is catalogued under the surname Kennet - he became Lord Kennet from 1935. Hilton Young, 1st Baron Kennet Wikipedia. He was appointed in 1915 to the British Naval Mission on the Danube, under Rear-Admiral Troubridge, and was part of the Great Retreat of the Serbian Army and civilians to the Adriatic coast port of San Giovanni di Medua or Shengjin in northwestern Albania, where the Naval Mission was in charge of the evacuation. "Succor for Serbia: The British Naval Mission to Serbia in 1915" serbianna.com

"Salonika Chapter III" page 67 Last Changes Last Chances by Henry W. Nevinson 1928 Archive.org. Elsewhere, the author was stated to be "the leading war correspondent of the Edwardian era." He appears to have been in Salonika c November 1915- March 1916. Includes a short description of Captain Malcolm Burr (elsewhere stated to be in charge of No 1 Civil Labour Battalion, who wrote Slouch Hat by Malcolm Burr 1935, available at the British Library UIN: BLL01000544165, and for those with University access, on HathiTrust Digital Library). Henry Nevinson Wikipedia.

Cheers

Maureen

Just a thought but have you got the CD version of Perkins that is searchable?

I'm afraid not Mart.  I hadn't focussed on unit histories, and have some way to go on main published works. I havve added the printed version to my potential purchases, but have not found a source for the CD after a quick online search. I was frankly unaware of the work altogether.

Also I have been reviewing my original thoughts and might need to try and add the part works, where chapters only relate to the campaign.  They will add to the task, but it probably just does not make sense to leave them out.

Keith

Naval & Military Press have a CD ROM which I think is what is referred to above

ARMIES OF THE CROWN The Bibliographies of Their regimental Histories Great Britian, The Empire and the Commonwealth

https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/armies-of-the-crownthe-bibliographies-of-their-regimental-histories-great-britian-the-empire-and-the-commonwealth/

"It combines electronic reproductions of two bibliographical references essential for anyone interested in the history of the British Army’s regimental system, or of the related units of the Empire and Commonwealth.These works are Arthur S. White’s Regimental Histories of the British Army and Roger Perkin’s Regiments and Corps of the British Empire and Commonwealth, 1758-1994 (2d ed)."

Cheers

Maureen

Thank you Maureene, Found it now. I knew of the book by White, but had not been aware of this combined disk.  I'll press on with my current stages and then maybe move on to this when I am through that. I generally save up N&M items until they ahve one of their regular 20% sales, but I can see thta it might well list some relevant unit material.Just when I thought I was making good profress.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Available online,  recent additions to the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Salonica and the Balkans (First World War)  https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Salonica_and_the_Balkans_(First_World_War)#Historical_books_online

The History of the Prince of Wales' Civil Service Rifles by several authors, including some named 1921. Gutenberg.org. The 2nd Battalion was part of the 179th Brigade , 60th Division in Salonika (from December 1916) and Palestine. 60th (2nd/2nd London) Division (longlongtrail.co.uk)

"The Balkans" Chapter III, page 50 The Romance of the Last Crusade : with Allenby to Jerusalem by Major Vivian Gilbert 1923. Archive.org. Gilbert was in the Machine Guns Corps (Infantry), in the 180th Brigade, 60th (2nd/2nd London) Division (longlongtrail.co.uk) which was in Salonica for 5 months from late December 1916, until they left to join Allenby in Palestine.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen, I'm working through the entries on Fibwiki, but festive indolence and fluids have dictated a short break.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I'm getting close to completing my first draft, and will then do some quality checks for my appalling typing  before making it available  for comment. What I am sure of, is that it will never be complete and will always need some updates.

Keith

Keith are you winning. I for one have a few bibliographies on the great war (more than 20) and would have a look at it.

Nearly there Mart, I'll be delighted to send you the work to date and would be grateful for any titles that you can add.. I'm close to the end of my search with just 177 books in English. I'm sticking to English, and published books, there must be so many short articles in regimental and military journals. Maybe such additions would need a separate database.I reckon to call a break within a week or two and put what I have out for comment and addition.

Just a couple of other tracks to try first.

The first version is in draft. 189 items, almost all complete books. I have sent a copy to MartH in response to his kinds offer, and one to Alan Wakefield. Happy to share with others who think they can maybe add some titles. Please if you contact me for a copy, don't share it widely, this is still a work in progress, and the finished version will be available freely to all. I'm discussing arrangelments for a permanent home on the Salonika Campaign Society website, and how to ensure both updates in the future that will include both titles that I have missed, and new publications. Hopefully I can produce a version 2 in late march or soon thereafter to incorporate further titles, as well as to allow for some further proofreading of my efforts.

Special thanks to Maureene who directed me to the fibiwiki site which listed many titles that I was unaware of.

I have not included articles from Journals or academic papers. To do so would have been beyond my capacity, although at some future date there might be some scope. I'm also light on unit histories, although I have rejected a couple of regimental ones where there are just a few pages dedicated to the campaign in substantial volumes.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

This work is still progressing, Thanks in addition to those mentioned earlier, to who has come up with some additional titles, and to the web editor of the Salonika Campaign Society. The draft is now up to 221 titles.

• 1 month later...

The first release is pretty much complete as I have exhausted both friends and acquaintances. There will always be more to discover. It should be available soon on the SCS web site, with a free download option.

The aim is to release a second version after a few months, because hopefully there will be further contributions from other pals, and possibly some further short descriptions or  summaries to include in the notes against titles.

The list at present holds 226 titles of books solely devoted to the campaign in its many aspects, OR with substantial sections on the subject. I have not attempted at present to include articles from journals, military or academic, because the search would be unending.

Keith

• 1 month later...

It looks as if the Bibliography won't be posted to the SCS webpage until probably late July. New titles are still being added, and in some cases additional comment on titles that are listed. if any members have a special history in the campaign, I can email a draft copy, and would of course welcome suggestions for additional titles.To date it seems very heavy on medical information and memoirs; it sometimes feels as if every third volunteer medic with any unit wrote either a strictly medical volume, or an autobiography.

All I ask is that if it is shared elsewhere, is that credit is given to the Salonika Campaign Society, where the release copy will be available in a few more weeks which will be updated from time to time.

A PM with  an email address for the file will get a response within a day or at the worst two.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts

• 3 months later...

Here it is at last, I'll start a fresh post at a later date. Thanks especially to Maureene for providing the inspitation.

https://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Salonica-Campaign-Bibliography-V1-Autumn-2020.pdf

Keith

Very impressive. Looks comprehensive to me. I have a number of the books you list but plenty more to search for now. Will let you know if I have any not there but I doubt it. Congratulations.