Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bibliography of Books on Salonika, particularly memoirs

MaureenE

Well done Keith, that is a brilliant resource. 

I hope you don’t mind these late suggestions: (sorry I only noticed this thread now)

Forward the rifles memoirs by Capt. David Campbell 6th Royal Irish Rifles 

The  Diaries of Capt Noel Drury 6th Royal Dublin Fusiliers 

The history of the Leinster Regiment  by Lt Col Whitton; specifically the chapters on 1st & 6th battalions

Thanks here to Jervis, who has provided me with two titles to add for the next release. By PM he has given me sufficient info to justify the leinster volume, (some regimental histories just have only a very few pages, which really would add little.

I do welcome information about published works that I have missed, which will be added to the 2021 update, along with any corrections or helpful notes on titles that are listed without additional notes.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Another one you might consider for the next version:

HISTORY OF THE EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT IN THE GREAT WAR
NICHOLSON, C. LOTHIAN (Author)
MACMULLEN, H.T. (Author)
Littlebury (Publisher)

Part IX covers the 9th Battalion who served in Salonika and has 59 pages in 10 chapters.

KR-   Tripped over this on www.archive.org, while looking for something else.  Searched on your bibl. under "Convoy" but nothing coming up- I will have a little trawl to see if there are other runs,etc of this little mag. out there

image.png.c98184fe52828a4fc85204487cba2137.png

A little bit more.  Worldcat lists some more issues - the surviving issues seem, very helpfully, to have been digitised anyway, which may be a help.

image.png.2f9af8c360921ed8c97f04ae9d856749.png

and the top of the titlepage for the first of those issues:

image.png.03a806c76c9af8074361230502270178.png

Thanks for those, they look interesting. Although only a few pages, they are standalone items and I think worth adding to the next release. I had just been looking at the ones on Canadiana myself.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have 4 additional titles to add for the 2021 release, (treating the three editions of Convoy  as one entry). Any further suggestions will be most welcome.

Keith

As you asked.........     This little beastie might qualify.  I think it on Hathi Trust as digital but I print a lot description from Christies when a run came up a while back:

The Kia-Ora Cooee. The official magazine of the Australian and New-Zealand Forces in Egypt, Palestine, Salonica & Mesopotamia, Cairo: March 15th-December 15th 1918, first series part I-IV and second series part I-VI [all published], 4°, illustrations (several leaves in part II misbound), original pictorial wrappers (minor spotting), together with -- The Kia Ora Coo-Eee News [n.p.]: September 4th-December 18th, 1918, number 3 and 5-18 only, 4° (occasional light browning), stapled, preserved in buckram case. [BUCOP lists nos. 1-4 of first series and no. 1 only of second series, no issues of the newsletter are recorded]

There are also these items that are in the National Library of Scotland.  The BSF Library is a bit of a mystery-  if only to find out what the 4 items are, other than the other ones I have listed

The B.S.F. Library.

Names

Great Britain. Army. British Salonica Force. 

Publisher

Salonica

Date

Physical description

4 v. ; 16mo.

Language

English

Notes

Vol. 1 is of the second impression.

Identifiers

MMSID : 993438013804341

Source

Library main catalogue

Title

The lady of Kalamaria.

Names

Vickers, Roy. 

Publisher

Salonica

Date

Physical description

16mo.

Language

English

Related titles

Series: B.S.F. library ; v. 4

Identifiers

MMSID : 998762653804341

Source

Library main catalogue

Book

Natural history in the B.S.F.

Gulliver, D. A.

[Second impression.]. Salonica, 1919

Consult in Special Collections Reading Room, Edinburgh (stored onsite)(H.S.1172(1) ) 

Highland memories in Macedonia. Reprinted from the Balkan News.

Sinclair, H. (Private in the B.S.F)

Salonica, 1919

Consult in Special Collections Reading Room, Edinburgh (stored onsite)(H.S.1172(3) ) 

Thank you both. Much appreciated.

Keith

A trawl through stuff at IWM (should it ever open again....... )  shows the following for consideration:

I suspect, as you intimate, that there is some more Salonica stuff in those little memoirs published across all the decades but it may need some systematic searching by regiments and units engaged to pick some of the up. Simpson's "Coming Out of the Line" -mentioned by  Charlie, is one that has eluded the British Library-  Copyright deposit is a bit hit and miss on these sort of things.

OBJECT TITLE

SALONICA DAILY NEWS BULLETIN

LBY E.J. 2550

OBJECT CATEGORY

Newspapers and journals

PRODUCTION DATE

Unknown

CREATOR

Salonica: Anglo-Greek Information Service (Publisher)

A short history of "The Balkan News"

LBY K. 3496

Notes on warfare in the Balkan states

LBY K. 71231

THE ORIENT WEEKLY

LBY E. 74438

OBJECT CATEGORY

Newspapers and journals

PRODUCTION DATE

CREATOR

"Balkan News" (Publisher)

OBJECT TITLE

The ship of remembrance : Gallipoli - Salonika

LBY 15874

OBJECT CATEGORY

Books

PRODUCTION DATE

Unknown

CREATOR

BEITH, JOHN HAY (Author) HAY, IAN (Author) Hodder and Stoughton (Publisher)

OBJECT TITLE

THE MOONRAKER

LBY E. 11230

OBJECT CATEGORY

Newspapers and journals

PRODUCTION DATE

CREATOR

S. Pandeli and N. Xenophontides (printer) [for 7th Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment] (Publisher)

• 4 weeks later...

This book was mentioned in another  recent topic.

On The Anvil  by    Leslie Ingram Crawford 1929.

At least some of it is about Macedonia, see

https://blogs.fcdo.gov.uk/ukinnorthmacedonia/2018/11/06/bringing-people-together-through-history/

which states the author, L.I. Crawford, was a Captain with the 9th South Lancashire Regiment

The book is classified as fiction in https://www.readinkbooks.com/product/19939/On-the-Anvil-Crawford-Leslie-Ingram

Thanks Maureene, I'll check it out. Before this one, I now have 13 titles to add for the second release, thanks to yourself and members of the SCS.

Keith

That's a job for someone else I'm afraid.

Keith

There is one already : The Dardanelles Campaign 1915 ; a bibliography by van Hartesveldt, published in 1997. I think I may have it somewhere.

53 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

There is one already : The Dardanelles Campaign 1915 ; a bibliography by van Hartesveldt, published in 1997. I think I may have it somewhere.

Yes-exactly so.  The ABC-CLIO bibliographies were designed to appeal to moderate sized public reference libraries and above.  I recall there is another one done by the Australian War memorial- will try to dig out the details.

As KR has pretty much finished Salonika and got the hang of the job, then we should look to keeping him fully employed.  Labours of Hercules....... one down  :wub:

There are Bibliographies on Australian Infantry Units (1996) , The Galliploli Campaign. A Select Bibliography, RMC Duntron 1990, Fiona McLeod, There is a Canadian version too.

I have a spreadsheet that aggregates the bibliographies of van Hartesveldt and Fiona McLeod, plus some additions of my own. But it needs work!

volunteering?

Am interested in the Canadian version, MartH.

On 21/11/2020 at 03:33, b3rn said:

I could not take a lead in this - a recent letter, post-COVID, from our NHS tells me that I am no longer "vulnerable" (Yippee!!)  but have moved up a notch to be "clinically extremely vulnerable"- Lucky me!!

But I am happy to do a fair share of running around (Correction -hobbling around) towards this end. I mentioned a Gallipoli bib. as a bit of a tease to KR after the excellent work he has done on Salonica.  But the poor lad needs a break from his labours and at least one refill of the glass he is holding in his avatar. Gallipoli is a bigger bibliographical beast -  it's teamwork round a central base that will crack that - so find me the team and I will sign up.

I have recently put up a thread on little memorial volumes of the Great War, for which there is an excellent bibliography by Tom Donovan. But there are still plenty of the beasties out there to be recorded and nailed down. This ,again-as with KR and Salonica- is in no way a reproach of incompleteness, though the notion of "bibliography" tends to make it synonymous with "completist"  But the way in which books, pamphlets,etc are printed and published both now and in the past means that the chase should always yield new data. A bibliography should aim to be the focus of new information coming in, rather than any sorrow that items were not picked up first time around.

We are now comfortably past the Great War centenary and,as a former bookseller, when I look around the printed word legacy of the Great War, then it's a mess. We are not short of materials but we are at the Doctor Johnson stage-its not what we know but knowing where to look.  GWF is an example- there are so many threads that topics have been dealt with well but now not easily found.  Huge amounts of new printed stuff appeared in the centennial years but there is no one-stop "go-to" source to keep track of it. Without any form of criticism of IWM, I do wonder how much material it picked up that came out in the centennial years.

In the UK, the incompleteness of bibliography was shown dramatically  some 30 odd years ago with the construction of a bibliographical brute called ESTC- The Eighteenth Century Short Title Catalogue- which aimed to record all items printed in the UK in the Eighteenth Century or items printed in English abroad. The 3 base libraries for it were the British Library, Bodley at Oxford and the Cambridge University Library. All had huge collections, each had been extant all the way through the Eighteenth Century -Thus, it was assumed that a core bibliography based on those 3 libraries would overlap very considerably-It came as a nasty shock that there was no more than 40% overlap between the holdings of any 2 of the 3 libraries. Yet it was a salutary reminder that, realistically, a bibliography is only as good as the collecting professionalism of libraries in past years. 

Gallipoli looks a good topic to have a decent crack at-and to have a spreadsheet bibliography that can easily be added to. It is discrete both in time and territory-there are no fuzzy edges.  There are some good listings already but because of the variety of nationalities involved, materials are going to be overlooked because they are printed/published in the "wrong" country. The UK seems fairly well served-IWM, for all its current shortcomings must be the base source for stuff published in the UK. You have the excellent Australian War Memorial-which is probably the best worldwide source library for any of the countries involved. There seems to have been a revival and good work on Turkish materials which should be picked up more. NZ is a bit of a mystery but, obviously, not quite as ahead as AWM. France-well, a bit of a mystery- but the excellent online site "Gallica" -the digitised version of the Bibliotheque Nationale looks to hold a fair few items of which the English-speaking world is ignorant.

Gallipoli is "do-able" but it needs a central focus-The Gallipoli Association looks the obvious centre.  May I ask if your spreadsheet is available?  A thread on GWF to add to it on a continuing basis looks a gentle way forward.