Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bibliography of Books on Salonika, particularly memoirs

MaureenE

I think that must be the same Tom Bridges who saved the notorious situation at St Quentin on 27 August 1914.

Thanks Maureene, I have quite a number of titles to add to the second release, which hopefully will be at the end of september, to co-incide with the SCS Annual Meeting and the anniversary of the armistice with Bulgaria.

Keith

I may have unearthed a few more Serbia-oriented titles in the latest update to the Medicine + Health bibliography - on the other hand I have not been checking them against each other, so you may already have them. But ctrl-F Serbia should flag them up easily.

I can't understand this. All doctors are supposed to be unable to write properly, and I find more medical material about the campaign that anything else!

I'll check them out, thank you,

K

• 2 weeks later...
Biographical details of Olive May King (adb.anu.edu.au), an Australian, who was an ambulance driver who had provided her own ambulance with the Scottish Women's Hospitals Girton and Newnham Unit 1915-1916 which went to Serbia. In 1916 she joined the Serbian Army as a driver.

Her account appears online on many pages with catalogue entry of pages in The beauty and the sorrow : an intimate history of the First World War by Peter Englund 2011. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.

King's letters were published as One woman at war : letters of Olive King 1915-1920 edited and with an introduction by Hazel King published by Melbourne University Press, 1986. Available at Deakin University Library, Victoria Australia, catalogue entry with some details.

Maureen

I have at least one edition of Olive King's book in the Healthcare and medicine bibliography, but thank you @MaureenE  for the link to the biographical material, which I'd missed.

• 3 months later...

Release 2 of the bibliography will be posted on the Salonika Campaign Society Website within a few days. I will post a fresh topic once that has happened, and close this thread. Thanks to everyone who has suggested additional titles. I will be aiming for a further release at a similar date in 2022, so will always be grateful for further suggestions.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Release 2 of the bibliography has now been posted, so I will close this topic, and start a new one.

I won't close the thread because I didn't start it.  I will however start a new topic.

Keith

The second release of the bibliography can be found here https://salonikacampaignsociety.org.uk/publications-and-dvds/bibliography/

The additions and changes from the first edition are italicised.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts
stupidity.

• 9 months later...

IMG_20220803_081043.jpg.2bd2c385b85bd08b8c68cb8568825cb5.jpgIMG_20220803_081237.jpg.f4e38ea2428eb21c91e4266c002e6d9b.jpgNot sure if you have mentioned this one Keith. Charley Garratts story concerning his life and time spent with the Derbyshire Yeomanry. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Not sure if you have mentioned this one Keith. Charley Garratts story concerning his life and time spent with the Derbyshire Yeomanry.

No, I have never heard of it. I'm struggling to find it in WorldCat  and viaLibri., but have found this in JISC  https://discover.libraryhub.jisc.ac.uk/search?title=Charley's tale&rn=2

Could this be the first edition although it is dated 1986 not 1988 as on the book cover?

If you have a copy, would it be possible to send me images of the title and contents pages please, and if there is an ISBN number declared anywhere that would be good.

Keith

This is all there is 1993 edition. There are four photographs none of them in Salonika but one is of A Squadron in Norfolk. Early 1915.IMG_20220803_142503.jpg.2d20f18207a48154a8d2b1775ca4f01d.jpg

Thank you both.  I think that is quite enough for the bibliography; some of these rare titles are very  hard to track down.  I think the disparity in page numbers listed could either involve recording errors, or differing types of production between editions. What is for sure is that the booklet is now quite rare.

Keith

Edited by keithmroberts
typos etc.

Thanks Alan, but I think I now have enough for the limited info needed for the notes section of the bibliography. Sgt Stripes has confirmed from the text that he served in Gallipoli with the unit before it went to Salonika, but I will certainly add the information  about his audio contribution, which whould be easier to find for most than the booklet. I'll hopefully listen myself this evening. That is a real find. Thanks again.

Keith