Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Census 1911

scoz

Hi All

Dave re your post 47. Service papers on Ancestry...Pensions

George William Bennett was Pte 2861 3rd Batt KOYLI born Sutton in Ashfield Notts, aged 39 yrs 10mths when attested on 12.9.14 at Pontefract and was married to Harriet Scales on 27.11.1911, a widow!.The two witnesses were Minnie Harrison and a Hilda Wright. (Minnie still using her maiden name!)

They had a son George born 1911. When visiting on the 1911 census Harriet, aged 25 yrs declares herself a widow with 3 children. Olive being one of them. George Wm. was discharged on 20.12.15 not likely to become an efficient soldier.....still looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All

On the 1901 census, as previously posted, George Bennett is the illegitimate son of Harriet Bennett yet his father is listed as Job Hill, bearing in mind the info. on George William Bennett's records and Harriet Bennett's 3 other illegitimate children then I would tend to agree with Dave. Is Job Hill actually Job Bennett? I think Harriet was married 3 times.

Regards Barry

Just to further confuse the research...

On the 1911 census Anne Harrison and Minnie at 16 Anderson St, Tanshelf and with them are Anne's nephews John Edward Scales and Fred Scales aged 3 and 5. These are 2 of the children on the Pension Records of George William Bennett, 2861 KOYLI and surnamed Bennett. The address given being 16 Anderson Street, the same as Minnie Harrison's marriage cert..from 1910.

Olive Scales born 1909 listed as illegitimate on the records was baptised 29th April 1909 and the father was listed as Albert Edward Scales!!! He died 1906, just what can we believe?

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All

Can't leave this alone!!

Harriet Harrison, b.1885 was widowed in 1906 (Albert Edward Scales)eef76a7c-f31e-4fe7-babe-041c1b29243c.jpg3820598d-17ee-45a9-beef-2b2b7db978eb.jpg

Her son John Edward Scales born 1.5.1906 d.28.7.1987...still looking

Regards Barry

Hi Inspector

What a great find the Pension records are.

I can't see why Harriet's children born in the first decade of the 1900's are termed illegitimate. I think Albert Edward Scales died in the first quarter of 1911, ref Wortley 9c 204.

I am a bit confused though re Harriet Harrison. The 1911 census implies that she is James Harrison's sister by virtue of her children being described as nieces etc. From her birth date of 1885 she is more likely to be Minnie's sister.

David

Edit for "nieces etc" substitute "nephews".

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone established what happened to Minnie after Job's death? Did she remarry? I know one of the trees has her dying in 1977 in Garforth but is this correct Scoz?

Hi Doncater1914to18,

I haven't looked specifically except that she is on the 1939 register, with the following details:

Address 191 Fryston Road Castleford UD (I believe that road is in Featherstone)

DOB 27/8/1893, unpaid domestic duties and widowed

There are four other people in this household, two of which are officially blocked because they could still be alive.

The other two are

Eric Bennett DOB 12/5 1917, a Colliery Surface Worker and single

Leslie Bennett DOB 23/2/1924, a Shop Assistant (Chemist) and single.

David

Hi David and all

Eric and Leslie are her two surviving children, see post 26. There is some suggestion that she did remarry George Henry Moody????

Regards Barry

Hi Sleuths,

I knocked up an ancestry tree yesterday as it's all very confusing. It's here: http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/101148414/family I couldn't find a marriage for Job Hill Snr & Harriett, which is why I think the Bennett child was illegitimate and also why I think Job Hill jnr felt he had the right to call himself Bennett. The estimated DOBs for Job Bennett & Job Hill are similar and I can't find a birth for Bennett but can for Hill.

Edit: Feel free to add comments to this tree on ancestry

I think Albert Edward Scales died in the first quarter of 1911, ref Wortley 9c 204.

Hi David, have just discounted this as he was born about 1880 not 1860, according to the marriage banns.Perhaps we have two Harriets re: the 2nd marriage - or a case of divorce?

I lost track of the relationships in this thread two pages ago but Divorce is unlikely unless the petitioner is extremely wealthy in this period. What did happen a lot was that couples co-habited and passed themselves off as man and wife (Even on census returns).

I have an example from my own tree. My Great Great Grandfather appears to desert his wife after the birth of my Great Grandfather in 1853.(He disappears from the UK record) In 1861 my Great Grandfather is in the care of his widowed paternal Grandmother and his mother is living with one Edward Sales as his wife and taking his name. In1871 my Great Grandfather is living with them as stepson. My Great Grandfather marries in1878 and Edward Sales is a witness on the register. (Which makes me certain I've got this correct) My Great Great Grandmother formally marries Edward Sales in 1887, probably because they can now prove that she is a widow. My Great Great Grandfather may have been in the Navy in the Crimean War, or the Bengal Army in the Indian Mutiny, or working for the Hudson bay Company but nothing conclusive there are no further UK records of him, not criminal nor poor law and no death registration.

Hi all

Barry - how do you find such photographs? Great. Re Albert E Scales, does the source of the photograph give a source for her widowing in 1906?

npm - Thanks for correcting me re Albert E Scales. It is good that you have created a tree - the tree of (from memory) Margaret_Bennett2 gives me a headache and has far as I can see, from her point of view it is work in progress and maybe she has "put it in the too hard file". At the moment I would vote for your theory of Job "Bennet's" justification for adoption of the Bennett surname. Quite why it mattered to him though, I don't know.

Kind regards

David

Hi Doncaster 1914 to 18

Minnie Bennett born 27.8.1893 died Leeds, W.Yorks March 1977. aged 83 yrs. Vol.5, page 0016. Although baptism records show her d.of b. to be 6.9.1893.She was baptised on the same day, 25.3.1903, as her sister Lily born 4.10.1888. @ St.Giles and St.Marys, Pontefract.

Regards Barry

Hi David

The photos are on Ancestry, not so sure about Albert Edward Scales dying in 1906 as it says on a tree but he was dead by 1927 when John Edward Scales was married.

Regards Barry

Hi Doncater1914to18,

I haven't looked specifically except that she is on the 1939 register, with the following details:

Address 191 Fryston Road Castleford UD (I believe that road is in Featherstone)

DOB 27/8/1893, unpaid domestic duties and widowed

There are four other people in this household, two of which are officially blocked because they could still be alive.

The other two are

Eric Bennett DOB 12/5 1917, a Colliery Surface Worker and single

Leslie Bennett DOB 23/2/1924, a Shop Assistant (Chemist) and single.

David

Thanks for this!

I think the Hill/Bennett situation does make sense, but it makes me wonder why Job would have written his father's name as Job Bennett on his marriage certificate. While he could have felt the need to call himself Bennett rather than Hill, it doesn't make much sense for him to have also felt the need to change his fathers name. Unless he did it to safe face on the marriage certificate?

Hi All,

On the 1901 census Job Hill (Snr) is shown as born Clay Cross, Derbyshire along with the rest of the family with the exceptions of Harriet, George Bennett and Job Hill (Jnr) who were born Sutton in Ashfield, Notts. which leads me to think Job Hill (Jnr) is a Bennett. Still looking for him on the 1891 census.

Regards Barry

George Bennett born 1877 1st qtr, Radford, Notts 7b.280 possibility.

Hi doncaster 1914 tto18

Just a thought perhaps Job (Jnr) always used the name Bennett because that was his real father's name and Job Hill wanted him to take his name. Little Job wasn't in a position to do anything about but he was when he got married.

Edited by The Inspector

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone established what happened to Minnie after Job's death? Did she remarry? I know one of the trees has her dying in 1977 in Garforth but is this correct Scoz?

She never married again and yes her death was in 1977 at Garforth

Hi David and all

Eric and Leslie are her two surviving children, see post 26. There is some suggestion that she did remarry George Henry Moody????

Regards Barry

After Job died she went on to have two more children Joan 1926 whos Father is believed to be a Dunhill and Pearl Margaret Rose 1933 who is George Henry Moodys

After Job died she went on to have two more children Joan 1926 whos Father is believed to be a Dunhill and Pearl Margaret Rose 1933 who is George Henry Moodys

She did not re marry

I have checked Jobs tree that I have on Ancestry and found it was marked as private, I have changed this to public. PEARL BENNETT kit FAMILY TREE(2)_2015-04-27

Hope this helps

Just a small correction which is not likely to be of much value in the research subject.

191 Fryston Road,Castleford UD correct address is 191 Fryston Road, Airedale,Castleford .....Airedale is not in Featherstone.

The address is situated in a cul de sac off Fryston Road about 100 yards from The Square which after the war had a roundabout installed to accommodate a new housing estate access road direct to Castleford. The Magnet pub on The Square has recently been turned into a Tesco convenience store.

Its a recurring feature with the 1939 Register that full addresses are not recorded and can be incorrectly transcribed.Lock Lane in Castleford,the main road over the Aire to Tadcaster and York is recorded as "Look Lane"

Joan is registered as a Bennett and Pearl is Registered as a Moody

Hi

I presume you know:-

Pearl M.R.Moody is shown on the marriage records to Derek Sidebottom, Pontefract, 1954 2c,1251 as "Pearl M R Moody or Bennett"

Regards Barry