Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Census 1911

scoz

Hi all

Some more data, gleaned from Findmypast.

Nottinghamshire Baptisms:

Entries for St Mary Magdalene Sutton in Ashfield (transcription by Nottinghamshire FHS)

George William Bennett born 6 November 1876, baptised 26 June 1877. Mother Harriet Bennett, Father details blank. Residence of Harriet, S Normanton, Nottinghamshire.

Job Hill born 25 February 1888, baptised 19 November 1888. Father Job Hill, Mother Harriet Hill. Residence of parents, Butchers Yd, Nottinghamshire.

Militia enlistments

George Bennett attested for the Militia at Pontefract Barracks

Militia Attestation 3rd York and Lancs Regiment. No 260.

14 April 1903

George Bennett born in Sutton in Ashfield and now living for at least a year in the Parish of South Kirby Pontefract and employed by South Kirby Colliery. Marital status - single.

Service period - 6 years.

Description on enlistment.

26 years old, 5' 5 3/4", weighed 134 lbs. Chest 37" including expansion 3".

Posted to 3rd Bn on 14/4/03 and went absent on 8/5/03.

Absent from Depot on 9/3/03 and struck off.

Rejoined from absence on 2/1/05 and awarded 14 days imprisonment with hard labour by CO. Was in prison 4/1/05 to 18/1/05.

Went missing again until ?18/5/05. Handed over to Civil Power and awarded 14 days imprisonment with Hard Labour on 25/5/05.

Discharged for misconduct under para 86 DA ???.

Next of kin per military history sheet Job Hill (father) address Spink Lane Pontefract Yorks.

It doesn't seem to bother George that his father is Job Hill.

David

Edit: The colliery is "Kirby" on documents, but presumably it should be "Kirkby". As previous post pointed out, I am not a great expert on the geography of the area.

She married Derek Sidebottom but it wasn't until she needed a copy of a birth certificate that she found out that although she always went by Bennett she was actually Moody's daughter.

I think Albert Edward Scales died in the first quarter of 1911, ref Wortley 9c 204.

I take my correction back David. There are no other deaths found for this individual, I presume therefore the death registrar had bad handwriting, so that 1880 birth is typed up as 1860 on his death record. Everything else tallies.

Hi All

Her's a bit more

George William Bennett on his attestation papers to the KOYLI in 1914 more or less fits the physical description given in 1903. He told a porkie in 1914 at Question 11. He stated he has previous service in the Militia "time expired 1901" when he didn't enlist until 1903.

When attesting as 2861 KOYLI his age is given as 37yrs 10mths which fits with his D of B 6.11.1876. So he obviously wanted to hide his previous military record.

Regards Barry

Prison records confirm aged 28yrs when sentenced 5/05 for non appearance at militia training, 5'51/2", brown hair, released 7.6.05 although states no previous convictions.

Edited by The Inspector

Hi All

Found them on the 1891 census under the surname "Hile" on Ancestry. Looks like George Hill was sentenced to 14 days on 14.11.1904 for obscene language.same description and occupation , a miner. So he changed his name to Bennett when arrested in 1905.

Regards Barry

Hi npm, noticed you have updated Ancestry re the census, WHAT IS HIS FATHER CALLED? on the 1891 census he is JOSEPH not JOB! Even more confused

Edited by The Inspector

Thanks for your input everyone, I think that with your help I can see a few bricks dislodging if not knocking the brick wall down yet.

Hi All

Found them on the 1891 census under the surname "Hile" on Ancestry. Looks like George Hill was sentenced to 14 days on 14.11.1904 for obscene language.same description and occupation , a miner. So he changed his name to Bennett when arrested in 1905.

Regards Barry

Hi npm, noticed you have updated Ancestry re the census, WHAT IS HIS FATHER CALLED? on the 1891 census he is JOSEPH not JOB! Even more confused

Yes, I found the Hile entry on Saturday - to find that both Jobs were called Joseph. (I had been searching for Jacob - thinking that was an alternative). Once I got to Joseph, I've all but given up, there's quite a few of them.

I have yet to find any marriage for Harriett Bennet & Job (Joseph) Hill, yet they stayed together for quite some time. Was he already married? If it was under the name of Joseph - then good luck finding their entries.

I think a marriage birth cert of Job Bennett (Hill) jr is what's needed

Norrette

Hi Scoz, Barry and Norrette

Great find on the 1891 Census.

I find it odd that Harriett Bennett (Born 1855) has a large gap between her first and second children and then there are five children within the space of about 8 years. I don't think we know where Job (Joseph) Hill sr was in the late 1870's through to the late 1880's. Harriett is recorded as living with her widowed mother in Kirkby in Ashfield in the 1881 census. I think the only evidence that there was a relationship pre 1888 is the marriage details given in the 1911 census. It would be good to find out where Job (Joseph) Hill sr was in 1881.

David

Hi all

Searching for jo* Hil* in the 1881 census for Derbyshire residents gives a Joseph Hill, aged 27, born in South Wingfield who is a farmer of 27 acres with a wife aged 40 called Ann and a stepdaughter Charlotte Byard. Their residence is Carr Barn, Wessington, Chesterfield.

The rest of the search results are Johns.

Right area, but farmer doesn't sound promising???

David

Edit: This is a red herring. He is on the 1901 census still with Ann Hill.

Apart from muddying the waters with the forename Joseph, the 1891 is very useful in confirming that both George & Job were born in Sutton Ashfield, Notts while their younger siblings were born in Clay Cross, Derbyshire where Mr Hill hailed from.

post-13827-0-06279100-1465818951_thumb.j

Therefore it's another confirmation that Job renamed himself Bennett. Perhaps when he came of age, as did George?

Hi All

Job Hill Pte.3406 enlisted 27.10.14 5th Res Batt KOYLI at Pontefract and was disch. medically unfit 19.3.15. His wife was Harriet Hill of Back Street, Pontefract. His age was given as 37yrs 7 mths. Could this be Job (Snr) trying to con everyone?

Regards Barry

On the 1918 electoral roll Job Hill is at Back Street and the next entry is for George William Hill and Harriet Hill at Sessions House Yard. Intrigued!!!

Spring 1919 Job at Back Street on his own , Autumn 1919 Female called Hannah Hill is with him.

Edited by The Inspector

Hello again

Just a bit more cross referencing which proves undoubtedly the name changes

On the 1891 census William HILE (Hill) is shown as 4 months old his father Joseph, on the 1901 census he is Willie father JOB. Joseph aged 2 in 1891 becomes JOB in 1901

I think there was a fair bit of interbreeding amongst the Hills....family that is!

Regards Barry